Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
You Have To Be In It To Lose It
Footytubeblog (Blog) 3 years ago
Another week of second tier cup competitions and another week of second teams.

I think you all know that I am referring to the Carling Cup (formerly the Worthington Cup, before that the Coca-Cola Cup, before that the Rumbelows Cup, before that the Littlewoods Challenge Cup, before that The Milk Cup and originally the Football League Cup) and and the Europa League two competitions with more illustrious cousins in the FA Cup and Champions League.

With the top teams fielding players which has even the staunchest supporter reaching for Wikipedia (apart from the Man City fans who have 10 full internationals in their second string). It is little wonder that we are seeing 'upsets' or as they used to be called 'Giant Killings' before Hagrid announced that the term 'Giant' was offensive and they prefer to be called 'people of size'.

Let us take a look at the Carling Cup quarter finals this week and the upsets:

Crystal Palace vs Man Utd:

Man Utd's starting eleven had ten changes only Fabio remains and the bench has no players from the Newcastle game. Crystal palace had six of the starters from their Saturday game against Milwall and brought on another.

Cardiff vs Blackburn:

Now despite Blackburn manager Steve Keane stating they had forfeited this match against Cardiff so they can concentrate on the league he only made five changes from the weekend and brought on two more starters. Cardiff made only two changes.

Arsenal v Man City:

Man City make ten changes from the game against Liverpool (a mere 45 hours prior) though they bring on Aguero after 32 minutes. Arsenal also make ten changes.

Tottenham v PAOK Salonika:

Spurs make ten changes from the match against West Brom. I can't locate the PAOK squad for their last match but I would bet my left nut they made less changes than that.

It has long been the case that the top teams see the Carling Cup as little more than an annoyance or a chance to field their reserve team right up until they make the final, at which point out rolls the big guns and they declare it as an important cup with a rich history.

This attitude has gone hand in hand with the rising profile (not to mention the cash rewards) of the Premier League and the Champions League. To the extent that teams are willing to sacrifice the potential glory for a shot at the big time.

How do we stop this, do we want to? In these days where a player like Adam Johnson only gets 10 minutes here and there maybe we need these second tier competitions so they get to play 90 minutes of a competitive match.

It will also mean teams in the lower leagues a better chance of progressing further in the competitions and getting a share of the TV money rights.

If this is how it is going to be then fine but I would suggest that rules are put in place to ensure that the teams played in the semis finals/final bear at least a passing resemblance to the team that got them there. For example state you can only play in the last two matches if you have played more than 60 minutes of the previous games.

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Omerta (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It was somewhat surprising to see Aguero coming out at 32 minutes, Arsenal were playing really well.... Europa cup is also affecting teams like liverpool.... Now that they are not even playing, they can concentrate into getting into Champions League
Tanmay (Footytube Moderator) 3 years ago
I think you should make up your mind about whether this is a good thing or not.

I think it's a good thing - second string players get to play, small clubs get a chance, big players in big teams get much needed rest
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Clubs are starting to see the europa cup as a hinderance, as finishing high up the league to try to gain entry into the champions league is the priority.
I think the winners of the europa cup should gain automatic entry into next season champions league, at least dangle a carrot in front of the teams to get interest back into the compo
SpurSlayer (Arsenal) 3 years ago
^exactly
Why not invite the europa cup winners into the champions league? , to win the europa cup you must be a half decent side, and when you look at some of the s**t teams in the early rounds of the champions league, they would only enhance the competition
Tanmay (Footytube Moderator) 3 years ago
@Tony that's a good point. A simple but possibly quite effective change
PrettyFly87 (West Ham United) 3 years ago
Well it seems that just English teams don't really give a s**t about Europa League. Even Bayern Munich in 2008 used its almost main squad, before being crashed by Zenit in the Semis. I watched both of the games and wouldnt say that they didn't want to get to the Final. Same thing with Sevilla, Juve, Atletico Madrid in recent years. But an idea, which was brought here by Tony sounds very interesting and adequate
Reddevil278 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
A lot of good teams underestimate the passion and ability of lesser sides, as did United and Spurs last night
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 3 years ago
I think it's a good thing. Gives the 2nd string players a chance to prove themselves on a better, and more competitive stage than the reserves. And the experience younger players get playing in the Europa League and later stages of domestic cups is again much more akin to the real thing than playing in the youth team, so I'm all for it.

Besides I think The Europa League gets a really unfair rap, it's a tough competition, with a lot of good teams in it (probably Man City, and maybe another English team will be in it after Christmas, even if Spurs aren't!) and it makes me double happy because now there's good football to watch on a Thursday too.

I'm with Tony on this one, give the Europa League it's Champs League qualification place back. That would do the trick
Bk4179 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
So who is # 42, mate ?
Paul pogba
Ruskin (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Great array of young talent, well done sir alex. A lot of clubs will be looking at these youngsters, come the transfer window
Manutdfc1210 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
You're more than welcome to overspend as much as you like. Or is that just for completely useless players? I'm sure we can find a couple fringe players for you to pay 35 mill for
Kayteo (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Clearly the trouble is money? Champion's league football is the most lucrative prize a club can get in europe, so the league is more important than domestic cups. As long as that's the case we'll see united be play for the league cup
Jaele02698 (Napoli) 3 years ago
Johnny evans needs to get out of old trafford
And why would that be the case? , one of the best centre back prospects around, he's only 23 don't forget, and centre backs never come into their own until they reach their late 20's.
Who ever heard of the likes of john terry etc: when they were as young as evans? .... No one is the answer.
He could do a job for napoli, that's for sure

Kick4Life - changing lives through football