Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Would You Put In The England Starting XI?
Aussie1991 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Just wondering what peoples starting XI would be for the upcoming world cup and why....

Mine is:

------------------------------James------------------------------

---Richards-------Terry---------Jagielka--------------Cole

--Beckham------Gerrard-----Lampard--------A. Young

-------------------Rooney--------------Owen----------------
Xybati (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Where is Ferdinand?
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Is he still injured?
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Is he still injured?
Lavelle (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Johnson?
[account-removed] 4 years ago
--------------Green----------------

--Johnson---Terry---Lescott--A. Cole

--lennon----Barry---Lampard--Walcott

-----------------Gerrard-----
----------defoe----------
GoonerXi (Arsenal) 4 years ago

--Johnson--Terry--Ferdinand--A. Cole

-Gerrard---Lampard--Barry---Walcott

----------Rooney---Crouch-----------
I couldn't decide between johnson or richards.... Nice team though...
Ninsane (Manchester United) 4 years ago
At this moment I think johnson has been better playing right side
Where is defoe?!
Ashkul (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Johnson is a beast at the moment, and i'd have:

-----------------------Foster---------------------

---Johnson---Terry---Ferdinand--Cole---

--Becks------------Barry----------Gerrard--
---------------------Lampard--------------------

------------Rooney---------Defoe--------------
Ashkul (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Explanation:

Joe cole is injured, otherwise he'd be in at barry's expense and the mid would switch to a flat 4.
Johnson is out-and-out the best RB at the moment in England
Green and hart are doing well, but my united allegiance gives foster the edge in my selection
Lennon and wright-phillips are too inexp. And can't cross fo shizzle
Theo walcott: see lennon and SWP
Carragher, upson, jagielka, king, woodgate: no chance while terry and rio are fit
Young: experience issues, he's quick and twisty, but defoe is the same thing
Owen: possibly, but only if he plays enough to regain form

I'd also like to experiment with this setup (unfortunately, no place for defoe):

------------------------Foster-------------------------
---Johnson-----Terry--Ferdinand-----Cole---

------------------------Barry---------------------------
---Becks----------Lampard------------Young---

------------------------------Gerrard------------------
-----------------Rooney-------------------------------

This allows gerrard to play in that hole behind the striker and rooney to feed off/work with him. Alternatively, rooney could play on the left wing and defoe could be the striker gerrard feeds...
Kranczi82 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
-----------------Hart--------------------

---Johnson--Terry--Ferdinand--A. Cole

---SWP----Gerrerd----Barry----A. Young

--------Rooney---------Defoe------------
Yashan (Manchester United) 4 years ago

--Beckham--Gerrard---Lampard--J. Cole

----------Rooney---Crouch-----------

Green has been doing well in the EPL. I do not think that any of the younger goalkeepers are ready for it yet. The back line seems almost a no brainer. Beckham contributes crossing, passing, and dead ball skills that no one in england possesses. Crouch can greatly benefit from those. Joe Cole can attack from the left while most of the left mids are out and out wingers
Flexdan (Manchester United) 4 years ago

--Beckham--Gerrard---Lampard--A. Young

----------Rooney---C. Cole-----------
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
----------Green---------
--Lennon--Gerrard--Lampard--A. Young
-------Rooney--Defoe/Owen--------

Subs:James, Brown, Upson, J. Cole, Beckham, Barry, Lescott, [C.] Cole, Walcott, Owen/Defoe
Thomas1978 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well, England looks a sure bet for qualifying into the wc2010. Guess most people are rooting for England due to the popularity of the EPL.

Mine line up as follows:

1) Joe Hart

I was initailly rooting for Foster but think he has to prove alot as I think he lacks the focus during crucial games. Like James, I think he is pretty error prone.

I will probably have Joe Hart who I rate really highly and I think has great composure in goal.

2) Glen Johnson

Johnson has improved loads in the past season. He has more maturity in his play now and he should really be the 1st pick for right back now that Neville is over the hill.

3) Terry and Rio Ferdinand

Terry and Ferdinand are probably the 2 best defenders around in the League so should be no arguments here. They will be a great partnership. Terry's steel and hunger with Ferdinand's reading of the game will be great.

4) Ashley Cole

Left back spot is definitely Cole's, he is just the best English player in that position at the moment. Bridge as back up will be great.

5) Stevie G in right midfield

I will put Gerrard in midfield due to his industry and great crossing abilities. I will not have him in the center as I think he is too similar in the way he likes to go foward when compared to Lamps.

6) Barry and lamps in center mid

Lampard is really the man in the middle for me, a great midfielder with great desire and work rate. Ability to produce cover defensively and going foward in support is crucial.

Barry has done well under Fab in the midfield and should retain his place. His passing ability will be crucial too.

7) Joe Cole / Ashely Young

Cole will be the 1st choice in left mid if fit. Cole is so talented and so versatile and has loads of experience. He is the kind of player you need in a big game as he can produce.

8) Rooney and Defoe

Rooney is great both upfront or just behind the main man. Either way, he is a great threat to all teams.

Defoe is simply the one of the best finisher and someone you will want the chance to fall on in an tight game. His pace will be crucial too.

===
Please follow my blog, thank you.

Link: lets-talk-soccer.blogspot.com
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wow.... Nice job man.... Good reasons...
Thanks man.    ===  Please follow my blog, thank you.      Link: lets-talk-soccer. Blogspot.com
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well said, though I think I may rate Foster and Hart about the same. It's a dead heat for me. They both make silly mistakes in goal on occasion, but come up with critical saves more often than not. I like SWP or Young on top of Joe Cole, but it's been ages since he's played so maybe once I see him around again playing well I'll change my mind. Just my two cents. I think the Defoe/Rooney combo should be a given up front. Maybe Owen could sneak into the picture since he and Rooney play together, but only if he catches his form this coming season
I know I'm late to the party, but I completely agree here. I'd take Young over Cole, and Cole of SWP, but I think otherwise, you're spot on. I don't see why so many people have put crouch in their lineup. He's excellent in the air, and commits to the ball when needed, but isn't the reliable strike force that Rooney, Defoe, and even Owen are. What a great squad England has. =]
GK: David James
Rb: Glen Johnson
Cb: John Terry
Cb: Rio Ferdinand
Lb: Ashley Cole
Rw: Ashley Young
Am: Steven Gerrard
Am: Frank Lampard
Lw: Arron Lennon
Cf: Wayne Rooney
St: Jermain Defoe

Subs: Crouch, Jagielka, Lescott, Barry, Beckham, Downing, Walcott
Lennon is a great shout. He has everything but just lacks the final ball.

He will be great once he improves that aspect.
===
Please follow my blog, thank you.

Link: lets-talk-soccer. Blogspot.com
He did great against pool as well, leaving 3 players in his dust...
Yamsy we have something in common I have the exact same line up as you except the keeper
Lol? Is that good or bad?  Well, great minds think alike jk...
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Nice, alot of pace on the flanks.... Two central attacking mids eh?
Yea, I can't think of an England squad without Gerrard and Lampard...
Ah Um I'm not sure but if where just thinking about the England sqaud than it's good
Yidarmy4lyf (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
------------Green--------------
Johnson--Terry--Ferdinand--Cole
Lennon--Gerrard-Lampard-A. Young
------Defoe-------Rooney-------

Sub:walcott, agbonlahor, barry, lescott, crouch, bridge
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
------------------James---------------

---Johnson--Terry----Ferdinand--A. Cole--

---Beckham---Gerrard--Lampard---Milner---

------------Rooney---Defoe---------------

Sub: Green, Bridge, Lescott, Barry, A. Young, [C.] Cole, Owen

My main reason of picking Milner is that he really does well in the game against the Dutchs. He will earn Capello's trust and be included in the starting line-up
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well because england have so many mid's theye if they want can be the most versatile naitonal team right now if they wanted the could start a pacey team with lennon and walcott defoe or they could play a more wing bound team with beckham and milner and start crouch and cole
Almost all of us put Stevie G and Lampard together, but can they actually play together?
I think so.... I just don't see either of the two playing further out near the wing, and theres no way that I would choose Gareth Barry over Stevie G or Lamps.... They are both much more technically gifted and more attacking than Barry.... Plus they have plenty more experience.... Something England need right now
I totally agree, I don't feel comfortable playing either one on the wing.... And Barry isnt' close to their level...
UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 4 years ago
--------------james (c'mon now)---------------

-----johnson----rio--------terry------cole------

--Joe Cole----Stevie G-----Milner----Wright-Phillips

Defoe roon-dog

Subs- Hart, Walcott, Lamps, Bent, Lescott, Downing
Wait, your playing Milner in the middle? Instead of Lampard? Or even Barry?
Yeh that doesn't make much sense...
Basically I feel like you need to have balance in the center-mid. 1 Defensive and 1 Offensive Role. I really feel like Lamps and Stevie G are almost the same player in terms of tactics, role, and attacking vigor and in turn can't play well with each other bc one will wind up running too far up with the other bc both are very confident in their long-shots and tend to gravitate to the top of the box which could unleash a vicious counter-attack no matter who they play. I feel like Gerrard is a little bit better/smarter and they should rotate those two especially when it becomes crunch time.... Another case of balance!

When you bring a younger Milner into the picture, one can almost see a fresh glimpse of Lampard and yet a Solid Rock DM that will/can rightfully chase down anything. With his stellar awareness and excellent long passing he easily will release anybody on the wing backfiring a potential counter which is what he is all about.

Barry's good but he's a Baffoon. Milner is better and takes pride in his work.

I left out Micah Richards and Young/Bent/Pennant/or Lennon of people I would also choose

Are we talking about James Milner?
Ok, honestly I thought when you referred to Barry, that it was Barton, haha. My mistake. Barry is very good and does have more experience than JM which makes him a much more deserved candidate.... But, these two should be the interchangeable CDM while Lamps and Gerrard should back up one another in the line up....

Bartons A baffoon
Ninsane (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I can't say Lampard is the same as Gerrard. G dribbles more and has more speed, while Lampard is better in positioning. I still think they both should play at the same time. Best england midfielder at this moment
Lampard and Gerrard are both dangerous players in the mid field, but for different reasons. Lampard is all about positioning, creating opportunities, getting into the box and putting ideas in motion. Gerrard is a threat from everywhere, but doesn't pass the way Lampard does, and doesn't commit to the ball in the box nearly as often. I think they complement each other perfectly, and connect well
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Here's mine:

------------------------James------------------------

--Johnson--------Terry---------Ferdinand-------Cole--

---------Gerrard--------Lampard---------Barry--------

---Young--------------------------------------Rooney

-------------------------Defoe------------------------

Defoe has certainly been on form, and Gerrard, Lamps and Gareth can all attack even though they are in a holding midfield position. I don't think Gerrard suits the wing, but Rooney has been playing there for Manchester United, so he might fit the bill. Young was good against the Netherlands, and my defence have been performining normally, except Ferdinand, who was astonishingly bad against Holland. James is in my goal
Good shout, Rooney can play on the flank, letting all three mids to play...
Xybati (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Quite interesting formation...
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Yeah, good one. But remember England can only play in the 4-4-2 squad
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Like the idea maybe put in Walcott for Young but that is a good shout. However Capello will never play 433 in a knockout competition. Way too risky he will stick to 442 although with Rooney being the workhorse that he is the formation would work

Kick4Life - changing lives through football