Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Your Clubs History And What Makes It So Unique
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Each club has its own story and probably an amazing one at that. Share with us your favourite part of your club's history. Whether it be an event, a player, a game, a season, a person, anything which you are proud to say happened at your club. We must also not forget the tragedies which have happened either because they have been equally, if not more influential to the clubs existence than anything else.

If you support more than one club, feel free to share that as well.

I'll start it off.

Mes Que Un Club is the motto for my club. I've seen it dragged through the dirt on this site and it hurts me and I'm sure it would hurt a true Culer even more to see what has been said.

The part about FC Barcelona which makes me proud to support is how much the club means to Catalunya, especially during the times oppression. I love reading about how the Catalan language was once banned and that the only place which you could speak Catalan in public was at Camp Nou.

Usually it is the club which needs the supporters but this is one of the few times that one can say that the supporters needed the club
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I've seen documentaries about Barcelona during the Franco Era and found it really interesting to see what the Catalans went through. Have you ever seen the documentary "The Heights of Passion; Barcelona vs Real Madrid"? It's really good, if you haven't seen it you should
Nope I have not but I went immediately to my torrent site and found it.... Its the only one of the Height of Passion series with seeds.

Anyways thank you for that
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I would actually like to detract from this idea of "club history and roots" because if you look at the modern game at the club level, two things emerge - club football, especially UEFA Champion's League is the highest level of football in terms of quality, and also the fact that the players are mercenaries (professionals would be a better word), which I have no problem with, but basically this means they are free to establish for themselves whatever career path they chose.

Another reality is that the sport is truly globalised. I live in Canada yet there I am skipping the class after lunch break to see some Arsenal action! It's also highly naive for local supporters to start screaming glory hunter because frankly, its the overseas support and overseas television deals that's bringing in all the big money, and the overseas talent subsequently.

I really appreciate history lessons, and yes, "mes que un club" is one annoying motto for opposition fans to have repeatedly drilled into their ears, but for me, I don't support Arsenal because of history. Then what do I support? I started supporting Arsenal as an eight year old and Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Reyes, Lehmann, Wenger were my heroes and idols.

I grew up playing this sport and Arsenal have always been joyous to watch and soon it became this passionate obsession of mine. Not because of history but because of the history I was witnessing being created in front of me. If everyone in the current Arsenal team and Wenger suddenly left tomorrow, would I still love the Arsenal because its 'my' club? Probably not, but that's not going to happen anyways.

Conclusively, I say what's special about Arsenal is that under Wenger, they have aspired to something that completely seized the EPL by storm in their ethics, playing style and professionalism. I love that, adore that, hence why I am a fan
I appreciate what you are saying but just because you like Arsenal because they play nicely doesn't mean they don't have a great history.

Did you know that Arsenal was started by factory workers which manufactured weapons?
Arsenal was also once known as the club for the working class if I am correct while Chelsea was the club for the more fortunate.

Knowing ones club makes it much more interesting to follow and gives so much more depth to the derbies. Its much more than big club vs big club. Also, knowing ones club gives you loyalty. As you said, if Arsenal were to just go into a major rebuild this summer there is no reason to stay with them anymore unless you find a connection personally
Yeah, Chelsea was the posh, fashionable club back in the day. I love Arsenal's history although the weight of it is hard for the players to carry at times
Andylim (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Not dwelling on Barcelona's history, but I think it really is 'more than a club. ' Barcelona have recently started to join in other sports such as rugby, ice hockey and basketball, and have excelled at it.

I think for others to judge Barcelona's football side only is rather arrogant as most other big football clubs most probably don't also own a basketball team that is the best in the world.

Barcelona is more than a club because it represents Catalonia; it is the pinnacle of Catalonian pride.... I'd even stretch to say that Catalonia won the world cup!

I'm very sure if Spain separates from Catalonia Barcelona are going to be the capital city
Many of Spain's football clubs are actually multi-sport clubs with Basketball being the 2nd biggest.

Yes we did beat the Lakers in a friendly but saying our basketball team is the best in the world is going much too far. I think you could argue that its the best outside of the NBA.

Just to clarify. It is Catalunya that is a part of Spain, not the reverse. Undoubtingly Barcelona would be the capital of Catalunya because it already is. But Catalunya leaving Spain would be a bad thing for all parties because Spain has other volatile states such as Basque Country, Andalusia and Galicia. Once one breaks all the others will follow
Hey TheBarcaShow, I think you're spot on with this comment: "knowing ones club gives you loyalty." I spend a lot of time reading and learning about Arsenal's history and find it extremely fascinating. Since our club was formed in 1886, a lot of things have happened (to put it mildly) but I'll try to give some insight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Founded in 1886 by factory workers who manufactured arms for the Royal Army and the team was called Dial Square, then Woolwich Arsenal, Royal Arsenal and finally just Arsenal. The reason why we started wearing red was because some of our first players were Nottingham Forest players. The white sleeves are allegedly because our owner at the time owned Fulham as well (or because he just wanted the team to stand out depending on what book you read.)

We started in Kent but moved around a bit because playing away games with limited money and resources for travel was bankrupting the club and ended up in Highbury, North London near to Tottenham Hotspur in 1913. Also, in 1914-15, Man Utd and Liverpool fixed a match with had a detrimental effect on Chelsea, and they finished in 19th place at the end of the season, with only Tottenham Hotspur below them in 20th place. After WW1, the Football League was going to expand Division 1 from 20 to 22 clubs. They decided that Chelsea could stay up because they were effed over by Man Utd and Liverpool and they promoted Derby County and Preston North End. However, Tottenham Hotspur was still relegated and Arsenal who were in 6th place were promoted to Division 1. These two events led to a century of fierce rivalry and bloody derby matches.

Arsenal experienced success in the 1930s and the late 40s and early 50s. In 1970-71, Bertie Mee's Arsenal became the 2nd team in the twentieth century to achieve 'The Double.' From the late 80s (under George Graham) to mid 00s (under Arsene Wenger) we experienced various forms of success as well. Under George Graham, we won the Double again. Arsenal were a hard to beat, strong cup team but extremely boring due to his emphasis on defending. However, George Graham laid the foundations for the Club's modern-day success.

Graham revitalised the Club, bringing through a talented generation of young players such as David Rocastle, Michael Thomas and Tony Adams and supplementing them with a raft of astute signings including Lee Dixon, Nigel Winterburn and Steve Bould. That trio, along with Adams, became the Back Four, the bedrock on which Graham's (and subsequently Wenger's) success was built.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our club has revolutionized English football thanks mainly to 2 of our greatest managers: Herbert Chapman and Arsene Wenger.

Herbert Chapman Innovations

Chapman introduced numbered shirts to the game in the 1920s.

He brought about the use of white footballs as opposed to brown footballs because they were hard to see in the mud.

For the FA Cup final of 1930, at Chapman's suggestion, players of Arsenal and Huddersfield Town emerged from the tunnel side by side and this practice has been continued ever since.

Under Chapman in 1932, Arsenal became the first football club in the world to have a train station named after them. Still the only one in London to have this privilege.

He instructed the practice of players clapping all four sides of the ground as a mark of respect to both supporters.

After the offside rule was changed in 1925, he introduced a 3-2-2-3 formation (WM) to usher in a never before seen form of attack.

The semi-circle that you see on the edge of the penalty box was first suggested by Chapman.

He realized that floodlights could be used at football grounds. They were installed at Highbury in 1932 but authorities would not sanction their use until the 1950s (nothing changes eh?)

He took Arsenal across the Continent for friendly games and tours making the players famous across western Europe long before official European competitions were even though of.

Herbert Chapman died at Highbury Stadium of pneumonia.

Arsene Wenger Achievements

Arsene Wenger revolutionized the diet and nutritional intake of the team, making innovations that have been since replicated by other clubs.

He increased the amount of stretching players did and employed massuers.

In 1998 Arsenal became one of the first clubs to be awarded Academy status thanks to Wenger.

Wenger also designed the new state of the art Training Centre.

Wenger played a key role in planning the Emirates Stadium, including the size of the pitch and the design and temperature of the dressing rooms.

He also arranged for the temperature on the team bus to be raised in order to keep players' muscles supple, something also copied by other clubs.

Under Arsene Wenger, Arsenal won 11 trophies, did the double twice, won the Premier League unbeaten (for the second time in the history of football) and continued unbeaten for 49 games, went without conceding a single goal in the 2005-2006 Champions League until the final against Barcelona, never finished outside of the top four since 1996 despite using all of our financial power to erect a stadium at the expense of signing top-stars.

In 2002 Wenger was awarded France’s highest civil honour, the Legion d’Honneur. In 2003 Arsenal won the FA Cup and Wenger was awarded an honorary OBE for services to British football. In 2006, Wenger was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in recognition of his achievements as a manager in the English game. In 2007, Wenger had an asteroid, 33179 Arsènewenger, named after him by the astronomer Ian P. Griffin. Together with Herbert Chapman there is also a bronze statue of him at Ashburton Grove.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to know more you can look at this video (continuations are next to it on youtube):

References: Gunners Lists by Chas Newkey-Burden,Link: www.Arsenal.com , Wikipedia, The Official History of Arsenal 1886-2003 DVD
Myself (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Nice work Jet!
Tigermelon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Weeell done! God, I love this story! If I ever get kids this will be bed time story eeevery night! Think I spent like five hours in the arsenal museum just walking around and looking at it all!
That was a really interesting read, thanks for that piece
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Great piece of info, clearly explains a lot of the gunners history
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 3 years ago
Wow Jet nice work. I don't like Arsenal one bit more after that but I do respect the heck out of you. Just joking really great club great history. Thanks
Lol! I found out a lot about the big clubs over the years (Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Inter, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs) but I want to read about the other clubs, yet no one else seems to be writing anything.... How do we promote this thread?
Sam (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Did you just include Spurs in that list Jet? Clearly, that must have been a typo!
Hehe
Cloudst 3 years ago
Awesome write up jet!
Thanks guys, btw I forgot to mention:  Arsenal is the ONLY English football team not to be relegated from the top flight of football
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Great Club History
Azeal (Liverpool) 3 years ago
@Jetlifari

Sorry, but you are wrong. Arsenal was once relegated from top flight football.
Source: Link: www.arseweb.com/history/history1.html
"Unfortunately, relegation followed in 1913, but coincided with a major landmark in the club's history"

And this one has the lists of clubs who actually has never been relegated:

Link: answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2011011609080...

:] Shouldn't have written those words in bold
Andysbs (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Wow. I didn't know that much about arsenal. But a colourful history you have. Good job with this piece
Alfrodo (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Well done Jetlifari, interesting and informative. And thanks for putting the reference at the bottom, most people forget to do that. I now have even more respect for the gunners
Merci beaucoup monsieur. Took me a while to write it out and I think I still missed out a few pieces but it reads easily enough
Barcelona9 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
What a great forum this is and TheBarcaShow I think your right. Learning about your clubs history and other clubs history gives you way more debth to the derbies. I know some derbies but usually when the smaller clubs play I have no clue about their history and their rivalry and that makes it less interesting.

I mean the Barca and Real game this season, me and all of my friends skipped to watch it. Some of us were Barca fans and some of us were Real Madrid fans and some were fans of EPL teams but came along because we were talking about that game for a long time. But anyways after the game my friends who supported Real were really really upset and my friends and I who support Barcelona were really really happy. Like I was shocked and happy at the same time. I could not believe it and same thing happened to my "Real Madrid" friends. But my friends who support EPL teams they just thought it was a good game and Barcelona won 5-0. They didn't really know the history and the rivalry of these two teams. But for us it was more than 5-0 domination of the match, it was something really special and I won't forget it.

All in all knowing the history and the rivalry makes you understand the tension and the intensity of the players and of the game
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Liverpool FC is one of the biggest clubs in the world. We have a massive history which is the pride of our supporters from around the globe. At Liverpool FC we like to think or ourselves as a family, it doesn't matter if your black, white, orange, yellow, pink or from mars we love one thing, and that is our club and the football it plays, and we all (well most of us) hate the same club too .

It would be unfair to this club if I just posted the amount of titles we have won. Even through winning is very important to us, Liverpool FC means much much more, like one of our all time great managers, Mr Shankly said "it's not a matter of life or death, it's much more" that's what this club means to it's fan and loyal supporters who have been and still supports the team unconditionally through thin or thick. This bond hasn't been built in a year but through many years or pain and joy as the following paragraph will show you. Hope you guys enjoy the history.
Ynwa.

Origins of Liverpool Football Club

When the Football League was founded in 1888, Anfield was one of the League's original grounds. On September 8th of that year - the very first Saturday of League football - Anfield welcomed Accrington as visitors to play not against the 'Reds', but the 'Blues' of Everton Football Club.

The blue and white quartered shirts of Everton FC made quite a name for themselves at Anfield winning the League Championship in 1891, but this is to run ahead slightly. Both Everton FC and Liverpool FC owe their existence to a Reverend Chambers of the then newly constructed but now demolished church - St Domingo, and to John Houlding - Tory MP and Mayor of Liverpool who ultimately caused Everton FC to leave Anfield and who created Liverpool Football Club.

St Domingo's football team was a strictly amateur affair created amid the belief that young lads could better be kept on the path of religious well-being through a healthy passion for competitive team games. After only a year or so of enthusiastic play in Stanley Park, they renamed themselves Everton Football Club in honour of the location of their founding church. The St Domingo's team met however not at Church, but the Queen's Head Hotel in Village Street adjacent to "Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House". From this Everton FC gained their curious nickname of "The Toffees". In adopting the name Everton, the team ensured that they would permanently struggle to be located with confidence by those from outside of the city and lead to Royalty asking "Tell me, from which part of the country is the city of Everton?" nearly a century later.

The fledgling Everton played in a number of locations but settled in a greenfield site between Anfield Road and Walton Breck Road. So was born one of the great names in world football - Anfield. The team prospered and became financially sound with astute guidance from their President Mr John Houlding.

John Houlding was a brewer, local council member and later Mayor of Liverpool. Despite this he has become a largely forgotten figure in the city, although a bronze plaque outside the Directors' Lounge in Anfield and a fine oil portrait hanging within the Club museum preserve his likeness. For a man responsible for the development of Everton Football Club and the creation of Liverpool Football Club, it is amazing how little he is remembered. There are however a few landmarks in the area where Houlding was known as "King John of Everton". The very short 'Houlding Street' has on its corner the 'Sandon' pub. This pub was once owned by Houlding and he led many meetings of Everton Football Club from here in the bowls pavilion that existed to the rear. The place was also used as a dressing room by the players for many years. Both Everton and later Liverpool football teams were first photographed in front of this bowls pavilion.

It can be questioned whether Everton would have been one of the founding members of the Football League in 1888 without Houlding's assistance. He brought Everton to Anfield in 1884. They previously rented a little field in Priory Road, north of Stanley Park, but they were unwelcome because of the noisy crowds on match days. So Houlding went to his friend and fellow brewer, Mr. Orrell, who owned a place in Anfield Road and conducted the business to get a new home ground. But it was from this point on that criticism of the club President started to grow from some members of the Everton board, building up to a crisis in 1892.

Rent payments were a problem but it was not the rent alone that annoyed the board members. Houlding also wanted only his sparkling ales to be sold at the ground, and he of course profited very considerably from this arrangement. However it was still John Houlding that helped the club out when they need money to buy players and rebuild the ground. The club had to use the Sandon pub as a dressing room as well. The Sandon's use as a dressing room was an arrangement that really only suited Houlding as he again benefited from his players drinking his products. A letter in the Liverpool Echo in January 1892 suggested that Houlding didn't want the club to move out of the pub. The writer says: "It's a disgrace that at a big club such as Everton, players have to walk through hordes of people on match days."

The conflict on how the club should be managed and conduct its business came to a head in 1889-90. The rent at Anfield went up again. Everton FC paid £100 in 1884. By 1889-90 Houlding was charging them £250. Houlding had many practical and realistic solutions on how they could solve this situation. One was to transform Everton into a plc. On the 15th of September 1891 he chaired a meeting about the issue. The local press was banned as he predicted trouble ahead. And trouble it was. Houlding suggested that Everton FC should buy Anfield and also some land he owned adjoining the ground. The price seemed high and the members said no. Although with the growing development of football and the club, the land would soon have paid for itself.

In October the same year, the on-going deadlock over this situation resulted in the vast majority of the Board and players of Everton F.See. Walking out to build a new ground. Houlding explained why this situation arose in a match programme against Cliftonville in April 1893. He pointed out that he had given Everton a rent free loan until the club started to make money. If the club had gone bust he would have lost it all. Despite making no profit in this respect, the issue that upset the members at Everton most was his plan to sell Anfield and the land adjoining, with Houlding himself profiting. He felt it was a reasonable reward for the risk he had ventured in the club for nine years. Houlding, as the ambitious businessman he was, saw a great future for the club. He wanted the club to have its own home ground and wanted them to buy land so the club could expand in due course.

Unfortunately most of the Everton FC board members failed to share his forward thinking and lacked confidence. They wanted instead a long term rent deal on all the land, but for this to be acceptable to Houlding, he wanted a rent at a price considered too high for the Club. The members reacted to that by "offering" Houlding less rent. Houlding unsurprisingly refused to accept this stating that he did not want to be dictated: "I cannot understand why a gentleman that has done so much for the club (Everton) and its members should be given such treatment."

The official split between Houlding and Everton took place on the 12th of March 1892. At a members meeting one of the opponents George Mahon, led the meeting when John Houlding unexpectedly turned up. Mahon stood up to give the club's President the chair. But surrounded by "enemies" Mr. Houlding said the famous words: "I'm here on a trial, and a criminal never takes the chair". He then left the club with 18-19 other members.

Liverpool FC was formed on the 15th of March 1892.

A group of Everton patriots, among them the organist from the St. Domingo's church, had made a deal to buy a piece of land north of Stanley Park. The land cost them £8,090. Four members paid £1,000 each to let the deal go through. Houlding, left with an empty ground, took the bold step of forming a new football team to play in it. It was at John Houlding's house in Anfield Road that he and his closest friends who remained from Everton FC formed the new club. William E. Barclay, a great football enthusiast, strongly suggested that they should go on with a new name: Liverpool. Barclay had been the first secretary at Everton when they became a league club in 1888, and so in turn became the first secretary at Liverpool FC.

An interesting sidenote is that on 26th of January 1892, Houlding tried to form a 'new' Everton - The "Everton Football Club and Athletic Grounds Company plc." It was registered in London on that date and as the 'old' Everton club was not registered as a plc, Houlding had hoped to perform a weird "takeover" of Everton; stealing the name of the club in a legal way. But a meeting at the Football Council on 4th of February 1892 ruled that it could not approve membership of a new club with the same name as an existing member!

Unable keep the Everton FC name, he then thought bigger and finally acceded to his secretary's proposal, and named his club after the entire city rather than one of its suburbs, even adopting by 1894 the City's colour of red for the playing shirts and by 1901 the Liverbird as the crest.

The majority of Everton's backroom and playing staff had left for Goodison, so Liverpool FC had to be built from scratch. Fortunately one John McKenna stayed loyal to Houlding along with Barclay the Secretary. Most of the team building work was carried out by McKenna, a dynamic and personable Irishman. 'Honest' John McKenna did more than most people in English football.

He was to be a director at Anfield for 30 years, and also served the club as chairman on two occasions. He was a member of the FA Council from 1905, and he became the President of the Football League in 1910, and Vice-President of the Football Association in 1928. He also served on many different committees until he died in 1936. He was a well respected man, with an unique know-how of the game. Houlding is the founder of the club, but McKenna was the man and the brain behind early successes.

His rapid elevation to the top of English football is proof of John McKenna's abilities as a manager and administrator. With a generous loan from Houlding of £500 that was never paid back, and McKenna's know how, over a dozen players were recruited from Scotland. This led to LFC becoming known as the "Team of all the Macs" because of their surnames. However amongst the Scottish "Macs" in the early formations the goalkeeper Bill McOwen was in fact an Englishman.

Liverpool's initial application to join the Football League was rejected and so they began life in the Lancashire League. On the first of September 1892 Liverpool AFC played their first match at Anfield. The opponents were Rotherham from the Midland League in a friendly.

On the very same day Everton played their first match at Goodison on the other side of Stanley Park. The rivalry was on! Which team would the people of Liverpool support? The Liverpool directors announced to the newspapers that: "No better game will be witnessed on any of the plots in the neighbourhood". That was their message to Everton. The papers write that 'Councillor J. Houlding kicked off the match'. Liverpool won the match 7-1. McVean scored the first ever Liverpool goal early in the first half. The only disappointment on the day was that only a handful people turned up. More than 10,000 came to Goodison.

A couple of days later Liverpool played the first match in the Lancashire League. Again LFC won heavily by eight goals to nil. The match was postponed for a few hours because of a late arrival of the guest team. Again only a few hundred people witnessed this convincing win. The captain of the day, McVean, won the toss and chose to play towards Anfield Road in the first half. A tradition many Liverpool captains have followed to this day. The club's first competitive match was at home to Higher Walton on September 3rd 1892 with Liverpool yet again winning 8-0
Reds win first ever game

03 September 1892

On September 3, 1892, Higher Walton were the opposition for the club's first competitive match and the occasion was marked by an 8-0 success. It was the start of an excellent season for Liverpool, who easily took the Lancashire League as well as the Liverpool District Cup. With a Reserve Cup secured as well, Liverpool had claimed a modest treble - highly impressive for a team not even 12 months old. Everton were getting worried. The following season would see the new boys compete in the Football League for the first time.

First game in Football League

02 September 1893

Lengthy grass, high winds and a blinding sun were not ideal conditions for our first ever game in the Football League against hosts Middlesbrough Ironopolis, themselves making their Division Two bow. What followed, however, was an exciting exhibition of football. The first half might have ended goalless but it was not without a string of Liverpool chances, with the visitors hitting the upright. The 2, 000 spectators gathered at Paradise Field witnessed more goalmouth action in the second half, and it was goals from Joe McQue and Malcolm McVean which eventually took the game Liverpool's way.

The Merseysiders would go on to win the league at the first attempt, finishing eight points ahead of second-placed Small Heath to gain promotion to the First Division.

Promotion won at first attempt

28 April 1894

Liverpool never looked back in their first season in the Football League following an opening day victory against Middlesbrough Ironopolis. The likes of Lincoln, Crewe and Newcastle were all dispatched with ease as John McKenna and William Barclay's side created an eight-point gap over Small Heath at the top of the Second Division. The highlight of the campaign came in October with a 6-0 victory over 'Boro in front of 6, 000 supporters at Anfield. James Scott top scored with 14 in the league, with the likes of David Henderson, Hugh McQueen, Malcolm McVean and Thomas Bradshaw all excelling. Liverpool went on to suffer relegation in their first season in Division One, though were back in the top flight once more within a year.
Reds achieve record victory

18 February 1896

Promotion-chasing Liverpool banked a record league win with a 10-1 romp over Rotherham which had Anfield purring. The Reds were on song right from the off, with skipper Jimmy Ross skimming the woodwork during the opening exchanges. It was Malcolm McVean who opened the scoring in front of 2, 000 spectators – he'd go on to bag a hat-trick. The result was beyond doubt within eight minutes, with a three-goal deficit already established.

Centre-forward Allan would plunder four on the day, with Ross (2) and Frank Beacon also finding the net as the Reds set a league record which, more than a century on, remains intact.
Tom Watson arrives as manager

17 August 1896

Newcastle-born Tom Watson arrived at Anfield with quite a track record having led Sunderland from obscurity to the League Championship. Another two titles followed before Liverpool chief John McKenna made a financial offer Watson couldn't refuse which saw him swap Wearside for Merseyside in 1896. The 37-year-old was relatively young for a football manager – not that his inexperience showed as he set about turning the Reds into one of the country's top teams. His newly-promoted side finished a respectable fifth in his first season in charge, and before the turn of the century they would reach two FA Cup semi-finals.

Watson, who was responsible for bringing legends such as Alex Raisbeck, Sam Hardy, Elisha Scott and Sam Raybould to the club, masterminded a first League Championship in 1901. Though relegation followed three years later, the Reds bounced back with successive Second and First Division titles. Watson's reign also brought a first Cup final in 1914, an occasion which ended in a 1-0 defeat to Burnley.

A year later, with World War I underway, he passed away. Watson would be a hard act to follow when league football commenced in 1919.

Reds crowned champions for first time

29 April 1901

Just eight years after entering the Football League, Liverpool Football Club rose to the pinnacle of the English game with a title triumph that set the tone for future generations at Anfield.

The seeds of this success were sown in 1896 when the legendary Tom Watson was recruited to take charge of team affairs. The impact he was to have on the club cannot be over-estimated. One of his first major signings was the inspirational Alex Raisbeck (pictured) two years later and it was around him that Liverpool's first team of champions was constructed.

With Raisbeck leading by example from the back, the dependable Bill Perkins between the sticks, Scotland international Billy Dunlop at full-back, flying winger Jack Cox and promising goal-poacher Sam Raybould in their ranks, the Liverpool team that kicked off the 1900-01 season was considered to be their most formidable yet.

This was the era of the handlebar moustache, when Liverpool players changed in the nearby Sandon public house and travelled to away games by train or horse-drawn wagonette. Anfield held just 20, 000 and during the week goats grazed on the grass-covered terraces, while the Boer War in South Africa and the impending end of Queen Victoria's reign dominated the newspapers

Goals from Robertson, Satterthwaite and Raybould got Liverpool's season off to a perfect start when Blackburn Rovers were defeated 3-0 at Anfield on the opening day before a crowd of 20, 000. The Reds were to set the early pace and following a 2-1 victory at Stoke City, West Brom were emphatically beaten 5-0 to make it three wins out of three for Tom Watson's men, although Aston Villa, by virtue of having played more games, topped the table.

Centre-forward Sam Raybould, along with Tommy Robertson, had scored in each of the first three matches and he netted again in front of a packed Goodison Park in the Merseyside derby. His 46th minute strike cancelled out a first-half Everton opener but there was to be no further goals and Liverpool's 100 per cent record came to an end.

The following week title favourites Sunderland inflicted on the Reds a first defeat of the season when they triumphed 2-1 at Anfield, thus ending our unbeaten start. For manager Watson, losing to his former club was a bitter pill to swallow but it was he who would have the last laugh come the end of the season.

Notts County and Wolves were to repeat the feat of the Wearsiders as Liverpool temporarily slipped out of the chasing pack at the top, but an impressive 5-1 hammering of fellow title challengers Aston Villa restored faith around Anfield.

Despite that encouraging performance, though, inconsistency plagued the Reds around this time and further setbacks against Sheffield clubs Wednesday and United were suffered before a confidence-boosting 4-3 victory in a thrilling clash with Manchester City, Andy McGuigan snatching the all-important final goal after the home side had gone in at half-time 3-2 ahead.

By the turn of the year, however, even the most optimistic of Liverpudlians would have thought the title was out of reach, and although the new century began with a 3-1 home win over Stoke, successive league defeats at home to Everton and away to Bolton seemingly killed off any last lingering hopes.

By mid-February Liverpool languished in eighth place, nine points adrift of leaders Nottingham Forest. But, with what was to become a trademark of Championship-winning Liverpool teams in the future, an impressive late surge saw them emerge from the wilderness to gatecrash the title race.

On 23 February, Watson took his team to his old stomping ground of Roker Park and no doubt returned home with a wry smile of satisfaction on his face after a lone Jack Cox goal secured a crucial 1-0 win that was to prove the catalyst for a formidable unbeaten run.

Wolves, Villa and Newcastle were then all defeated as the Reds slowly made their way back up the table and Raybould's 75th minute winner against second-placed Notts County at Anfield on 8 April was crucial.

It moved them to within five points of new league leaders Sunderland and with three games in hand, the title pendulum was swinging ominously towards the red half of Merseyside.

Victory over Sheffield United, thanks to another goal from leading marksman Raybould, on Easter Monday saw Liverpool draw level with the Rokerites at the top as the season boiled down to an exciting climax.

Also still vying for the leadership were Nottingham Forest, but when they visited Anfield on the last Saturday of the campaign goals from Cox and Goldie ended their title ambitions and maintained the Reds' pursuit of the crown.

Three days earlier Sunderland had completed their programme with a 2-0 win over north-east rivals Newcastle and still topped the table courtesy of a slightly better goal average, so the destiny of the 1900-01 championship hung on the outcome of Liverpool's final game away to West Brom on Monday, 29 April.

Just one point would be sufficient for the Reds against the already relegated Albion. The doomed Baggies were expected to roll over and hand Liverpool the title on a plate but that could not have been further from the truth.

Straight from the first whistle they fought as if their lives depended on it and Liverpool were relieved to go in at the interval one ahead, the vital goal coming via Walker after a Raybould shot had been parried by the Baggies keeper. The second half saw the home side bombard Bill Perkins in the Liverpool goal but the Reds held out to clinch the points and more importantly their first Division One title.

It was a deserved triumph and a perfect riposte to those who had written off Liverpool's chances earlier in the season. Perkins, Goldie and Robertson were ever-presents, Raybould topped the scoring charts with 16 goals and Raisbeck led by example as the inspirational skipper of the side.

In summing up the season, the Liverpool Echo wrote: "It was a tussle between Liverpool and Sunderland up to the last day of the season, but the Anfield men never faltered. Since the beginning of the year they have only twice gone under. The Liverpool men are the only team who have scored more goals on opponents' grounds (23 to 22) than the home side. This is a great achievement.

"In away games they won seven times and drew five times, which secured them 19 points out of 34, more than half on opponents' territory. Their goals at home were nearly 3-1 against the opposition, when they won 12 times and drew twice. The facts mentioned point to the all-round excellence of the Liverpool team, their defence having the best record of the whole division. Liverpool are also credited with the most goals, 59 to Sunderland's 57. "

After the win at West Brom, the newly crowned champions returned to Central station later that evening where thousands of fans were waiting to greet them. Raisbeck was carried shoulder high through the crowded streets, while a drum and fife band provided the perfect soundtrack to the moment with a rousing rendition of 'The Conquering Hero'.

The players and directors eventually made their way back to Anfield by horse-drawn carriage and the League Championship was proudly placed in the trophy cabinet for the first, but by no means the last, time.

Title returns to Anfield

14 April 1906

A newly-promoted team winning the League Championship? It would never happen today.

But, more than a century ago, that's exactly what manager Tom Watson achieved by clinching successive Division Two and One titles. With goal hero Joe Hewitt netting 25 at one end and £340 signing Sam Hardy keeping shots out at the other, Liverpool trampled over English football's aristocracy to bring the Championship back to Anfield for only the second time.

Each week, crowds of about 18, 000 watched the Reds dispatch sides such as Wolves, Bury, Notts Forest, Newcastle and Brentford with consummate ease. Middlesbrough suffered most, falling to our sword 5-1 and 6-1.

Not that Watson's men had things all their own way. Incredibly, Liverpool lost their first three games of the campaign, including an embarrassing 5-0 reverse at Villa Park. Still, the Reds recovered and would eventually top the table four points ahead of north-west rivals Preston. The season ended with the Sheriff of London Charity Shield at Craven Cottage, in which Liverpool beat Corinthians 5-1.
Reds reach first FA Cup final

25 April 1914

In March 1914, at the fourth time of asking, Liverpool finally prevailed in an FA Cup semi-final. Having dispatched Aston Villa 2-0 at White Hart Lane, only Burnley now stood in the way of an historic first FA Cup. Crystal Palace was the venue, where the 72, 778 crowd included a reigning monarch for the first time. It proved a nervy occasion for both sets of players – unsurprising considering neither club had got this far before.

Liverpool went into the fixture without tough-tackling half-back Harry Lowe, and things went from bad to worse when the Clarets won the toss and opted to play with the advantage of a strong wind in the first half. Despite Burnley having the better of the opening exchanges, the Reds did threaten through Jimmy Nicholl, who was only denied when his shot smacked an opponent in the face.

Then, 14 minutes after the restart, Bert Freeman opened the scoring for the Lancashire men. The goal followed a throw-in which was headed to Freeman, and within the blink of an eye the ex-Evertonian had smashed the ball beyond Liverpool custodian Ken Campbell.

Merseyside's finest threw everything and the kitchen sink at Burnley as the game drew to a close, testing the Claret resistance with a host of long shots. The Reds even had a pop from the half-way line, but it wasn't to be.

Having beaten Barnsley, Gillingham, West Ham, QPR and Aston Villa, Liverpool's FA Cup journey was over as King George V handed the famous trophy to Burnley.

Incredibly, the country's most famous silverware didn't find its way to Anfield until 1965.

From there on we went to win an incredible:

League Champions
1900-01, 1905-06, 1921-22, 1922-23, 1946-47, 1963-64, 1965-66, 1972-73, 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86, 1987-88, 1989-90

European Cup Winners
1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81, 1983-84, 2004-05
FA Cup Winners
1964-65, 1973-74, 1985-86, 1988-89, 1991-92, 2000-01, 2005-06

League Cup Winners
1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1994-95, 2000-01, 2002-03
UEFA Cup Winners
1972-73, 1975-76, 2000-01

European Super Cup Winners
1977, 2001, 2005
Super Cup Winners
1985-86
FA Charity Shield Winners
1964*, 1965*, 1966, 1974, 1976, 1977*, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986*, 1988, 1989, 1990*, 2001, 2006 (* shared)
Division Two Winners
1893-94, 1895-96, 1904-05, 1961-62
Lancashire League Winners
1892-93
Carlsberg Trophy
1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000
Reserve Division One Winners
1956-57, 1968-69, 1969-70, 1970-71, 1972-73, 1973-74, 1974-75, 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1983-84, 1984-85, 1989-90, 1999-2000, 2007-08
Barclays Reserves National Champions
2007-08
FA Youth Cup Winners
1995-96, 2005-06, 2006-07
All were not rosy through, we went through some tragedy along the way, from heysel to hillsborough and 5 years ban from european football to roy hogson.

On April 15 1989, 24,000 Liverpool fans travelled to a football match. 96 never returned. Over 20 years after Britain's worst sporting disaster, we want the world to see the faces of the fans whose hopes and dreams for the future ended that day.

Collectively they've become known as 'The 96' but to the families and friends they left behind, they were simply a dad, a son, a brother and a sister; a cousin, an auntie, an uncle and a grandad; a boyfriend, a husband, a soul mate and a best friend.

As the wife of one of the supporters who never came home so eloquently put it in a letter published on this website on the 20th anniversary of the disaster, "To the world my husband is one of the 96, but to me and his children, he was always our number one."

To those who didn't know them, the fans who died at Hillsborough that day may just be a number of names etched into the Hillsborough Memorial marble.

24,000 tickets, 23 turnstiles, two criminally overcrowded pens, 96 dead and 766 people injured - numbers alone don't even begin to tell half the story of a disaster that has shaped Liverpool Football Club and the fans that will forever follow it.

Heysel:
April 15 may be the saddest day of the year for Liverpool supporters as they remember the Hillsborough disaster, but it's not the only day when many fans stop for a moment to think of a large group of football supporters who went to a match only never to return.

If Hillsborough is the saddest day in the club's history, May 29th is surely the lowest.

On May 29 1985, 39 football fans died when a wall collapsed at the Heysel stadium in Belgium. What should have been one of the greatest nights in the club's history turned into a nightmare.

Instead of leaving Brussels having seen our team lift a fifth European Cup, Liverpool supporters travelled back to England having witnessed the deaths of 39 football fans including 32 Italian fans of Juventus, four Belgians, two from France and one man from Northern Ireland.

Liverpool had objected to the choice of ground to stage the final well before the friendly banter outside the stadium began to turn nasty inside. Aside from the fact that the stadium appeared to be crumbling, Liverpool's main concern was that there was to be a neutral section of the ground set aside for football fans from Belgium. The club argued that only Liverpool and Juventus should be allocated tickets. Setting aside a neutral area would only lead to both sets of fans being able to buy tickets off Belgium touts thus creating a dangerous mixed area. As history has since proved, this neutral area was soon filled with Italian supporters.

As tempers became frayed inside the ground about an hour before kick off, both sets of fans baited each other through a segregating fence made from chicken wire. After a sustained period of missiles being thrown by both sets of supporters, some Liverpool fans charged at their Italian counterparts and, as chaos took over, Juventus fans fled only for a wall blocking their escape to collapse on top of them. Thirty-nine football supporters died where they fell.

Later that night, Juventus won the European Cup 1-nil. It's a match nobody wants to remember.

Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool's greatest ever player, will never forget what happened in Belgium though.

"The fact that fatalities might result wouldn't have occurred to the Liverpool fans when they ran across."

Dalglish admits that it wasn't until the following morning that the Liverpool players finally realised exactly what had happened inside the stadium.

"We saw the Italian fans crying, and they were banging on the side of our bus when we left the hotel," he recalls. "When we left Brussels, the Italians were angry, understandably so; 39 of their friends had died. I remember well one Italian man, who had his face right up against the window where I was sitting. He was crying and screaming. You feel for anybody who loses someone in those circumstances. You go along to watch a game. You don't go along expecting that sort of ending, do you? Football's not that important. No game of football is worth that. Everything else pales into insignificance."

Almost 20 years after that terrible day, Liverpool and Juventus were drawn together again for the first time in the quarterfinals of the Champions League. It was if fate had brought the two teams together to join forces and honour those who had lost their lives at Heysel.

"There is a friendship between the two clubs and supporters," Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry revealed after the draw had been announced. "As soon as the draw paired us together for the first time in 20 years, memories of the Heysel Stadium disaster were naturally in people's minds, both in Turin and here on Merseyside. The two clubs built bridges and forged powerful links after Heysel. The bond between us remains strong, but we still want all Juventus fans to know that we are very sorry about the fact that 39 people lost their lives. We moved forward in a spirit of friendship after Heysel and the clubs continue to work together in a spirit of mutual respect."

May 29th remains a day of remembrance for both Juventus and Liverpool supporters

Then cam one day in 2005 when all the supporters cherished their kits more than ever...The latest important piece of our history.... The miracle of instanbul......

The 2005 UEFA Champions League Final was the final match of the 2004–05 UEFA Champions League, Europe's primary club football competition. The show-piece event was contested between Liverpool of England and Milan of Italy at the Atatürk Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey on 25 May 2005. Liverpool, who had won the competition four times, were appearing in their sixth final, and their first since the Heysel Stadium disaster in 1985. Milan, who had won the competition six times, were appearing in their second final in three years and tenth overall.

Each club needed to progress through the group stage and knockout rounds to reach the final, playing 12 matches in total. Liverpool finished second in their group behind 2004 runners-up Monaco and subsequently beat Bayer Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea to progress to the final. Milan won their group ahead of Barcelona and faced Manchester United, Internazionale and PSV Eindhoven before reaching the final.

Milan were regarded as favourites before the match and took the lead within the first minute through captain Paolo Maldini. Milan striker Hernán Crespo added two more goals before half-time to make it 3–0. During the second half, in a stunning comeback, Liverpool scored three goals in six minutes to level the scores at 3–3, the goals coming courtesy of Steven Gerrard, Vladimír Šmicer and Xabi Alonso. The scores remained the same during extra time, and a penalty shootout was required to decide the champions. The score was 3–2 to Liverpool when Andriy Shevchenko's penalty was saved by Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek. Thus Liverpool had won their fifth European Cup, claiming the UEFA Badge of Honour in the process. The match is often referred to as the "Miracle of Istanbul".

Ref: liverpoolfc.TV, wikepedia AND myself
C0oder (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Khaimet said it best, "Liverpool FC.... The longest history lesson in football"  
You don't say! I tried to summarize my entry but I'll get my popcorn out and read this once carefully when I'm sober
Whoa that's a very long post! Great job though, you put in a lot of detail
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Why the hell der is no like button here in forum.... !    Kop man! Respect...
Go0bz (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Very thorough post(s), kop4life, although I'm sure a few people regret asking a LFC supporter for a history lesson haha.

I think it's also important to point out, after the hillsborough tragedy, there was always at least one representative (player/manager) from LFC at every one of the 96 funerals; truly living up to its name as being a "family club. " another thing I didn't see was the famous "boot room", where liverpool managers were nurtured. It started with our legendary manager bill shankly, bringing in people to drink whiskey while discussing football matters. The boot room fielded legendary LFC managers bob paisley, and joe fagan. It was kept around during kenny dalglish's first tenure as liverpool's manager, as well as graeme souness, and roy evans. It was finally shut-down by gerard houllier in the late 90's. While liverpool's legendary boot room is now gone, its legacy is still alive through sammy lee, now an assistant coach for LFC, who played under bob paisley
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Liverpool's history short and sweet...    
Tobes (Liverpool) 3 years ago
This picture says a thousand words. Kop has elaborated on those thousand words above.

I was wondering why Kop was posting less on the Liverpool page the last few weeks. Must have been pretty pre-occupied doing this. Great job!
I doesn't take that long to copy and paste
3 years ago
"If everyone in the current Arsenal team and Wenger suddenly left tomorrow, would I still love the Arsenal because its 'my' club? Probably not"

Oh dear, this is just so, so wrong
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Epitomizes the difference between local and international fans
3 years ago
I think that is doing a disservice to the vast majority of international fans, Marco
Probably.
Maybe it is a problem of age rather than geography. It may have to do with the way you are introduced to your club.
I know I'll always be a fan of Juve for I started to watch them play at less than 10 years old. I am also a great fan of Arsenal, but I wonder if I'll still be if they stop being who they are and the way they play.
I was reading the book that you recommended me and I was having some trouble in the beginning reconciling the Arsenal that I applaud every week, with the "physical" or "boring" Arsenal of the 60s or 70s, when they were also successful, but seemingly subscribing to a different play-style
3 years ago
Well Arsenal were still "boring, boring Arsenal" as recently as 1995 when George Graham was in charge, so we don't even need to go back to the 70s.

Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
Bayern munich

Bayern was founded on February 27 (my birthday heehee) 1900, by a gymnastics club! They played amongst other Bavarian football clubs for 14 years until WW1 put a stop to German football all together. After the war Bayern came back strong winning all regional competitions and beating Eintracht Frankfurt in the final.

Things were looking good For the Bavarians until the second war came about. Hitlers Nazi campaigns had led to the President and Coach of Bayern (both Jewish) to flee the country. Bayern was taunted as the “Jewish Club” and as a semi-professional club Bayern was also affected by the ruling that football players had to be full amateurs again. Because of the lack of finances and no say in transfer markets Bayern began their famous youth programs, which is still used today and has proven to bear some of the most influential players at the club. In the following years Bayern could not sustain its role of contender for the national title, achieving mid-table results in its regional league instead.

After 20 years of financial struggles, hiring and firing up to 14 coaches and relegations Bayern finally made it to the Bundesliga in 1965, fielding a clutch of youth players that had bright futures ahead of them. Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, and Sepp Maier. In their first season Bayern made it to third in the Bundesliga setting them up for the European Cup Winners Cup the following year in which Bayern won 1-0 in the final against the Scottish team, Rangers.

Udo Lattek took charge in 1970 leading them to the DFB cup in his first season. The German championship in his second season with a deciding game at the new Olympic Stadium, against Schalke 04, witch was the first game ever televised in the Bundesliga history ending 5-1 to Bayern. Things got even better as Lattek won 3 consecutive German championships. Followed by 3 consecutive wins of the UEFA Champions League title in 1974,75,and 76 dubbed as the "Golden years".

In the 80’s many personel changes caused problems at Bayern. Inconsistency led to a championship one year and near relegation the next. Coaches were hired then fired in a years time not meeting the high expectations at Bayern. The European trophy was elusive and Bayern only got as far as runners up in 82 and 87. FC Bayern had been renamed “fc Hollywood” by the press since the players frequently appeared in the gossip pages, rather than the sports pages.

In 1998 Bayern found a man to bring them back to winning ways. In his first year, Ottmar Hitzfeld won the German league and nearly the Chamions league in the extremely climactic final against Manchester United (you all know what happened). Hitzfeild won his 3rd German title in 2001. Only days later to get Bayern their fourth Champions League title against Valencia on penalties. Hitzfeild left at the end of 2004.

Felix Magath took over winning two consecutive doubles, before Bayern moved from the Olympic Stadium into the new Allianz Arena we call home today. Since then our presence in Europe is well known and our finances have increased dramatically in the past years putting us in as the third richest team in the world.

We hit a rough patch in 2008 as Jurgen Klinsmann could not meet Bayerns board expectations. After bowing out in the quarter finals of both the Champions League and the DFB cup to Barcelona and Bayer Leverkusen respectively. Klinsmann was sacked, and replaced by Jupp Heynkes as caretaker until the end of the season. Bayern were able to move into 2nd place and directly qualify for the UEFA champions league for 09-10.

Louis Van Gaal took over the following season. Also having a rocky start like Klinsmann the players got use to his style of coaching by the winter period. The rejuvenated Bayern almost out of the group stages of the champions league made a comeback "the miracle of Turin" against Juventus to win 1-4 away to get us into the Round of 16. Bayern dipped into the winter Transfer period and came out with a jewel. Arjen Robben was a new signing and with his goal goal goal mentality Bayern had a dream second half of the season, reaching the final in the champions league and winning the German double
Summarized the hell out of it, though I think it goes over all the necessary elements    How do I add pics?
You can click EDIT underneath your post and copy-paste links that end with (. Jpg etc) and you should be good to go
Great job with that. I guess with everyone writing comprehensive histories I should go back and edit mine some more...
Go0bz (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Good read, georgio. I never knew much about Bayern Munich, aside from knowing a few players who played for the club, and being a german powerhouse. Thanks for sharing
.... And then we went to lose in the round of 16 to inter...
Why do I have to express my points?  My fellow cules have done it already  I love everything to do with this club  Enough said
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Chelsea Football Club was founded on March 10, 1905 at The Rising Sun pub. After a short time, the club was elected into the Second Division at the Football League AGM on May 29, 1905. Chelsea's first game took place away at Stockport County on September 2, 1905. They lost the game 1-0. Their first home game was against Liverpool in a friendly. They won 4-0. The Club began with established players recruited from other squads and promotion to the top flight was swift, but the club's early years brought no trophies. Chelsea reached the FA Cup final in 1915 but lost out to Sheffield United. They would have to wait forty years for their first major honour. However, they consistently attracted enormous crowds. 77,952 attended the fourth round FA Cup tie against Swindon on 13 April 1911, and 82,905 attended the league game against Arsenal on 12 October 1935. Safety considerations make such attendances impossible now: the current legal capacity of the stadium is 42,522.

In 1952, Former Arsenal forward Ted Drake was appointed coach. One of his first actions was to remove the image of a Chelsea pensioner from the game programme and the club's old nickname was no more. In 1954-5, Chelsea won the First Division title under Drake with a squad that included captain and top-scorer Roy Bentley, goalkeeper Charlie 'Chic' Thomson, left-half Derek Saunders, inside-right Johnny 'Jock' McNichol, right-half Ken Armstrong, outside-left Frank Blunstone, full-back Peter Sillett and future England coach Ron Greenwood at centre-half.

(Ted Drake)

Although Chelsea was only 12th in the table in November, we secured the title with a game to spare after a 3-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday. Key to the success were two league wins against eventual runners-up Wolverhampton Wanderers and a ten-game unbeaten streak in the title run-in. Chelsea's points total of 52 for that season remains the lowest to have secured the English League title. That same season saw the club complete a unique quadruple, with the reserve, 'A' and junior sides also winning their respective leagues.

Winning the Championship should have ensured that Chelsea became the first English participants in the inaugural European Cup competition the following season. However, they were denied by the intervention of the Football League and the F.A. many of whose leading members were opposed to the idea and felt primacy should be given to domestic competitions, so the club withdrew.

The club wasn’t able to build on their title success, however, and there followed a succession of uninspiring mid-table finishes. This run culminated in relegation from the First Division in 1962 and the departure of Drake, who was replaced by player-coach Tommy Docherty. In his first season as coach Docherty led Chelsea to promotion.

The early 1970s saw a very nice Chelsea squad which is still fondly remembered: it featured the likes of Ron 'Chopper' Harris, Ian Hutchison, Charlie Cooke and Peter Osgood. In 1970 Chelsea ran out FA Cup winners (beating Leeds 2-1 in a pulsating final replay at Old Trafford). A UEFA Cup Winners' Cup triumph was added to the haul the following year—Chelsea's first European honour. The club also reached a second League Cup final in 1972, though lost out to Stoke City.

(1970 Final against Leeds)

In a new golden stage, Chelsea had an amazing return to the First Division in 1989-90. Coach Bobby Campbell guided a team of mostly unremarkable players to a creditable fifth place in the final table. Although the ban on English clubs in European football was lifted that year, Chelsea missed out on a UEFA Cup place because the only English place in the competition that year went to runners-up Aston Villa. Campbell resigned a year later and he was replaced by Ian Porterfield, who helped Chelsea finish high enough in 1991-92 to qualify for the first-ever season of the Premier League. He quit halfway through the season and was replaced on a caretaker basis by former Chelsea hero David Webb, who guided Chelsea to an 11th place finish. Webb was replaced at the end of the season by 35-year-old former England midfielder Glenn Hoddle, who had just won promotion to the Premiership as player-coach of Swindon Town. Hoddle guided Chelsea to another 11th place finish in 1995-96 and then quit to become coach of the England squad.

Ruud Gullit was appointed player-coach for the 1996-97 season, and had an impressive first season in management by winning the FA Cup (and finishing sixth in the Premiership). The 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough at Wembley ended Chelsea's 26-year wait for a trophy, and was a happy end to a season which had looked to be dominated by sadness after the death in October of director and financial benefactor Matthew Harding in a helicopter crash.

*skipping to the Roman era*

Ken Bates unexpectedly sold Chelsea Football Club in June 2003 for £60 million, making a personal profit of £17 million on the club he had bought for £1 in 1982 (his stake had been diluted to just below 30% over the years). The club's new owner was Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, who also took on responsibility for the club's £80 million of debt, quickly paying all of it. He then went on a £100 million spending spree before the start of the season and landed players like Claude Makélélé, Geremi, Glen Johnson, Joe Cole and Damien Duff.

The spending saw a great return, with Chelsea finishing the Premiership runners-up and reaching the Champions League semifinals after beating Arsenal in the quarterfinals. But Ranieri was sacked after ending the season trophyless, and Abramovich recruited José Mourinho (who had lifted two Portuguese league titles, a Portuguese Cup, a European Cup and a UEFA Cup with FC Porto) as the club's new coach.

2004-05 was the most successful season in the history of Chelsea Football Club. We won the Premiership title in a record breaking season by gaining 95 points from 38 fixtures (ending a 50-year wait for the title with the highest Premiership points total for a 38 game season), along with setting records for: most wins (29), fewest goals against (15) and most clean sheets (25) in a 38 game season.

A year later we retained the league title, setting more records in the process. Winning the first nine games, and set the pace in the EPL – including a 4–1 win over Liverpool at Anfield – and at one stage Chelsea were 18 points ahead of nearest rivals Manchester United. Following a late-season blip, (and with United on a run of nine consecutive wins) the points gap was closed to seven points. The title was eventually secured with a 3–0 win over United at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea became the first London club to win back-to-back league titles since the 1930s, and only the fifth side to do so since the Second World War. Also set the record for the most clean sheets (six) from the start of the season and equaled the best home record for a top division team since Newcastle United in 1906–07 (18 wins and 1 draw from 19 games) Chelsea did not win the Premier league title for the next 3 years, as Man utd took advantage of Mourinho's departure and Chelsea's constant changing of coaches - and won the league 3 times in a row. But during that span, we managed to win the League cup (beating Arsenal) the Fa Cup (beating Man utd) another Fa cup title (beating Everton) and reached the Champions League final, only to lose to Man utd -_-

Ancelotti became manager of Chelsea in 2009, and led the club to our 4th league title (3rd EPL title) and also went on to win an unprecedented Premier League and Fa cup double - which had only ever been done by Arsenal and Man utd.

Sources: Chelsea official site, Wikipedia, Chelseafc-blog and my brain!
Nice post, good thing someone finally decided to do one about our club
Thanks mate someone had to do it
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Thank god! And you clarifyed when Chelsea FC was formed! Some say it is March 10, but it is march 14! My bday,
Actually thanks to SG, she showed me wikipedia, and I followed a link and is turns out I was originally right,

Link: www.chelseafc.com/page/TeamHistory/0,,10268~180032...

Quick edit it before raj comes
Hahaa before Raj comes and I actually should have check the date on Wikipedia, still don't know why I didn't! Thanks anyways, edited
How on earth did bates get us for 1 pound
3 years ago
I propose we rename this thread the "Copypasta Thread".    Or the "tl;dr Thread"    Or perhaps the "Fan Valuation Yay! Thread".
Link: chelseafc-blog.blogspot.com/2005/12/chelsea-fc-his...

A little similair no to the post above?

Link: www.liverpoolfc.tv/history/timeline/1892-1917/reds...

He's copying section for section.......

I can't belive some of my closest footytube friends are doing this.

Your right netnerd
Mine is all legit Won't find it anywhere on the internet
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Lol totally agreed netnerd and once I posted something and forgot to put the link, I was charged at like crazy with everyone saying plagiarism lol, what about now? Where are they? Lol

So I guess this is how Kop4life is 2nd in Fan Val, can't believe his not 1st lol, tony is one heck of a guy lol

Btw where are the mods?
That is a lot of plagarism, no surprise he's second in the FV charts
I really didn't want this thread to go into this direction.

"Share with us your favourite part of your club's history. Whether it be an event, a player, a game, a season, a person, anything which you are proud to say happened at your club. "
Ltm017 3 years ago
Really it takes time to write those long post a lot of thought and finger work
3 years ago
Yeah! CTRL + A, CTRL + C, CTRL + V sure takes it out of you. Phew
Liam, hahahahahaha
So are they just going to get all that FV for copying and pasting?
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
FC Partizan was founded on October 4th 1945 by Yugoslavian communist military generals who played and loved football. During WW2 communist army was known under the name "Partisans", so it is logical that club was named the same way. First team was selection of best eleven footballers among 400 soldiers.

First titles came fast, FC Partizan won Yugoslavian championships in 1947 and 1949.

Many are not aware that first match in history of Champions Cup (now Champions League) was Sporting Lisbon - FC Partizan Belgrade on September 4th 1955. Score of that match was 3-3. FC Partizan won second leg with 5-2 and went through the first round.

The first half of 60's was the most successful period in club's history. FC Partizan had great generation of young footballers, and they won four titles in 1961, 1962, 1963 and 1965.

In 1966. FC Partizan became the first eastern European club to reach Champions Cup final. On May 11th Partizan played against great Real Madrid on legendary Heysel stadium. Even though FC Partizan took a lead in 55th minute, Real Madrid turned the score around with goals in 70th and 76th minute and eventually won their sixth European title.

After that match Partizan's golden generation of footballers was sold out, and next ten years club had mediocre results on domestic level.

In 1976 and 1978 FC Partizan came back on the success road by winning Yugoslavian titles. In 1978 Partizan also won their first international competition Mitropa Cup, better known as Central European Cup (first continental competition in Europe). On December 13th in Belgrade, FC Partizan defeated famous Hungarian club Honved with 1:0.

In 80's FC Partizan won three national titles (1983,1986 and 1987).

90's were rough period for Serbia as an country, due to wars in Bosnia and on Kosovo, but football was still played. Yugoslavia fell apart (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia and Slovenia became independent states) and national league consisted of Serbian and Montenegrin clubs.FC Partizan won five national titles in this decade (1993, 1994, 1996, 1997 and 1999).

The new millennium is, after 60's, the most successful period in history of the club. FC Partizan is slowly coming back on European football map.

In 2003 Partizan became first Serbian club to reach Champions League group stage. Partizan did this by beating Newcastle United in qualifies. After loosing at home with 1-0, FC Partizan defeated Newcastle United with same result in rematch and went through on penalties. Partizan's fans (including myself) had a chance to watch their team play against Real Madrid, Porto (champions league winner that season) and Olympic Marseilles. With three ties at home and three losses away, FC Partizan ended up fourth in their group.

FC Partizan won six titles in the first decade of the second millennium (2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009 and 2010).

In 2010/11 season FC Partizan managed to reach Champions League group stage again, this time by beating RSC Anderlecht in qualifies. After two identical ties 2-2 at home and away, Partizan prevailed on penalties again. Belgrade hosted FC Arsenal, FC Braga and FC Shakhtar. With six losses, Partizan came last in their group stage again.

Partizan also won eleven national cups in 1947(DC), 1952, 1954, 1957, 1989, 1992, 1994(DC), 1998, 2001, 2008(DC) and 2009(DC).

Club colors are black and white and club is known under the nickname Parni valjak (steam-roller), while Partizan's fans are known as Grobari (gravediggers).
Nice post, I didn't know much about their history
Now let me talk a bit about my favorite club, the Red Star of Belgrade....    Lol, just kidding.
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
@ VeljaSrbin nice post!
I like Partizan, especially the stadium, the supporters and the great atmosphere. Delibasic was a good striker very determined and passionate.
But my favorite is Kezman of course. A pure product from Partizan.
VeljaSrbin how popular is Kezman nowadays?
Cool post man!
You mean the club that have not won match against their "eternal rivals" in about three years now Marcinny!

Thanks FootyRulz and Zlatan. Atmosphere is always red hot on our stadium, check out clips on Youtube from the game against Arsenal, sick! Kezman was and will always be a legend among Partizan fans, first of all because of scoring in every match against Red Star he played!

By the way, Partizan is playing semi finals of the national cup against Red Star tomorrow!
This was meant to be a reply to my post above. My bad
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Partizan v Red Star in the semis.  I would give it a 9/10 for a proper Electric football Atmosphere there in Belgrade! For sure.
I just hope it doesn't get out of control with the fans. This can happen in matches between fierce rivals!
Partizan - Red Star 2:0!    
Daaaamn. I bet you bought the referee.... Again
I expected partizan to win this match. Red star just aren't that good anymore
Nah Marcinny, just kidnapped their families till match was over! They came back home safely after we won!
Yeah, Red Star is not doing well last couple of seasons, mostly because of the tough financial situation club is going through

Kick4Life - changing lives through football