Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
World Cup Host Selections
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I blame Tony Blair
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Fifa = corrupt.      Enough said.
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
It is obvious that only people objecting these selections are English, but hey, the one that loses has right to be upset!

Now if you put aside emotions and look at it objectively, Russia was the right choice from many aspects. First of all, no one can deny influence that eastern European countries had on world football, and how many successful players and clubs came from this part of Europe throughout the years. Unfortunately, Russia is the only country from this region that economically is able to pull organization of the WC out, and they should definitely get it. Just check out stadiums and other infrastructure they will build for this occasion, and that will definitely help in raising Russian league on the higher level in post WC period. As far as I am familiar with English bid, no new stadiums were meant to be build for WC, but renovation of old ones. Beside that, most of the football capital is already invested in English Premier League, and in that sense WC would be just making rich man even richer, which is the last thing world football needs.

As far as some ridiculous comments like racism and like, please do not be that ignorant. Yes there is minority of people in Russia (extreme hooligans) that could cause problems, but do you truly believe Russians will allow anything like that affect their organization. Whoever finds me a country that's racist free, I'll buy him a beer! Does anyone remember campaign against organizing WC in South Africa (terrorism, safety, etc.), and we had memorable competition I would say (if we exclude quality of football played). It seems to me that to some people football should be played only in western Europe, and who gives a s**t about the rest of the world, that equally loves this game.

And as far as corruption, it is called lobbying these days, and it is a product of capitalistic economies (western Europe and US)! Do not approve it, but if you swim with the shark you gotta' learn how to bite!
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Great post, Velja. You got everything spot on.

I tried to explain earlier about racism in Russia, but you said something that I forgot to mention, that the actual "violent racists" in Russia are obviously a small minority, I. E. Skinheads and such (not worth mentioning in he context of WC.... Remember how people expected South Africa to be a war zone, with gangs killing, raping and robbing fans?).
As for the actual racism in the society, it might be more in-your-face, but trust me, it's not more serious than in Western Europe. Just because in the West, people learned how to be politically correct does not mean there is no more racism. Ever heard the term "institutional racism"?

Anyway, I'm seriously starting to go off-topic (and off-football) so I will shut up now and say no more about racism
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
"And as far as corruption, it is called lobbying these days"

Uh, no it's called bribing actually, and it is a form of corruption. Nice try
I totally agree with you, but as "lobbying" it became socially acceptable. And do not be fooled that in English campaign there was not anything similar, just Russians were more willing to "lobby" for their cause, therefore they won the race. But still I truly believe that Russian bid was far better than English
Rockerr (Liverpool) 3 years ago
If you feel that Qatar is unfit to host the worldcup read this.

Link: confessionsoftheunemployed.blogspot.com/2010/12/so...
3 years ago
1996 was a glorious summer, the whole mood of our nation changed. Impromptu parties popped up on every street corner, pubs were filled, parks were overrun with friends, dads and sons kicking around footballs between games. People went to work and school with smiles on their faces and the only subject on everyones lips, from young boys to 90 year old great-grannies was football.

Newspapers were filled, this time, not with stories of hooliganism, lager louts and fights outside pubs, but with stories of football, of united joy and hope. This was Euro 96.

And that's why I was disappointed that England didn't get the World Cup. Plain, simple selfishness. Not that we had a god given right to hold it, nor that our bid was in some way superior to anyone elses. It may not have been the world cup back in 96, but it sure felt special and the chance to do it all again would have been immense.

But, its someone elses turn to experience that, and we can hardly begrudge them the opportunity. I just hope they make the most of it, put on a good show, treat the hoards of foreign visitors with respect and ensure their safety.

But most of all, have the times of their lives
Amen Netnerd! Great objective comment!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
FFS I think Liam is running for office. Lol
3 years ago
Oh my, I have a tear in my eye reading that back
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Fair play Netnerd. I have to admit I was getting bored of the bitter WC-related comments coming from our English footytubers
Homeguard (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Yea Global warming, might as well take it north to Canada, or somewhere we melted all the snow

Kick4Life - changing lives through football