Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
What CURRENT Pro Footballer Do You Most Respect?
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The player I respect most has to be Dimitar Berbatov. Talent aside, I really admire his humble personality and how he conducts himself in a respectable and professional manner on and off the pitch. Every interview I read or see is a testament to his character. He is very self-less and willing to sacrifice his personal success for that of the team.

Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Hard to argue against that one ryan, giggs is another one, or any player who has hung around the one club for years has to be respected, its all to easy to move around the clubs picking up massive commision on your sale.... Ie: carlos tevez, and theres loads more mercenarys like him
MUMatt (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Agreed, anyone who sticks with one team for their entire career shows dedication to me
SIMPLYGODS 3 years ago
I would have to say Messi is the player I respect most. Not just because he is the best player in the world but because he's extremely humble. He never takes credit for the goals he scores unless its his own work. Every time he scores he goes to the person who assists him first, thanks him, gives him the credit. Off the field he's still humble even though he's number one he's not all big headed, always gives credit to everyone. He never acts bigger than the sport which I love about him. In interviews even when he's asked how he feels about being number one he doesn't give himself credit. I can keep going on and on but yeah here's a small taste of what he says.

Link: fearofbliss.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/messi15120...
SIMPLYGODS 3 years ago
He's like*
Acphenom (Borussia Dortmund) 3 years ago
Berba is indeed The Man, although like many others, I've sensed an element of jealousy in his personality that seems to have popped-up a few times this season

I was actually discussing this topic on another forum yesterday, and I cited another Man Utd striker - Michael Owen. I think the case for him is best supported not by what he has or does but what he doesn't - you'll never catch him spiting other players or teams or acting bitterly or selfishly. He understands his role in a team and gives his all on the rare occasion his services are asked of him. Top guy
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Scott Parker for me, but maybe I'm just eating up the media appreciation  
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Good shout bryan, he's a pro's pro
Ah yes scott parker is class. Another quiet and reserved player who represents the game well
Atrixer (Norwich City) 3 years ago
Hard to say, Berbatov, Michael Owen, Stephen Gerrard, Scott Parker and Thierry Henry, just to name a few
I used to really enjoy thierry henry, exclusively when he was at arsenal seeing how much respect and gratitude he showed towards the supporters. After the hand ball incident he went down in my eyes but that's a whole different argument
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Agreed. Especially when you look at how he celebrated Gallas` goal. His reaction said it all
MUMatt (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Is it me, or do most former Arsenal players sho nothing but respect for the club and Wenger? I think obviously Nasiri may be a different story and Gallas I suppose but I cant' recall anyone every really trashing Arsenal when they leave
BagiK (FC Seoul) 3 years ago
Park Ji Sung, if he was English (or at least spoke fluent English ) I bet everyone would see him as a role model. Henry seems like a cool guy but I've seen him act like a complete twat a few times
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Definitely one of those workaholic team players, who doesn't attract attention to himself. I would add Ivica Olic and Dirk Kuyt
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
These are players who play with their hearts, the give their all for their team, certainly deserve all the plaudits. They tend to be underrated due to their more technically gifted teammates, but they deserve every bit of respect that anyone can give.

To add to the list, Gattuso, he sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him, but this is the clearest evidence of his commitment to the game. I don't think I've seen a player with more passion than Gattuso, albeit he sometimes goes overboard with his temper. But since he has nothing but the interests of his club in his heart, I'm calling him as the one I respect the most
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
1.)ryan giggs for being through and through manchester  2.)for same reasons stevn gerrard and totti
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Totti easily could have moved to Madrid or any other giants, and considering his stratospheric talent, he'd have been swimming in a pool of silverware now.
Now that's loyalty. It's fashionable for people to call him a brat for his on-field tantrums, but it's just plain ignorant to not see his loyalty
REDDevil98 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Aside from Giggs and Gerrard. Totti is probably one of those player I really respect, his dedication to the club is very admirable, even to this day he still show that he is Roma best player such consistency for a player
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Xavi Hernandez. The guy is smart on the pitch, smart off the pitch and will fend the Barca colours until he dies.

When he was behind players like Deco and Ronaldinho (and before that) Milan wanted to sign him and presented an extremely attractive offer which included a first team place he turned it down. His reasoning behind it was because Milan wasn't Barca and he couldn't play for another team. After a couple of years in the shadows of Ronaldinho and Deco, the great Xavi emerges and leads the team to the first Spanish treble in history.

Another player I really admire is Mascherano. I know he has had problems with West Ham and with Liverpool but Mascherano is just the best at handling the press. His leadership and his great public speaking shows brightly when Barcelona became the target of attacks from Madrid.

This is what he said after the Arsenal 2nd leg:
"Barca always win due to the referee, never because of their play, not because they had 19 shots on goal, or for having 74% of the possession or completing 900 passes....
Lets not be hypocrites. We didn't allow them them to breathe, that was the key. We played like Barca and that's why we qualified. "
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Steven Gerrard, the man's an absolute legend. Captain fantastic, always class on the pitch giving every ounce of his energy making amazing tackles, setting up teammates with a world class pass or hitting screamers from 30 yards. But it isn't Stevie's ability I admire so much, it his spirit, scoring late winners, rescuing points, lifting his team, the perfect captain, the miracle in Istanbul, equalizing against West Ham in the F. A. Cup, olympiacos ahhhhh YOUR beauty, he just done it again and again.

Off the field he is humble and isn't arrogant, a quality you need to have to play the way he does. He is a Liverpool icon and you can sense his love and passion for the club, and getting into an occasional bar fight to me is way better than cheating on your wife and jeopardizing your whole family.

The Messiah, what can be said about this man's character, a genius of football, so soft spoken and probably one of the most humble grounded athletes in the world. Still one of the funniest videos I have seen is when he was just plastered on the bus after the 2009 champions league final I believe it was, trying to grab inflatable lollipops or whatever it was, giving his speech hahaa, not something I think he would normally do but great to see that side of him, it wasn't like he was being offensive
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Andrea Pirlo
The ultimate personification of humbleness, class and sublimeness.
Never seen this man dive, argue with players, complain or whine to the ref/managers, heck, haven't even seen him celebrate a goal with any fragment of audacity or arrogance.
Nor has been stuck in any sorts of controversies or scandals. Truly a great human being.

Modern day footballers, I'm looking at you now...
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
I agree with pragathish, pirlo is one of the humblest player in morden football
Peteko 3 years ago
I'd say Edwin van der Sar, but I am not sure if he would count now. His retirement seems irreversible. Ryan Giggs also enjoys my respect and admiration.

I am not sure about Berba. Great player, but too much sighs and making faces for my taste.

Parker is a rare gem. Any club trying to buy him now?

I would have said also Gareth Barry, but his move to City has left a very bad taste. In my mind, if you're the captain, you can't leave. You go down with the sinking ship. Not to mention that Villa were not sinking, but living their best year in some time, when he was lured by City's money. Pity. Otherwise, he would have been among the best.

I think, despite some incident, Gerrard is up there with the best. You notice a great pro when the team are not doing well. Gerrard kept Liverpool through two difficult years
Jimmyjack (Schalke 04) 3 years ago
The footballer I most respect at the minute is lionel messi he is the best player in the world he deserves to be he has great talent
Dedlite (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
I would disagree with the OP. Re. Berba. Here's why;

Toward the end of the 2007-2008 and the first month of 08-09, Berba made it very clear that he wanted to go to Man Utd, and demonstrated this by sulky behaviour, waving his arms around frantically when he didn't get the ball, and when he did he purposely didn't coorperate with the team - that's why he was dropped in the first month of the 2008-2009. (That and Fergie's tapping up make it worse)
I understand the disappointment with Berba from a Spurs fan perspective
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Gattuso cos I don't want to mess with him.
Ps:i added
1. Xavi 2. Messi 3. Gerrard

They just like the soul of the team. Secondly, their great personality off the pitch
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Anyone that stays with their club for a HUGE amount of time
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
Even when their club is sucky

Kick4Life - changing lives through football