Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Club Has The Most Successful Record Of Transfers?
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It's funny, because if this were Man City's spending over the last few years as opposed to their number of titles and cups won it's a different story, over 250 million spent in two years and nothing to show for it
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Spot on. Precisely why money spent doesn't equate to titles.
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
About Chelsea. Look at their line up. Its very cheap. And look at how succesful they are.
Cech=7 million

Ivanovic= 9million
Terry= Youth Product
Cole= 5 million

Mikel= 4miilion
Essien= 14million
Lampard= 11million

Drogba= 24million
Kalou= 9million
Malouda= 20 million all equals to 103millioin
Disagree.

2003-2009

Duff (£17m) Makelele (£16. 8m) Crespo (£16. 8m), Mutu (£15. 8m), Veron (£15m), Bridge (£7m + Le Saux), Geremi (£7m), Joe Cole (£6. 6m), Johnson (£6m), Smertin (£3. 5m)
Carvalho (£20m), Ferreira (£13. 2m), Robben (£12. 5m), Tiago (£10m), Kezman (£5m) Drogba (£24m) Cech (£7m) Carvalho (£20m), Ferreira (£13. 2m), Robben (£12. 5m), Tiago (£10m), Kezman (£5m), Jarosik (£5m) Shevchenko (£30m) Ashley Cole (£5m plus William Gallas) Mikel (£16m), Boulahrouz (£9m), Kalou (£8m), Ballack (free), Hilario (free) Bosingwa (£16. 2m) Deco (£8m) Zhirkov (£18m) Sturridge (£3. 5m), Matic (£1. 5m), Turnbull (free)Malouda (£13. 5m)
Belletti (£5. 5m), Pizarro (free), Ben Haim (free), Sidwell (free), Alex (free) Anelka (£15m), and Ivanovic (£9m)) Parker (£10m) Essien (£24. 4m) Wright-Phillips (£21m), Del Horno (£8m), L Diarra (£1m)

In total, they spent around £390 million over the 6 years to get to the team they are. And when they sell players they do so at huge loss. That's unsuccessful transfer dealings. The most obvious is Shevchenko, Deco, Zhirkov, Wright-phillips.

Any club other than ManUtd, Liverpool and Man City who does that will no doubt sees themselves bankrupt in no time.

JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Wow - an average of 65 million per year speaks for itself! This is definitely not a successful transfer policy even if you have won a few domestic trophies in that time period. I get the impression Chelsea are moving away from that policy now that they have bought themselves a current team of quality
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Actually, it wasn't that disastrous. The thing about Chelsea then was due to the fact they were never actually satisfied with some of their players. They never actually needed Malouda nor did they need Kalou, since they had Duff and Robben. Not satisfied with Wayne Bridge they went for Del Horno, and now Ashley Cole. Not Satisfied with Hernan Crespo and Adrian Mutu, they went for Drogba and Anelka.

So technically, it isn't that bad, just that they were too bias towards certain players. Most of Chelsea's old line up were pretty decent, just that they had one overhaul too many
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Thnk you. DerBomba(epic name) is right
It still wasn't successful by any means. Shelling out more than the market value for most of the players they bought. If that's successful, Real's Galaticos era which has a haul of what, 4 or 5 Ballon D'or must be the most successful ever. And not forgetting the most recent Ballon D'or holders.... But spending so much hasn't got them many titles have they?

And by not being Disastrous, its because they have money to burn. If they spent so much and still couldn't come out with a decent team, the board should hang themselves, and the team will be in shambles. Look at Liverpool. Spent more than Man Utd still couldn't dish out a team to beat Blackpool(with all due respect, but Blackpool doesn't even come close to them with the budget nor talents.)
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The problem with Arsene Wenger, and please don't take it the wrong way, is that he rarely buys a player who isn't french or doesn't play play in the French top flight or leagues. Buying most of your players from the same country isn't such a bad thing as all of the players can communicate and relate to each other better, however this isn't fair in comparison to teams like Man United - look at their signings - all over the world
Hmmm.... Does that make Man United better or more successful in transfer? Wenger's boys also came from all over the world...
Ah.... I see where you're coming from, there's no doubt Wenger has a soft spot for French players, but well.... I see things in terms of profits, that's why I condemn Real's transfer policy. We only make losses and no profits at all. So Man Utd and Arsenal have a much better transfer policy
I'm surprised no one mentioned Arsene Wenger. His track record in the transfer market has been nothing short of phenomenal, well of course there are glaring failures too.

Great Transfer work:
Nicholas Anelka (bought for 500K sold for 22M)

Theirry Henry (bought for 10. 5M sold for 20M) I can't remember but I do think this was a loss, but he got the best of Henry

Patrick Viera (bought for 3. 5M sold for 13. 7M)

Marc Overmars (bought for 6M sold for 25M)

Kolo Toure (bought for 150K sold for 14M)

Robert Pires (bought for 6M, sold for free) but Arsenal got the best of him

Freddy Ljungberg (bought for 3M, selling fee was unknown) Arsenal got the best of him

Emmanuel Pettit (bought for 3. 5M sold for 7M)

Cesc Fabregas (bought for free, his value must have jumped)

Sol Campbell (Bought for nothing, sold for nothing) got the best years out of him

Emmanuel Adebayor (Bought for 7M sold for 25M)

Gilberto Silva (Bought for 4. 5M sold for 1M) He gave his best years

Robin Van Persie (Bought for 2. 75M, probably worth alot more)

Alexander Hleb (Bought for 11. 2M sold for 11. 8M)

Matt Flamini (Bought for nothing, sold for nothing) Learned his trade at Arsenal

Worst Transfers:
Jose Antonio Reyes (Bought for 10. 5M, sold for 8M) No one knows what happened to him

Francis Jeffers (Bought for 7M, sold for 2. 6M) Worst Signing made by Arsene

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst (Bought for 8. 5M sold for nothing) Didn't suit the English game

Richard Wright (Signed for 8M sold for 6. 5M) A total waste of money

Pascal Cygan (signed for 2. 1M, must be worthless right now)

Mikael Silvestre (Signed for 750K, sold for free) You wonder if Arsene had been watching Man Utd Games, a total flop like that should never have been signed

Neutral Signings:
Eduardo (Bought for 14M sold for 6M) a loss, but this is a special case due to the broken leg.

Well, having broken it down, I guess Arsenal do have a ridiculous knack for saving money. No doubt Cristiano's sale from Man Utd takes the cake, but Arsenal's sales are still amazing

Wenger, indeed. He knows a diamond when he sees one. And he knows how to polish them so that it attracts the best prices
Yep, that's definitely an impressive record by Wenger. It is interesting that we didn't immediately think of Wenger. His low profile in the transfer market may be part of his success - with teams not associating Arsenal and Wenger as potential big spenders
Well, the thing about Wenger I admire the most is the fact that he's a total miser. I wouldn't say he's low profile, but his acquisitions are cheap, very much like Man Utd. These clubs then proceed to sell players at a massive profit which works in their favor.

Perhaps if you're viewing transfer records in terms of success on the pitch, then perhaps Barcelona would be the best, but in terms of profiteering, Man Utd and Arsenal would be the best
The one exception to Wenger's transfer success is goalkeepers. Obviously he couldn't pick a good keeper to save his life. LOL!
Ah that's very true, I have never seen Wenger make any decent decisions on keepers, given that Seaman was already there, so perhaps his "best" keeper acquisition would be Jens Lehmann.compared to Fergie's best : Schmeichel and now Van Der Sar. But I must say that Fergie has a great eye for keepers, probably the best out there
Which Club Has The Most Successful Record Of Transfers?

My guess is any clubs that Harry Redknapp goes to. His wheeling deals has probably more obvious success than failures I guess.

Azeal (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I would say Barca.... But some of their recent dealings confused me.

They produced the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Pedro.... Etc etc. There are very few teams that could challenge a feat like that and using them to earn 6 trophies in a year.... That's madness.

Henry.... And being unable to pay for salaries?
JustGary (Manchester United) 4 years ago
You should name the other players who make up 'etc etc'. They paid 46 million plus E'to for Ibrahimovic and just spent how many millions on Villa who many say is surplus to requirements. I guess you need to look at their transfers over a longer period of time to have a clearer picture
TohNahCan (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think Barca have a succesful transfer policy as it includes developing their own youngsters unlike Chelsea, Manchester City or Real Madrid.  
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
If you include the youngsters who went to live in Barça at a very young age (12-16), then yeah, we definitely have a great spending policy. Some of our recent transfers have been overpaid though: Overmars back in the day was a huge signing (40m?) and he wasn't as fabulous as hoped for. More recently, a year ago we paid 25m for Dmytro Chygrynskiy and he was pretty woeful, despite being great at Shaktar before and being only 21. We sold him just recently for 15m, back to Shaktar and he does well there again.... Must have been homesick.

I don't agree on the Ibra deal being much too expensive though: Eto'o could move on a Bosman leave half a year later, and he didn't want to extend his contract unless he would get a huge wage. Ibra had still 5 years left on his Inter contract and had just played a really stunning season after a bunch of other great seasons. So it was normal that Barça had to caugh up a lot of money for him, and add Eto'o to the deal. And Eto'o is also older than Ibra.

On hindsight, Eto'o probably did deserve that wage increase, I loved the guy. But everyone also forgets he missed 10 times before scoring once. He's no killer like Villa or Messi.

So for every very big good signing Barcelona has done, there has been one where they probably overpaid. But that all compensates if you include the immense amount of world class players that came from La Masia or other youth ranks at Barcelona. The largest number of good Spanish players playing abroad once were Barcelona players
Keong (Manchester United) 3 years ago
JustGary, where's veron? A great buy or.... ^^
I think you put berg and heinze wrongly.... They should be your ok buy instead of poor and terrible buy.... ^^
I don't know how I managed to miss out Veron who I did have in one of the original lists I used. I think Veron struggled with the physical demands of the league but was a class act otherwise. Although he didn't live up to the great expectations of him at that time I think all things considered he was a 'okay' buy/sell.

As for Berg and Heinze fair enough I wouldn't argue against either designation although I do think Berg performed notably better than Heinze
AC Milan bought Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten and went on to win everything in sight as well as establish/confirm themselves as a great team. I don't know what there transfer activities have been like since than but that got to be some great business! Could they be the team with the best overall transfer record?

Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I wouldn't say Milan has the most successful transfer record, maybe decent, if not good, mainly because we don't do transfers with the English and Spanish sides
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
ManUnited. Vidic for what 4million or something? Ill have to say the only bad transfer of sir alex has been berba for 30million, other then that he has been amazing in buying talents such as ronaldo/rooney, he is also great in replacing players. Valencia is just a prime example
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
We also have to remember that it's not Ferguson getting on a plane and watching these young players. He's in his cosy office and gets handed a piece of paper that says the scouts in Mexico have strongly recommended this player as a definite for this season, and Ferguson stamps the page. Man United have 'first refusal' on huge amounts of talent on foreign teams and that is how they get so many young players. If anyone deserves the applause from United fans, its the vast, established and informed scouting network
Great point. Obviously, SAF is ultimately responsible for scouting but I'd be interested to find out who established/recruited this scouting network and who has day to day responsibility for managing the whole scouting system? Is this something that SAF does?
TohNahCan (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Manchester United of course! They bought Cantona for 2 million or less, paid little or nothing for Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Neville G and Neville P. They paid small sums for Keane, Hughes, Ince, and Schmichael. They also paid big sums for Cole, Yorke, Van Nistlerooy, Rooney, Ronaldo and Ferdinand but have gotten more than their monies worth with great performances, trophies galore and sexy, entertaining football. But Cantona was the best buy of all. Also sold Beckham, Ronaldo for a great profit. Unbelievable business! Plus so many others!
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Schmeichel - Please do not deface the name of my childhood idol and the best goalie of all time. Thank You
4 years ago
Lets add Kleberson, Karel Poborsky, Massimo Taibi, Garry Birtles, Jordi Cruyff, Nikola Jovanovic, Eric Djemba Djemba, Quinton Fortune, Liam Miller, David May, David Bellion, Laurent Blanc, Veron to the list. Plus so many others!
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well we know it't not Madrid City or Leeds
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Also go ahead and add ole solskjaer too, we got him for a little over 1 million
I can understand why Netnerd would want to mention those names given that TohNahCan rightly identifies Cantona as one if not the best value for money signings/transfers (from Leeds) of all time. But those names mentioned are still part of the overall equation. Is the positive or negative side of the transfers winning?

Rob, that's why I didn't mention Man City or Leeds but Madrid did have success in the 50's with the original galacticos - with Puskas, Di Stefano and the others and have had success since then as well
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Lets not forget the joke that was Diego Forlan. Arguably one of the best strikers in International football these days, couldn't score from two yards with no keeper for United. Has to be considered a flop.

SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Oh god forgot about him
4 years ago
Of course Cantona was a great player and Leeds fans hated when he moved over the Pennines. However, my post wasnt due to any lingering bitterness, it was just to point out that sir Alex isn't this mercurial transfer market god that most Man Utd fans claim. For every Cantona, theres a Karel Poborsky
You make a very fair point. I'm going to do some research on United to see if your assertion that for "every Cantona, theres a Karel Poborsky" is true. That is to say, are there more positive transfers in terms of number of transfers and value of transfers (the Cantonas if you like) than negative transfers (the Proborskys)
Azeal (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Fabian Bartez was my hero.... Prior Man UTD era
Sharpoon (Hull City) 4 years ago
First off I hate Man you, but I have to stick up for Fegie here. He signed Forlan because he IS a good player, how was he to know Forlan would struggle to settle down in England and this would affect his game. Fergie sounded out a good player, but he failed to deliver and that was not down to purely footballing reasons
I looked at Man utd over 20 years of significant transfers giving consideration to: purchase price, resale value, player performance, length of stay and trophy success. If players were injured for significant length of time this counted against them ala Hargreaves and Saha who probably would be higher if not for injuries.

Great BUYS - Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Edwin van der Sar, Patrice Evra, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Peter Schmeichel. (9). 16. 36%

Very GOOD BUYS - Andy Cole, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Dwight Yorke, Jaap Stam, Teddy Sheringham, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Paul Ince, Gary Pallister, Denis Irwin, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes. (13). 23. 64%

Okay BUYS - Andrei Kanchelskis, Paul Parker, Nicky Butt, Ronny Johnsen, Phil Neville, Wesley Brown, Lee Sharpe, John O'Shea, Mickael Silvestre, Laurent Blanc, Alan Smith, Nani, Michael Carrick, Park Ji-Sung. (14). 25. 45%

Poor - Tony Coton, Jordi Cruyff, Henning Berg, Jesper Blomqvist, Quentin Fortune, Tim Howard, Louis Saha, Dion Dublin, Keith Gillespie, Owen Hargreaves, Anderson (11). 20. 00%

Terrible BUYS - Karel Poborsky, Massimo Taibi, Fabien Barthez, Diego Forlan, Eric Djemba-Djemba, Jose Kleberson, Gabriel Heinze, David May. (8) 14. 55%

So 30% of the time Utd have made great or very good buys. Another quarter of their buys have been okay. Whilst one in five buys has proved to be poor including poor performance due to injury. And finally, one in seven buys proves to be an absolute howler.

I also noticed that the club promoted loyalty by taking every opportunity to reward long serving players with a free transfer if they could no longer get into the team/squad. 14. 55% of players came through the youth system.

And finally after all that work the best buy of them all....

Absolutely brilliant exceptional BUYS -.... JustGary.... Just having a laugh :)

It was recently reported that the cost of the Real Madrid squad is a staggering 481.5 million euros* whilst the starting XI for Manchester City was valued at a jaw-dropping 182 million pounds. Much talk has been generated either bemoaning or defending the recent transfer activity of the 'big spending' football clubs. Are these clubs getting value for money? Many say no! Looking at the overall transfer activities of clubs over a period of time allows us to develop a much more complete picture of the clubs relative failure or success in the unsure world of the transfer market. It is not just about buying players who have either failed or performed brilliantly but also about letting go of players who have gone on to perform well, for example - Wesley Sneijder, Gerard Pique or Samuel E'to. Which of the following clubs do you think have the best transfer record: AC Milan, Ajax, Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

I'm not sure how far back we should go so I'll leave that up to you - maybe post-Bosman, maybe post 1980 when big TV monies came into European football, or maybe to post 50's from the start of the original Galacticos. Whatever, the time period you start from be sure to give good reasons not just opinion.

* Link: sportige.com/real-madrid-2010-2011/

Kick4Life - changing lives through football