Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
UEFA Should Be Applauded In Attempting To End The Madness
Footytubeblog (Blog) 1 year ago
The football landscape is changing and as UEFA’s New FFP rulings looks to be implemented within the next 12 months, certain clubs will have to revaluate their business and the way they operate. I believe common sense is finally prevailing within the game, although there are many out there that clearly beg to differ.

I appreciate that many see it as intrusive and not in the best interest of the game. Martin Samuel suggested in his column this week that the FFP will see the death of ambition and wealth being ploughed into the game, due to the possible penalties stipulated if any club dare breach them. The likes of Samuel obviously would sooner see a predictable Premier League, where the clubs with the rich owners continue to challenge for the title season in and season out, rather than see an even playing field that UEFA are trying to create. I get the fact that the bigger clubs in the country are still likely to generate the greater revenues, but the point is that the FFP and the enforcing of squad quotas will see them being reined in a little bit. It is hardly a negative is it – if anything it’s encouraging for the majority in football.

The reason I champion the new initiatives is largely down to my view that you don’t need to spend big to be competitive. Newcastle United is the shining example of what can be achieved by putting belief in your scouting team, spending at a budget and not buying into this ridiculous notion that big money signings guarantee success. Look at the extortionate amount of millions that have been wasted in the last two years by certain clubs and the subsequent return they have received.

Mike Ashley is still ridiculed in some quarters in Newcastle, despite the phenomenal amount of work that he is put in and transformed a football club that was haemorrhaging money at will, to a well oiled unit that is now back among the Premier League elite in a matter of years. This after all is the man who dared to sell a local hero like Andy Carroll (who only had months of Premier League experience) for £35m and subsequently used it in the following months to buy Ba, Santon, Cisse, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and still come out with change. There is no question which club got the better end of that deal and in many ways highlights my point perfectly.

Of course Newcastle aren’t the only example across Europe and you can cite the progress of such clubs like Borussia Dortmund or Lille in recent years, who have more than highlighted that shrewd purchasing and good coaching can land the game’s top prizes - therefore you cannot be hindered by having a lack of spending power. While Samuel may feel that we can all look at Manchester City as the last example of a club in England who can be transformed as a football power in a the matter of the years, I utter the words ‘thank God’ - after all it is the teams like the City and Chelsea’s of this world that has gone some way in creating the financial madness (in terms of transfer fees and wages) that football has become. Fair play to UEFA for making a stand; it’s just a shame it has taken so long.

Blog by Dean Wyatt

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.

Aufgehtsbayern (Bayern München) 1 year ago
Bundesliga's 50+1 rule should be implemented
OddSpud (Borussia Dortmund) 1 year ago
Could you please elaborate of this rule? I am not familiar with it
Barracuda (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Yeah same, i'd like to know more about it
Dc1913 (Everton) 1 year ago
More like 50-1. Basically there can't be a majority owner (50% or >) of a club, no sheiks etc.... Although I'm not sure why minority partner couldn't invest a huge amount...
Peteko 1 year ago
Hum. I agree in principle. But how long before the richest owners of the biggest clubs join together for a cup of their own which in comparison to UEFA's Champions League will look like World Cup to Olympics' football.
Football is getting more global and more popular and the big money is noticing it. The barbarians are coming, armed with their big purses and no committee rules will stop them.
But, yes, UEFA can delay the unavoidable take over. And kudos to them for taking a stand
Nicoacademia (AC Milan) 1 year ago
FPP should be pegged to how much free cash clubs have.
If Middle east oil wants to put a 100billion into a clubs coffers but due to yet to be developed revenue, can't spend as much, then there's no sense to it.

In fact FPP should penalise clubs with bad debt ratios instead.

Anyway, financial markets will punish such clubs anyway. Man Utd are walking a tight tightrope
T11D (Manchester City) 1 year ago
I agree that UEFA had to do something, but one thing about the FFP should be made clear: It was not designed to level the playing field, or keep the nouveau riche (ie Chelsea, Man City, PSG) from dominating; far from it.

The FFP was built to help owners of "average" wealth (worth £10-20 million, say) from drowning their clubs and themselves in debt. The mega-rich clubs will do just fine generating profits with their larger stadiums, larger fan-bases, and immense contracts with sponsors (see: any Nike or Adidad sponsorship, Man United's DHL training kit deal, or of course the infamous £400 million Etihad deal).

In the long run, The FFP could actually have the adverse effect of creating a bigger disparity between the top clubs and the average teams
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
I agree with a lot of the comments here in that the ruling could actually widen the gap between the top clubs and everyone else as it will not allow clubs 'gamble'.

On saying this I support (Southampton) a club that paid the price for gambling and ended up in administration and relegation to the third tier of English football after a 10 point penalty. We (Southampton) were very very lucky and ended up being bought out by an owner that has developed the club and invested wisely and has brought us back to the Premier league in 3 seasons.

Going into administration is scarily common these days but it does tend to lead to a last minute buyout and the saving of the club which lends a false sense of security to the situation. Portsmouth are currently in administration for the second time and are seeking a new owner they have also slid into League One on the back of the penalty. Unlike Southampton, Portsmouth have an ageing stadium and little or no youth development which coupled with their current league position is making a buyer hard to find and the prospect of Portsmouth being dissolved and no longer existing as a club is a very real one.

So if FFP stops clubs from disappearing I am all for it because I am damn sure if you asked a supporter of Rushden and Diamonds, Farsley Celtic or Chester City if they would rather be worse off than Man Utd or have their club back the answer would be the latter

Kick4Life - changing lives through football