Forums / Tottenham Hotspur
Order: Newest / Oldest
2011/12 Squad
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
The Birmingham game will be the end of the road for several players in our squad.
- Kranjcar, Pavlyuchenko, Hutton, Bassong, Woodgate and Pletikosa will probably all leave, in addition to Dos Santos, Bentley, Keane, Alnwick and O'Hara unlikely to come back.
- Corluka might possibly leave and it's not impossible Palacios, Jenas and Defoe could head towards the exit as well. (Personally I'd like to see Corluka, Jenas and Defoe staying.)

- I hope Cudicini will stay and that Gomes gets on top of things again for next season. I'm in two minds about getting another goalkeeper but Ali Al-Habsi or Ben Foster would be the most obvious targets.

- In defence I think we have lots of options already with Corluka (if he stays), Kaboul, Walker, Naughton (who possibly could be sold), Dawson, Gallas, King, Assou-Ekotto, Rose, Caulker and Khumalo.

- Difficult also to see how we can improve the midfield. We already have Lennon (whom I certainly hope won't leave), Bale, Modric, Van der Vaart, Huddlestone, Sandro, Pienaar and the likes of Jenas, Palacios and Livermore fighting for a place in the starting XI. It would be difficult fitting another world class midfielder into this, without some of our proven stars leaving.

- Up front I believe Harry is happy to keep Crouch and use him the way he has all season. If one or two new strikers are brought in I think both Pav & Defoe will move away. I like Pav but he's more than unlikely to stay regardless. If we can't get rid off Robbie Keane he'll still be there as back-up...
I see The Guardian quoted Harry Redknapp saying he doesn't want to sell Defoe but that about half a dozen players will leave. Also that he confirms his interest in Scott Parker. If Parker comes and Harry continues so reluctant to rotate the squad, others will leave, one of them possibly Lennon.
Bale could end up being pulled back to LB
Bwfyid (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
This is the team I think we should keep and the formation I feel we should play to be at our strongest....

--------------------Gomes/Cudicini

Walker/Kaboul - King - Dawson/Kaboul/Gallas - Ekotto/Bale

-----------Sandro/Palacios - Huddlestone/Modric

Lennon/Bale/VDV -- VDV/Kranjcar -- Bale/Modric/Piennar

---------------------------Defoe / ££££

Bench: Rose, Crouch, .... Naughton, Bostock, Townsend and Livermore have looked quite usefull when I have seen them and Harry Kane/Paul-Jose Mpoku are showing good potential too. Kanes goals to games record is quite impressive wherever he has play so far especially considering his age. Any of those barring the obvious may be back out on loan next season. Looking forward to seeing them in pre-season.

I've picked players more than once in different positions as they are more than capable playing there if needed.

I agree, we have one helluva squad (if they're to be used and taken advantage of by rotation) and aren't in desperate need of that much. Can we get that one very special striker, we would have a team that can challenge in every competition.
Kranjcar unfortunately just won't happen...
The fact that the club is so keen on signing Parker could easily indicate that they're preparing for losing Modric. If Man Utd pay more than 30 mill. (and maybe also throw in Berbatov....) Levy could go ahead whether Harry likes it or not. Luka has lately kept all options open. He says he has no plans leaving but that one never knows...
30m + Berbatov would be a deal Levy would start licking his lips at I think.... Harry has to go into his office, proceed to slap him, and then tell him that he's not for sale no matter what the price is. Harry doesn't f**k around and if Levy starts selling our best players I can see him leaving. His stock is high after what he has done at Tottenham and he can find another good job but I think if Levy & Co show ambition and try to push us on another level again then Harry + Players will happily stay...
If Alex Ferguson is determined to get Modric, United could come up with that kind of scenario - 30m + Berbatov.... If Levy at the same time secures Parker I'm afraid Modric will be gone...
Starting to sound more and more like a possibility that Modric will leave, and then it makes more sense chasing Scott Parker....

I agree with almost everything you wrote there apart from Corluka and Jenas. Our midfield can cope without Jenas now for sure and I have no problem with Walker taking Corluka's shirt. I hope high hopes for Kyle Walker, if he gets games for us next year he could well be going to Euro 2012. I think Kranjcar and Dos Santos will leave, but they are the only two ill regret seeing go. There's alot of potential in dos santos and I really think we should keep him for a bit longer. Kranjcar should leave simply because of the way he has been treated, theres so many times when VDV has got injured and we have a player on the bench like Kranjcar who is made for that position behind a lone striker but instead Harry will throw on Pav.... Or Defoe.... Or Crouch.... Kranjcar has looked more dangerous in his time on the pitch than all 3 of them put together. Really think Harry missed a trick with that one because I usually agree with his tactics.

The potential within this squad is huge, in my lifetime I have not seen a better bunch of players at Tottenham and with the right investments we can push hard for a top four spot next season
BUT if keeping Corluka means keeping Luka happy then by all means let the guy stick around.... All for Kranjcar staying if it wasnt clear in the above post
If we have Corluka, Walker and Kaboul to pick between at RB we're certainly well covered. Corluka ticks well with Lennon and as you say, he's Modric's best mate. So I'd keep him!
Jenas we should keep, if he's happy to stay on as a fringe player, coming on for us when the 1st and 2nd choices can't play...
Eezzee (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I'm most worried that we're going to end up with a Dinosaur striker, , and an overpriced young gun
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Overpriced young gun is Bojan Krkic. Hope not though lol...
Rowntreee (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I truly believe we just need to play Pav up front in a 4, 2, 3, 1 formation like so

--------------------Cudicini

Naughton/Kaboul - King - Dawson/Kaboul/Gallas - Ekotto/Rose

-----------Sandro/Walker - Huddlestone/Modric

Lennon/VDV -- VDV/Modric -- Bale//Piennar

----------------Pav
Highest on my wish list for the coming season would be to get rid of Crouch. If Redknapp could only come to the realisation that Crouch is a major distraction, especially for Redknapp himself. Give Pav & Defoe plenty of play-time up front, still with the possibility of Van der Vaart playing off them in a 4-3-1-2. Even good ol' Keane will be of better long-term value than keep playing Crouch. The EPL managers & defenders have worked out how to deal with him as he's got balance like a one-legged tin soldier. Redknapp has to start thinking formations and tactics more than he has done. It's not enough just to throw the lot on and hope that VDV and Bale will sort it all out and win every match for us...
Hspurs (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Crouch's record in Europe's what's saving his ass at the moment. 4 goals in the premiership all season is just not good enough for a striker of tottenham
Crouch is a usefull asset from the bench, but that's it...
Yes, he should have been played as a super-sub, while Defoe and Pav always should have been the pick ahead of him. Our forwards simply haven't been managed as they should the past season
Why are we trying to get Scot Parker?
It's simply because our manager is a bit sentimental and one-track-minded, trying to revive some old dream he had at West Ham.
(Oh yeah, and to fill the void if Modric leaves....)
ShelfsideMax (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I'm actually a fan if Scott Parker and hope we sign him, especially if we sell Jenas etc
ShelfsideMax (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
*of
Jenas is happy to be a fringe player in Tottenham and spend time on the bench. The likes of O'Hara isn't and neither is Parker...
Yeah Jenas is useful as a squad player, I wouldn't want to stall either Tommy or Sandro's development, which signing Parker would do...
It should be a no brainer to keep Kyle Walker and Danny Rose at the club this season. They're both eligible as a U-21 this season, which means they don't go under the normal 25 player quota. Both players have proven that they're capable of contributing at Premier League level so we should keep them as back-ups to to the likes of Corluka/Kaboul and Assou-Ekotto. By not going out on loan elsewhere they'll also get the chance of experience playing in Europe this season.

Steven Caulker is another player, though with him there's been talk about loaning him to either Swansea or Norwich this coming season. If he's sent out on loan, hopefully it will be with a Premiership side this season
I totally agree man. Let our hungry youngsters play for us! And sell the fringe players to get $$$ to buy a superstar striker
Some will probably be loaned, but the good thing about playing Europa League is that some of our youngsters will get the chance there, such as Rose and Walker. I just hope we don't sell too many, we need some depth. The top of my wishlist is Rossi or Aguero
Agree with everything you say here mate
KylePedersen (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Modric will certainly go at this point.

---------------Damaio/Pav--------------
Bale/Dos Sant----VdV/Dos Santos--------Lennon/Vdv
------------Hudds----Sandro----------
BAE/Rose--King/Gallas-Dawson--Corluka/Walker

Sandro and Hudds working on the distribution and Sandro could be very effective going forward, as we've seen in this last season.

Posted this on the page, but thought this would be a worthwhile addition
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
-----------Friedel-------------
Walker--King----Dawson---Ekotto
---------Huddlestone-----------
Lennon--Pjanic/Parker------Bale
-----------VDV/Mata------------
---Rossi/Sturridge/Defoe-------
Rebel that's quite unrealistic.

I would choose gomes over friedel. Gomes has been great in pre-season.

-King will be fit for 1 game each month.
-Huddlestone is still injured. Livermore will fill Huddlestones role for the first part of the season.
-Defoe will be loaned out if we get Llorente
-Lennon-VDV-Bale will be our main attack force. Crouch will be point man, like last season.
-If barton comes in then expect him next to modric as sandro and huddlestone are out. Like I said earlier livermore will be backup.
-I reckon Kaboul will play next to Dawson.
-Rose will be backup for left back, as pienaar will cover left wing.
-Kranjcar will be a big player for us next season I think. If VDV gets a knock expect him to come in. His pre-season has been amazing in the free roaming position.
Oh yeh two words. Harry KANE!    He needs to be playing first team this season. Cups or europe most probably though
- We all wish success for Kranjcar. He can rotate playing instead of Modric, Bale and VDV!
- Livermore and Jenas will be the ones filling in when Huddlestone and Sandro are out (unless we get Lassana Diarra).
- Dawson will have Gallas, Kaboul and King fighting for fitness and to play next to him (and Samba, if we get him).
- I also think Gomes is still first choice, for now anyway....
- Harry Kane and Souleymane Coulibaly will for sure be tested in some competitions for the first team....
I'm going to the friendly tomorrow so I can see if Llorente is as good as Pav
Right, jenas was the worst football player I have ever seen. He gave the ball away so much!

We neeed to keep crouch he was superb yesterday as was defoe. Pav was awful. Pienaar was awful too. Bassong was crap.

When Harry change the team to this, we played so good.

-------Defoe------Crouch----------
Bale---Modric---Kranj------Lennon
------------------------------------------
BAE---Kaboul---Dawson---Walker
-------Brad---------------

Livermore was amazing
Watching bale was so awesome too. He is worldclass we won't be able to hold onto him next season if we don't get champions league. Shame but I'm glad he wants to move abroad and not stay in the EPL
Not looking good for Jenas, that's for sure. Great that Livermore is really getting into the swing of things and will probably get plenty of playtime this season.
If Harry has learnt his lesson now regarding rotation of the squad, we might get to see plenty of Kranjcar - paired up with Modric or VDV and with our wingers still on the field. Wouldn't we all just love it if Kranjcar gets a major role within the team again!
As much as I harp about giving players a chance, I don't have much faith in Jenas. My pecking order for the 2 man midfield would be Modric, Sandro > Kranjcar, Huddlestone> Pienaar, Livermore> Palacios, Jenas. Its certainly not looking good for Jenas if he falls behind Palacios, who we know gives the ball away like he was somewhat allergic to it. I can still think Palacios can somehow crawl his way back with a lot of hard work.... Jenas might be beyond that. He needs regular playing time to get some confidence, and might be best for him to move on. I wouldn't mind if suitors for both Palacios and Jenas were found and we promoted Livermore when someone's injured. Considering the amount of injuries we have for our midfield, we might need another young prospect who can step into the europa games alongside Livermore. Helps decrease our wage bill as well.

I absolutely loved the Modric Kranjcar pairing. They looked at ease with each other. Both of them played box to box, and it was heartening to see Harry fiiiinally try it
Maybe modric had a word with harry. Maybe that's why his staying?
Okay okay, another idea for no Modric.

---------------Defoe/Pav/Llorente---------
------------------vdv-------------------
Bale--------------Niko---------------Lennon
---------------Hudds/Sandro-------------------
AEK/Rose-Dawson-King/Kaboul/Gallas-Walker/Corluka

I think that Niko & VdV playing close to each other could be fantastic. I'd worry a bit about their defensive mindset. Not sure about Niko, but I wouldn't expect VdV to track back ever.

Our wingers doing their job, and Niko and VdV combining for through passes and taking those shots from outside
I'm a massive fan of Kranjcar, but he doesn't do as well as Modric to track back. The formation might work still, if Sandro is playing. He has a lot more energy atm than Huddlestone. Would be tough to see it work if both Kranjcar and Hudds are on the field through the centre
Agree with everything you say. If we pick up Diarra he and Sandro could take turns working this formation.

We just need to play Niko or let him go somewhere else. Such a huge talent being wasted. So sad that he isn't a star for someone, anyone! He's a great player and has proven himself time over again that he is worthy to be a starter in the Premier league

Kick4Life - changing lives through football