Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Should UEFA Do About The Italy-Serbia Match?
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Hey Guys,
There was a lot of controversy following Italy-Serbia. Burning of the Kosovo flag, destruction of the stadium and much more.
What do you guys think the UEFA should do about all this?
Would it be fair to replay the match under the same circumstances?
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
That match will go to Italy 3-0. At this point this is the least that UEFA will do.

Expect heavy fines and some other limitations for the national team and the fans participation.

The most important thing for now it is how the local authorities in Serbia will move to solve this problem so it does not repeat itself in the future.

Keep politics and violence out of the stadia. Full stop
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Agreed!
Sspdcm (Sporting CP Lisbon) 3 years ago
Extremely hard decision for UEFA, they have many sanctions avaliable to them which include disqualifying Serbia from Euro 2012 and excluding them from future competitions. However this would be extremely harsh due to that it is a small far right groups in Serbia (Kosovo flag being burnt)
But I do understand that its most of the Serbian Government faults for neglecting hooliganism for the past 20 years in football so based on that will it be fair that UEFA punishes Serbian football, one thing is for sure it isn't the players fault and they shouldn't receive any of the blame.

One thing that I am trying to get my head over it is the game was played in Genoa, Italy so shouldn't security level been increased or maintained to a high standard? Shouldn't the police be checking the type of objects supporters are bringing to the stadium.

About a replay, Serbian Sports governing body has stated that they would like to play a replay match ' in the spirit of the game', could be possible however would have to be closed off....

Extremely tough call for UEFA....
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
It was the flag of Albania, not the flag of Kosovo. Albania is a member of UEFA and FIFA. But, I don't thing the flag is the issue. Throwing fireworks in the pitch is the issue. Risking the lives of the players is the issue. Destroying the seats of the stadium and throwing them on the side of the Italian fans is the issue.

And yes, it is tough, because you don't want to punish the team and the regular Serbian fans and an entire nation for that matter.

Don't forget the precedent though. Liverpool and the English clubs were banned for five years from the European competitions. Yes, in that case people died, but that's why Serbia will not published for 5 years. However, do expect some sign of toughness from UEFA. They have to do it
Sspdcm (Sporting CP Lisbon) 3 years ago
Sorry to anyone whom is reading I got mistaken with Albania and Kosovo....

One question that puzzles me is why isn't the security at the Ferraris Stadium upped? The Italian Federation knowing full that Serbian football is well known for there out of controlled supporters. There was even images on BBC Serbian supporter cutting the net with some sort of knife.... How is that possible? How did they get past the security? I hope UEFA investigation looks into this....

Sam (Juventus) 3 years ago
I think the "poor" assumption that Serbia would not allow rowdy/dangerous fans to travel was a little too unrealistic on Italy's part and they should have been more strict at the gates.... Plus the tradition in Italy dictates that football is watched by people with sense- the only real time they have added security is for derbies.... Serbia had been fine in the past few games as far as fan behaviour was concerned.... Either way shame for the FIGC and Italian football in general
NYRBforever (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
During My trip through Europe this summer, I went to the Inter Milan vs Udinese match at the San Siro in September. When I went through the gates, I got a full pat down plus had to go through a metal detector. Also, my name was on the ticket. I don't know why weapons would get through the security. Maybe other stadiums on the peninsula don't have the same security measures as the San Siro, but they should
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 3 years ago
Like you guys said, it's a difficult call. Some kind of hard message must be sent. Anybody know what happened to the hooligans? I mean were they arrested and stuff?
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Ivan the Terrible, as he is called, was arrested, and a few others, whilst the others where sent home
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I feel that uefa's decision to award italy a 3-0 win is unfair to the other teams in the group, the match should have been played behind closed doors.
Now northern ireland will suffer as uefa have banned away fans from visiting serbia for away games, wheres the fairness in that? Our team playing without support, yet we done nothing wrong, the northern ireland fans are great, never any problems, and welcomed were ever they go.
But while italy get handed an easy 3pts and 3 goals, and a cleansheet, the rest have to settle for the results they got against serbia, and those teams still to play serbia will suffer the aftermath of all this, like the ban on the northern ireland fans, and no doubt other teams in the group will have their fans banned from visiting serbia aswell
Sam (Juventus) 3 years ago
The ban is also to protect the fans of the teams that are playing against Serbia! Not sure how excited you would be about having and, Ireland fans hurt after already seeing what the Serbs are capable of! It's like dangling a piece of meat in front of hungry lions and expecting them to stay calm!

As far as the points being awarded, I think the 3 points were justly awarded following that fracas.... The scoreline might have been a little generous given that the Azzurri were never going to win by that scoreline (might not even have won the game to begin with!), but we'll take all the help we can get!
Lifeguard 3 years ago
Why would UEFA ban the fans from going to Serbian home games? Why not just ban Serbia from playing at home? It isn't the visitors' fault after all, and why should other teams be punished for the action of Serbia's fans? My view is that the fans of the Serbian team should be punished by having all remaining home games moved to the other teams' country
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I agree with you tony, it isn't fair to the other fans in the group. The match behind closed doors would have been the best decision, and if not that, then maybe only award a 1-0 victory to italy. It gives them a generous goal differential. And banning away fans for away games against serbia is stupid, it's even more of an advantage to them, not a punishment. They should ban serbian fans from traveling to italy, and. Ireland, etc instead of the other way around. Oh well, this isn't the first time i've disagreed with uefa or fifa, and it won't be the last
Unmecenfrance (Lille) 3 years ago
Well, I think the decision was justified, in that UEFA has to act as a governing body here. They have set in place guidelines about hooliganism and have to, in order to justify themselves as a governing body that puts such ordinances in place, reinforce them by punishing teams--the only organizations that UEFA has any control or sanction over. It is sad that a group of fans who represent an appalling minority have changed the fate of a national side's progress in competition. It is also quite sad that such misbehaviour by fans causes punishment for the innocent in the larger sense.... That is to say, the only ones really suffering are the players, staffs and real fans out there--I say real fans, because hooligans have little to do with fandom; especially in this case, where the hooliganism was of a political nature. And the last thing that belongs in football and in stadiums is politics. But, as I have said, the team is the only organization that UEFA has the power to sanction, and Serbia are generally lucky not to have been banned from competition. Now, whether a replay is justified, I think we can all agree as level-headed sports fans that the team definitely deserved a chance to play out the match.... Obviously this could only have happened in a closed atmosphere, sans fans of either team. But, this didn't happen and we are stuck with the conundrum of how a 3-0 gift for Italy affects their position in the group and the validity of other teams' results against Serbia in light of such a gift. I think it really boils down to a case-in-point of how life sometimes is just not fair. And despite UEFA's insistence that it is trying to promote fair play at every step, including punishing teams that have issues with their fans, for everyone involved I think there is a feeling of unfairness and injustice in the entire matter
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 3 years ago
UEFA (as usual) have done the lazy thing. Decide to give three goals to Italy. In my opinion; the case should be properly dealt with - the fans and team alike punished, however the game should be replayed. It is not in my sportsmanship belief that a game is automatically won regardless of the situation. The governing bodies of football in general are either corrupt or damn right lazy. I would not overreact by my comments as I am aware that the case it not completely over, however more needs to be done and the sport must also be altered for simple new rules or technology such as cross-line technology, than more fairness can evolve, it is very sad to look over a situation like this and say this is the sport I most believe in. Replay the game and punish those unlawfully involved in the chaos; show the world why this is the most popular sport in the globe and that the UEFA championships host the best football
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Completely agree mate

Kick4Life - changing lives through football