Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Unsung Heroes
BlahUnited (Manchester United) 4 years ago
6 months ago I would have said Darren Fletcher. Now, however, the whole Manchester United team except one player seems to be unsung.

Wayne Rooney is a fantastic player, but all the players that set up his goals never seem to get any credit. It's understandable, seeing as though he is English and this is England, but I always see people and newspapers saying things like "Rooney Won It For United".

I'm happy to see that now there are a few United players getting the credit they deserve, like Nani and Valencia. But there are still other that very few people notice, players such as Scholes, Giggs, Anderson, Park and Gibson.

Although he was a bit dodgy last season, our most consistant unsung player has to be the ever-green Patrice Evra, now back to his best.

Also, special mentions to Van Der Sar who, for someone who is 39, is still a fantastic player
Keyrock (Chelsea) 4 years ago
@BayernBaller

Spot on mate. The unsung heroes are the ones who let go of their personal ego's and do what is necessary for the team to function better.
And in that respect, I believe Nicolas Anelka for Chelsea has been a truly unsung hero this season. He scored 25 goals last season and won the Golden Boot award.
Any striker after this would want to start every game and play in his favored position. But Anelka has gladly accepted his role out wide on the flanks (and occasionally drifting in to center) this season, so that Ancelotti's formation and tactics work.
His intelligent movement on and off the ball, ability to retain possession and drag 1 or 2 defenders out with him so that the likes of Drogba, Lampard and even Malouda have space in the box have been pivotal to much of Chelsea's success this season. We looked lackluster in the few games he missed in December.

No doubt Terry wants him to sign a new contract ASAP, because he is one of the most important players who makes this team tick
RoxiiUtd (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ji Sung Park and Darren Fletcher. They are massively under rated yet they continue doing on their job in a humble yet excellent way
BayernBaller (Bayern München) 4 years ago
The thread has gone from 'unsung heroes' to just 'most important players'. An unsung hero needs to be willing to take a back step in order to make the people around him better. To relate this to current events I would take the two teams in the Champions League final. I have a personal bias towards rooting for Bayern but that only makes me see even more how much Van Bommel does for the team. While Schweinsteiger gets all the praise from pundits I think the captain does more to anchor the team when the defence has a tendency to be lackadaisical sometimes. For Inter, Javier Zanetti has been a class act for years imo. He has started more games than any other Inter player this season and makes the players around him better with his leadership and his cool head. Anyone agree with me on this?
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Javier Zanetti is a great pick, and I would like to add Esteban Cambiasso as well, for both Inter and Argentina
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Fletcher Scholes Valencia Park Song Denilson Mikel Sneijder Motta Maxwell Lass Alonso Yossi Mascherano and the most unsong goes to Lucas Leiva
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Arsenal - Alexandre Song
Aston Villa - James Milner
Manchester United - Ji-Sung Park
Liverpool - Dirk Kuyt/Yossi Benayoun
Chelsea - John Obi Mikel
Tottenham - Michael Dawson
Manchester City - Craig Bellamy
Villa=Friedel
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I agree entirely with all of them. Great choices
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Good list Kuyt has been a little poor this season and Bellamy and Milner are highly rated by everyone, Milner is in team of season
Yet kuyt still puts in his all each and every game and comes up big when he has to.... And in his defence, the entire liverpool squad has been "a little poor this season. "
Change the title to 'UnSong Heroes' and /thread
Big9al (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
Arsenal = fabianski
Manchester United = park ji sung
Liverpool = yossi benayoun
Chelsea = deco
Manchester city = roque santa cruz
Tottenham = benoit assou-ekotto
Aston villa = brad friedel
Really, Flappianski? Not sure about that one, mate. If anyone it's between Eboue and Song
Yea fabianski has been terrible for arsenal. I still say mannone should be ahead of him in the pecking order. Santa cruz also doesn't get enough playing time to be considered a hero at all, let alone an unsung hero. The rest I agree with though
I agree with them all except Fabianski and Santa Cruz
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think Song for Arsenal, but I do agree with Santa Cruz. I watched him play against North Korea today, and he played well. He is a great player with a great attitude...
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
Agree on Benayoun and Park ji Sung. Great players, yet modest and truly composed personalities
VanPersie (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Song for arsenal he has a tireless job of defending and attacking the flacsk for arsenal I think he is very underated. If you watch him he is always just running back and foward up that flank. But is overall Benayoun is the biggest one he puts in so much unrecognised work for liverpool
Great point about song. Alot of people critisize him but really, he has become one of the worlds top defensive midfielders in my eyes
He's been your player of the season. Cesc is injured to much
Nothing he can help and aren't you a 'Pool fan?
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Song definitely has been key to Arsenal's champions league qualification for next season. I'm glad he made such a big impact this season so hopefully he can improve even more which would be great.

Benayoun has been a real inspiration for Liverpool too, getting crucial goals and setting up more as well. Great season for him.

Park Ji Sung was also spectacular for Man UTD this season.

By the way.... This is a great topic
Park Fletcher Malouda Benayoun Reina Lloris Mascherano
Keyrock (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Gareth Bale has put in some superb performances for Spurs this year after a tragic start to his Tottenham career. Same goes for their keeper Gomes. Surely time they got recognition?
Gotta' say, mikel has come in to fill in for essien brilliantly and I don't think people have realized just how good he has done. He's certainly come a long way over the past few seasons
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Lol I was thinking about doing this topic, but it seems you've got there before me. I think Gabby Aghbonlahor is unsung, most of the time. And that Boaz Myhill from Hull, he is a really good keeper. And also Hiralio Gomes from Tottenham, though many people think he is sung
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Leighton Baines for me. He is an ultimate left-back, his overlapping skills is great, his crossing is sublime, his distribution on free-kicks is just marvellous, and he is our best penalty taker. I will definitely put him as the starting left-back for the England squad if Cole and Bridge isn't in it.

Howard is another one, great keeper, his spell in Manchester United is horrible but after he came to Everton, he has been our saviour for most of the time. From the confederation cup last year, we can see him saving shots after shots and saving United States' asses and he is voted as the goalkeeper of the competition.

I don't see anybody mentioning about this two much. People have been talking about Arteta, Jagielka and Saha. But it's this two that makes our club as consistent as it is. When those players like Arteta, Jagielka and Saha have been injured, it's them who stays fit and work their asses off. They are the unsung heroes for me
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Couldn't agree more on Tim Howard, I regularly watch Everton matches in footytube, and I have never seen him under-perform.
Great keeper
Baines has had a great year still weak defensively though, Howard has been great,
Landon Donovan and Pienaar have been heroes me thinks alon with Rodwell
Juninho02 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Alex is Chelsea's unseen hero. He can be a great player if give more time on the pitch. He did a great role against Liverpool in the Champions League quater-finals in 09. Joe Cole is also an unseen hero that doesn't get more time on the pitch

Kick4Life - changing lives through football