Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
World XI Vs Barcelona
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well I was reading an article about if we could compose a team to beat Barcelona who will be in it on goal.Com Link: www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2931/go-global/2011/06/22/... But I could not help but disagree with their team. So I wanted to make this forum to get your thoughts.

Hart-Well I do not rate Casillas highly because of the quality of defence he has in front of him he does not have that much to do in matches. And the threat of opposition in the La Liga is not good enought to threaten the Madrid back four so that is why I do not put him in the team. Hart is there because of his consitency. Outstanding goal keeper. Hardly see him making mistakes.

Lahm-This was a hard position to decide. Since for me Alves is the best right back there is but he plays for Barcelona. Lahm is outstanding both and defending and attacking. He is MR.Realiable. And he could also be one of the leaders on the pitch. I think he is one of the defenders capable of stopping Leonel Messi.

Vidic-It is true that he did fall victim to Barcelona on two occasions. But that was because his midfield got passed way to easily. But now he will have a better support. And you will see a more solid Nemanja Vidic.

Silva-One of the growing stars of the game. Just getting better and better each season. He is consitent solid and has good technical ability as well.

Cole-He is just simply the best at his postion. I do not think Messi can get the better of him. If they stuck Messi on the Right I think Cole could handle him. Like he did back in 2009 for 120 minutes.

Alonso-You need to play with some defensive minded players to stop Barcelona. Alonso is one of the best there is in the game if not the best. He would be great support for the back four and his passing skills is one of the best in the game today

Essien-Along with Alonso he is the best holding player in the game today. His work rate pace and physicality as well as Alonso as his partner in the center of the park could take care of Iniesta and Xavi.

Ronaldo-Well Messi is the best player on the planet but Ronaldo is right behind him. 40 goals and 10 assists in the La Liga. Enough said

Eto'o-I know this is not his postion but I just could not leave him out of this team. He dropping deep would cause problems to Barcelona's not so great defence.

Bale-Most people think he is overrated, even me. But him in his prime is close to unstoppable. With his pace and stamina. He would cause a threat to Alves for the whole 90 minutes.

Drogba-I had to think long and hard for this one. It was a tence battle between Rooney Ibra Torres and Drogba. But Drogba has it all. And in his prime he is unstoppable. And with this team behind him. He could win the game for this World XI
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
If we're talking about experience in the champions league, Hart hasn't quite made the mark. While he may have been in great form, he too, has a pretty decent back line before him. I'm not confident that he would be able to handle the likes of Villa, Pedro and Messi. For goal keepers, I will agree with the Editorial team at goal.com that Neuer should have the spot, and he has after all proven himself against Utd.

Elsewhere, Perhaps I think Sneijder should be taken ahead of Essien. Like Alonso, Sneijder is the creative force that will help penetrate a central midfield made of the very best. Sneijder is the only other player who can compete on even ground with Xavi and Iniesta.

As to your other options, I don't think there's a problem, except that Ronaldo and Bale should swap positions. Ronaldo is more of an offensive player, I know Bale is as well. So perhaps a change in formation, but shifting one man from the three man center midfield up with the strikers? Your choice of strikers is a good one, it's a balance between a goal poacher (Eto'o) and a technically gifted player (Drogba). Although Drogba could be replaced by Aguero, since Aguero is pretty much a more technically gifted player than many others
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
It would take a world xi to beat barcelona to be honest, picking the team would be a tough task though, theres so many good players around the planet to pick from, but I do reckon you could pick a team to at least rival them and give them a game
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think Casillas deserves the spot, his defence is too attack minded IMHO, him pepe were the guys that basically stopped barca after the 5-0 smashing
Do you not think casillas's back is sore enough picking the ball out of the net v barcelona? .... Lol
What are you saying? I do not get your point
I'm saying that barca has put the ball past casillas that much this season that he must have a sore back, with the amount of balls he's lifted out of the back of the net.
Its a joke mate
Ok. I wasnt angry or anything jst I didn't get what you were saying
Peteko 3 years ago
Tony, but he is an athlete. He can handle picking up the ball a few times from the net.
@Der Bomba this is a 4-2-3-1 Formation so Bale and Ronaldo are technically playing as inside forwards. So they are already shifted up. Aguero is a great player but since a usual Sub bench only consist of 7 players He will not make my bench
Kgb112 (Footytube Moderator) 3 years ago
-Neuer or Cech instead of Hart.

-No Bale. I don't think he is that great. Not entirely sure who else though. Maybe Nani or Valencia.

-No Eto'o. If it is a 4-4-2, go Drogba and Rooney with Ronaldo and as an advanced RM and Nani/Valencia as LM. If it is a 4-3-3, go Ronaldo right, Drogba center, and Suarez left
Suarez is an amazin player. And I really like him. But in their prime do you think Suarez will hurt Alves more than Bale
Waqaszeb (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Umm I'm a Barca fan but after reading this dude's first pick, and his description of Casillas I stopped reading lol rubbish
Jamada07 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
I like you selection but I have to say, your logic for picking Hart over Casillas is some how weak. Any one who has watched Realmadrid over the last past years knows that Madrid is not known for its defending prowess. Even now with Carvalho, Pepe, & Raul Albiol the defence is some how stable but it has been carved open on numerous occasions & Casillas has always lived up to expectation. Frankly if you ask me Casillas became popular b'cos of Madrid's bad defence over the past years. With that said, your selection looks goooood
Kiki911 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Your squad could lost completely to barcelona, there few good players but uve just put them in wrong positions.... I would suggest a 4-2-2-2 formation to counter the 4-3-3
GK(Neuer-BAYERN)
RB(Sergio Ramos-REAL madrid) RCB(V. Kompany-MAN. CITY) LCB(Thiago Silva-AC milan) LB(Taiwo-AC milan)
Cdm(essien-chelsea) CDM(Bastian Schweinsteiger-BAYERN)
Ram(Hulk-PORTO/C. Ronaldo-REAL madrid) LAM(Lavezzi-NAPOLI/Mesut Ozil-REAL madrid)
ST(Drogba-Chelsea) ST(Cavani-NAPOLI)
Which players were picked in the wrong position?
All the players need to be big imo, and creative, and above all efficient. Anyone who lacks the above will not deserve to be on the team
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Exactly. Check out my team I posted below
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
We need to clone the entire team and have Barcelona Vs Barcelona! The world MAY implode, but it'd still be a good game

Casillas

Lahm - Thiago Silva - Vidic - Ashley Cole

Yaya Toure De Rossi

Schweinsteiger

Pato Eto'o Aguero

Now to defend my picks:

Casillas - He is one of the best shot stoppers in the world but he is a must in my squad because of his excellent distribution. Other than Valdes, no one can match Iker in this category. Better distribution = more chances to score.

Vidic and Thiago Silva don't really need much explanation as they are simply the best CB's out there. I was contemplating putting David Luiz instead of Vidic due to his speed but Vidic won because of his positional sense and strength to win the ball.

Lahm and Cole are both chosen because they are both defenders first but are more than adequate enough in skill to move up the pitch to support the attack. I chose these two over others because as I said, they are defenders first.

The midfield is where the battle is going to happen. It is given that Barca are probably going to have the majority of the possession. Pepe would have been a good option in the eyes of many but he just isn't a good enough player to put in the midfield. I want a midfield who can win the ball, keep the ball and use the ball.

Yaya Toure - Well he was a success at Barca so that is going to check off my requirements of being able to keep the ball and use the ball. His ability to win balls, make tackles and interceptions is also exceptional and puts him near the top when talking about holding midfielders. Yaya also isn't afraid to dribble to open up the field and has a powerful shot which can make him a threat in the attacking zone.

De Rossi - Also a great midfielder, he won't mind doing the dirty work but can definitely do all the things which I want him to. Winning the ball, keeping it and distributing it is no problem for him. He will also bring to the table the ability to read plays, send passes and shoot from distance if given the opportunity.

Schweinsteiger - This is probably the one position which is up for grabs and can be fought over by players like Fabregas and Sneijder. I chose Schweinsteiger because I feel he is superior at controlling the tempo of the game compared to Fabregas and Sneijder. Either way, the person who fills this position is also going to be responsible for taking corner kicks which really do need to be exploited

The front three. Pato, Eto'o and Aguero.
All three of these players are similar in many ways and that is why I chose them.
All three of them are able to take an inch of space and create a goal out of it.
All of them are able to annihilate the offside trap and outrun most defenders.
All three can play in every top position and cause headaches with the movement
All three of this guys don't mind giving away the shot so their teammate can make a better one
And most importantly all of them are deadly finishers and aren't going to miss many chances.

Anyways, the team has a solid backbone of defenders who will do a great job defending. Having 4 defensive minded players in the back is essential and I doubt that these 4 are going to give away too many chances and if they do they have the worlds best goalkeeper behind them. Booger Booger Booger

The Barcelona press is what really kills off teams and wins the game for Barcelona, that is why it is extremely important to have 3 midfield players who are more than competent at playing the ball and making the pass. All 3 of them are intelligent players (most of the time) and won't mind going in for the tackle to try and get the ball. All 3 of the selected midfield players are superior in size to their Barca counter-parts which will be important in effectively using set pieces and corners.

The top 3 are all willing to drop back and receive the ball and make runs. Having all three of these players capable of doing the job is also extremely important in keeping the ball and creating an attack. As I mentioned above these players aren't very selfish. Yes they will take the shot but they will look for the pass as well

Anyways I hope reading this has somewhat entertained you. Chances are you didn't read the whole thing because it was so long though. If you read through it all let me know what you think
Great team. Good to see we both agree on the back four
The back four is probably the place where there are lots of different variations since there are lots of great defenders
This is the team, 4-2-1-3, with Bastian as the trequartista, I like it. 3 selfless strikers. But one will have to step up eventually so I would argue Drogba over Pato and put him in the center. Otherwise great team TBS.
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
This is a great squad Barcashow, you would know the best way to challenge Barca
I did want to incorporate a player like Drogba in there, I was thinking Gomez would be the best choice considering last years performances by the strikers.

I did however come to the conclusion that it was best to have 3 forwards which could play across all the positions instead of having one static stiker/target man figure in the middle. Thinking about it a second time. I still do believe that having 3 forwards who can move is important but if I were to go with a more traditional striker it would have to Ronaldo because of his speed and the danger he brings using his head. No way will he take free kicks over Schweinsteiger though

Anyways thanks for the compliments

The key really is to keep possession and to use it well. The midfield players are able to receive the ball and to play the ball with or without pressure on them and that really is the key.

I really think that this midfield is golden but I could settle for having Xabi Alonso over De Rossi but De Rossi is my first choice
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
First of all, I agree with goal.com's starting 11 except for 3 of their choices.

1. I wouldn't chose Neuer over Casillas ever. Sure Neuer had a pretty good season but, how can he be chosen over Casillas? Didn't Schalke come in like 10th in the Bundesliga. Casllias is the overall better pick.

2. Wilshere. Are you kidding me? This kid is so overrated by english fans its ridiculous. In all fairness, the kid is pretty good and performed pretty good against Barca but, theres no way he would ever be a starter on a starting 11 to face Barca. For Christ's sake, this isn't Arsenal. We have a choice. Lol

3. I wasn't sure about Luis Suarez. He's a really good Forward but, I think he still has little more to prove in order to be on the starting 11. I would put Robben even though he didn't have the best of seasons. A fast dribbler like Robben with a good left footed shot would be perfect to destroy Barcelona's wingbacks.

P. S: People who complain about Zanetti & Lucio Being on the goal.com team are idiots. Zanetti is a way better RB than Maicon, Lahm, Evra & Bale. He single handedly made Messi look like a ghost last season when Inter beat Barcelona. Lucio is Also way better than Vidic. Vidic has taken on Barcelona twice & both times Barca's forwards have made him look like a rookie. Lucio has the strength, height & tactical awareness that Vidic will never have. Like, you're replacing a guy who has won 2 champions league, a WC & a bunch of other trophies for brazil for Vidic. EPL fans are just ridiculous

My team would be:

-----------------Casillas--------------

---Zanetti---Lucio-----Silva---A. Cole--

------Sneijder-----Pepe------Ozil------

------Robben-------Eto'o-----Ronaldo---
You do realise you could have put your point across without being so rude. Wilshere probably got picked because he has played Barcelona and was MOTM! (Against the 3 best players in the world might I add).

All your basically doing here is trying to get your team represented as much as possible and being ridiculously biased. While I can see an arguement for Sneijder, kind of. Lucio over Vidic is ridiculous and so is Zanetti. The team your picking needs to play NOW, not when they were at their best and Vidic has had another fantastic season. The simple fact that Bale made your defence look like geriatrics and you have completely over-looked him says alot.

Furthermore, Robben should never make this team. No doubt he's a good player but he is far to predictable, cut inside - shoot with left foot, cut inside - shoot with left foot. Cut inside - shoot with left foot. He's definitely got a great shot when he's got the chance but I really don't think the Barcelona defence are stupid enough to give him the chance.

For future reference, less bias and less rudeness please and I might take your post more seriously. Inter fans are just ridiculous.

Ps. On a final note, Eto'o shouldnt make this team. A player who is argueably past his best and who Barcelona will know inside out is not going to do the damage you all believe he will do.

Rant - disengaged
I agree with Tomthedon. I think your post is a little bit biased. I agree Wilshere should not be there. But the thing you said about Arsenal was not needed. Bale made YOUR defence look like rookies but yet half you defence consists of Inter players. Zanetti did keep Messi quiet last season. But that was under Mourinho and with the help of the midfield. This midfield you put is to offensive to help out Zanetti. And Tomthedon is right about Robben. He is way to predictable
@Tomthedon. First of all, you're just angry because I snubbed out wilshere. Typical Arsenal fan, Your team & players win nothing and you still consider yourselves the best. As for Zanetti, who is better? Lahm? Evra? Bale? Lahm has never won anything, Evra was horrible this season & no where to be seen against Barca in the final & Bale was only good for the first half of the season. Zanetti was consistent throughout the entire season. Now with Lucio. How in the hell, as a soccer fan, are you gonna' say that Vidic is better than Lucio. What has Vidic won compared to Lucio. Lucio is way better than vidic anyday. Your a typical EPL fan who thinks the Premier league has the greatest players in the world. Are you forgetting that Messi has destroyed Vidic twice. If you don't like my team or my explanations then make your own. I'm not favoring my team, Goal.com has all 4 of those Inter players on their original Xl so if you don't like it then you can just deal with it. Enough said. @Kimaway17, I didn't mean to make my team look defensive. Pepe is my CDM while I would push Ozil & Sneijder forward and make them play LM & RM. I actually wasn't sure about Robben but, I wasn't sure about Suarez either. I honestly don't know who I'd put in the position. I'll leave that position up to debate since there are so many good wingers
You do not have to win anything to be involved in the team. So I do not think the reason why you excluded Lahm was nessesary. And if I remember correctly Zanetti was playing as a midfielder against Barcelona in 2009. I would agree if you put him in ahead of Pepe. 'But apart from Alves Lahm is defos the best right back. I would put him in there instead of Zanetti and axe pepe and put Zanetti instead of Pepe. And for the left hand position I would put Bale. His pace will cause the Barca back four some problems
Peteko 3 years ago
Oh common, what did Inter win? Wake up, it is 2011 and your team was sent home crying by Schalke04, ranked 14th in the last Bundesliga season. 14th mind you
I have to agree with Peteko. You use accomplishments as justification for your selection but your selection isn't very accomplished
I have to agree with Peteko. You use accomplishments as justification for your selection but your selection isn't very accomplished
@TheBarcaShow My team isn't very accomplished? Are you forgetting that Inter & Real Madrid are the only 2 teams that have been able to stop Barca from winning a trophy in the last 3 years. Real Madirid stopped Barca this year at the Copa Del Rey & Inter stopped them last year in Champions League. My team is composed of players that have experience in stopping Barcelona.

@Kimaway17 I know Zanetti played midfield against Barcelona last year but, in the second leg, Zanetti dropped back to play as a wingback and had messi on lock the entire game. That's something no other defender has done in the last 3 years. The same goes with Pepe. My Xl is made of players that have played extremely well against Barcelona. Other than Ozil & Robben, Every other player is performed well against the catalonians.

@Peteko I find it funny that you talk trash about my team getting kicked out of the Champions League against Schalke when your team has never made it to Champions League. No matter what you may think abot my team, at least we can say that we've won the champions league & defeated Barcelona in the process let alone make it to the tournament. That's something your team will never experience.

P. S: Don't like my Xl, Then make your own. Is that not what Kimaway17 said when he started this topic?
Anyways you are choosing players on individual performances because if so Wilshire should really be there.

About Zanetti. Zanetti is another year older and Messi has also moved to a more central position. The justification you have for putting Zanetti in the squad isn't there anymore
Peteko 3 years ago
Julio FC, that's the cheapest shot in the book and it says a lot about you.

I am a fan of Partizani because that was my local team where I was born and grew up. You are Inter's fan because you saw them on TV winning cups. You have no merit in their success and picking stronger clubs when you sign up for footytube does not make you smarter on football matters
JulioFC seriously. You stooped that low.common
Well said Peteko, unfortunately I believe the majority of people on this site picked their team from what they saw on TV and its a real shame.

I am really not bothered you left out Wilshere so please don't stereotype me. I wouldnt put him in a World XI either, he's far too young.

I will repeat what everyone else is trying to drill into your head. The World XI you are attempting to build should be based on current performances, NOT PAST performances. Otherwise i'd have Maradona and Pele up top. With this in mind, Inter won nothing this season and is suffering from its age badly.

I would agree Sneijder should get a look in at a position, but as for Zanetti, Lucio and Eto'o, no way in hell. We want a team to beat Barcelona, not a team that gets embarassed by a young Welsh boy.

Ps. And please stop stereotyping EPL fans, your being so god-dam rude. We don't all believe we have the best players in Europe, infact I don't think any EPL fan thinks that. As a matter of fact, it is probably on YOU that thinks that. The quality and depth of Madrid, Barca, AC, Bayern, Porto, etc makes it quite obvious that ALL of the best players in Europe are not just in one league. Don't be so ridiculous
Eto'o did have a great season last season. He scored 37 goals provided 15 in 53 games. That's being part of 52 goals in 53 games. Which is an impressive stat. So I do think Eto'o should be there
Julio you can make your point without being so aggressive and biased. People have their opinions you have yours just respect their points and try not to bite any ones head off Comments about felacio towards other people on the site is a little frowned upon as well haha

And taking shots at other people's club because they may not be the biggest club is completely uncalled for. Someone who supports their team no matter size or success should be applauded not dogged on. That's loyalty and true passion, so let's just have a good conversation about football without the hostilities. You can bring your passion and feeling across with something more humorous, not trying to say don't let your opinions known just try approach the site with a little more grace. Thank you

As for your team it's a good side, the point I would make is that Messi wasn't really at full strength against Inter because Barca had to ride a bus to Milan. So he may not have had the tireless energy he usually brings to a match, Inter's defenses may not have done so well against him in different circumstances. And Bale did make their d look pedestrian in the champions league this year. So people will disagree on different things, let's just try and keep it in good spirits
I do not think you can say that a particular league have the best players. Because people have different opinions of players
Nice post Kimaway I dig it, there are some great teams on here. Tactically I don't think you can try and fight Barca's fire with fire, so I will deviate from the 4 3 3 and though people will think I am crazy go with a 3-5-1-1. You need to stop Barca's midfield first and foremost, and having five in the midfield is a way to try and stop Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and MVP from combining. In the back you have a defender for every attacker in theory, the problem is Barca gets so many men forward through the midfield and their fullbacks that they can get overwhelmed. But if the defence plays dogged defence on the forwards and the midfielders do there job it could work. It's a system designed to win the ball and than spring the attack down the flanks, you need good central midfielders and forwards who can get it out to the wingers and get the Barca defence moving and chasing. The central midfielder sitting below the attackers has to have a good relationship the wing players and spring the counter quickly, but still has to do his job defensively. The attackers have to be aggressive and take their chances can't get too cute in front of goal. So here it is

GK:Timmy Howard(because he is such a beast against Lionel Messi)

LB:Aly Cissokho
CB:John Terry
RBhillip Lahm

LW:Gareth Bale
CDM:Michael Essien
CDM:Bastian Schweinstieger(see)
CM:Wesley Sneijder
RW:Cristiano Ronaldo

AT:Carlitos Tevez

ST:Samuel Eto'o

Tim Howard.... Haha got ya. A great goal keeper but it was a yoke I would go with Manuel Neuer. Neuer has always impressed me, but after watching him against United, I thought there was no one else I would rather have in goal. The last line of defence, big, strong confident, and not afraid to get at his defence if they aren't doing what they should. Casillas is great, but past his prime, Neuer is just entering it.

Cissokho, this was probably the hardest choice of whole squad. I had thought of putting a RB on Messi, someone who is right footed, who can stop him cutting inside. Lahm would be good on the left. But I love this player Cissokho, he is big and strong, but very technical as well and quick. If I were the manager I would tell him to play physical against Messiah, give him his right and the flank before the inside and stick to him like glue, don't bite on the give and goes. Ashley Cole is a great player and he has done well against Messi before, though Messi skinned him down the line a couple times in the match against Chelsea, but I like Cissokho's physical presence, he is a huge guy and if he could put in some crunching tackles in on Messi, clean or otherwise Lio could get discouraged(fat chance). I would also tell him, try not to get forward too much, though he is fantastic going forward, and if nothing is on just try and switch the field big and spring Ronaldo.

I chose John Terry for CB because he is a leader and he has done well against Barca in the past. A couple of seasons ago he was considered the best defender in the world, and I don't see him mentioned anywhere on goal or le tube. I thought I would give JT some love, though I am really not the biggest fan, his skill and determination as a defender is undeniable. His assignment would be Pedro, and to help on Messi and Villa cutting in. I know what you are thinking, that these big guys can't keep up with the diminutive figures of MVP, but both Aly and JT are extremely technical for their size. And like I said, playing physical seems like one of the few options against Barca.

RB I have always been a huge fan of Lahm, especially after he scored the first goal of the 2006 WC, what a strike But his defending is his endearing quality, for his size he is a beast. He has been a fixture of the German side in '06 as well as reaching the final in Euro 2008 and the great 2010 WC squad. And he is a club legend at Bayern Munchen, just a great defender. Villa likes to cut inside as well I think Lahm could handle him. If Cissokho is struggling against Messiah, it would be interesting to put Lahm, who is rightfooted on him.

Essien and Schweinsteiger were two of the easiest choices for me. Essien is one of the best midfielders in the game overall, and his greatest attribute is his suffocating, unrelenting defence. He is great at tackling, but one of the most important things will be to cut off Barca's passing lanes, and Essien's tactical mind is superb. You can tell he loves to just break up attacks and take the ball off people. He is good on the ball once he gets it as well and he and Bastian could get to passing the ball, though I would prefer them just spray it out wide or play a through ball, don't want these two getting caught. Schweinsteiger, what a player, can tackle, pass, shoot, take some one on. Germany has produced some of the greatest players in that position, Ballack, Lothar Matthaus, and of course the legend Franz Beckenbauer. Bastian is just a chip off the old block I guess, amazing player. Break up attacks with his tackling and reading of the game and make a pin point pass to start the counter. Barca is always moving, they play total football, and though they have positions, they aren't concrete. Michael and Bastian would have to be attune to that and have good communication with their backs and Gareth Bale. I chose Bastian as captain, between him, Eto'o and JT but I think Bastian is a good captain.

LW was a little tougher, but not really, Bale seemed a natural choice. His pace and incisive final ball into the area are unmatched in the position, and though Ozil is class, he doesn't have the defence credibility of Bale. Gareth can track back on Messiah and give him hell, and still make lung busting runs up the line without losing a step. Some of his displays this season were absolutely top class, and the crosses he put in to Crouch and Pavlyuchenko in the champions league were breathtaking. He can finish too and I think Sjneider and Carlitos would leave to feed the ball out wide to him. Eto'o preys on the type of service and I don't think Alves, Busquets, Pique and co. Would be able to stop Tevez, Bale and Eto'o combining.

RW:Ronaldo, tough one here, but I couldn't really leave him out. I wanted to put Saurez, but I thought I may get some flack for being biased haha which would have been deserved. Ronaldo fits the spot best, his pace is far better than Suarez, and though Luis is a better passer and a lot less selfish. It may be good to have a player just sting Alves' hands from distance given space. His crosses are lacking a bit, but he can make enough space for himself(at times) to play a good ball. And the 50 goals speak for them self, although against Barca I didn't think he was that impressive or champions league in general. And his defence, well might as well be non-existant, same with Suarez though.

Cm: Wesley, superb passer and can finish outside of the box. Full of guile and skill, his vision is one of the best in the game. And with him, Carlitos, and Ronaldo over the ball on a free kick, it's trouble(Bale can take it if it's better suited for a lefty.) If he can combine with Tevez and make the defence collapse a bit, he can make a perfect pass to the wings. And he has a great relationship already with Sammy Eto'o. Fabregas another good one at this spot, but Wesley was immense at the WC and has a champions league medal to his name. Defensively I haven't seen much, but it can be sacrificed with Essien and Bastian eating up Xavi and Iniesta in the middle of the park.

Carlitos Tevez, what can be said about the man. Never understood why he is never in the national team I guess we will see at the Copa America. His attitude is sometimes questioned. But once he is on the pitch he gives it all he's got, extremely strong for his size, may end up making more tackles than Wesley. His job is to attack though, and not be afraid to have a crack from distance, as well as move the ball out wide. Him and Sammy I think would work well together, they both have tremendous drive and can hold up the ball against the defence with their strength. He can pass as well, and well we all know of his ability in front of goal.

Samuel Eto'o, he has won three champions league medals, is an icon in his country and football in general, just a great footballer. He is a predator in front of the net and doesn't mess around with the ball in the box. Selfish in a good way, full of pace, great touch finish with both feet. With the fall of Fernando Torres and Wayne Rooney in 2010 WC and this past season, Drogba and Ibra maybe past their primes, he is alone at the top as the best striker in the world in my opinion. Always there in big games, a ridiculous goal scoring ratio at Barca and a goal in 2 with Inter, all time leading goal scorer in the African cup of nations, I am a big fan.

Subs:Matt Hummels, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Cesc Fabregas, Luis Saurez, Mesut Ozil, Wayne Rooney

Note if Neuer is injured put Rooney between the sticks. This got long, but I think it is an awesome question. These are the tactics I would use
Rooney in between the sticks? You are forgetting about Luis Suarez!

Anyways a good team. I am not a believer that a man-to-man defence would work on Barca because of how many players have the ability to beat several defenders and the high speed and work rate from Alves, and Pedro.

Anyways great pick with Bale on Alves because Bale is probably the only wing player who I think could really do damage to Alves
Well your left back is pretty good. But I do not think he is better than Cole nor good enough to Stop Messi. Cole in 2009 single handedly stopped Messi for 180 minutes. And I think he is also capable of hurting Alves when he gets forward. So That is the only thing I disagree on but apart from that great team
Actually 210 minutes
TBS ya it is risky to try and play this style of defence against Barca, but you have to take risks to beat a team of the quality of Barcelona. And someone would have stepped out on Messi when he scored the second goal, and on the third big Aly is running out on him to challenge him after the short corner, not Nani who Messi made look like a schoolgirl. I know what you are saying though that if Iniesta or Messiah skips past a few players you're done and dusted, but with the likes of Essien Bastian Bale (ronaldo can't play a lick of d) even Tevez suffocating room in the midfield, and the defence playing physical and not letting them get past without a challenge, you interrupt their attacking flow. May pick up a few cards and give away some freekicks but I think you pressure them and irritate their style, try and stop them from having all the space and knocking the ball around all game. I'll take the risk of giving a way a few chances and possible one on ones with Neuer than, parking the bus and letting them constantly chip away at us.

Kimaway, probably not good enough to stop Messi but no one is. I mean I remember Messi skinning Cashley a few times in that 2009 champions league semi. And I watched a video, it's more like he scalps him a couple times haha. Not only does Cole not get the ball, he lets Messi get away, though he tries to take him down. And everyone has been choosing Ashley, so I thought I would switch it up, plus I just don't like the guy haha.

Just to illustrate no one can stop him haha, Del Horno bruce lee kick to the thigh, as well as a hockey style check and he is still in the game

P.S. I had a little laugh about the Suarez comment wonder if he is actually any good at goalkeeper
Thanks for noticing the Suarez comment It made me giggle like a school girl when I first wrote it :$
It was pretty funny
--Manuel Neuer--
Lahm--Vidic--Terry--A. Cole
--Essien--Bastian Schweinstieger--
------Ozil------
Ronaldo--Drogba--Eto'o

Subs:Rooney, Sneijder, Di Maria, Tevez, Essien, Fabregas, Pepe

Neuer because he is a great GK and coupled witha good defence, Barca will fnd this impenatreble.

Vidic and Terry will form the foundation, the two big guys will both have a captain role and have the toughest job of neutralising messi assuming he is CM.

Lahm and A. Cole because at Heart they are defenders like TBS stated, and they're imo the best at tracking back.

Essien and Schweinstieger are one the best tacklers in the game and both are great at reading it, tough one putting out Xabi, but imho, I think their roughness is a good choice. And each will be sent on either Iniesta and Xavi.

Ozil with the help of 2 stong CDM will be able to Ochreastrate the game as he wishes. And neither of the duo inflicting this, its just Ozil vs Busqets, this is in my opinion, the battle for the game.

Ronaldo and Eto'o on the wings with Drogs in the Middle will make it an attack with full efficiency. Drogba will be the skyscraper while Ronaldo and Eto'o will do everything to get the ball to him.

I was reluctant to put Ronaldo into my squad because he still seems too much of a selfish player
Well 10 assist is quiet impressive. And that was in the La Liga only
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Duplicate of Barca Squad + Ronaldo. Would beat barca
Wow. Pretty creative
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
You must have spent at least 15 seconds typing that post
Haha. Less

Kick4Life - changing lives through football