Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Top 5 Transfers For This Season (So Far)
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Which five players do you think will have the greatest impact on their new teams this season?

1) David Villa to Barcelona (34.2 million)
We all know how great David Villa has been for Spain, but this is his chance to shine for a big club.

2) Mario Balotelli to Manchester City (22.5 million)
This young Italian striker has phenomenal potential with his new club. Being only 19, Mancini should be able to put him to good use.

3) Yaya Toure to Manchester City (28 million)
Yaya was a huge part of Barcelona's success last season. Hopefully he can do well at City.

4) Khedira to Real Madrid (undisclosed)
This German star should do well at Madrid. We will see how he fits in with Ronaldo and Kaka.

5) Ramires to Chelsea (17 million)
Another young star has been signed! This Brazilian midfielder should help Chelsea defend their title.

Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
How about the unknown bebe to man utd? ^^
Maybe although I still think he needs a couple more years before he actually starts for Man united.

Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Nice top 5, but I would definitely add Marouane Chamakh to it. Both on the financial level and on the sporting level it's a great signing. He's definitely a good player, but the fact that he's free is what made this transfer to be one of the best in this summer I think.

And, although you can never be sure with creatures like him, I think Balotelli is going to flop hugely, just like Robinho did. I don't like guys like him, who are unpredictable, unstable, unprofessional and basically are just lucky to have talent. The real stars have talent, but also develop it by training a LOT, working hard to become better, step by step. Players like Ronaldo (who Ferguson claimed was one of the best professionals he'd ever worked with), Messi, Xavi or Iniesta are the best in the world, but they also work hard and are ultimately great professionals above all.
Only then can a raw talented player become a star, by harvesting what countless hours of training based on that talent has brought you. And Balotelli just won't unless he dramatically changes his attitude
LWe will see how Chamakh does when Arsenal play Liverpool. It is very posssible that Wenger will not start him
Coolcontrast (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Chamakh is getting into really good positions.... He seemes so buzy in every game.... I reckon he'd be firing on all cylinders this season...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I agree with you on Balotelli; not enough time spent on the field to even begin paying back the numerous investments put into him.... And now he's back in Italy for surgery I hear? Yeah, he's a career club-floated I believe....

Chamakh is a great signing. Arsenal have another striker! Finally!

(And on Fergie's Ronaldo comment- I think we can actually agree he IS a professional as far as his work ethic. You just can't be that fit or that good without putting for the effort. But in his United days he was, on the majority, immature. Not the perfect professional in his field, but who really is these days?)
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
He headed back to Italy, popped his head out of the hospital window and shouted "Forza Milan!" and sang the Milan anthem.
So, I'm not gonna' be harsh on that kid

He is a monster-not sure how he'll do in the Prem, but if he were in an Italian club that respects him, he will show dangerous a monster he is
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
What? You're kidding me? Well, kind of childish, I'd say. That's not the behavior of a grown-up. I wouldn't want him in my team that's for sure. No matter if he is a talent. You need serious people when you build a team.
He is Mancini's greatest bet in this season
Hey!Its not childish, whats wrong in shouting the anthem of the team you supported from your childhood?!  Maybe I'm biased....
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
He meant Balotelli's childish. And I do agree, based on the amount of trouble he caused at Inter. But what piques my curiosity is why Jose hadn't discarded him in the first place, it must mean that he's highly talented and important to the team. So, might go here or there, we'd never know
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
What about Silva?
I don't think silva will make an impact on city until he gets a chance to gel with his teammates. Maybe next season
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Jermaine Beckford. After running circles around defenders in the lower leagues for years, a Premiership manager has finally decided to take a very low risk free signing. Although I don't think it's a risk at all. See him plying his trade at Everton in 10/11. These are just some of his goals.

4 years ago
Have watched all of Evertons games this season and Beckford has looked woefully out of his depth. He could quickly disappear from the Everton team if he doesn't stop sulking and start playing. He's the kind of player that turns it on for the TV cameras though, so lets see how he gets on against Villa now...
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 4 years ago
What a flop. Poor poor me and my prediction.

I still believe he can do a good job if given extended game time. We have seen so little of what I think he can achieve, although that's his problem. So much of Jermaine Beckford's game depends on simply guiding the ball in, often from short distance and loose balls landing at his feet. He's a ninety minute player, he needs the trust
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Mario Balotelli to Manchester City (22. 5 million)

I havent actually ever been impressed by him, apart from a few free kicks. I think he could get worst signing of the season, just because of his price and will he actually ever play?

Yaya Toure to Manchester City (28 million)

Him and Silva looked so rubbish yesterday because they couldn't handle the pace of the EPL. I still think he will be the best signing for Manchester City though.

Tribalwars (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Money wise these transfers look good.... Big names, proven record and they are good in their respective playing positions. But I think MAME biram diouf can be one of transfers of the season even if its just a loan move. Scored in friendly against Hearts, scored a hat-trick against Norwich City in a carling cup and then again today in Blackburn's defeat against Arsenal on his first ever premier league start
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Ibrahimovic to AC Milan for 24 million €! That's the best transfer of the decade!

Pato-Ibrahimovic-Ronaldinho

Try to stop us.... AHAH
I think its a loan move.... But they do have an option of buying him outright from Barcelona for 24 million like you said.... I don't know if they bought him already...
M4rsenal (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yes that's a loan-spell. Milan won't pay nothing, but at the end of the season they'll buy him and offer a 4-year-contract.

That was a smart move from Milan. So they can see in this first season wheater to offer him a contract or not
Smart move by Baldie
4 years ago
1) Craig Bellamy to Cardiff
2) Kasper Schmeichel to Leeds
3) Chamakh to Arsenal
4) Soldado to Valencia
5) Rafael Márquez to NYRB
Ltm017 4 years ago
Rafa is good for New York it was that time
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
1. Joe cole to liverpool - I know he hasn't had the best of starts, but once he gets going, liverpool will be quite the force this season.

2. Marouane chamakh to arsenal - this is exactly the player arsenal needs. A good finisher who is physically strong and fast. Van persie is good, but this guy can actually go into challenges without being hurt. He also has quite the nose for goal. Expect arsenal to challenge on all fronts, and maybe actually win something this year.

3. Yaya toure to manchester city - yaya is an absolutely fantastic player all around. He is great in the tackle, knows his positioning very well and can score some vitally important goals out of nothing. Great pick up by manchester city, though they may have payed a bit much for his services.

4. Ramires to chelsea - while I don't expect to see this box-to-box midfielder starting for us right away, we can already see the effects of his signature. Mikel is at top form in trying to keep his starting spot which means essien is still being given a more attacking role. Ramires adds HUGE amounts of depth to our team as well as he is able to play just about anywhere on the pitch and we finally have a suitable replacement for essien if he turns up injured again.

5. Ricardo carvalho to real madrid - if he can stay fit, madrid will do more than well this season. All who watched portugal in this years world cup surely had their jaws drop at his performances. It shouldnt take long for him to settle with mourinho at the helm and expect to see madrid with one of the toughest defenses to penetrate this year
David Villa scored a goal on his La Liga debut for Barcelona. Now that's a transfer
But I guess that was coming. A quality player with quality all around him will score. Now its a frightening prospect for every team in Europe. They were already so great now with the coming in of Villa who knows what heights they will reach
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
If they all do play to the full potential with now Villa. I'm worried for the rest of the world
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
It was acually a great transfer, unlike ibra
I think its got to do with the fact from which league the player is moving in to which league.... The styles of play vary with every league.
I would not rate ibra at the same level as villa but ibra is a good player.... One season doesn't define a player...
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
AC Milan was the most clever. Ibra and robhino in the last hours. For me, the transfer of the summer because everybody thought that Milan had no money....
Madrid and city wanted ibra, Chelsea and Barcelona wanted robihno and AC Milan have recovered both players.

Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
We'll see now how that will work for them. Robinho is a particular player. He can excel but only in certain environment. On paper of course, Milan made two major moves.

I would add that other impressive transfers worth mentioning are Ozil to Real, Villa to Barca, and Balotelli to City (will see how this will work).

Another name that is worth mentioning, is Millner who passed from Villa to City. Maybe not a world star yet, but certainly someone to watch over in his great rise as a player
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
Many of the players who move to madrid fade into obscurity before being sold off, I don't think that khedira will make that much of an impact in madrid. Don't get me wrong he's a player for the future but his style of football suits italy and germany not spain

Kick4Life - changing lives through football