Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Is The Best Transfer Ever Made In The Current Era Of The EPL?
Kgb112 1 year ago
I think the current economic climate (marketing, branding, and how they impact and control fan populations) lends itself to making bigger superstars right now. At least, certainly more so than 15-20 years ago
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 1 year ago
I know he wasn't cheap at the time, but I have to go with Dennis Bergkamp. Everyone has been talking about Henry but Bergkamp was so instrumental to Arsenal's success. Arsenal had been struggling for a couple years after the glory days of the "boring, boring, 1-nil Arsenal", this turned around when Bergkamp came to the club. Of course a lot of this success has a lot to do with Arsene Wenger coming to the club as well, but Wenger and Dennis shared a similar philosophy about football and both had a huge influence.

Besides Zidane I don't know if any footballer in history has had a better, smoother, composed touch than Bergkamp. That may be a modern biased, and players like Ronaldinho come to mind, but there was just something about the way Berkgamp controlled the ball. My words don't really compare to Henry's himself, who called playing with Dennis, "a dream for a striker." Like many Dutch players his vision is usually just on another level than other players of his time, and again like many great Dutch players, he is ruthless and calm in front of the net. Iceman is an appropriate nickname for him, he reminds me of a hitman actually, remaining calm in tight situations.

He helped Arsenal to 3 premier league titles, four FA cups and a champions league final in 2006.

In a way You could say Bergkamp helped bring totalvuebtol to England just like Cruijff brought it over to Spain. Cruijff's influence has been massive on world football and will always be a legend at Barcelona. Bergkamp's is obviously different at Arsenal, and it's hard to compare the two but it is interesting how much Arsenal's style changed with the arrival of the Non-Flying Dutchman.

Just found this video, looks interesting.

Https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=gSbgVcUIgW0
Otownballer (Arsenal) 1 year ago
I was thinking of Bergkamp too. In addition to helping define Arsenal's style for their most successful period, he stayed longer than Henry. And I agree with your comment about his touch. It's hard to define, but he had consummate control of the ball in a way not many others have shown.

I also think Ashley Cole's transfer from Arsenal to Chelsea has been influential for the Blues, indeed. Several league titles, a couple champions league appearances and now a champions league trophy, and he's been first choice left back the whole time
MancYank (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Don't forget the goalkeepers: Peter Schmeichel. 505, 000 pounds for the best stopper England ever saw. The stats: Five Prem titles, Three FA Cups, one League Cup, and the Champions League. Top shelf guy for youth team money
MancYank (Manchester United) 1 year ago

Kick4Life - changing lives through football