Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Teams Do You Think Have The Best Youth Departments In The World?
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
A teams youth department is a major part in fostering talent for the future, players develop a specific playing style suited to a team. All players come from somewhere but how good they become can be attributed to the work put in through training and the care taken by a club through development.

Which teams do you have best fostered their youth players?

Select from England, Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Holland

I'll start Arsenal, Barcelona, Juventus, Lyon, Werder Bremen and Ajax

Cheers
Kynox1393 (Sunderland) 4 years ago
Would have to agree with this list here, but Borussia Dortmund have a good academy also
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Arsenal, West Ham, Barcelona, Lyon, Ajax and probably Werder Bremen.... Not too sure for italy.... I guess Juventus?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Ajax and man utd are up there, and although theres not a lot in the way of facilities etc, the brazilian clubs produce a lot of young talent.
But I think ajax was the blueprint for every club in the world, and I'm glad my own club man utd adhered to that blueprint, as we have produced some cracking players down the years
Pastor399 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Man utd don't develop young players, they just but everyone else's
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Right.... Bobby Charlton, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville, David Beckham, George Best. I don't think I've ever heard of any of those guys
DEFENDtheBRIDGE (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Definitely agree that Ajax has set the standard for academies across the globe. Jong Ajax (Young Ajax) has fostered and developed some of the brightest talent this game has ever seen. The amount of footballing talent the Dutch unearth per capita is just astonishing.

Take a look at this list: Cruijff, Neeskens, Rijkaard, Davids, the De Boers bros, Seedorf, Kluivert as well as current stars Van der Vaart, Sneijder and Stekelenberg.

Fantastic stuff really
RuudBoy (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I know I'm biased, and its my duty to support Manchester United, but the current united roster is stacked with youngsters that are just on the brink of blowing up. Forget Paul Scholes for a minute and look at someone like rafael, welbeck, macheda, gibson, fabio, Chicharito might not count as "our" product of the youth system so I won't even bring him up again. All those players were playing reserve games last season under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I remember once I was watching MUTV maybe last season or the season before that and they had a Danny Welbeck special about how he was breaking into the first team and the kid was still doing schoolwork during the day. Now he is at Sunderland making waves. This season those players have been in the first team as Rooney was out and they are undeafeated. L can't help it. They are just great
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Let's not forget about Marco Van Basten as well coming out of the Ajax system. They certainly are the blue print, as well as laying down the blueprint for in my opinion the best footballing philosophy, total football. Barcelona have followed in their footsteps, and now they have the best youth system in the world "La masia" and the best philosophy right now. Ajax and Dutch football get a lot of credit for this however, as Cruijff implemented a lot of these ideas onto Barcelona's play in the 70s, which they still use.

But right now, I think Barcelona have the best youth system
KTown (1. Kaiserslautern) 4 years ago
Just started following football during the World Cup and in the few months since I've heard the Ajax program mentioned many times and to a lesser extent other Eredivisie clubs. I guess you could sum it up to brand recognition and as Tony said, being a blueprint for player development
If you have a look at the characteristics of players to come out of Ajax you will see that they are very technically gifted  
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I was going to say ajax, but everyone else already has
I guess i'd agree with lyon, juventus, werder bremen, but i'll throw in man utd because I'm biased
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Germany on the whole does well to induce youngsters in first team.

Italy on the other end, sucks at playing their young talents regularly.

In terms of club breeders- Ajax, Arsenal, Barcelona are top breeders of international players quality. Thereafter, ManUtd run them closely. West Ham are also quite good at development....

Outside the countries stated by Juve, I like Sporting Lisbon's academy for the brilliant work they had done this past decade. - Think Ronaldo.
Agree completely with Italy, from a Juventus perspective Giovinco was the next big thing and he was benched for two seasons, until loaned
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yeah, for Inter's Santon and Balotelli as well, its not a good thing to play in Italy. So in a way, I felt its good super mario moved on...
Robbery69 (Bayern München) 4 years ago
First one that comes to mind is Ajax for me, and the lately and often heard one is the Barca school.

Just as no one else has mentioned it, The Bayern youth programm has done some great work over the last decade:

Youve got: Schweinsteiger and Lahm as oldest to profit from germanys (Bayerns) increased expenditure for youth trainings after the horrible Euro Cup 2000 (for germany). Then come Müller, Badstuber, and Kroos who are turning into great players, also Mats Hummels has bee great for Dortmund the last year and this season and is also from the Bayern youth academy. Some may remember Alaba aswell who played a few games and is only 17 and showed promising signs especially in the u-20 WC I think it was for switzerland. And we still have more promising names coming up like ekici and Knassmüllner
Kynox1393 (Sunderland) 4 years ago
Adding some international spice here:  1. Arsenal  2. Ajax  3. Barcelona  4. Boca Juniors  5. Santos
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Spot on! I'd only add to it that I think Ajax has had the best flux of influential players playing their trade in Europe and after them I'd say Arsenal overtook them but their youth products turned big stars have diminished along the years, they might have some interesting players in their current squad but who is to say they can earmark the next big player?

I believe after Arsenal, Barcelona currently hold the edge of the spear of talented players, I'm not that sure about the South Americans but they certainly have some interesting players out there on the market at moment and you could never go wrong in betting on a South American talent, often their talent dies out before they reach peak form but they always bring something new to the table.

In italy, Palermo having been making big noises about their youth and their latest showcase was that of Cavani, I can't believe he wasn't bought by a bigger club, the players Palermo still have left at their squad are being watched by some of the best clubs in world, including Barcelona, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Manchester United
Brazilian youth departments are phenomenal in regards to the talent they produce. The issue with Brazil is that their players cannot go abroad till they reach 18 or so. By then many of the players are settled into life in Brazil. They get paid.... Enough and therefore remain in Brazil. The players must obviously get reated well as many high profile Brazilian stars express their want to return and play in the countries' league. Take Ronaldo, Adriano and Robinho for example. The leagues in Brazil are fiercely contested and the crowds even better. Its no wonder we don't get to see all the great talent this country can produce. That is why at every World Cup and unknown Brazilian shines in the Selacao and is eventually picked up by a European Club
RossiPique (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This is an interesting article about the guy credited with finding Lionel Messi and how he's set up a new youth development centre in Quatar tasked with trying to unearth potential wonderkids from around the world

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/9122296.s...

I'd have to agree with what most people say in terms of the best youth setups, Ajax, Barcelona, Lyon, Sporting Lisbon, Manchester United, Arsenal, West Ham and Middlesrorough have had a decent setup in England too, with the likes of Downing, Adam Johnson, David Weater, etc
Unmecenfrance (Lille) 4 years ago
Disclaimer: This is a joke; do not take it personally.

Wherever Chelsea steal their youth talent from. They certainly don't farm it themselves!

All joking aside, you can't deny Arsenal and Arsene Wenger's talent for growing extraordinary youth talent. The man makes quality footballers happen. They are born and Wenger nurtures them into greatness. The same goes for Barça: what budding young footballer doesn't dream about being in the Academy there? It's almost a guaranteed ticket to stardom.... Well, at least it's a guaranteed test to see if you've got what it takes to compete with the future stars of this world, because they'll be there, training alongside you, ready to run circles around you to put on that first team jersey. Really any club with a longstanding tradition in football is going to have great youth program. Arsenal and Barça just seem to stick out as the most storied of them all
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
There is already a list of clubs as fore mentioned, so I'll skip those clubs.

Psv Eindhoven has a pretty decent set up too. Mark Van Bommel and Arjen Robben are prime examples of that illustrious club academy.

Then, we have River Plate at Argentina, with examples like Javier Saviola and Andres D'Allesandro.

In France, Marsaille have a pretty decent track record as well, like Flamini for example. Also in france, Bordeaux with Cristoph Dugarry and Bixante Lizarazu.

But I suppose the teams I have quoted are no where near what the systems as mentioned before can produce. So this would only be food for thought
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Arsenal, Barca, Ajax, Man Utd, West Ham
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Why is everyone saying Barca, the team who get rid of all its youth then buys them back later when there good lol.

Santos, River Plate produce the best in my opinion

Kick4Life - changing lives through football