Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Tottenham Leave Me Short Changed...Again
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
I normally take what Harry Redknapp says with regards to transfers with a pinch of salt, but for some reason I truly believed his suggestion that the only business the club would be undertaking in January was to bring in one or two special signings that will give Tottenham every chance to challenge both Manchester clubs in their title pursuit. It just seemed plausible that Spurs wouldn’t waste the opportunity to strengthen the squad to ensure they had every chance. Not for the first time I have felt short changed by the football club and I doubt it will prove the last.

Unfortunately Tottenham have a habit of wasting gilt edge opportunities (probably why Adebayor is the perfect fit at WHL) and this January is nothing new. Only 12 months ago when the club found themselves in the top four and riding high in the Champions League, the need for a striker was of paramount importance and yet all we did was bring in Steven Pienaar. Of course in the days after the window we heard of failed pursuits of Aguero, Llorente and Rossi among others, but the club’s continued need for a transfer bargain ensured that we missed out on key players again. We finished 5th and crashed out of the Champions League and supporters were left to wonder ‘if only’. A year on the same mistakes have been made and we are left to reflect on a transfer window where we have replaced the fit quartet of Corluka, Bassong, Pienaar and Pavlyuchenko, with the injury prone duo Ryan Nelsen and Luis Saha, whilst snapping up the youngster Yago Falque - who has subsequently been sent on loan to Southampton. Confused? I certainly was, as I failed to see how weakening a squad is beneficial, especially when the club have the best opportunity to challenge for a title since 1990.

It really does beggars belief as to quite why Spurs undertook the policy they did and I think you will be hard-pressed to find a Tottenham supporter who can give a logical explanation for it. Is (1 goal in 14 games) Saha really a better attacking option than Pavlyuchenko? Is Ryan Nelsen (a player Blackburn paid to get off their books) a better replacement than Sebastien Bassong? And let’s not mention how Steven Pienaar (a player that Redknapp said an hour before the window shut wouldn’t be going anywhere as we hadn’t signed a suitable replacement) was allowed to further weaken the depth of our squad. If anyone wishes to justify it then I’ll happily listen to it, because I can’t get my head round it.

Unfortunately since Damien Comolli left the football club, we have failed to be as efficient in the transfer market. It is understandable as Daniel Levy has plenty on his plate, but our ability to get players in and out of the club always seems to be a dragged out affair. We conducted some good business in the summer don’t get me wrong, but they were hardly the most complex deals to secure given the player’s circumstances. No doubt in the coming week it will all be revealed how close the club came to signing player X, Y and Z, but just failed to cross the line. It is a huge frustration to say the least, especially given how well the football club is developing on the pitch. A couple of top drawer signings could have made a hell of a difference in the run in and given us the impetus to take the club over the line; instead we will have to make do with a squad that has become subsequently weakened in the transfer window. Not quite the January window I was expecting, and I wait to see if Tottenham fans will be saying ‘if only’ come the end of the season.

Blog by Roy James

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
Jerrold777 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Where does Tottenham get the money to buy all these players?! I always thought that they weren't a "big club. "
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
The only top players Tottenham will sign are players that top clubs don't want anymore.
William Gallas, Van Der Vaart, Adeboyar (loan)
Parker was a good signing from West Ham though.

All these players weren't expensive. Tottenham made some very good buy.

My main point is that Tottenham signed good enough players to get into the top 4 clubs but they need better players to challenge for the title. Gallas wasn getting older and not good enough for Arsenal anymore. Van der Varrt is not good enough for Real Madrid. Adeboyar is not good enough for Man City. But they are good enough for Tottenham? I have nothing against those players though.... I believe that Van der Vaart is an awesome player and I will prefer Adeboyar over Dzeko at City. Anyway, Tottenham will need another defender and actually buy Adeboyar next season in order to compete in the Champions League and League title next season. Their midfield look pretty strong with Bale, Modric, Parker, Lannon or whoever play on the right side.

I don't think that Tottenham is good enough to win the title this season. But if they stay consistent and let City and United slip against other teams, they have a chance to win it
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think Van der Varrt is a special player. I think Madrid made a mistake letting him leave. In 2008 he was nominated for the Ballon d'Or! Tottenham got a bargain for him (8m, is that right?). And when he isn't in the squad they miss that linkup play from the midfield to the forwards
Jerrold777 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
THEY GOT VDV FOR 8m?!?! I can't believe that Arsenal didn't try to buy him! GEEZ
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think that was the amount haha. But I remember thinking, why the hell aren't Arsenal making a bid for him?!
121barca 2 years ago
I think I will back harry with his decision to sign Saha as back up, experienced and underrated as usually there is a famine in Everton midfield when it comes to feeding the ball to strikers, I think he will prove himself more useful with you guys, but the rest is really mystery, may be harry is conceding...
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I think that they didn't need saha and defoe does a fine job already. They should had saved the money to buy adeboyar

Kick4Life - changing lives through football