Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Will Manchester City Break Into The Top Four This Season?
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
The biggest question this year alot of people are asking is whether Manchester City will break into the top four. They bought Robhino last year worth 32. 5 million pounds and this year they have bought the likes of Tevez, Adebayour, Santa Cruz, Toure, Gareth Barry and seems next on their team list will be Lescott as David Moyes has given up pursuing him to stay at Everton
Will Manchester City Break into the top four? If not in the top 4, where will they stand?
If they do who will they replace, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal?
Will they be the first to win the Europa league and if they don't how far will they go?
AussieLFC (Liverpool) 5 years ago
This is the what? Second season they've purchased some big names yeah?

I personally think, that is does not matter how many stars you have, at the end of the day it's how well they play together - sure on paper, they have a great squad, but I don't think they have the chemistry and partnerships (as of yet) to convert that onto the field; it takes more than a spending spree within a season or two, to create an ‘instant’ top flight club.
Monrovia (Manchester United) 4 years ago
THEN LIVERPOOL WILL HAVE TO GO DOWN
Davis88 (Manchester City) 5 years ago
I certianly believe we will break into the top four. We have some great players this year and yes Lescott is next on our list. We can beat any team in the EPL and I have to say, Liverpool will be the team out this season as Arsenal seem to be strong. Next year we will no doubt be in contention of the champions league
Steveharvey87 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I disagree with your Davis, I don't think that Manchester City will certianly be able to kick Liverpool out from the top four, we are pretty strong and we have some great defence but this year might not be your year of breaking into the top four, maybe possibly next year
[account-removed] 5 years ago
Better chance next year but deffo a possibility
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Davis88 what you said is bs. Man city will not break into the top4 they play in the europa liga next season
Bello626 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
As many others say, maybe possibly next year. I saw Barça vs ManC and even Barça lost it was easy to realize that ManC was very very lucky. Besides Barça played with many young players and not with the main ones
LiverJoe (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I hope MC will kick off MU.... Hahaha, you can never kick us off.... Cos we have a great team with great player, great manager and great FANS.... These all you don have...
Big9al (Newcastle United) 5 years ago
Top 4 I think I doubt it.... Top 5 could be.... My prediction city are in 5th
Roonman8 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I doubt City will break into the top four. City will be 5th this season but they are most definte to be ahead of Villa and Everton this season. Maybe in the next couple of years, they might build a squad that will get into the top four but not this season
Fabscecs (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Manchester City breaking the top four, haha, sorry not happening this year
Micheal87 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think they have a slight chances of breaking into the top four. They are filled with attacking players and Adebayour is leading them well. Lescotts addition will strengthen their defence and Shay Given is doing a great job as a keeper. If they replace, I still think they might replace Arssenal buts its very tight to say anything yet
Joshuadevil (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Nope, there is no way they are going to break into the top 4 this season, end of story
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I think the deal has been made for Lescott. Man City agreed to the £24 million fee, and will be having a medical on Monday.

Yes, it goes without question that Man City is stacked with talent. On paper, they are a team that should be right up there competing at the highest levels for all the trophies and competitions. In addition, I think the playing field has been leveled (or at least more so) this season than in previous ones; it will be tougher for the top 4 this year than any other year. Tottenham has had an excellent start to the season, beating Liverpool, and they're on top right now. Man UTD lost to Burnley, who currently stand in 7th.

That being said, I think it is still to early to call. Will Man City have a successful season? They better, with all that money spent. So far, they have not lost a match, but they haven't really shown that firepower or explosiveness that should come from the purchases of Tevez, Adebayor, and Santa Cruz. Not to mention you already have Robinho, and you have Bellamy and Mwaruwar, who could possibly start on other teams. Man City's last game was a 1-0 win, a little lackluster given all those names they have.

This can go a few ways: Man City will have a spectacular season and land in the top three (although I doubt this one, but it's within the realm of possibilities, so I can't count it out). Another is that they will not break the top 4 (this can happen especially when you have a team full of really good expensive players that could not coalesce into a winning team). Another is that this year's competition is so close until the very end that they can either tie for 4th or be very close 4th or 5th. If they do not break the top 4, I can definitely see them winning the FA cup and/or Carling Cup. I can also see them go far in the Europa league, perhaps even win, if they make the final.

For them to have any impact, however, they have to come together and play as a team, not individual star players. As it is with some star players, they have quite a lot of baggage and huge egos, and Man City has picked up a few of them. Furthermore, they have to hope that players do not suffer serious injuries. Injuries you cannot foresee; however these variables must be taken into account.

MY picks: Man City will be a close 5th barring any catastrophic collapse of the top 4. They'll win the FA Cup, runner-up to the Carling Cup, AND (I'm crossing my fingers and sticking to this) will win the Europa League
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think Tottenham seem to be the team more likely to break into the top four. They are undefeated and looking like a very good team that can grind out wins (they fell behind today, but came back to win). Liverpool only lost twice last year, once was to Tottenham and they have already beaten them again this year. I would be surprised to see City pull off that feat. I just think Tottenham has the better chemistry, more depth where it counts and will be tougher competition against the big four, which will allow them to break into the top four more easily.

Harry has got them firing on all cylinders and I think they have a better chance of breaking into the big four than City, who are relying their million dollar club to come together and play like a team
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Agreed. They also have a better coach
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I am not going to completely discount City here, but it's going to take them at least another season to develop that team chemistry and self belief required for a top 4 finish. A bit wishful at this point, when you are contending against the likes of Man you, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea - just my opinion.

My prediction: We will see another season of inconsistencies from Man City; a great game followed by ties or losses to teams they should be beating. But they'll continue to get better.... With money you can quickly buy talent to rectify problems! It's the team chemistry that's priceless, and the longer they play together, the more of a threat they'll pose to the established "top 4".

With that said, anything can happen! That's the beauty of football.
Gavrazor (Manchester City) 5 years ago
I think a lot of people are speaking way too soon and I will love to pull up this thread at the end of the season and name and shame all the jelous people, having an opinion such as, they 'probably' won't break into the top four is ok, but when you get people acting as if city were candidates to be relegated like this "Nope, there is no way they are going to break into the top 4 this season, end of story" its a bit pathetic
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Definitely seems a little close minded to say that at the very beginning of the season doesn't it. But he's a manchester United fan what more can you expect, he probably doesn't like City that much
Sally87 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think Manchester City will come close but at the end of the day, they might not be able to break into the top four. They have great strikers and plenty of them and I'm just trying to think how Mark Hughes will be able to make everyone happy because all of them would want to start. Lescott deal is done deal, he is pretty much a Manchester City player
Another team that might even do better than Manchester City is Tottenha, they are playing really well so far and I think alot of teams will find it difficult beating them than Manchester City
In the end my prediciton is that City will come 6th and Tottenham will come out 5th. Manchesster City will not win more than 1 of the games from the Top four as they are still pretty strong but they might might make it to the Final of the Europa league
Zach (Manchester United) 5 years ago
City didn't qualify for the Europa League last season, the slots went to Villa, Fulham and Everton
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
City should have been playing the Europa league as they could have been great contenders for winning the trophy with the player they have but not to happen this year
Turk008 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Its defintely too early to say whats going to happen. I think they might not be able to break into the top four this season, maybe in the next couple of years as the other four teams are still pretty strong. The team has a new squad and all the players are getting used to playing with each other but they probably will peform well in other competition this year
Carey008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Maybe not this season but they might perform well this season that alot of players might consider going to Manchester City next year
Derrikmain (Chelsea) 5 years ago
You can't underestimate Manchester City yet, they have a good squad so far but as the season progresses and we see how they play, then we can tell. They did beat Barcelona but Barcelona game was just a friendly which they wernt taking seriously. If not this year they possibly could break into the top four in the next couple of years
I agree as a few people mentioned above and they might win another trophy if not the league or Europa league
Fiasko (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I thought they didn't qualify for the Europa league this season...
Xybati (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I don't think Man City will break into top 4 this season.... Maybe 5th.... But I think they are real contenders for the league cup and FA cup
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Yes they will challenge for the domestic cups and I expect them to win one of the them. They have the squad to win at least one trophy this season

Kick4Life - changing lives through football