Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Plays The Most Like Zidane?
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
I know! Lol
I don't want to hear rants about how nobody can match him etc. I know that much =P

What I really wanna know is.... Is there a player out there, right now, that has the same type of Swagger as him on the ball. His elegance when he dribbles. Calm. Collective. Good first touch. Good technical ability. But most of all his style. I want to know which players look like they're just walking through players with ease when they're out on that pitch. Zidane was not a speed freak so I don't want to hear Messi or Ronaldo. I can only think of one player off the top of my head that will come close and I will reveal him shortly, but I know there must be more of these rare breeds out there. I just want to know what a couple of you guys think first. He doesn't have to be CAM. Literally could be a CB for all I care. Were not talking about sheer ability to create and score goals.... I'm talking style. Swagger. Elegance
OK.... So my choice is Edin Dzeko. Disregard some of his bad performances this season. If you have ever watched this man play and I'm talking a full game not just highlights, you'll see his first touch when he controls the ball its always a smooth and comfortable control almost like he's caressing the ball lol, if youve ever seen him using his dribbling skills youd notice surprisingly, he's actually very good at it.

His tall stature and physical strength help him calmly move past players while shielding the ball, keeping close control and not using much pace (like Zidane). But above all I think what makes me think of Zidane when I watch him play is how Ice cold and Calm he is. The man just does not panic.

I've tried to find videos of his skill moves and first touches/controls during games but they're all goal highlights (of course him being a striker and all)

I did find this, witch was his first game for City I think it shows just enough

Totaldribble 3 years ago
Dzeko's goal at the weekend was very Zidane-eske
Krokodilizm (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
Dzeko is not even in my top 1000 list
Oddshot (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
Dzeko is pretty similar in his movement I agree
Lol krok that's quite the list care to share it with us?  
Krokodilizm (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
I mean't top similarity list not skill level
Mongol99 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Mesut ozil
See the thing about Ozil is Of course he is the new 10 at madrid but as far as playing style I think the similarity between them lies only in the Passing. Ozils brain works nearly at the same rate as Zidanes the awkward angles and creativity etc
Duces14 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Xai from Barcelona is the obvious choice. Gourcouff is similar but hasn't really hit the heights expected of him nor has he done it when it counts against the best teams. But ozil in 2 or 3 seasons I think will the closest to him
Mongol99 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Didn't know there was a player called Xai in barcelona
Duces14 (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Xavi**
Oddshot (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
Xavi doesn't play like him. Zidane had far far far more flair on the pitch than him. I personally don't think there is a player that plays like him now, he was unique
Cjnovo15 (Rangers) 3 years ago
One person that comes to mind is the german bastian schweinsteiger he is the midfield general like zidane used to be
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
I kinda think Schweinsteiger plays nothing like Zidane.... Zidane is much more graceful caressing the ball
Ya I agree with juno on that =(

Basti is great at holding onto the ball and distributing but when it comes to gracefulness lol not his forte
Godspeed64 (Juventus) 3 years ago
Pirlo. Still playing and still full of class.
Honestly have not someone better than him in the game.

Zidane is a different player from Pirlo, both equal in class just slightly different mould
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
For me the most similar player so far has got to be Iniesta. They both share very similar roles and I believe think very similar.

Zidane's movement and Iniesta's movement is pretty similar and they can always seem to find space where it seems there is none. They both also possess some supernatural dribbling ability not to mention both possess pinpoint passing.

Zidane though is the better player as he better at creating his own goal opportunities and most importantly that leadership quality of his
Atnighthawk (AFC Telford United) 2 years ago
Iniesta is much better at dribbling than Zidane was in close quarters, no offence but Zidane would never get through those tight pockets iniesta drifts through. Zidane secret to his dribbling was he shielded the ball very well and made getting space simple so he could pass it off to others or calm down the situation on the pitch by setting the tempo when required by holding onto the ball for a bit longer but not losing it. I can't actually think of a player like Zidane at present. Gourcuff plays like him, but imo nowhere near the same level or consistently enough
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Gourcuff.... Although not as good, of course
Hmmm i've never really watched him play, I shall since this is the second time his names come up
HOLY gourcuff! I think we got a winner! I just finished watching just about every youtube video I could find on the guy.... Real class player. He has a very similar style of play to zidane
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Gourcoff plays like him alot, but he is terrible at Lyon. Clement Grenier ftw
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Don't know what happened to him, he was great at Bordeaux
Too much pressure to perform?
Cloudst 3 years ago
No not that he's just a lazy player. Talent is there he just doesn't seem motivated at times

Grenier is much better than him in that regard
Balotelli45 (Manchester City) 3 years ago
Gourcuff is nothing, had maybe one good season in his life
Cloudst 3 years ago
2 seasons
Atnighthawk (AFC Telford United) 2 years ago
Gourcuff would be my answer, not as good or as consistent at present. But Zidane didn't really start doing great things until about 24/25 years old when he seemed to get a lot more commanding and stronger on the ball. His performances for his last two seasons at Bordeaux were why Juventus came in for him until then he was just developing as a player
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 3 years ago
The first person that comes to my mind is Xavi. But Xavi lacks the ball skills even though Xavi holds and guards the ball as well as Zidane did and also passes with the same accuracy. The other person in midfield would be Iniesta but Iniesta lacks the style that Zidane possessed. Mesut Ozil has all the above characteristics but lacks style as well. Gourcuff used to play much better a couple of seasons ago but he has somehow deteriorated now. Gourcuff was supposed to be the next Zidane but I'm not convinced.

Finally, I come to Eden Hazard. I think he is the closest to Zidane even though he is quite young and has to prove a lot. He has exceptional ball skills, holds the ball extremely well and is very creative with his passing. He, for me, is definitely the next Zidane which is why he is the top transfer target for all the big spending clubs for next summer. He will be definitely be transferred to Chelsea, Madrid or City by next summer for at least 20-30 million pounds if not more. I would love it if he came to Barca but I don't think Barca needs someone like him for now.

Anyway, I'm done with my rant!
The asking price is 40m. Probably 80m to arsenal cause of PCY
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Oh ya, watch Hazard play here:    

I think Hazard is pure class but his style of play is too eratic. He relies alot on speed and agility. He's more like Cristiano Ronaldo then ZZ
Adenn (Bayern München) 3 years ago
When it comes to grace and elegance of zidane, there is only two players I can think of that have that x factor. RVP and dimtar berbatov, especially berbatov, I know the guy is lazy and infective nowadays but when you are talking about touch he rivals zidane and ronaldinho for me. I have never seen football being played so cool and calm, its poetry in motion. You have to see what berbetov can do especially in his levrkusen and spurs days
Thank you! Exactly what I meant. I was trying to find the word for it. "elegance" hits it right on the dot.

Video of some skills at Mancester. The mans got great vision too

Totaldribble 3 years ago
When you compare players like Berbatov and Dzeko to Zidane the only similarly I can see is skill on the ball when slow. These guys have no pace and Dzeko has the touch of a rapist!
Gourcuff but we won't see until he leave Ligue 1, so my shout is with Ozil
Just like adenn has said underneath this is a debate on who most resembles Zidane who plays most like him. Who possesses his elegance, and his sway with a ball.... His ability to make thing look so easy.

Zidane himself was not a fast player. He relied on his abilty to read situations and completely shut down an opponent by moving the ball about 2 feet in a certain direction lol. Ozil definatly has the same vision and confidence but the way he performs moves his body and gets around with the ball is not comparable to Zidane.... I guess you can say a player must look like an ice cold serial killer that is doing ballet with a soccer ball and no one can touch him lol
Total. I think the debate is about resemble. The way he moves and the touch no one is comparing zidane to anyone as a overall player. Yes ozil is a great midfield player but does he posses the swager, the touch, the elagance of a berbatov, no way mate, no way. But I agree if you had to choose a player who could a game obviously ozil
I WAS going TO embed THIS video BUT I don't KNOW HOW .Maybe georgio since WE BOTH agree about THE touch OF berbie AND WE BOTH bayern FANS maybe YOU could HELP.
Here IS THE LINK

Manchester united dosent usually waste talent.... But man what a talent that has been wasted by them this time....

And uh.... Adenn change my name to Georgio please lol
Great video
I have changed it, sorry mate. Didn't realise, lol
Fichado9 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yoan Gourcuff.    
Balotelli45 (Manchester City) 3 years ago
What a joke, Gourcuff is useless since two seasons and his form is still falling, faster then the rate of the €uro
The question was WHO HAS A similar playing style! Not who is close to him, who dribbles and moves like him
Gourcuff is someone that copied zidane stlye inch by inch and still doesn't look as elegant as zidane. Elagance and grace is something that your are born with like berbatov

Kick4Life - changing lives through football