Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Has Justified Their Price Tag?!
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Which players out there do you think have come close to justifying their huge price tags and why?

See Ronaldo-80m Is their really anything he can do to justify that kind of money apart from bringing world peace!

W. Rooney-25. 6m Still a huge amount of money and has he done enough to say it was money well spent, remember his off field antics prostitutes, holding the club to ransom!

David Villa-40m Great striker and I'm a big fan but is someone who is nearly 30 worth 40m Euros?

Anyway you get the idea, who do you think has been worth the crazy money the clubs spend on them?!
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Early days yet but Suarez looks quite a bargain at $25m. Carroll at $35m, I'm not so sure yet. Was happy he won his very first header though, one of the things he is there to do
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Unfortunately a month of good performances does not justify 25 million. He does look a great capture, I think he will do wonderful things for Liverpool
53 league goals in 55 games for ronaldo, and many more to come. A total of 70 goals in 75 games for madrid with 19 assist, he more than seems worth it to me, compared to other high priced players like ibra, torres, kaka.
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Ronaldo's deffo worth it, aside from the on pitch performances, the amount of money that player that he makes madrid off merchandise sales and image rights is massive
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
All these big names and price tags, and I think the best bit of business was charlie adam to blackpool, not only is he worth the price tag, he was a bargain.
I'm not sure how much they paid for him, but whatever it was, it was cheap, really cheap, and they stand to make a pretty penny in the summer.
So I reckon the charlie adam deal has to be up there with the best
Charlie Adam left Rangers for a measly £500k, absolutely nothing in the market these days, Rangers have a sell on clause though so if and when he gets sold Rangers will get a bit of money back for him!
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Proves my point on value for money
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Mesut Ozil was a bargain especially considering how well he did during the World Cup.
If he was put back onto the market he could fetch an easy 40m.

Raul Meireles is another name that has really done well this season. I believe he was signed for under 15m as well.

Javi Hernandez is definitely worth the 7m Euros that he was signed for as I think he can be valued at around 25 right now

Van der Vaart was also a steal of a deal and has been one of the best Dutchman this season.

Shinji Kagawa should be on the very top of this list because of how phenomenal he has been this season. If I read correctly he was signed for 350000 Euros!

Lewis Holtby the English-German started the season off as a stand out talent but has been silenced by Borrussia Dortmund as of late but his initial transfer was 100000 Euros
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Javier Herndandez looks like the absolute best deal to me. 7m for someone younger/better than Torres. It is going to be fun watching this kid progress
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Lmfao, why is everyone always compared to Torres ffs. It's not his fault Roman paid 50m for him, and even then I don't think Hernandez is better. Obviously you will think I am saying this because I am a Chelsea fan; but no lol (I would have said the same, if he was still at Pool). Hernandez is a good player and a brilliant purchase by Utd, but he is more or less like a poacher - in fact most of his goals have come from tap-ins and headers. Torres is a better all around player imo. This is probably not the best time to defend Torres though, as he is not playing well.... But still, I don't think Hernandez is better, probably in the future
I think Kagawa is probably the best deal out of all of them. His current price is easily around 15m.... That's 40 times the amount that they paid for him
Torres has been absolute rubbish for the last 2 seasons. And by rubbish I mean total crap. He should probably retire. You might think I'm saying this because he joined Chelsea () but he was just as much crap at liverpool
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Its people like you ^^ I want torres to score, just to shut yous up
Lol are you a Torres hater or something? He's been playing well even if he hasn't gotten on the scoresheet yet
David luiz just joined but he is already beginning to slowly justify his price tag
Beat me to it, 25 mil or so for a CB and people laugh, yet he he recievs Motm aganst Fulham and Man Utd? He is the bright future
As Somere said up there, a month of good performances isn't enough to justify a price tag. If he helps Chelsea secure a champions league spot though.... That is another story
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
David Luiz is very, very close to justifying his price tag imo. He has already put in 2 World class performances, scored a sensational goal against the league leaders and I have never seen a defender make such a quick impact on a new team like he has. Excellent buy, and if he can just calm down like Carlo said he would - he might easily be the best purchase Roman ever made!
But the important thing is that he continues his good form and plays consistently for most of our games
So perez would rather CR7 than to 10 small islands? Lol, 50 goals in 51 games. I think Ozil has justified his tag aswell
Ozil didn't have a mega price tag(compared to CR7) but he has done a great job and has impressed me since joining los blancos. He never looked back after the world cup and has been putting in some very solid performances for them
He's been RM's most consistent and best player of the season, and I know he didn't have a mega tag, nut he has justified and then some
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Well, just for the record, they perform vastly different roles in the team. Ronaldo and Ozil are goal makers, but in terms of speed and ability, Ronaldo is better. He is probably better than any of our other strikers anyway - Benzema, Higuain. Which reminds me, Benzema appears to be beginning to repay his hefty 35m Euros, but he's not there yet. Ronaldo (incidentally our top scorer) by contrast, settled in less than a season. Real can release any player (ranging from Kaka, Benzema, Higuain to Marcelo or just about every other player), just not Ronaldo for me
I also would like to mention Giovinco's (Parma) signing from Juve. He has been great this season and Juve are surely missing him
Mumbai (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Ozil, Suarez, Hernandez, Charlie Adam, Van der vaart
Vika09 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Van Der Vaart. 7 Million for a world class midfielder who has definitely had a positive effect on an inexperience champions league team? Completely worth it.

Carvalho: Old, but at another 7 million is an incredible signing.

Van der vaart was 7 million?    Damn that's a great deal
Players I think have justified their hefty price tag are;

Vidic, great defender an absolute rock for Man you, and only cost them £7m, he would easily triple that these days, so he was well worth the money!

Another Man UTD player is Van der Saar, a measly £2m he cost them 6 years ago, he's certainly repaid them with many many top class displays!

Arteta cost Everton £2M, not much for a classy midfielder, he's worth far more than that now, also from Everton Tim Cahill, was a steal at £1. 5m, you just don't get players like him as cheap as that anymore!

Ahh Moyes, What a manager, amazing to what he has done with everton, with the minimal trasnfers funds he had, Imagine him at a big club! He'd surley flourish, with 12 mil he can make a giant topplers team, and a decent youth system, imagine if it were Man utd/chelsea!
If everton had more transfer funds they moyes could actually turn them int a team fighting for Europe
Well it depends on what you mean by justifying their price tag. Guys like CR7 have repaid their clubs both financially and on the pitch. Torres has scored a single goal yet it is predicted he will pay chelsea back in the next few years with the money he is earning the club through shirt sales and other merchandise sales not to mention sponsorhip deals and image rights
By their performances on the pitch where they get to pay back the faith in them with great performances, selling shirts and all the other stuff is out of their control that's marketing!
What about tevez? City paid a lot of money to sign him and he's been their main man since. He was their top scorer last year and looks like he might even win the golden boot this year if he can outscore berbatov
Yeah I think if you can be consistent over a few seasons then you make the money the club spent on you worthwhile, its having one good season then getting the big money move then being non-existent after that!
With the hard work Tevez put's in your always going to get your moneys worth!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I don't think that the case of [C.] Ronaldo is similar to the others.

By paying 80 millions, Real were not just buying a player; they were making a statement of intent. They were aiming to make the world of football turn their heads towards Madrid and this is not paid back just with the performance in the pitch, but with an entire new business climate, advertisement deals, parallel money affairs of various kinds. I am sure that there was much more to it than it meets the eye
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ronaldo  Van Der Vaart  
Seamus coleman everton paid 150k for him. Easilly worth 12-15 now
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Its hard to justify anything in the transfer market now. You have to gauge the price tag against the resources available to the purchasing club and then only assess the real impact of the signing. It's a bloated market at the moment and often people confuse 'team building' with simply transfer signings

Kick4Life - changing lives through football