Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Is You Favorite Field Formation?
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
What is your favorite soccer set up, my favorite is the 4-5-1 four defenders and 5 midfielders and 1 striker! We play the same formation on my team!
Docdre99 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I prefer 3-5-2 with 2 defensive midfield like vieira and gerrard plus one number 10 like kaka
SCBlue (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I like a 4-1-2-1-2.

Looks like this

------x----x------
---------x---------
----x---------x---
---------x---------
--x---x---x---x--

Allows for free flowing attack and a solid defence as you back up. Working quite well for chelsea this year. So happy to finally ditch the 4-3-3
Mastro21 (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
Your formation is basically a 4 - 4 - 2 or a 4 - 3 - 3 depending on how you look at it, and how fancy you really want to be lol
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Some variation on the bog-standard 4-4-2 is my favourite

Zach (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Mine's the same only adding more of a wingback feel to the defence. Overlapping the FB's in attack and allowing the wingers to switch often gives a very free-flowing offence. Also like one of the CM's to be more defencively minded and drop back just in front of the back 4 at times.

--0----
----0--
--------
0-----0
--0-0--
--------
0-----0
--0-0--
---0---
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Mine is 4-5-1 but 4-2-3-1 Liverpool play it Germany play it and Madrid played it under Capello (second era). And so do england. And those teams doe well
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 4 years ago
Yep I like this formation, it provides great support from the midfield
Have you seen barca's? On like FIFA 09 or 08 or any soccer game video game? Its so weird! I have no clue what in the world there's is!
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 4 years ago
Ya i've noticed the difference, not sure what it is ill have to play again and ill pay closer attention. But I don;t usually play with Barca, too many people play with them
Yes, your right they do play with them I watched the formation again its very very weird! I don't even know what it is!
Tnadidas3 (Celtic) 4 years ago
It's a 4-3-3
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
4-3-3, a great counter-attacking formation. Or 4-2-2-2, two side attacking midfield acting as wingers, with two defending midfields supporting the defenders
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
I like to see 4-3-1-2

But it all depends on if you have a player capable of playing in 'the hole', of course the love of this formation comes from Le Tissier's and Saints heyday when they played this way.
Nice I love this one! Its almost flawless!
Syraph (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
AC Milan do amazingly well in this formation with kaka' playing "the hole". In front of him were inghazi and pato. Overall, a great attacking force that frees kaka' to make runs and do some finishing when he's in front with the strikers. Also, pirlo and beckham stayed back and served great, precise crosses. 4-3-1-2 really suits milan's players. (not anymore though )
Bwwiley (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is great when the strikers are offset
FORZAJUVEPIERO (Juventus) 4 years ago
I like this formation if you have an attacking midfielder or a good, well rounded striker that can facilitate and score well. I also like having the same formation but adding one extra defensive midfielder in the middle to add a little more flexibility in the middle of the pitch
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Its my fave too!
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I often play with this tactic pro evolution soccer hi hi hi attacking football
Theshid (Liverpool) 4 years ago
That's my favorite too
Amayel (PSG) 4 years ago
I used to do that field formation in football manager 2005 !
It's my favorite one but I call it : "4-4-2 losange" in french so the translation may be 4-4-2 diamond....
It's real hard to have one defensive middlefield in a team because he will have a lot of job to do, but I like this idea.... ! One defensive middlefield; two offensive middlefield on the side and a number 10 who supports the two strikers !
4-1-2-1-2. Its a cool formation
TFoAV (Whitecaps) 4 years ago
Agreed, that's my favorite. It's very flexible, and a good variation on the 4-4-2. Plus it's what I normally play with on FIFA with my favorite teams, so yeah it's very near and dear to my heart as well.

But still, it's a very solid formation IMO. You gotta' have a great crop of midfielders to pull it off perfectly
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'm a fan of the 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2, just depends on the team. I can't stand having only one striker
Really?!?! I like it! Then you can go any were up top and stuff and its not as confusing as having two, because then you don't have to worry about where he is and where you are so your not on top of each other!
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 4 years ago
I'm a fan of the 4-4-1-1 I like it because the striker on top gets help from the forward on the bottom

Kinda like this
----0----
----0----
0-------0
---0-0---
-0-0-0-0-
----0----
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Its the same as the liverpool one
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This post has been removed by a footytube administrator
I think most teams can play with 4-2-3-1.
Chelsea:Cech Bosingwa-Terry-Alex-A. Cole Mikel-Essien Lampard-Ballack-Yuri Drogba/Anelka
Liverpool:Reina Johnson-Carragher-Skrtel-Arbeloa/Aurelio Alonso-Mascherano Benayoun-Gerrard-Riera Torres
Manchester United: VDS Oshea-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra Carrick-Hargreaves Valencia-Scholes-Rooney Owen/Berbatov
Barcelona:Valdes Alves-Puyol-Pique-Abidal Keita-Yaya Messi-Xavi-Iniesta Eto/Henry
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
FYI the number is supposed to be classified into only 4 groups. So 3-1-4-1-1 is just 4-4-2. I like 4-3-3
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 4 years ago
----0----
---0-----
------0--
--0------
---------
---0--0--
---------
-0-0-0-0-

This is the formation I use in FIFA
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
4-3-3. I'm not sure why, but it has always been my favorite. Maybe because it counters great?
4-2-3-1 is the best for me. Like I said most teams play with this. England Liverpool Madrid in 07 and many other teams
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'm gonna' go for the new man city 4-1-5 formation dunno how sparkies gonna' work it but I'm there 5 strikers woo hoo formations don't vary as much today I think its a case of do you play 2 forwards are 1 and push up the wingers which is basically 3 forwards in recent times the 4-3-3 showcased by barcelona is more successfull so I go with that 1 in pro-ev0(WAY better than FIFA) I use mainly 4-4-2 on line

Kick4Life - changing lives through football