Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Is Best Attacking Full Back At The Moment ? Maicon ? Dani Alves ? Asheley Cole ? Marcelo ? Gareth Bale ?
Mumbai (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Who do you think is best attacking full back now? Defender who is very offensive - he could be left back or right back.

Maicon?
Inter Milan / Brazil :
Defensively solid; speed; great crosses; mentally strong.

Dani Alves?
Barcelona / Brazil
Great speed; intelligent run; defensively good; takes great free kicks; dangerous crosses; penetrate in the box of the enemies

Asheley Cole?
Chelsea/England
Speed; desire to score; penetrate in the box of the enemies, defensively good

Marcelo?
Real Madrid / Brazil
Speed; great team player; great dribbling; dangerous passes; under estimated; defensively good

Gareth Bale?
Tottenhum Hotspur / Walse
Young; super fast; great crosses; desire to score; defensively good; penetrate in the box of the enemies.

Or anyone I am missing?

My vote at this point is for:
Gareth Bale and Marceli - tie
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Felipe Luis of Athletico Madrid, atleast I rate him very highly
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Also forgot Phillip Lahm, he is one of the best. Consistent, good passer and excellent defender and a leader (as he proved in the world cup)
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
Bale right now.... No contest...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yeaaahhh Bale. Oddly, the best left back in the world has humiliated the best right back numerous times of the course of 2 games. He scored the same way three times on him. He has just stunted Maicon. One of Spurs players said they were actually afraid of him....

It's good they just signed him on another 4 years a while back. He would probably be best at Spurs no matter what, as they have a "throw it all at the goal" style. But it's exciting to see a player like this. I hope he doesn't transfer any time soon, but I know he's on every bodies shopping list now....
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Right, I rather see him playing in the whites of spurs than elsewhere. He's doing great now because Harry knew how to utilise him...
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
I believe we could add Ivanovic to this list as well, he's been outstanding past two seasons in Chelsea
Darkinja (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Gareth Bale. Easy
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
If I can select 4 players who are reaching the same level each in their own way I'd say :    Marcelo, Bale, Ramos and Alves
Bladecatcher (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Maicon, defensivley good? I'm sorry but i've never seen him do anything good defencivley. I hate to say it but I think Ashley Cole is the best full back in the world. He may be a twat but he's great at defending and attacking. Plus Bale's is a winger now. He was bad at defending so he plays on the wing
Sergio Ramos  Real Madrid / Spain  Though world cup winner. I would n't say he has shown impact as the guys above have shown individually
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
No mention of evra? , I find that strange, I know he's not in tip top form at the moment, but he's as good as whats mentioned above
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I agree with Evra, but I don't think Evra or any of the others above are nearly as irreplaceable to their team as Bale is. Bale has the ability to turn a game on its head in 5 minutes, as we saw haha
Evra is good at defense; but I don't remember when the last time Evra supplied for the goal or scored one or even was part of threatening attack .... Also we are talking about best of the lot.

Well, Bale so far got advantage of dark horse.... I. E. Very few regarded him dangerous (I am sure lot of us were surprised by hatrick)but last 2 seasons are showing what he is capable of and so there would be definite plan against him by opposition
No offense for Evra but Tony you are hard core Man UTD fan!
Ltm017 3 years ago
Well of course Evra is more defence minded than the rest of them.... Can't really talk about both with all of them
Exactly LTM, I never said evra WAS the best mumbai, but he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the others.
You did ask in your post did you miss anyone out, so I reminded you, only for you to dismiss it.... Lol
Your a hardcore chelsea fan mumbai, and you have ashley cole in there, who I think evra is every bit as good as.  Its all about opinions mate.
Yup tony. Its all about opinions
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ramos is awesome, but he has been on the back of many blunders
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Mumbai you need to take some more looks at Evra. He really is a very polished and classy attacking fullback. It goes without saying that playing for SAF he has to have regard for his defensive duties. You should also remember that he's in a 4-4-2 system so there is a genuine wide player in front of him as a result he is less likely than many of the others to go bombing down the touch line - its probably because you are looking for this that you are under-rating him!? Evra's control, first touch, skills on the ball, passing, creativity in attack and link up play (especially with Giggs) are all really very good. In addition, he does overlap runs as well as coming inside and delivers a good final ball. Forget the bombing down the line a take a new look! Evra is way, way up there!
Yup I see, he has been revelation - but still not seen him as threat on attack or scoring goal. Potential is huge - between sometimes you might think Evra is doing great but its actually Nani (jk -they look like twins)
Filsuf (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Bale is left midfielder.    Sergio ramos is the best    *Edited to remove language by footytube staff
?
Actually Filsuf, Bale is a LM and a LB. Lately Spurs have been utilizing him as an LB since they're fairly weak back there. Perhaps you should do some research before you go around calling people names
Filsuf (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Wrong. He WAS an LB. He's been playing LM this entire season. Just like you don't consider thierry henry a left midfielder since he's switched to forward since he came to arsenal. Up your{nose you have some gunk, might want to get a tissue.... }.

-Edited by the king of the wolves for niceness...
Brittyboy2 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
En facto filsuf, he's made 4 appearances at left back this season for tottenham and he's played there in all 3 of his appearances for wales this year, that's enough to still consider him at least a lb/lm, you can pay me for your education later
Google search ftw?
You do your research mr. Hi!. And there is no place for rudeness in footytube. Appearently you think you know more than people; check yourself
Guys, please.... FIFA 10 says he's a LB first, so it MUST be true lol....

But if you click through his profile it also shows he can play LM, LWB, LB, etc.... You can't find a website that says he is one or the other.... All you will see is left winger, which is kind of a universal. Spurs considers him both, he himself considers him both, HE'S BOTH!
Juveseria (Juventus) 3 years ago
At the moment Cole due to his consistancy but i'd also throw in bastos
Ltm017 3 years ago
Okay if you want to say at the moment then you can say Bale.... Overall? I don't think so. And Sergio Ramas does deserve to be up there with the rest of them.... What have you been watching.

Alves
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
At the moment I'm going for both Bale and Alves. Last year was clear as daylight that Maicon was the best full back, hell, even the best overall defender IMO. But he was injured in the summer and lacks fitness now.

Alves on the other hand is doing incredibly well for Brazil (2 sweet goals in the last 2 games, great runs, great work rate and defensively very solid) and Barcelona. And Bale, well, his stats speak for themselves right now.

I have always loved Ashley Cole's ability too, but it's his consistent good performances that make him great. He hasn't really got spells of awesomeness like Alves or now Bale do
Yup, I would say same. So now after this big match for Bale against Inter. Teams will try to be more prepared. For example teams have plans against Alves or Maicon or Cole - to control them. Eventually tis shoud be coming against Bale. But oh boy he got some good speed. If you will recount the stats of last 2 seasons I think he is fastest player on football field not walcott
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Yeah, the fact Bale isn't as well known as other star defenders made it easier for him for sure. Doesn't take away he scored a hat-trick against the leading European Champions though.

However, I really doubt Bale would run 100m faster than Walcott, who could've chosen the path of a professional 100m athlete too. His top speed on the pitch, running with the ball, is 36. 4kmph and we all know he accelerates like a lightening bolt. The same can be said about a few others (Lennon, Agbonlahor, ....) you might not even think about because they're not as gifted in the footballing part of the game and because they don't get as much media attention.

Bale sure is fast, but not faster than other already established classy full backs like Alves, Maicon or Cole
Well, so far this guy is making wave. I don't know how long Spurs can keep him
As much as I hate to admit it. Bale is also one of my favorite players to watch. He attacks well and still tracks back. Lots of effort and skill is in his play
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I will have to consider bale as a mid than defender. He's a better mid that's why he's been playing in that position. And you forgot lahm. Another great fullback.

If I was to make an all-star team.... My two full backs would be maicon on the right and cole on the left
Natasha9211 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Dani Alves and Ashely Cole according to me m8s but if I asked to choose bw them I definitely go for Ashely Cole gr8 player of all times.Any how I m playing a football quiz game

Link: www.bigmatchonline.com/
I want someone with up to date knowledge of football to to start a friends league! So if anyone has knowledge of football join me We can get a good crew going to start our own Friends League in the game!
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Forgot about Cole, he's great too!
Bluezombi (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Dani Alves for sure. He has been on fire and I don't see anyone as good as him. Maicon and Cole are good no doubt about it, they have been consistent and play great but I don't think they are better than Dani Alves
Ashley cole. Great in the air, good control and always plays good with his club mates
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Ashley Cole gets forward better than anyone at the moment. He is the best for me right now. But all of them are up there, and I have to add Evra to your list he's one of the best
Bale could be name as a top left mid at the moment. Not a left back. He scored 3 against inter and just had 2 assists today
Bale has to be now. He's too unsuppressible. Maicon couldn't shut him down once. He was a misery to him. Cole is great, but he will always only be a fullback. Bale could technically be great anywhere on the field, or at least more towards the left side. If Spurs were lacking in strikers or just felt angry with the world, they could put Bale in the front for kicks, and he would probably provide extra anguish to whoever he went against.

I don't think he's too far away from being a great all-arounder. Goal scorer, creation-maker, speedy on the wing, great at crossing, great in defence.... Who compares right now?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Bale is a midfielder
Can't really say that he's an all-around player. Bale is only a left mid and left back. Milner is more of an all around player than bale. Milner can player outside mid, outside backs, and center mid
In 2-5 years I say rafael and fabio will be the best but for now its evra, cole and dani alves
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Never watch Fabio in action before...
I heard before the transfers that fabio was the better player. You never know both could live up to it
Even though he is playing more as a winger these days, Bale started as a left back (I got him in my Dreamfooty line up), so he has to be the best full back at the moment! Just ask Maicon, he knows it...
Am not sure if you know this but Benoît Assou-Ekotto is who has been playing at left back all season
I'm aware of that, what I meant was his natural position. He played as a left back last season, but this season proved as a great midfielder as well.
Full back position originated from 5-3-2 formation anyway, so in order to play full back player has to be able to play left back and left midfielder (which are natural positions in 4-4-2 system), and I believe there is no player at the moment who could deal with that task better than Bale...
So I guess we judge who's the best outside back by the way they attack? I still say bale is a left mid with less defensive responsibility.
Put bale in left back and maicon as a attacking mid and maicon could make bale look bad a little here and there "maybe". Put bale as a left mid and maicon as a outside back and bale can make maicon look pretty back like today and last time they played each other. That is b/c bale is a good left mid
So I guess we'll just forget that up to this season he played as a left back, successfully as well. I'm saying that, given his abilities, he should be considered as a full back, although we are both agreeing that he is playing left mid at the moment

Kick4Life - changing lives through football