Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup Host Selections
Homeguard (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yea Global warming, might as well take it north to Canada, or somewhere we melted all the snow
3 years ago
1996 was a glorious summer, the whole mood of our nation changed. Impromptu parties popped up on every street corner, pubs were filled, parks were overrun with friends, dads and sons kicking around footballs between games. People went to work and school with smiles on their faces and the only subject on everyones lips, from young boys to 90 year old great-grannies was football.

Newspapers were filled, this time, not with stories of hooliganism, lager louts and fights outside pubs, but with stories of football, of united joy and hope. This was Euro 96.

And that's why I was disappointed that England didn't get the World Cup. Plain, simple selfishness. Not that we had a god given right to hold it, nor that our bid was in some way superior to anyone elses. It may not have been the world cup back in 96, but it sure felt special and the chance to do it all again would have been immense.

But, its someone elses turn to experience that, and we can hardly begrudge them the opportunity. I just hope they make the most of it, put on a good show, treat the hoards of foreign visitors with respect and ensure their safety.

But most of all, have the times of their lives
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
Amen Netnerd! Great objective comment!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
FFS I think Liam is running for office. Lol
3 years ago
Oh my, I have a tear in my eye reading that back
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Fair play Netnerd. I have to admit I was getting bored of the bitter WC-related comments coming from our English footytubers
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
If you feel that Qatar is unfit to host the worldcup read this.

Link: confessionsoftheunemployed.blogspot.com/2010/12/so...
It is obvious that only people objecting these selections are English, but hey, the one that loses has right to be upset!

Now if you put aside emotions and look at it objectively, Russia was the right choice from many aspects. First of all, no one can deny influence that eastern European countries had on world football, and how many successful players and clubs came from this part of Europe throughout the years. Unfortunately, Russia is the only country from this region that economically is able to pull organization of the WC out, and they should definitely get it. Just check out stadiums and other infrastructure they will build for this occasion, and that will definitely help in raising Russian league on the higher level in post WC period. As far as I am familiar with English bid, no new stadiums were meant to be build for WC, but renovation of old ones. Beside that, most of the football capital is already invested in English Premier League, and in that sense WC would be just making rich man even richer, which is the last thing world football needs.

As far as some ridiculous comments like racism and like, please do not be that ignorant. Yes there is minority of people in Russia (extreme hooligans) that could cause problems, but do you truly believe Russians will allow anything like that affect their organization. Whoever finds me a country that's racist free, I'll buy him a beer! Does anyone remember campaign against organizing WC in South Africa (terrorism, safety, etc.), and we had memorable competition I would say (if we exclude quality of football played). It seems to me that to some people football should be played only in western Europe, and who gives a s**t about the rest of the world, that equally loves this game.

And as far as corruption, it is called lobbying these days, and it is a product of capitalistic economies (western Europe and US)! Do not approve it, but if you swim with the shark you gotta' learn how to bite!
Great post, Velja. You got everything spot on.

I tried to explain earlier about racism in Russia, but you said something that I forgot to mention, that the actual "violent racists" in Russia are obviously a small minority, I. E. Skinheads and such (not worth mentioning in he context of WC.... Remember how people expected South Africa to be a war zone, with gangs killing, raping and robbing fans?).
As for the actual racism in the society, it might be more in-your-face, but trust me, it's not more serious than in Western Europe. Just because in the West, people learned how to be politically correct does not mean there is no more racism. Ever heard the term "institutional racism"?

Anyway, I'm seriously starting to go off-topic (and off-football) so I will shut up now and say no more about racism
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
"And as far as corruption, it is called lobbying these days"

Uh, no it's called bribing actually, and it is a form of corruption. Nice try
I totally agree with you, but as "lobbying" it became socially acceptable. And do not be fooled that in English campaign there was not anything similar, just Russians were more willing to "lobby" for their cause, therefore they won the race. But still I truly believe that Russian bid was far better than English
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Fifa = corrupt.      Enough said.
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I blame Tony Blair
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I knew it that USA will not be hosting the cup anytime soon, also with japan. They held it jsut not too long ago. The world cup will go around to England next and then maybe others before it gets back to USA and Japan
[account-removed] 3 years ago
I am not so happy with all the selections. 2014, Brazil have already won the WC 5 times and they have already had the WC there before. 2018, This one is ok but I would rather have a place with more decent weather, such as NL/Belgium. 2022, The biggest surprise in my opinion. The country is too small, the weather is very warm trust me. They will be sweating very much, the fans of course. The players will faint, lol. I would be more happy if Qatar would co-host it together with. You. A. E. For example. However, the weather is still very hot
LegendisPaul (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
You know that Qatar is constructing indoor cooling facilities in their stadiums right? Of course the weather will be more unprecedented due to global warming lol
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I agree with most people above, all I have to say is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving Russia a chance to host the World Cup. Ok maybe they have racist people, but that is the only problem I see in the decision.... Remember how Fifa was criticized for giving the World Cup to South Africa, because of the high criminal rates in the country, but they proved the world wrong and did fantastic job in hosting (except from using the vuvuzelas)

I hope the same happens with Russia, hopefully they put away their racist behavior for just the 2 months that they will host the World cup and do whatever s**t they please after it is over.... On the Contrary, there is a lot wrong with giving the World Cup to Qatar, I will not even waste time listing those problems, because I am sure that most people have already mentioned it. All in all, I think people should just let this go (especially England fans lol) the decision has been made, now we just have to all hope, we get a good World cup in 2018 and 2022

And I think it is wrong for Fifa to give Brazil a chance to host the World Cup, they will easily win lol
Golaire (Bayern München) 3 years ago
You can find racist thugs anywhere in the world, not just a Russian problem, it's global
Ltm017 3 years ago
Thank you Golaire! Finally someone realise that. You walk or drive in the wrong part of certain countries and they come out like rats in the night...
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
And I also agree with you Golaire, but you rarely hear Racism in "Football" nowadays, except in Italy, Spain (both to Samuel Eto'o) and then Russia. That is the reason Odemwingie left Russia, he wasn't playing well for a period of time, and they start booing him (which is acceptable) and start calling him "names" and making stupid monkey sounds at him.

Then to make it worse, after he left. They had a poster saying, Thank you West brom.... With a picture of a banana.... How can you possibly explain that? Lol
I think that many people in Russia (and Eastern Europe in general) are so not used to seeing people of black skin that they show a different kind of racism than you see in the West. Some of the people there, especially the dumber, uneducated ones have the same conception of black people as the Westerners had back in the days of colonialism (in other words, very primitive). Also, generally in these societies, people sometimes treat the issue of racism in a very non-chalant manner, so even if they are not truly racist, they won't pay attention to the political correctness and stuff.

Also, Russia is a fairly poor country, where people generally look at immigrants with contempt and have the "go-back-to-wherever-you-came-from" rhetoric.

That's my impression. But the bottom-line is, I think that when the WC in Russia actually starts, we won't be seeing a lot of racism, just like we didn't a lot of crime involving players and fans in South Africa. I think in a way, it is a positive step for Russia to have many members of other races coming there for the WC, since it might help "normalize" things
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
2028 the moon if fifa get there own way
Probably probably.... But players have wear space suits and the game will be quite frustrating cos most of the time the ball will be floating in the non-atmosphere of the moon. Goals will be harder to score since kicking will be much harder and penalties will probably last for hours
Probably probably.... But players have wear space suits and the game will be quite frustrating cos most of the time the ball will be floating in the non-atmosphere of the moon. Goals will be harder to score since kicking will be much harder and penalties will probably last for hours
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Sepp blatter is already that high...
Perrygarl (FC Seoul) 3 years ago
I believe it's a good thing that nations which wouldn't normally be considered previously are being selected, while the reasons can be questioned.

The World Cup has to be just that, a World event, and despite nations from Oceania and the Middle East perhaps not being quite the same level, to promote the World Cup in their continent will no doubt bring an incentive for nations in that continent to improve their facilities in sport and football.

Regardless of the reasons FIFA gave the World Cup's to Russia and Qatar (I do agree that their ballots should not be secret.) I see this as a good thing for global football
Rooney4manu (Manchester United) 3 years ago
When do you guys think the WC could come to North America?
Micky (Chelsea) 3 years ago
The reaction you(general) and many Englishmen is having to this world cup bid decision is going to pros-pone the world cup from coming to England for another 8 years. People in FIFA is already saying that the reaction to the votes are immature
Ltm017 3 years ago
They are.... When people act like they are entitled to something it doesn't come off very well. Especially when the world is full of many different people in many different people with many different conditions
Too funny, England can't have a World Cup anyway because Russia is considered apart of Europe (member of UEFA), there is a rotation system between confederations. The reaction is justified. Fifa is just mad someone is calling them out for their corruption instead of playing along like Russia
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 3 years ago
Lion so true the same Russia that accused FIFA two day defore the decision of being corrupt and biased. Funny how now they are claiming there is no bias I think what they meant was the bribery process was fair and transparent
Micky (Chelsea) 3 years ago
You are right but going crazy only worsen the situation for England
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
Quatar is very promising, Extremely rich sheiks with nothing else to do for the next 12 years but build stadiums that are Insane in comparison to the ones we have now
With slave labor too!    Awesome!
Buckweed90 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I guess I'll probably be the only on who has this view but I personally agree with Fifa's choices and here are my reasons.... I think football is a world sport now, yes, the English had a better bid but I personally am thrilled to have an opportunity to be able to witness a new piece of history take shape and form. Giving countries like Russia and Qatar an opportunity embodies what Fifa's true values are, taking football to its fans from all over the world and embracing them, and the world at large as one. When was the last time an English fan watched a soccer match broadcast from Moscow apart from Champions league matches? I love the fact that Fifa has finally broken the trend of having the big European hosting every other world cup since the 1950's when so many nations have contributed to making football what it is today. I am proud of fifa
Ltm017 3 years ago
Thank you! Some one with some sense of not looking at it from a bias point of view. I start to think when countries began to think they are entitled to it because they are world and football powers!

Yes Fifa has their bad ways but football is a world sport and its not convenient for everyone why should it be convenient for just Americans and English?
Both of you may be well intentioned but you strike me as somewhat naive, think if the last World Cup had been held in South Africa under the previous apartheid government? Would that be alright just to reach football fans? To reward a racist and backward government with an international prestigious competition? Well newsflash guys the Russian government in its current state is not much better, it is a corrupt mafia state in virtually every way where democracy and free speech have no place in society where reporters are assassinated and.... And Buckweed what do you mean "Fifa has finally broken the trend of having the big European hosting every other world cup" Russia is holding each venue in the supposedly "European" part of the country.
"Giving countries like Russia and Qatar an opportunity embodies what Fifa's true values are" I completely agree with that statement, fifa's true value is utter corruption. You do not reward state's that have questionable human rights records, now maybe that means you don't give it to the USA but I consider it to be ridiculous for both of you to not compare the bids and ask yourself certain questions about the fact that England was bounced in the first round especially since they arguably had the best bid.
Fifa is corrupt on that basis alone World Cup '18 '22 is spitting in the face of every football fan and if the current process continues then '26 and '30, no matter where they are held will be another affront to football fans
What LionAiglon said
Ltm017 3 years ago
Okay I will not mention much about racist and backward government because the fact of the matter is there are a lot of them out there. I don't agree with thing Fifa has done and still don't. I personally would have wanted it to go to Australia and Belgium/Netherlands yes:

"Just because I did want to have it in a country where it was never hosted before"

England I ma happy didn't even get pass the first round. smile on my face for that. The United States had it in 1994 another good thing they didn't get it.

Ideally if it was a perfect world Belgium & Netherlands would have gotten it for 2018 and Australia would have gotten it for 2020.... But guess what? Its not and I'm not going to sit and complain about it especially when I don't think its the worst thing thing in the world. Also one is spitting in my face because there are a lot of crap that goes on in this world that could have people in a uproar but instead the hosting of the world cup does.... Serious stuff....

Kick4Life - changing lives through football