Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Your Favourite Formations
Hikmat (Real Madrid) 1 year ago
Borg (Manchester United) 1 year ago
My favorite formation to watch right now is Napoli's 3-4-3 formation which is quite unorthodox. It usually looks something like this but Cavani is usually CF and Hamsik to his right:

In this formation the two CM's are very well-rounded players. They can make defensive plays but they are also very competent passers. The wing players have very high fitness and the must track back to help in defence for the formation to be successful. The 3 defenders are not very mobile and they are pretty much CB's for the most part. The formation allows the opposing team to have a lot of possession but it is also deadly on the counter-attack which is why I really like it.

The 3 attacking players are probably the most enjoyable part of the formation. They are very quick to break on the counter and the combination play and understanding between the 3 is superb.

TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Yeah Napoli have a good thing going on and they have continued that even with the loss of Lavezzi which I think some will argue that it has made the team more balanced. I am excited to see Insigne in action, he is definitely one of the most exciting prospects in Europe
Borg (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Yes, people following Serie A and Napoli are buzzing about Insigne and he is a real talent. Hopefully Vargas can also improve and get some more games
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
This is what I use in FM, I usually choose teams which can play this formation to begin with or use players out of position to do so

Very important to have the wingbacks paired with inside forwards!

The Central Midfielder can usually be anything, whatever I need for that game, sometimes I add another ball winner or use a deep lying playmaker. Box to box probably works the best though.

This is what I switch to when I need goals

ManUK (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I like to play with a 4-2-3-1 in general because that creates lots of natural passing angles and is easily adjusted.

Like on Man Utd our best starting line-up

--------De Gea-----------
-Rafeal-Vidic-Evans-Buttner-
-----Cleverly--Scholes-----
Valencia--Kagawa--Rooney
-------Van Persie--------

But easily transformed into more of a 4-3-3 with roaming forwards.

--------De Gea---------
-Rafael-Vidic-Evans-Evra-
----Cleverly--Carrick----
--------Kagawa--------
-Rooney-Chicharito-RvP-

Or an attack like so -

----Cleverly-Scholes---
Rooney----------Kagawa
---------rvp------

Overall I like the 4231 the best because you can easily mold it to the players you have.

AnthonysOpinion (Atlético Madrid) 1 year ago
This is usually my go to on Football Manager, but I prefer to start with the 4-3-3. If things are looking bleak and I would like to possess the ball, I'll bring those attacking forwards back into the midfield into a 4-2-3-1
Just a test to see if this works
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Yeah neither could I so I took a screen shot and uploaded it to photo bucket and did it that way! Maybe Dingle can explain how he got it to work!

Edit: actually ManUk did you click on the HTML box box below before you submitted your message?
Dinglehater2 (West Bromwich Albion) 1 year ago
Just click on the HTML box below and copy and paste the HTML link from the website and watch the magic happen ManUk
Nope not for me the html link just keeps disappearing
no wories ManUK. What I can suggest is to put in your formation on here just as it is. For example

--------------------------------Long------------------------------
Odemwingie--------------Gera-------------------------Brunt
------------------Mulumbu------------Yacob-------------
Ridgwell-------Olsson----------McAuley------------Reid
-----------------------Foster------------------------------

Don't let that stop you from putting up your favoured formation/formations. Quite eager to see other people's favoured formations and their logic behind it
Aye I do it all the time, but I was hoping that it would work

Good formation John. West Brom have a similar formation with two defensive holding midfielders which allows out attackers to go forward. Normally also use this formation on FIFA

Although another formation I'm admiring is the Italian/Juve formation which normally has 3 in the back. City have started using this formation as well. Good thing about it is that the wingers tend to be full backs and can defend and attack at the same time. A powerful formation that has seen Juventus continue a long unbeaten streak.

Whats your favourite formation?!

Whether its for your club side or Football manager what would be the favoured formation that you would use to get the best out of your team?!

For instance at my club Rangers I think we have more in midfield than up front so I would more than likely try to play an attacking formation by packing out the midfield, something like a 4-5-1,

This way we can use the creativity of our midfield to get the most chances to the target man in the forward position!

We don't have plenty of options up front so I think our midfield is out best form of attack!

I used this site to enter my formation!

Link: lineupbuilder.com/

What do you guys think?!
I had to take a screen shot to get it to upload though!
And I just realised I missed out the LM position! Lol

Ther's a young 17yr old that has been playing great recently his name is Fraser Aird!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football