Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Is The Best Transfer Ever Made In The Current Era Of The EPL?
MancYank (Manchester United) 2 years ago
MancYank (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Don't forget the goalkeepers: Peter Schmeichel. 505, 000 pounds for the best stopper England ever saw. The stats: Five Prem titles, Three FA Cups, one League Cup, and the Champions League. Top shelf guy for youth team money
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I know he wasn't cheap at the time, but I have to go with Dennis Bergkamp. Everyone has been talking about Henry but Bergkamp was so instrumental to Arsenal's success. Arsenal had been struggling for a couple years after the glory days of the "boring, boring, 1-nil Arsenal", this turned around when Bergkamp came to the club. Of course a lot of this success has a lot to do with Arsene Wenger coming to the club as well, but Wenger and Dennis shared a similar philosophy about football and both had a huge influence.

Besides Zidane I don't know if any footballer in history has had a better, smoother, composed touch than Bergkamp. That may be a modern biased, and players like Ronaldinho come to mind, but there was just something about the way Berkgamp controlled the ball. My words don't really compare to Henry's himself, who called playing with Dennis, "a dream for a striker." Like many Dutch players his vision is usually just on another level than other players of his time, and again like many great Dutch players, he is ruthless and calm in front of the net. Iceman is an appropriate nickname for him, he reminds me of a hitman actually, remaining calm in tight situations.

He helped Arsenal to 3 premier league titles, four FA cups and a champions league final in 2006.

In a way You could say Bergkamp helped bring totalvuebtol to England just like Cruijff brought it over to Spain. Cruijff's influence has been massive on world football and will always be a legend at Barcelona. Bergkamp's is obviously different at Arsenal, and it's hard to compare the two but it is interesting how much Arsenal's style changed with the arrival of the Non-Flying Dutchman.

Just found this video, looks interesting.

Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=gSbgVcUIgW0
Otownballer (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I was thinking of Bergkamp too. In addition to helping define Arsenal's style for their most successful period, he stayed longer than Henry. And I agree with your comment about his touch. It's hard to define, but he had consummate control of the ball in a way not many others have shown.

I also think Ashley Cole's transfer from Arsenal to Chelsea has been influential for the Blues, indeed. Several league titles, a couple champions league appearances and now a champions league trophy, and he's been first choice left back the whole time
Kgb112 (Footytube Moderator) 2 years ago
I think the current economic climate (marketing, branding, and how they impact and control fan populations) lends itself to making bigger superstars right now. At least, certainly more so than 15-20 years ago
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Denis Irwin.

Purcahsed from Oldham Athletic for £625, 000. Became United's, and arguably, the best LB in the league at the time, even after the Class of '92 stepped in. 22 league goals and 368 appearances for Man United in 12 years.

With Man United, he won the Premier League 7 times, the FA cup 3 times, and the famous Champions' League win in 1999.

We let him go for free, but Irwin was another one of United's best bargains we ever had. I'd rank Cantona first, Rooney second, and Iriwn third
Why would you rate Rooney ahead of Irwin?
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Simply because of Rooney's age and the potential he will bring to our game. He is only 27, and for sure he's ready to make a landmark for us at United. Irwin was good no doubt, but Rooney will surpass the accomplishments of Irwin and Cantona himself. Some will consider him a legend-type status for his work and contributions while at United, from the days he first started out at the club at a young age to now.

Hell, in that case, I should put Rooney as number one as best buys United ever made
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
Dennis is up there, a gem of a buy
Greengorilla1 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Cantona to United, Ronaldo to United, Lampard to Chelsea, are all good, but to be perfectly honest, in 5 years the answer is going to be Joe Hart to City - ridiculously low fee and once Buffon/Casillas are done he'll be the best goalkeeper in the world and stay at City forever...
Good foresight. I too can see Hart becoming known as the best, and that will undoubtedly increase City's already rapidly expanding status
Jiffymanutd (Manchester United) 2 years ago
You might not even need to go to five years. He's already an outstanding keeper!
Trev (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Or in 5 years it could be Sterling to Liverpool for peanuts...
Trev (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Or in 5 years it could be Sterling to Liverpool for peanuts...
I would also think that Rooney deserves a mention, as he has been a staple of Utd for years and still has years in front of him.

If he can keep playing at a high level for another 5 years for Utd, I think he will be a definite contender for this title. Even with his high price-tag....

What he has done for Utd both on and off the field has been huge. His branding, goals, leadership, and image kept Utd at the top of the EPL even through their biggest "transitional period" in decades.
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
But he was a £30m signing at 18, he wasnt really value for money then
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 2 years ago
^Players that play with the consistency that Rooney and Ronaldo do are worth their price no matter what the cost. Its hard to argue when a team pays so much money but gets results like the numbers Rooney and Ronaldo put up. Its fair to say RVP can be mentioned in the same breath
WHR, like I mentioned, I know he has a large price tag.... But he has more than paid it back.

I realize I list value as a factor in this discussion, and I do think it still applies.... But Rooney tops the charts in the other factors. He might not be the best transfer ever, but he is up there.

At this point, I think Rooney, Lampard, Henry, and Cantona are the four stand outs
NAOTA (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Probably Ronaldo for how much he was sold by and what he helped Utd achieve in his time there I'd say he's been the most influential. At least in the modern era. I mean 12 million and he was sold for what 80 million. That's absolutely nuts. I guess you could add Frank Lampard to the list seeing how he was bought for under 15 million and has scored over 150 goals for Chelsea. But that's just my opinion. Messi was bought from Newell Old Boys? Or something like that in Argentina for dirt cheap if they ever end up selling him if someone is crazy enough to try and bid for him and actually win it's going to definitely profit Barcelona. That's my 2 cents
Yea, I think the Ronaldo argument is a rather compelling one
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Just to make it clear Messi wasn't purchased or anything he was signed after Barcelona offered to pay for his medical treatments
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I just realize this is about the EPL only. My Cruijff dissertation and Messi counter-argument make no sense then
Haha, I wasn't even going to bring this up since it was still interesting. So no worries. We can expand the conversation to include other leagues as well
Olkjaer £1. 5m one of the prems greatest talents of the prem years and ever underated, a coup at such a price. Especially considering he scored the goal that won them the champions league in 99'. I'm in a rush but ill post more llater
Solskjaer*
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
He scored the goal against the scousers as well otherwise the treble would have ended up a motley single !
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 2 years ago
Best free transfer in recent years: Demba Ba West Ham > Newcastle. Even though it seems Pardew might sell him in January. He's been nothing short of amazing for Newcastle. Despite his slump in the second half of last year. His form is back again this season with 6 goals in 8 games in the PL tied with Michu for top scorer
Liquidator (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Frank Lampard.

Bought in 2001 for 11m pounds, Lampard has been the first name on the sheet for more than a decade. He deserves a mention purely for his longevity. When you add stats like 'third all-time highest goal scorer for the club', 'highest scoring midfielder' and 'second-highest number of assists in the PL era', it makes the case very strong. It is safe to say, if it wasn't for Lampard, Drogba wouldn't be the player he turned out to be
Excellent point!    Though in 2001, 11m was not a fee to scoff at!
I'm thinking about this more, and the more I think, the more I realize how important Lampard is.

He single-handidly raised Chelsea's pedigree, and has been a vital element in the many successes Chelsea has had since his arrival at the club. I think it is safe to say that he is a large piece of the catalyst that took Chelsea from a lower table club to a top-6 club in the early 2000's. And, if you are not aware, that transition is one of the reasons Roman even considered Chelsea. I think Lampard is largely to thank for raising the club to the level that Roman took notice of it. In which case, Lampard has a strong say in the title of best Barclay's Premier League transfer to date
Absolutely. I don't think non-Chelsea fans rate Lampard's influence on Chelsea as much as they should
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Well Ronaldo signed for 12m pounds, became the best player in the world, and led us to a champions league title along with 3 EPL titles. Then was sold for a huge profit at 80m.

That's some pretty good business if you ask me
I wasn't even thinking Ronaldo, but you managed to make a very strong case for him in two sentences. I actually think he is probably one of the best choices possible now.

Good call!
Might as well throw in the typical counter-argument then: Messi. It was luck that brought him to Barça, but it sure wasn't mere luck that made him evolve in the best player ever, winning countless games for us almost single-handedly, when the rest of his world class teammates couldn't do it.

I say he's the best ever, because I simply believe that if he were to retire today, no one at all could be considered better. Messi does everything Maradona ever could, except lead a team that well, but he's much, MUCH more prolific, runs with the ball more efficiently so he gets into scoring positions more, and his range of finishing chances is unparalleled. Then he also assists more goals in the world than anyone else. There used to be one single aspect of technical ability he didn't have aplenty yet, and that was free kicks, but recently he's become unbelievably good at them too.

Ronaldo is one of the best ever, perhaps even the second best, but I think he'll always have to bow down to Messi
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Lol well the title said "transfer ever made in the current era in the EPL" so I was just thinking Premier league, and also the the kind of transfers that's usually referred to, not youth academy.

However, even though my personal preference is Ronaldo. Messi should probably be considered the greatest ever because of what he accomplished combined with his ability, not Ronaldo. Unless Ronaldo leads Portugal to a world cup trophy or something.

Edit: I just saw your comment below anyways haha
I was surprised it took this long for Ronaldo's name to pop up after transfer values were mentioned but yah, Ronaldo is for sure one of the most influential. Teams had to change their gameplans when he played.

I think his legacy would have been much better had he not fallen down so often and so dramatically but there are few that are comparable to him
The transfer market now is incomparable to the transfers in the very old days (pre-90's), but I'd say Johan Cruijff's transfer from a multiple all-winning Ajax side to Barcelona is the most important transfer Barça has ever done. It started a life-long love affair between Barcelona and the Dutch school, it took the greatest player of that time and his coach to renew Barcelona, who were on a serious decline, and made them win it all again. Johan Neeskens is another one of those pivotal players, but his influence is always underrated.

Cruijff, Neeskens and of course Rinus Michels to Barça allowed the club to become what it is today. Thanks to their efforts and brilliant ideas, great players like Cruijff himself, Maradona, Romário, Guardiola, Laudrup, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and many more were able to blossom and become legends. The style of possession-based total football and the 4-3-3 Rinus Michels won so much with, changed football dramatically forever. It also won Michels the 'best coach of the century award' from FIFA, and rightly so
I agree with this analysis. I would even go so far as to say that I think world football has been largely shaped by Cruijff's transfer, not just Barce or La Liga
Some names which popped into my head, won't go into detail though.

Henry
Drogba
Vieira
Torres (Atletico to Liverpool)
Ronaldo
Cantona
Park Ji Sung (this one is of course not just about football)
I feel like Henry and Drogba could be compared directly for each other (only played for one club, huge impact, forward, et cetera). If you had to chose one or the other, who would you pick? Why?
Well Henry only played for one EPL club, he has played for Monaco, Juve and Barcelona as well. I'd say his Barcelona career would be notable as he won the treble with us with a pretty great goal tally too.

If I was given the choice of Henry and Drogba I'd choose Henry because he will go down as one of the greatest players ever while Drogba who is also good won't ever reach the same heights Henry did. Also Henry wasn't one for the theatrics or drama or anything, he was an honest player in my book
I would agree with that.

Henry made his mark solely by being an amazing forward.

Drogba made his mark by controlling the game from box to box. And this sometimes meant purposefully slowing the game or looking for penalties
@TheBarcaShow: Henry is a level above Drogba, because he was a better all-round footballer whereas Drogba was (still is) a dedicated center forward made for the Premier League in the 2000s.

I disagree with you about the whole 'Henry wasn't one for the theatrics or drama or anything'. You need to revisit a few moments from his Arsenal days and that moment against Ireland for France
You are comparing Henry's antics with Drogba's antics...
Drogba never qualified a national team for the World Cup with an intentional handball....

But, as I have already said in this thread, Drogba definitely used play acting a lot. More than I would like even.
I'd vote for Henry on this one anyday. Smooth, fast, creative. Not saying Drogba sucks because he's been the man for Chelsea but I'd still have to go for Henry
Fabby (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Henry hands down above Drogba anyday. He had everything a footballer needed, pace, strength, skills, technique, tenacity. Everything you'd want from a forward and on top of that he had vision, passing, shooting and was absolutely clinical in his finishing.

One of the world's best strikers to ever play the game, not to mention he has won everything literally in both club and international football

Kick4Life - changing lives through football