Forums / Tottenham Hotspur
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Striker Does Tottenham Need To Buy This Summer? Who Will Be The Best Fit For Our Style Of Football?
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Just a few months ago many Spurs fans were calling for us to get Edin Dzeko. In the end he went to Man City and he's far from been anything to marvel at there. Would anyone still want to swap Pav or Defoe for Dzeko? I wouldn't.

This is the problem with many of the strikers shining in different leagues, when they come to England they often cannot rekindle their magic even remotely. Will be interesting to see how well Gervinho does for the gooners. He looked the part being red carded in his debut...
KylePedersen (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Eh.... It has a lot to do with team chemistry. Tevez succeeds at City because if you give him the ball anywhere in the box he's going to have a chance at goal, much like Eto'o. Dzeko is not that type of player. He also really wasn't given much time to mold himself, basically just thrown in with high expectations.

I still think he could've done well with Tottenham
KylePedersen (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
But also, you're argument is a perfect reason to take Adebayor on loan. Proven striker, great header of the ball. I think he would fit very well with Lennon and Bale's constant delivery
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Got to look at the financial side of things as well Kyle. While we never held off from spending in the market, we never threw in massive wages into the frame. We don't have the seater capacity in the stadium to do that, and that makes a lot of difference to what we can offer as wages, week in week out.

Taking Adebayor on loan will really offer us nothing.
1) A disgruntled player who wants to be in Real Madrid, not with us.
2) The mistrust of over half the fans.
3)The high wages.
4) The fact that he'll be here just for a season whilst further taking away play time from the likes of Defoe, Pav. Result? Loss of confidence, less playtime and decrease in player value.

From a personal perspective, I see no reason to take such a player on loan. If we can manage to sign in a player permanently on our wage structure that surely improves our strengths.... Then sure! But all the doomsday calls about us struggling without a striker.... I don't think there's a basis for that. Defoe and Pav are still good players. They need the support of the crowd, the support of the team and the support of the manager. Defoe seems to be going to get that this season. Find him back amongst the scoring. If pav gets the same treatment, he'll shine again
Yeah, I'm with Mad on this one. Restore the confidence of Pav and Defoe, get them back to their 2009/10 form and we'll be sweet, with VDV and Bale adding to it....
I'm sure Adebayor will score some goals whereever he is but don't see him as the answer to our problems, in fact he could just be another.

Regarding Dzeko I think Pav is all as good as he is.
Wingson (Ipswich Town) 2 years ago
Gimme Aguero any day - not Dzeko
ChuckaDuck (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
I disagree regarding Adebayor. He is a proper striker you cannot deny that. Sure it's just on loan but if that allows us to qualify for champions league, that is all we need. Think about how different this summer would be for us if we had got 4th again. If we can qualify for champions league this season then it will be a lot easier to get quality players in with the promise of champions league football. I love Defoe and Pav but honestly, they're just not good enough. Look at every other top side, they have something special up front. I think you'd be foolish to think that any of our current forwards would get a starting role in any other team challenging for the Champions or English Premier League
If Adebayor behaves and scores 20 goals for us this season he'll be a favourite, no doubt!
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Is Adebayor officially with us?
Hspurs (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Yes. It's official. Think he'll be a good player for us
There hasn't been anything official yet...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football