Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Vending Machine Approach To (EPL) Managers
Lifeguard 2 years ago
Chelsea, Liverpool, and Tottenham are just three EPL clubs to recently have hired and fired managers repeatedly in the last season and a half. Chelsea seems to have a new face on the sidelines every time I sit down to watch them play, and Tottenham and Liverpool's manager woes continue as well.

In contrast, teams like Arsenal won't fire their manager even if he starts off a season with an 8-2 loss to Manchester United and struggles to string together wins. And United under Sir Alex Ferguson have consistently topped the league standings for several years in a row.

Is the constant rotation of managers good for a team? Or is having patience and faith in the guy you've got the key to long-term success and results? Will it work for Arsenal? Or will Chelsea, Tottenham, and Liverpool figure it out before Wenger does?
Alfrodo (Barcelona) 2 years ago
I think this topic is interesting but it deserves a better metaphor. May I suggest paper vs cloth towels?
[account-removed] 1 year ago
I am a little confused. I know that as a club, Tottenham haven't exactly been stable with their managers, but one and a half years? Martin Jol was there from 2004 - 2007, followed by a blunderous campaign with Ramos, and in 2008 - 2012, there was Redknapp. So even if you take an average, it'd be 2 years 8 months average in the last 8 years.

With regards to AVB, I think its just the newspapers writing things up. As a Tottenham supporter, I feel I can give a better perspective of the goings on within the camp, and it is quite positive. This is a season of transition. People talk of the departures of Modric and VDV, but the main loss has been the retirement of Ledley King, our captain on and off the field. We've had pretty much season long injuries to our regular defenders, Kaboul (most of our player of the season last time around), and Assou Ekotto. That's 3 out of 4 defenders we've had to change, all very experienced defenders and leaders. To add to our woes, Parker got injured in the Euros and has finally made his first 5 minutes appearance last weekend.

We're having to play our bench to this day. And we're 4th. In a season of transition from our main playmakers, to reshape the squad so extensively due to the Redknapp effect (everywhere he goes, the squad becomes increasingly old, and the new manager will need to buy a lot of new players and let expensive and old players go out on a free), this is a pretty good outcome so far.

I think its the same with Liverpool. They're 12th at the moment, but just 7 points away from the top 3. That's how tight things are, and they're facing a similar problem where some really expensive flops are still plaguing the squad, and Rodgers is doing his best to get by through a bare bones squad, having to bring in players from the U21 team to make the bench.

Remember Arsenal's poor start last season, and the season before that? Infact, a few weeks ago, Arsenal supporters were worried to see their team down in 10th. Now they're up, fighting for that very open 3-4th spot. That's the EPL. Unfortunately, there seems to have been a gap that's opened up between the Manchester clubs and the rest of the league. There are plenty of financial implications and why this has happened over the years. However, one thing is for sure. The Spurs forum here at the very least is fully behind the manager and I don't think we'll see any further merry go rounds. I believe that Liverpool would achieve better results by sticking with Rodgers as well

Kick4Life - changing lives through football