Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Torres Definite He Wants To Go . . . Where . . . To Chelsea!
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Torres is prepared to leave Liverpool to move to premiership rivals Chelsea. It seems like Torres has made up his mind but will it happen in the January transfer window or will he stay to the end of the season or is this just another negotiating ploy by a big named player.

According to Torres this is the best for all concerned.

But Kenny Dalglish and Gerrard must be disappointed or will they be happy with a new signing of Suarez and some money in the bank to strengthen the squad even further.

I wonder how Chelsea's front-line players and fans will feel?
Seanf24 (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
I do not mind, cos he's a world class striker.
What team would not want such a player....
He's welcome at Chelsea and the players from Chelsea would welcome him too.
There's no doubting he's a world class striker but somebody will have to make way for him and somebody might end up getting transferred in any deal - Kalou or Sturridge maybe
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
As for me, I partially want Torres.... But not for any reason other than to laugh at Liverpool fans lol. Throughout the week, they kept banging about how Torres will never go to a club with 'no history' guess they were wrong But another part of me does not want Torres, because of the reported 50m Roman is willing to spend, and I still have my concerns about his form, and above his injury issues scare me to death
Perhaps his lack of form was due to his, what is now clear, obvious unhappiness. But this then brings into question his attitude - you want players who can grit things out and perform well even though everything is not all right - don't you? I think it would give the lift and competition that Chelsea need right now
It's difficult to understand why Torres wouldn't be looking forward to an attack with himself, Suarez, Gerrard and Kuyt in it - surely he would benefit and Liverpool would be a stronger, champions league contending side
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I don't think a new striker should be our clubs top priority. Especially if that new striker is going to cost us anything more than 40m. In my opinion chelsea should have concentrated more on the signing of defensive players like luiz instead of letting the deal collapse and suddenly at the last moment deciding to bid for torres. With only 3 days left it now looks unlikely we will get anyone before the window closes
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Chelsea aint gonna' get him, if I was torres I would fly to madrid obviously first for the money, and second becouse with torres, real will have a really strong team next season. Also liverpool can benefit from a 60 maybe 70million fee
Apparently Torres has a 50 million get out clause but it doesn't come into effect until the end of the season
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well Real Madrid do want a striker, but I doubt Torres wants to go there, especially because of the rivalry with Atletico. He has 3 options imo, Stay at Liverpool and work with Suarez to get Pool' back to the top. Go to Chelsea, and lead Roman's charge for the Champions league. Or go to City for the money. I personally think he will take the 1st option, but I will not be surprised if he opts for the 2nd
What about barca? They could sell a few players and make an even better squad
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
AI don't think He fits with Barca, plus they already have a bunch of attacking talent that's used to each other
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I don't mind seeing Torres at Chelsea. But Torres is not worth that much. The only reason his price tag is so much is b/c of his form over a year ago. Chelsea has got to consider how easily he get injure and his form this season.
I don't mind letting Liverpool keeping Torres. They will be a strong team next season but that will be another 2yrs until Torres and Gerrard get to play in the Champions League again
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ah what an up and down season it has been for us, more down than usual haha. But this was a real punch in the gut, just when we get the great news about Suarez, Torres comes out with this. I really hope he stays, he is a great player and a fan favorite, but that is the nature of the game in this era, you got to have more money than you know what to do with, and you have to be with a "successful" club, loyalty, character what's that? Sad sad happenings, I don't know if he will ever be viewed in the same light if he stays, unless he just makes a statement saying he wants to take it back and it was just a misunderstanding.

If he goes, I hope it's not to Chelsea, better than United, but other than that, the worst. If he does go, who do you think would be a good replacement for him? I would like to see a young player like a Stefan Keissling or Giussepe Rossi, a player with quality who can finish. I like Rossi because he can create, good with both feet, but he has a fantastic left foot, we need a left sided player to give us some balance. Keissling has a great goal scoring ratio, or he did last season, I haven't really been following his progress this year, he looks to be a good player though, physical and clinical inside the box. When does this rule about English players or homegrown players go into effect? Maybe we should invest in an English player. Andy Caroll, I like him at Newcastle though, do they have to be English or just British? Many of the all time greats have been British at Liverpool, Dalglish from Scotland, Rush from Wales, and obviously Fowler and Gerrard from the Merseyside. I can't really think of any real good, young English strikers at the moment though, Caroll is a great player, left footed, target man, finish with both feet and his head and a smart footballing mind.

Ideally Torres will stay, and will be forgiven, but people are already calling him judas and a traitor, I don't think he will ever have the spirit of the fans back
Being a fellow supporter even though it's for a rival team, I really feel for you and for all of us supporters who have been in this position. This is a very honest post. There are very few modern footballers who display any significant degree of loyalty but I also think that fans have very little loyalty, if any, to players - only to their club.

Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
Sorry bro about losing the great Torres.... Major loss. I feel your pain...
Well liverpool have upped their demand to 50m so its looks unlikely chelsea will close a deal before the end of the window. But torres leaving isn't exactly going to be a complete disaster for liverpool. Suppose he does leave and liverpool get their 50m, there is a lot a club can do with even 35m and 50m would give liverpool a lot of spending power to strengthen all areas of the team and buy some of the players they have been eyeing for a while
I agree, there are some positives in this developing situation. Liverpool already have what seems to be a capable replacement and 35 - 50 million to spend in team strengthening plus a decent quality player like Anelka or a player with potential like Kalou might be quite a decent deal. Anelka and Suarez up front and 35 mil to buy two or three other strong players could really make Liverpool genuine champions league place and even EPL title contenders.

I think the deal can go ahead at 50 million if it's appropriately structured - the challenge is for the clubs and players to agree a structure and terms IN TIME. I can see, for instance a 35 mil in cash + Anelka + 5 million in installments or according to performance type of agreement.

The negative thing for Liverpool is that they will have to wait till the summer to make further player purchases.

See the following article

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpoo...
Liverpool will sell Torres to Chelsea for Anelka + 40m.

Link: www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/854103-nicolas-anel...
Which two or three or four players should Liverpool get with 40 million pounds to spend?
Nicop46 (Aston Villa) 3 years ago
I don't think he will because there are already too many strikers in chelsea's team, he should definitively stay in liverpool
It would be as if liverpool got suarez for free plus a 20m profit and anelka if he joins. Now that's an offer I'm sure the liverpool board couldn't refuse
Kokm1 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Anelka shouldnt leave though. He's quality!
Its preety much done and dusted. Chelsea enjoy it. But please keep united from winning the title next year! Then I'm a happy liverpool fan
Liverpool and Chelsea agree fee and are awaiting medical according to BBC sport - no details as yet of who else, if anybody, is involved.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9380667.stm...

Also Liverpool look like they intend spend some of the proceeds on Andy Caroll who IMO is over priced
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I wouldn't knock him down. He is young and powerful. Look how often he has scored this season and imagine what he can do with the right service. I think Newcastle made a big mistake by letting him go,
I'm definitely not knocking Caroll I was just saying he is overpriced not overrated. 35million for a player who was in division 1 last season and has only played half of a season in the premiership is too much! David Silva, WC winner, league winner etc etc was 34 mil whilst Andy Caroll is 35 - madness.

At this rate If United get Chicarito a british passport we can sell him for 60 mil tomorrow!
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I absolutely agree that Carroll was overpriced, but the Torres affair dragged on to the point Liverpool had to make a purchase quickly
Badger405 (Leeds United) 3 years ago
Liverpool should let torres leave no point keeping a player that doesn't want to be at the club so may as well get as much for him as possible and buy some players that want to be at club

Kick4Life - changing lives through football