Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who's Your Favourite Scottish Player Past And Present?
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Seen as there is not a huge contingent of Scot's on here I wonder just how much people know about our homegrown stars?

One of my favourite past Scottish players would have to be Ally McCoist for obvious reasons, he's pushed very closely by Andy Goram!

One of my favourites who are playing just now would be Alan Hutton or Darren Fletcher, more so Fletcher because of his loyalty to Scotland!

What do you guy's think?

There are alot to choose from in my opinion!
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
There is. But I do not know a lot of Scotish players. King Kenny is deffo my fav player from the past. And Charlie Adams is my favorite atm. He is just amazing that player. I hope he will be back in the Premier League
Ruskin (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Dennis the menace Law Archie Willie, with Suoey in the midfield and Dalglish, for longevity and not to mention Alex.... .... .... .... .... .... ...
There are many greats in the past, Dalglish, Law, Souey, Johnstone, its a crime they have never made it out of the group stages at a major tournament!

But yeah these are all great players, and some of them have the making of great players too, Charlie Adam in particular, he was let go at Rangers too early, but the Rangers fans are notoriously impatient and he wasn't given the time, he has the makings of a great wee player!
I think Charlie Adam is something special. And I really really hope he goes to a better club. Because I think he has the ability to be one of the best players of his generation
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Theres been stacks of great scottish players, at rangers I like ally mccoist, who doesent?
And an oldie in willie johnston, dennis law.
At man utd I liked martin buchan, brian mcclair.

Current players, charlie adam, kenny miller, stevie naismith, darren fletcher
Kenny Miller hasn't always performed at club level but always turns it on for Scotland, has the tendancy to mis-fire sometimes though! Lol

James McFadden is another that could turn it on for Scotland!
He might misfire, but he never misses a scotland game, that has to be worth something, while others who live here couldn't turn out for scotland, kenny missed turkish league games to turn out for his country, most admirable in this day and age, if only more were like him
Yeah can't argue with that, his loyalty to Scotland is unrivaled! Darren Fletcher seem's to make most game's, if he misses a game he usually is genuinely injured!
A dying breed john
Man I wish there were more players like him. It really annoys me how players give 110% for their clubs and only 50% for their country
Honestabe (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Past? The King.  Present? Adam.
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Iwelumo

Lol I played with him in Burnley in Fifa 11 in MM, was alot more clinical
Oh man I bloody cringe everytime I see that! Lol
Peteko 3 years ago
It is like a bad dream
Just so you know, that's not how to win over the fans who were a bit miffed by his call up at the time! Lol
Peteko 3 years ago
Haha. Maybe the fans are to blame then. They jinxed his luck by doubting his call up. Lol
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Barry Ferguson is my favourite Scottish player. He's a decent playmaker, I really enjoyed watching him playing for Rangers especially during the season 2002-2003, he was at his peak. His vision, technique, set-pieces, short and long passes are top class. His attitude and fighting spirit on the pitch were very inspiring. Although he hasn't been as successful with Blackburn, Scotland and Birmingham City as he was with Rangers, Ferguson remains a notable player.

My favorite moment from this player was that Free-kick scored against Celtic in the 2002 Scottish Cup Final. A PURE beauty! (5.40)

Peteko 3 years ago
What a game. Thanks Zlatan for posting this
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Current players, Barry Robson is one of my favorites, I haven't seen him since he left Celtic for Middlesbrough though. Kris Boyd I have a soft spot for even though he played at Rangers haha, legend he plays at Middlesbrough as well I think. Charlie Adam is class, real quality player, have mixed feelings of him coming to Liverpool though, I really like Meireles.

All time of the King is my favorite, his footballing mind is one of the best to have ever existed. Go on Kenny! Alan Hansen is another Scottish legend who played for LFC, and of course the ultimate in LFC legends Shankly himself
Get in the queue duncan, the original scottish KING is dennis law, even kenny will tell you that, but kennys worth his title, great player in his heyday
Peteko 3 years ago
I am actually reading Kenny's autobiography. I am enjoying it and would recommend it. I can only assume that a Liverpool fan would enjoy it even more than me. But then, I assume also that every true Liverpool fan has already read it.

Anyway, there he talks about Law as the hero of every kid growing up in Scotland, himself included. He pays tribute to the guy, although he does mentioned how he beat his record of goals scored in the European cups by a Scottish player. (The implication was that now, HE was the king. Or so it seemed to me.)

I am at the point when he has just been called to become manager in 1985, while he is still a player. Don't tell me how it ends.... LOL
He takes liverpool into the conference league.... Lol
Peteko 3 years ago
Hahahaha spoiler alert.    (Actually he is still in time for that.)
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Denis Law, Billy Bremner, Kenny Dalglish, Wille Johnston, Joe Jordan, Archie Gemmill, Gordon Strachan, Ally McCoist, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Alan Gilzean and Steve Archibald
That's a nice list of past players and all great one's too! Any of our current stars that you like? Alan Hutton maybe?!
No, can't think of anyone of today's players on the level of the above mentioned. Charlie Adam is ok but still not a favourite.... Hutton has too many flaws as a defender, expect him to leave Tottenham this summer
Alan gilzean was a favourite of mine, I forgot about him, and steve archibald, two great goal getters
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
David goodwillie
Susan boyle
Billy Connolly
My favourite comedian, the mans a genius
Another of my favourite comedians is also Scottish. Danny Bhoy... Watched him live here in NZ just a few weeks ago. You should check this one Tony, to clarify how you hear the difference between a Scot and an Irishman....

Hahaha, very good frank, never heard of the guy before, I will be looking out for more.  
Peteko 3 years ago
In his book Dalglish mention Charlie Nicholas not as the greatest but as the most "naturally talented ever to emerge from Scotland". (I certainly have no recollection of him, but I didn't follow much EPL then.)

He also mentions Jimmy Johnstone as a "magical winger" but who joined Sheffield United when he was past his prime
Jinky johnstone {as he was known}.... Yes, but charlie nicholas? , he was a decent player, but far from anywhere near the best to come out of scotland.
And I don't think jimmy johnstone ever played outside of scotland, or celtic, but he was a tricky little customer
I remember Charlie Nicholas when he played for Arsenal. Definitely had talent but he fancied himself as a bit of a playboy, nicknamed Champagne Charlie and some even started saying he was trying to be a George Best copy...
Ach Never was a fan of Charlie and I'm still not, he does my t*ts in on Sky Sports! Lol I remember he was slagging off big Kyle Lafferty about his poor goalscoring record and when they told him about it big Laff responded with "I'm sorry Charlie who? " Lol
Paul McStay was a good Scottish Midfielder along with the now Norwich manager Paul Lambert, I think Paul won the Champion's league with Borussia Dortmund in his first season with them!
I'm offended that charlie nicholas could think he could drink like bestie, never mind play football?
7 miss worlds charlie, top that.... Lmao.... Playboy my ass
Haha.... I thought that would rark you up a bit, Tony!

Forgot about Paul McStay, he should definitely also be on the list. Don't remember Lambert as a player...
We've had a couple of cracking keepers too, Goram and Leighton spring to mind, and Craig Gordon and Allan McGregor are pretty decent too!
Neil alexander
Yeah he's another solid keeper, it's a shame he has to sit behind Allan McGregor at Rangers, he deserves to be playing first team football, I wouldn't have blamed him for seeking a move away from Rangers in search of regular football!
I'm surprised he hasnt john, he's a very good keeper left sitting on his ass every week, bar injury to mcgregor
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
None other than The King: Denis Law!    

Kick4Life - changing lives through football