Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Position Do You Play?
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I am a goalkeeper myself, and many people say being a goalkeeper is just leaving yourself open to abuse for making howlers that could potentially cost your team the game, a bit like these.......

Or these....

Granted being a goalkeeper can be a tough job at times, but it can come with glory too, when your the reason your team is still in the game or a penalty shootout glory, I have once been in a penalty shootout and I lost so no such glory for me, here are a few reasons why I like being a Keeper..........

All in I enjoy being a Goalkeeper, the last line of defence, you get to be a bit crazy and charge at peoples feet, most of time they jump out of the way some of the times you get hurt! Lol

I enjoy playing a bit of outfield football at times but only when we're playing for fun with a bunch of my mates, I don't really have a particular position, I just run about like an idiot! Lol

Anyway whats your favourite position and why? (And yes I'm talking about football for those of you thinking from the gutter.........You know who you are! Lol)
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 1 year ago
Goalkeeping is one of the toughest roles, but it's really enjoyable to use your responsive skills against any type of shots. Keepers need a lot of concentration and mental strenght.
I personally love playing as a goalie for fun sometimes, especially when it comes to corner kick situations where you need to commit and catch the ball up in the air. Lovely position but tough at the same time
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I am pretty versatile but I usually play as a fullback, usually left FB. I have a style which is quite hard to define as I am a right footed player. When attack I never go all the way to the flag, I usually convert to more of a central midfielder when the team is in attack.

This is a little preview of me

Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
Well at the ripe old age of 54 my position has changed from right winger to right back.... "right back in the armchair" with a beverage watching others do all the running on tv.
When I did play many moons ago I was a right winger
You've earned your place on that armchair Tony, sit back and tell others how you used to do it in your day!
TBS I honestly thought the other dude was just going to walk over and take the ball! Lol
Livethreelions (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I've always been an attacking center midfielder! I love to create plays, whether playing the ball through to my forwards or having a go from the 18! Even in my 20+ years of playing, I still need to learn how to defend better.... I'd like to think that I work box-to-box, but I get caught up waiting to get the ball and attack!
Defending is an art at times, if you have the fitness levels to be attacking and tracking back and an given moment then good for you, it's a tough job but very effective when done right!

Being the provider is becoming just as popular as being the goalscorer these days, when I was in school you always had about 9 players who wanted to play in the number 9 position and it usually left me and one defender against a charging opposition of yet another 9 strikers! Lol
MancYank (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I am a right wing, but at 35 it is becoming a demanding position! Especially since the guys I play are usually about 20 years old. I sneak up top sometimes when our better fowards take a break, too
Time to drift into the middle and let someone with younger legs do the running, use your experience to guide them, the good thing about being a keeper is if you have a half decent defence then running is kept to a minimum most games!
Tanmay 2 years ago
I am a goalkeeper but when I was younger I often played in the central midfield as well
I played outfield for a bit when we were short on players and I was a right back, and not an attacking one either, just sat back and defended that was my job, and to be honest I fell more confident in goals than I do outfield, I don't think you can play LB or RB without being expect to make the overlapping runs down the wings, just about all are expected to do so these days!
Malik (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Due to my busy scheduled I hardly play any football these days, but when I used to play I usually played as goalkeeper or sometime center back, I always found goalkeeping the most funniest position, as all 20 players run for the ball but both goalkeepers (like boos)just wait & automatically it comes to you

I mostly played as a keeper in all the sports (that contain keeping position) which I have played
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Yeah me too, I played in goals in Hockey as well in high school, all the padding made it good fun I thought!

Must be a good hand eye coordination thing! Lol
St1or (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I love playing as a CAM and sometimes as a CDM if my team's lacking defenders.

But my main good qualities as a player is the ability to create goal scoring opportunities! I love controlling the game. I am very instinctive and always play out my options in my head before receiving the ball. Creativity, I certainly don't lack either!

To give you an idea, my play style is sort of like Iniesta's. I am not a fast player but my feet are quick and my vision/creativity is one of my best qualities!
As I said before I think playing in behind and creating is becoming just as popular as scoring goals, having a creative midfielder who can see a good pass and change the game is one of the more important roles on the field!
Darius (Southampton) 2 years ago
I'm a right back and a right midfielder. Never really had to play the traditional winger role however. Usually when I play midfield, tactically I've always been allowed to interchange with other midfielders and creep into the middle from time to time. Only time that I do play as an all-out winger are at pick-up games since I really don't have a connection with any of my teammates
Yeah as I said I did play RB at one point when I was younger, although I was not a pacy one so I usually sat back and provided cover and let other more attacking players roam forward!
Darius (Southampton) 1 year ago
Yeah funny thing is for me is that I am very much a pacy player, but I don't up and down the flanks 24/7 as much as people would think. I just don't like relying on my athleticism to win my battles rather than my brain and technical ability
Pace certainly helps though as long as your not over doing it or relying too much on it. Its certainly a useful asset for a team to have pace on the wings, playing the through ball to run onto can sometimes completely tear a defence to bits as they generally don't tend to be on the pacy side they rely more on positioning!
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I usually play as a CDM for my team. I love staying back and fighting for the ball and being involved in the game. When I was around 8 or 9 I was always played as a striker because of my height, I was OK as a striker but I like playing in the midfield a lot more.
I still do a get a goal here and there from maybe set pieces and an odd shot from outside the penalty area, but I love playing where I do
I love players that get stuck in and are real ball winners, reminds me of the likes of Rino Gattuso throughout his career not just when he was at Rangers!

If a team has someone that is willing to snap into challenges and is not afraid of hurting themselves in the process the players around him know this and usually it gives others a bit more time on the ball when they are lurking! Lol

Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
You would love wee robert garrett from linfield john, a real wee hard nut
ManUK (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I found this video of me showcasing my skills if anyone's interested

That was beautiful Kaden, firstly Messi style brilliance from the keeper then a Heskey like finish from the forward! Lol
Lifeguard 1 year ago
I myself find my style to be that of an attacking midfield. I compare my play (not skill level) to that of cristiano ronaldo, or ballack, who makes plays and passes the ball, but is quick on the ball and has an eye for goal if given the opportunity. I'm left footed, which can be an advantage when fooling the goalkeeper because most people are right footed, but a disadvantage, because playing the left side of the field means the defenders right foot is lined up to my left
Lefties tend to be the more skillful players I think, although I do not trust them when taking penalties! Lol    
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 1 year ago
I'm a defender, I love it so bad
Borg (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I usually play RW or LW and in a very traditional winger role. It is maybe an odd position for me since I am tall (6'3") but I was placed there at a young age because of my stamina and ability to put a good ball in. In college (Division 3) I played some winger but the manager wanted to convert me to striker because of my height. I can play fullback if necessary and I like to get a foot in. I can also play CM but my natural position is on the wings
Bit of an all rounder then mate! Lol    Learn how to play in goals and your a complete player!
Borg (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Yeah it's almost a cardinal sin that I am a poor header of the ball being so tall!
Laskabacsi (Liverpool) 1 year ago
I usually play as a defender. Love stopping good runs and intercepting crucial passes. With 1. 75m I'm not that big so that makes it even more fun. Sometimes I play CM because I can pick out runs pretty good and serve them with a decent through ball. I try to think outside of the box and be spontaneus (which usually only works if I play with my friends, because they are prepared for some unexpected passes). Once or twice I'm forced to play striker (when I started playing football that was my position, because I was small and agile and was always in position to leech off of mistakes) but my finishing isn't the best and I much rather put someone else in a goal scoring position then wasting it myself
Miloogden7 (Manchester City) 1 year ago
I am personally a defender, this is due to my size and strength.
But I still love going forward and attacking.
If I was not a defender I would definitely try my best as a striker

Kick4Life - changing lives through football