Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Do You Support In Hosting The World Cup
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
They are fast approaching (2018 and 2022 World Cup). Currently bidders from Quatar, USA, Japan and South Korea along with Australia make up the candidates for 2022 selection. While Belgium and Netherlands, England, Russia and Portugal and Spain make up 2018 bidders.

Who do you want to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Give reasons including stadiums, landscape, landmarks and whatever reason justifies your country of support.

In terms of 2018 I have no prejudice, all though it would be nice to see England host the Cup. They would have no problems with stadiums or with attracting crowds to games.

For the 2022 World Cup I passionately support Australia. They have great infrastructure already inplace with plans to build a couple of extra stdaiums to satisfy seating.

Our tourist attractions are second to none with landmarks on bothe the east and west coasts. The country I svery friendly and passionately supports football.

It would be a great specatacle to see an Aussie World Cup.

This is a video supporting Australia's bid

What are your thoughts?
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
England I have to go for, haven't won it since 1966 and with the lame performances maybe if we bring football back home England will have a better chance. Also England has some of the best football stadiums in the world Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, Old Trafford ect. Plus the final to be hosted in the new Wembley.... Oh and the possibility of using the Olympic stadium which will be used in the Olympics could be considered as another venue. USA have now damaged their image with the news of them trying to buy vote, tut tut
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
England for 2018 for a million of reasons. Fantastic fans, great atmosphere, great stadia etc. With all the attention that EPL has been getting in the recent years, England seem the natural venue for the world football to convene.

Funnily enough, most of the world stars are already there. All you need is for the rest of the teams to join them there.

Note: The other choice that would console me a little bit would be Netherland, a small nation but with a great heart of football.

Here I am obviously biased. I want the World Cup to come back in 2022. We have great conditions for the visiting teams, great stadia and the people here are amazing. You don't need to bring your fans here, we have them all: Koreans, Japanese, English, Irish, Italians, Mexicans, Brazilians, you name it. Full stadiums are promised to every match, even if US are eliminated early (certainly not in our plans.)

Consolation choice: Australia. That country deserve it and this will not be called a "world" cup until the finals go there also.

Future important choices: Russia, India, China and one of the Muslim countries (Turkey?). My only reason of mentioning these countries is my desire to see football become a truly global unifier
Ltm017 4 years ago
Oh I agree.... Love to see it somewhere different.... Especially not somewhere people would automatically think of
Lytsdb (Barcelona) 4 years ago
My choice: 2018 => spain and 2022 => USA!
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Canada! Hahah oh lord sorry I just had to say it...
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
Actually I Think if canada struck a deal with the USA to jointly host the cup it might make they're bid a bit more appealing
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
That's like saying Northern Ireland and are. Oh. I should join host cause they are close. I'm a different black and white jersey than you brother LOL
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I'm of course hoping the 2018 bid will go to Belgium and Holland. But I fear the FIFA have far too high standards in mind and that the economic aspect will turn out to be a humongous loss. Still, would be awesome to go to a WC game in my own country
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'd like to see 2018 world cup in england
So much history there and great atmosphere

For 2022, I'm also biased for the USA, but not without reason.
We have had the record for revenue in the 1994 world cup, we are among the top world cup ticket purchasing countries, and as a country with many immigrants and a border relationship with mexico, all countries could be easily represented. Plus, the facilities are great.

But another part of me wants to see it in two new countries. Good future choices would be netherlands/belgium, russia, australia, and a middle eastern country like marcinny said.

Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
I just received an e-mail from Landon Donovan. Not a personal e-mail of course. Lol. It is one of those mass e-mails of the USA bid for the world cup.

It says:

--

In just two days we'll find out if the United States will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup™.

Are you as excited as I am?

Right now I'm in Zurich -- where FIFA's announcement will take place -- to show my support for the Bid on decision day. But I'm just one of more than a million Bid supporters who have shown the world how passionate and intense you.S. Soccer fans are.

Together we've made a statement over the past months: The Game Is In US. Now it's time to come together for a final show of strength.

This Thursday, join fans around the country and wear your favorite soccer gear. Like these fans (face paint optional):

Game is in US

Also be sure to encourage all your friends to join you -- you can spread the word through email, Facebook, and Twitter.

Then on Thursday, snap a photo of yourself taking part in this show of strength and send it to us here:

Link: gousabid.com/showofstrength

Thanks so much for all your support. It's been amazing to be part of this Bid with you.

-- Landon Donovan

P.S. You can watch FIFA's announcement live on Thursday at 10:00 a.M. (EST) on Fox Soccer Channel, ESPN, Univision, ESPN Deportes, CNN International and fifa.Com
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Many great bids for the 2018 World Cup. My brother was saying that when he was in South Africa for 2010 there was a lot of people worrying about the hooliganism in England and that it would be a disaster there, but hey football is all about passion right? Whether those opinions are ill founded or not I don't know I think it would be awesome in England, but all the others sound great as well, so I really have no preference there.

2022 Please Please come to the States haha. It would be so amazing, then football may really take off here, it has been building momentum for a long time now and that may just be the spark for it to blow up. There is so much passion here, in the people who love and believe in the game, all the different ethnicity it's beautiful. It would be awesome to have in the US. If not, Australia or Qatar would be my vote, neither have hosted it before. Would really love it to be in the states, but if it's not, it will be good for the game to have a WC where it has never taken place. So if it doesn't work out that's alright, it will be great wherever it is
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The world cup was just held in south africa the highest rape, gang related murders and car jacking crimes on earth. A bit of fighting in England doesn't compare lol
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Touchez Rob12
4 years ago
Word "on the street" is that Qatar is pretty much a done deal for 2022
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Man you surely got some underworld links! Lol
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 4 years ago
How did you find that out? LOL
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Why should Spain get it when there probably using the money the EU gave them to bail them out of going bankrupt. They can't afford to run there country let alone a world cup.

Plus England need it to have any chance of winning th world cup lol
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Spain had it in 82.... Lol, no chance, only 28 yrs ago, england last had it 44yrs back.
Russias a massive country, and logistically would be a nightmare for travel for teams and fans alike, I think, and it would not be bringing the world cup to the russian people if they base all the games in and around moscow.
England or holland for me
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 4 years ago
Call me crazy but I kinda want to see WC 2022 in Quatar. It's fairly close to Europe, so we can expect full stadiums and I think it would be such a surreal experience to go watch the world cup in the desert, that would really justify the name world cup. The only problem is the insane heat over there but let's give those crazy sheiks some time, I'm sure they'll figure something out
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
No thank you. I would rather stay out of the 100 degree summer heat. But you're right, they'll probably build indoor stadiums-fully air conditioned. Haha
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 4 years ago
I was thinking something along those lines
Its ok them saying they are going to build state of the art open stadiums with air conditioning, but you probably won't have that luxury when fans are travelling around between games etc;, I don't see any sense in holding a world cup somewhere like qatar, I have nothing against teams or people from the middle east, its just not the right conditions for football, wheres next.... Antartica?
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I want the 2018 one in the Netherlands, so my transport cost will be minimum. I agree with Markodon's reasoning about the WC 2022
4 years ago
England's World Cup 2018 bid team has been "assured that it's in the bag, " by Fifa Vice President Jack Warner's aides
Only about 15 minutes to the big decision....come on england>>>>>>
Ooohhhhh, theres gonna' be a delay, maybe half an hour or so, although one of the delegates said everything is running on time
4 years ago
England out in the first round of voting!
They say england only got two votes, that IS a disgrace, well played becks, cameron and willy, I thought they were brilliant in their bid, I guess blatters off wills wedding list

Kick4Life - changing lives through football