Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Why Is There Racism In Football?
Lifeguard 2 years ago
There has been much talk of racism and racial slurs over the recent months in and around the football world, what is your take on this? Isn't this the world's game? Luis Suarez will never look the same to me after all the fuss about Evra. Football is a diverse sport, one which every nation of the glovbe participates in. The World Cup is the greatest sporting event in the world, and by far the most noteable. SHouldn't football be the pioneer for equality among competitors seeing as we all are equal as members of humanity?

In the movie Victory, or Escape to Victory, a German officer in WW2 was brought to his feet when Pele scored an overhead kick. He realized that the beauty of the game far exceeds any racial boundaries:

So if a hypothetical character in a movie can see the beauty, why can't we all? The game of football isn't for one group of people; it's called the world's game - the beautiful game - for a reason. No other sport has so many players of such high caliber from so different a range and variety of nations and peoples from such diverse backgrounds. This game unites us all, so why do we still see racism?
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
The thing is real football fans see football for the beautiful game it is, the fans that aim racist chants at players are not fans in my eyes they are intruders that are trying to bring the game as we know it to it's knees!

The colour of ones skin does not matter once the whistle goes and ball starts rolling, nor does it matter before hand, it's up to the players on the field to conduct themselves in such a manner that the fans especially the younger more impressionable one's that look up to them to put aside their petty differences and show them and the world that they can rise above all this racism talk and get down to playing football!

Terry, Ferdinand, Suarez, Evra, I'm talking to you, you are role models to these guys, time has passed now and wounds can heal, help football move forward by accepting apologies and being the bigger men and show the fans that it's not a big deal!

How can we rid football of racism when the footballers themselves are at it fighting like kids in the playground.

That was why I was for scrapping the pre-match handshake, to try to avoid the press that comes with these high profile situations!
Samrsenior (PSG) 2 years ago
@Lifeguard About the movie, it happened in reality when Jesse Owens won the gold medal in the Berlin Olympics 1936, Hitler personally shook is hand and congratulated him.

I don't believe that any of those football players named above have that deep-seeded belief that they are on the top level of the "racial hierarchy", the way Nazis or KKK do.

That is mostly a result of anger, stress, and constantly being under pressure by the media?

You have to realize these people are constantly attacked by fans or the media in both their personal and professional lives. I don't approve any racial slurs, under any condition, but if it happens I'm not losing my mind over it.

The biggest punishment for those players using that kind of language would be boycotting them from media attention and ignoring them. If they did, I promise most of you won't even remember what JT or Suarez looked like after a few months. But that never happens though the media wants more ratings, hence the heated debates and quarrels over a bunch of nonsense, and that only deepens the animosity further and further.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football