Forums / Tottenham Hotspur
Order: Newest / Oldest
Tottenham Top Scorers
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Jermain Defoe is rapidly climbing into a very exclusive group of Tottenham greats, with every goal he scores. His total tally in competitive matches has him, as per October 1 2011, in 13th place with 105 goals. On the place in front of him is our legendary midfielder Glenn Hoddle with 110. If Defoe hadn't spent a year with Portsmouth in the middle of his Spurs career he would have had quite a few more.

A bit further down the list Pavlyuchenko is in 54th place together with Les Ferdinand and Steve Perryman, all on 39 goals. Straight behind them we find Jürgen Klinsmann and Gary Mabbutt on 38 goals. Peter Crouch was in 69th place with 24 goals when he left.

Top 10 all-time top scorers:
1. Jimmy Greaves 266 goals
2. Bobby Smith 208 goals
3. Martin Chivers 174 goals
4. Cliff Jones 159 goals
5. George Hunt 138 goals
6. Len Duquemin 134 goals
7. Alan Gilzean 133 goals
8. Teddy Sheringham 124 goals
9. Robbie Keane 122 goals
10. Les Bennett 117 goals
Bwfyid (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
I never realised Hoddle scored so many goals for us, but the goals I have seen off him are all quality. I'm sure I saw him once lob a keeper from inside the 6yard box lool
Unintentional double post
Yes, Hoddle scored a lot of goals for us but of course he also played for a long time. His goal scoring percentage was 22%. Amongst our other prolific midfielders Chris Waddle was on 24% with 42 goals (playing about 1/3 as many matches as Hoddle did). Darren Anderton scored 48 goals but only on 13%. Paul Gascoigne was on 29% with 33 goals.
Anyway, Glenn Hoddle was one of our greatest ever players so it is an achievement for Defoe to get up there. Now he's only got Jimmy Dimmock on 112 goals between him and the guys in the top ten list!
(Pavlyuchenko moved up to 53rd with 40 goals with his cracking free-kick against Rubin Kazan.)
[account-removed] 2 years ago
Nice stats! It'd be brilliant to see Defoe up there in the top 5 before he retires/moves on. I agree that he'd have been quite a bit higher if it weren't for last year (his worst year ever, I suppose) and the Portsmouth year
Defoe's match winning goal against WBA was his 111th for the club, which takes him one past Glenn Hoddle and is now only one behind Jimmy Dimmock in 11th place of our all time top scorers. It's not impossible that Defoe could go past Les Bennett, who is currently 10th placed, already this season...
That's Defoe now on 116 Spurs goals. The next one he bags will put him in 10th equal with Les Bennett...
Defoe's been brilliant for us throughout his career. And somehow he's still behind other strikers even when he's banging in goals for fun all season even in sub appearances. I think he's got the highest conversion rate for shots outside the box this year in the PL as well. I'd say given a run now, he can challenge Sheringham's tally!
Yo mag, brilliant is deffo the wrong word to describe his career with us, he had the potential to do so much more.... Teddy on the other hand, know he was brilliant lol
Defoe has had his ups and downs but his talent is undeniable. When he's on form he should be played!
I'm not exactly trying to question Defoe's talent vs Teddy's (that somehow makes it sound like Defoe's a bear ) Just willing him to break the record by scoring more for us!

Like North says, Defoe has his ups and downs. I remember wanting to burn that 100th goal shirt last year. He wore it every time and it came back to bite him. That said, he's a player who relies on being on form and finding that perfect moment more than any other player in our squad. He's currently in one, and it would be our loss if we don't make use of it
It is a very real possibility that Defoe could end up amongst our top 5 top scorers of all time. That would be one helluva achievement and wouldn't be surpassed for a very long time
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
With Defoe's four goals so far this season he is now 9th equal with Robbie Keane. They've both scored 122 goals. Taking on Teddy Sheringham next...
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
Really? He could be 5th all timer by the end of the season, if he has another good season next time around he could go up to 4th
I think it will be a stretch to catch Cliff Jones in 4th place but 5th can definitely be within Defoe's reach! What an achievement that would be!
Slipperman64 (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
No chance of Defoe getting into the top 5 he won, t be a spur for much longer
If we manage to sell Adebayor then Defoe will stay on. If that happens it would be likely that he grabs top 5, he's only six goals away now!
In European competitions alone Defoe is now our 6th highest goal scorer. This season he has left behind him Jimmy Greaves, Ralph Coates, Garth Crooks and Robbie Keane - all on 9 goals - and Bobby Smith on 10 goals. Defoe at present has 11.
In front of him are Dimitar Berbatov on 12, Martin Peters, Alan Gilzean and Mark Falco all on 13 goals. While Martin Chivers is alone on top with 22 goals in Europe
With Defoe's goal away to Shamrock he has now scored 12 European goals which puts him 5th equal with Berbatov!

Overall in all competitions Defoe is now in 12th equal with Glenn Hoddle, having scored 110 goals for Spurs!
He can easily go second for us!
Good chance, so bring on Champions League next season!
Farewell Super-Pav! He had a better goal per minute ratio than his fellow strikers both in the 2009/10 and in the 2010/11 seasons. His technique with both feet is superb and many of his goals for us were simply spectacular. With the three goals he scored this season he ended up on 42 all together, which leaves him in 51st place on this all-time Spurs list with former greats Chris Waddle, Chris Jones and Alfie Stokes
In my books, he will go down as a very good player who just wasn't appreciated by people. He wasn't exceptional, especially in his last 10-15 games, but he was always asked to come off the bench to do an impossible job. And when he did it, he got no credit or reward. 2 and a half seasons of that, its not surprising that he's left. I still cannot fathom how people/media drool over adebayor while ignoring someone who truly could have given more. Adieu, Pav. I truly hope you do well at Locomotiv and at Euro 2012
The thing is, at one stage he was highly regarded BY THE FANS, alas the Super-Pav thing, but he got stuck in a horrible vaccum where whatever he did wasn't good enough. He lost confidence and got out of sync. In the end he became a wasted talent, like a few other players in the squad, and nobody could blame him for walking away. Who knows, maybe we'll see him again at WHL in the Champions League for Lokomotiv...
Enjoy watching him because Defoe is a legend!
With the Maribor hattrick he's not only in 8th place overall on our topscorer list, he's now also 2nd on our alltime European goalscorer list. With 15 goals only Martin Chivers is higher with 22
Top 10 all-time top scorers as per 25 November 2012:

2. Bobby Smith 208 goals
4. Cliff Jones 159 goals
5. George Hunt 138 goals
6. Len Duquemin 134 goals
7. Alan Gilzean 133 goals
8. Jermain Defoe 128 goals
9. Teddy Sheringham 124 goals
10. Robbie Keane 122 goals
From official website:

Jermain Defoe immediately placed his first goal against West Ham in the top five of his 128 for Spurs.
The striker broke the deadlock in spectacular fashion in Sunday’s 3-1 victory at the Lane.

Jermain did well to initially control Kyle Walker’s pass on the right touchline, just yards inside the West Ham half. He controlled and spun away from George McCartney and Winston Reid, darted towards the penalty area, beat Mark Noble by switching onto his right foot and rifled home from 22 yards.
It was key goal just before half-time and the lads stepped up again in the second half, Gareth Bale made it 2-0 in 58 minutes and then JD added his second for 3-0 six minutes later.
“Kyle pinged the ball into me and I thought ‘wow, get that under control’ but I managed to turn, ran with it and my first intention wasn’t to shoot but it opened up and I just wanted to get a shot off, ” he said. “I was delighted when it went in.
“It’s right up there in my goals for Spurs, top five. It’s such a great feeling to get a goal like that, I’m sure you can imagine.
“i thought we deserved it, we had chances in the first half and it was important to get that goal before half-time.
“We came out in the second half more relaxed and the second goal was key, Gareth scored that and after that it was comfortable, to be honest.
“i thought from the first minute, without the ball as well, pressing, playing from the back, the whole performance was fantastic. ”

Jermain has scored 10 goals this season (seven Premier League, three Europa League) to move onto 128 for Spurs and up to eighth in the club's all-time goalscoring list.
His next target is Alan Gilzean on 133 goals - and the legendary former striker was back at the Lane on Sunday for the first time since he left the club in 1974
Two more at Craven Cottage so that's 130 now for jer-main man Defoe!
Surajloks12345 (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
He should be 5th before the end of season IMO. Legend(too soon?)
He probably will be Suraj
AidanLuca (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
Defoe on 131 goals after the one he scored vs Panathinaikos
132 after the Villa game!
Defoe has now joined Alan Gilzean in 7th place with 133 goals. Len Duquemin on 134 next...
AidanLuca (Tottenham Hotspur) 11 months ago
5th equal!
Bale has scored 21 goals (incl 16 in the league) so far this season, taking his tally of Spurs goals to 49. He has this season passed the likes of Van der Vaart (29), Lennon, Mullery, Galvin, Gascoigne, Roberts, Mabbutt, Klinsmann, Perryman, Ferdinand, Pavlyuchenko (42), Waddle, Jones, Berbatov, Iversen and Anderton. He's now equal with John Pratt
Bale's 50th against Inter, which means he's scored 4/50 against the Italians.
Ahead of him he has four players on 51 goals, incl legend Dave Mackay
Bale finished the season now sitting pretty on the list with 55 goals, equal with our 1960s legend little winger Terry Dyson (who scored in the 1961 FA Cup final when we won the double and scored twice in the 1963 European Cup Winners Cup final). Also on 55 goals is a player from the WW1 era called Bert Middlemiss
SuperSpurs (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
He needs only 6 goals to take 5th cleanly from George Hunt, I firmly believe that he can do that next season if he stays which I think he will.

Possible for him to get 1st all-time for European goals? He's quite a ways off but we have a play-off again and six group stage matches at least. Assuming we get a new striker who will be in the line-up ahead of him, he will be played a lot in early European games
After Tblisi game Defoe now 6th on all time list with 135 goals, from 233 starts and 108 sub apps.
Epl 179 starts, 83 sub, 90 goals.
FA Cup 20 starts, 8 sub, 15 goals.
League Cup 13 starts, 7sub, 12 goals.
Europe 21 starts, 10 sub, 18 goals.
(Only Chivers has more in Europe with 22 goals in 32 starts.)

Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 11 months ago
After the Tromso brace Defoe now on 137 goals, only one more to go 5th equal with George Hunt. And two more European goals to go 1st equal with Martin Chivers' 22 European goals
Surajloks12345 (Tottenham Hotspur) 11 months ago
Getting closer and closer!
Surajloks12345 (Tottenham Hotspur) 11 months ago
5th outright now!
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 6 months ago
Farewell JD!

All-time top scorers:
2. Bobby Smith 208 goals 
4. Cliff Jones 159 goals 
5. Jermain Defoe 143 goals
6. George Hunt 138 goals 
7. Len Duquemin 134 goals 
8. Alan Gilzean 133 goals 
9. Teddy Sheringham 124 goals 
10. Robbie Keane 122 goals 

European top scorers:
1. Jermain Defoe 23 goals
2. Martin Chivers 22 goals
3. Mark Falco 13 goals
3. Alan Gilzean 13 goals
3. Martin Peters 13 goals
6. Dimitar Berbatov 12 goals
7. Bobby Smith 10 goals
8. Jimmy Greaves 9 goals
8. Garth Crooks 9 goals
8. Robbie Keane 9 goals
8. Ralph Coates 9 goals
12. Terry Dyson 8 goals
12. Gareth Bale 8 goals
14. Peter Crouch 7 goals
14. Cliff Jones 7 goals
14. Steve Archibald 7 goals
17. Darren Bent 6 goals
17. Roman Pavlyuchenko 6 goals
17. John White 6 goals
17. Tony Galvin 6 goals

On a shared 21st place with 5 goals we find Adebayor and Soldado together with Chris McGrath, Dave Mackay and Graham Roberts

Kick4Life - changing lives through football