Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Can Stop Them
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ever since 2008 Spain has taken over the world. In 2008 they won the Euro. Then the next year Barcelona won the Champions League. Then the following year Atletico won the Europa League and Spain won the World Cup. And now this year Barca won the Champions League and the U21 team has won the Euro U21. And they do not look like their going to stop their dominance. So my question is who can stop them?
PaoloG (Sevilla) 3 years ago
Spain are in their ascendancy right now, but they're still mortal. Inter stopped Barça last year; Team USA stopped the Spanish internationals at the Confederations Cup in 2009; Real Madrid haven't quite got it into gear, despite outspending every other soccer team in existence. Their apex will come to be
Justafootyfan (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Real Madrid are quite in gear it's just that Barcelona is that much better, ManU would've lost to RM in the UCL as well...
Peteko 3 years ago
Club-wise the answer is in the Premier League.

As a nation, I wonder whether they will always have an edge over the Dutch and the Germans. However, they would be vulnerable in front of a true revival of France or Italy.

I have to admit that this is some kind of a golden generation for them and we may as well have to wait them out in Europe. Their back to back triumphs in 2008 and 2010 showed that they are not just a blip in the radar. Now 2012 and 2014 will show whether this really is the Spanish Era.

I would not read much into the U21 success as it rarely means anything for the future. Maybe someone could look into this, but I doubt it is a crystal ball
Madrid9 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Real Madrid would be the best to stop them but out of Spain I would say arsenal look the most likely got unlucky in the champs league against barca. Brazil would be the most likely in the would cup and in Europe it would be Portugal the favorites, beat them 4-0 in a friendly then Germany and France the other contenders if England get there squad together, them too but that looks unlikely
Vengaboy (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Arsenal are a team in crisis, they would be lucky to even hold their own against big teams in England. They need to change their whole defence and they are going to loose either Fabregas or Nasri who are their best and probably most important players...
As far as national teams go, Spain have already reached their apex. There are no real replacements to Xavi and Iniesta who are in their prime nor are there any real replacements for Torres and David Villa who seem to be on the decline. The Netherlands and Germany are my best bet for Euro 2012 but if Portugal would step up they would also have a good shot. Barcelona on the other hand are without a doubt the best football team of our generation and it will be hard for any team to beat them when they are at their best. That being said, Real Madrid are the best bet for defeating them and outside of Spain Manchester United are the only team that have enough quality, endurance, tactic and team spirit to beat them
You really think that Germany and Holland can stop the Spanish national team. And to be honest I would not look much into Portugal. I still am not convinced by them
They reason why I singled out Holland and Germany from the other European teams is their team play, organization and mental strength. Other teams such as England, France and Italy have plenty of talent but are severely lacking in these three things, which I think are essential for underdog teams to beat a champion (every ones an underdog compared to the Spanish team). I'm also counting on the fact that Spain are missing a prolific striker in good form and any team with a solid back four and good defensive mid-fielders like Holland will (and have in the world cup) make it hard for Spain to capitalise on their possession football. Your def right about portugal though
I agree with you on the Germany and Holland thing. I was going to write that as well. With Germany they have a solid and effective back four. And they have the pace and players to hurt Spain on the counter attack. And Holland have kinda ditched their sexy approach to the game and gone for the more effective part of the game which has done them pretty well. All they need now is a goal scorer. And I do not believe huunterlaar is the man,
GMIKE (Chelsea) 3 years ago
National level you have to feel that Brazil can always present a strong challenge. Spain's national team and Barcelona have very similar tactics on and off the ball. Both control the pace of play, look for small intricate passes, have players always moving off the ball and continuously pressure the opposition whenever they loose the ball. I felt that Germany played very sheepishly in the semi final allowing Spain to dominate the game. The Germans had nothing to loose. A side filled with quality, strength and endurance. You see teams always adjust their style of play for Spain/Barca. In my opinion you have to fight fire with fire. You must be very aggressive and offensive minded. Mourinho and Inter did beat Barca with solid D and counter attacks. However, we know Mourinho instills dirty tactics. Club level I'm going to be bias and say Chelsea. Blues with a 100% fit team with unity and companionship can do it as long as Drogba is still the squad. Barca is vulnerable to massive strikers
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
With the financial fair play coming in I think the answer will be FFP and German teams which are financially the best teams in Europe
Lawrence83 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Before all of y'all rain down comments on my comment, I just wanna point out a simple and obvious fact. The Spanish National team has always been label as "soft" and choker. And the truth is even this amazing Spanish team doesn't really have any single bit of difference from all the previous spanish teams. Just go back 6 - 10 years ago before the see Ronaldo, Messi and Ronanldino era, players actually go down from tackles instead of diving. I'm not here to single out Spaniard are the only ones that's doing it, fact is virtually everyone is doing it as well, but I do think the Spaniard are benefitting from it more than the others. I mean it's almost impossible to tackle someone without some sorta body contact. Until the game of soccer is allow to play the way it's suppose to. Otherwise it's just another form of male entertainment
Fifa alongside Barcelona and the Spanish national team are gradually turning football into a non contact sport.... Really frustrating
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Yet the most publicized diving is from English teams?

Anyways when you say that the Spaniards benefit from it most. Well that is hard to argue against when other teams haven't been able to win anything.

Spain wins because they play football well. When they make passes they make the smart pass, you can argue that they play with lower risk than other players. Just because they put themselves in positions where they don't have to physically fight for the ball shouldn't take away from anything.

Spain is a small team and they have a play style which suits them.

Anyways I don't know what you're watching but Messi is still playing and doesn't dive, and if you watch any of the Barcelona games other than the El Clasico circus none of the other players do either. Now we can talk about Madrid and talk about their players. Di Maria? Ronaldo? Marcelo? Just because you stomp on players when they are down doesn't mean you are playing a contact sport.

By the way, the rule is that it is a foul if you don't get the ball. You're argument is just terrible
So in your words, Sir, every tiny little body contact without touching the ball is consider a foul? If that's so true then Peter Crouch could've, should've, would've win every header in the game, since by laws of physic, he's always going to be very first person contracting the ball and any contact afterwards should've been consider as "foul"? DId I disagree with Di Maria, Ronaldo and Marcelo are divers? There's divers and then there's actors, and we all know who the actors are
Kiki911 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
For National I think its France and Germany, plus don't forget some african teams are forming really nicely like Ivory Cost, Nigeria and Ghana
And for Clubs its Chelsea.... Chelsea will destroy Barcelona and AC Milan-they are like on a quest to find themselves
Justafootyfan (Barcelona) 3 years ago
When will Chelsea destroy Barca? 2 years ago?
Well Kiki911 you really think Chelsea can stop them? Or your jst kidding urself? Bcuz I disagree on that. Your team is getting older and slower. While Barcas team is the complete opposite of that. You have lost your defensive dicipline which helped you to stop them in 09
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Germany, the bundesliga is rising and will soon be the best league in the world, this coming from an epl fan. I see Borrusia Dortmund in the semis. The german youth system is great and Joachim Loew is brilliant at raising youth and at tactics. He is the man! Holland hopefully have got a decent chance, the youth is as always amazing. But Club wise, we need some Arabs and Russians in their asap, haha
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
Spain is in it's "Golden Age" right now. Every team has it's era where it is considered Unstoppable or the best. Spain is flowing with talent at the moment. If there's any team(s) that can beat them or come close its Germany and Holland. Germany is always strong & Spain has always struggled to beat them. Beating them twice in Euro & World cup 1-0 shows that the Germans are always a challenge. The Dutch on the other hand are probably dying for revenge after last years world cup. If Sneijder plays like he played at the world cup and euro 2008 & if Van der vaart, Robben & Van Persie perform like they do at club level Spain will have a run for their title. Atleast in Europe. Never count out Brazil & Argentina
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
In all honesty, probably nobody atm. But Holland came dam close, losing by the smallest margin in an extremely close final, that game could have gone either way so they are far from unbeatable
Holland was never close, Holland was lucky they didn't have 3 sent offs in the 1st half
Yeah they were. Remember Robben's two one on one's I called that pretty close
You mean after De Jong, Van Bommel and Johnny Heitinga manage to stay on the pitch after committing 90 fouls
Holland should have been down to 9 in the first half. But Heitinga's sending off was false
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Northern ireland.... Lol, well we were one of the last teams to beat them, 3-2 at windsor park belfast, a david healy hat trick
Hahaha. Oh yea that did happen
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
Just take inesta and xavi out.... They will stop them self.... Lol
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
They'll just replace them with Barca's back up, Thiago and Fabregas (too soon?)
Nah not Thiago. But defos Cesc and maybe Juan Mata
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
They have to find replacement for them soon...
They will. Iniesta has some few years to play. So they do not need to replace him just yet. And Spain play a 4-2-3-1 formation with Iniesta playing as a winger who likes to cut in and Xavi as the trequtista. And spain have quite a few Trequitista who could replace Xavi
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
You take out Xavi & Iniesta then they'll replace them with David Silva & Fabregas. Spain have the best midfeild in the world. They have Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso & Busquets who start. Then they have Fabregas, David Silva, Navas & Cazorla on the bench. That's just ridiculous! There is soo much talent on this team

Kick4Life - changing lives through football