Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Unsung Heroes
Keyrock (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Every club has players who are their stars, the fan favorites, the media darlings, the ones who's jerseys every kid wants to wear. And then there are those who play a very important role in the team, but shy away from the limelight. The coach understands the value of such players, but they never get the hype or attention they deserve, for the team would not be as good without them.
Being a Chelsea fan, I feel Ivanovic and Mikel from the current team fall into that category. Paulo Ferreira and Belletti have also been there in the past.

So who are the players in your club who you think deserve more praise than they get. Who are you unsung heroes?
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Being a chelsea fan also, I agree with you and say Ivanovic. Last year when he came in to fill in the injured bws;kajdf (don't know how to spell is name- the portugese right back)- he scored two crusial goals to beat liverpool in the champions league 3-1. This season, he did his job on the right def and got a few assist and I think one goal.
Ivanovic and vidic on the serbia squad- sounds like a strong back line- don't know who the other two defenders will be.

You also praise mike, ferreira, and belletti. One thing is that, I never really had a problem with any of chelsea's subs having to replace an injured starter. They all were good enough to fill in the position. Except for maybe the goal keeping position- though I don't think czech is that great of a keeper. Mostly just b/c of his poor judgement on crosses
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Ivanovic could get the same title for his performances in WC qualifiers as well, scoring several important goals for our national team. Other two backs in Serbian back line are Neven Subotic (Borussia Dortmund) and Aleksandar Kolarov (Lazio)
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The fans are certainly singing Ivanovic's name from the stands these days. Was the only defender who made it to final 4 in the vote for the player of the season for Chelsea has been absolutely immense for the club at the back. What a player, such versatility and isn't afraid to go forward
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
Then he is unsung no more
Ivanovic truly has come of age this season. He was in the PFA Team of Year announced recently.
The reason I called him unsung is because no one outside of Chelsea knew him before THAT game at Anfield, even though he had put in some solid displays in the Cups before that.
And even this season, he was not 1st choice in our back four. When Bosingwa got injured, he had his big chance, and hasn't looked back after that. But even then, you have to remember that he is primarily a CB (the position he plays in for Serbia) and to play so magnificently this season at RB, he really should be rated as one of the best defenders there is in England right now
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Great topic keyrock. But I think your forgetting two of our players.... Essien and makelele. Makelele was simply supurb but no one ever noticed it, and essien is the same only he gets slightly more attention. I don't think anelka's been getting enough credit either. He's been awesome for us this season
Well yeah they are great players and don't get as much media attention as say Terry or Drogba. But you have to remember they were bought at very high prices in the first place, which means they were already famous then, and other big clubs also wanted them. So, big things were expected of them when they arrived. This topic is for those players who no one knew about, but who made a contribution through their hard work and commitment
Yet they never got/get the praise they deserve. If makelele isn't an unsung hero I don't know who is
Makelele was duly noted for his performances IMO, but that's just my opinion. I think he was appreciated for what he was doing by the commentators.
After all, they named the position after him, the 'Makelele role'
Yea after he retired. How on earth do you think we got him from real though? It wasnt until after he left madrid that anyone started noticing his abilities and even then I still don't think he got the credit he deserved
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 4 years ago
I thought everyone thought Essien was the man. Do you guys remember Essiens goal last year vs Barca? Sure he has been injured this year so he hasn't been mentioned nearly as much, plus competing in the Africa Cup. I would not agree that Essien is unsung
Everyone knows how good he is, but sometimes I find he isn't appreciated for some of the things he does. Most notably in defence. Absolute rock in front of our back line
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Good topic.

I don't think Essien is unsung actually. He plays great football and I think most people should respect him for that and do. For Chelsea, the unsung hero in my opinion is certainly Hilario. When Cech got injured, and Cudicini did in the same game, Chelsea had to search through their squad to find him. Then he came in, and played quite a few games, kept a few clean-sheet and actually really stood out. Of course, he wasn't the best in the world, and not as good as Cech at that moment in time, but he was a great shot stopper, so much so that when Cudicini returned, Hilario stayed in because he was better than Cudicini in Jose Mourinho's opinion. And in mine, too. He was better than Cudicini and the now Tottenham golie actually complained! But now, since mourinho went, everyone started to disrespect him. No-one gives him any credit for his performances, but he is a very very good keeper.

Anyway, even though I'm not a supporter I have to mention Luis antonio Valencia for Man United and Park-Ji Sung. Both of them are super hard working, unsung heroes for United.

First Luis. He joined from Wigan in the summer as a total bargain being wigans best player (and the form he is in now). Alex ferguson just needed a winger to fill in that space that [C.] are. 7 left. But think about it now. There are about 5 things winger's are meant for:

Sprinting down the wing
Crossing
Dribbling
Controlling
Shooting

Now, have a think. Did Ronaldo do all these? He sprinted down the wing, he dribbled, he controlled, he shot. But did he ever cross? Simple answer- no. Valencia however, does all of those mentioned, maybe not shoot so much but how much does he cross? I don't think anyone appreciates assissts anymore. Just about all of Rooney's goals have come from headers, and most if not all of those headers have come from Valencia crosses. Now really, what more do you want from a winger? If there's no-one to cross, there's no-one to header, so there's no one to score. Simple as. He should be respected more.

And Park. He doesn't start in the first team alot, but when he comes on as a sub I for one think he makes an incredible impact. He passes, and runs so much too. He even scores in the most random places, pooping up from out of nowhere. Maybe he isn't as good as some, but we all seem to like people who shoot alot. This guy isn't one but when he does shoot, he normally scores
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Hilario is a disaster man wtf? Essien is hugely popular and rated, Ivanovic is in the PL team of the year so that leaves MIkel and Paulo Ferreria who have been great imo.
Stick Paulo in anywhere and you would swear he was playing there all season.
Mikel had to fill Essien's sizable boots this year and has done it well
Hilario is really not that great. He is consistent, you can't take that away from him. His form doesn't drip or shoot up from what I have see from him. But unfortunatly that form just isn't that good
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its gotta' be darren fletcher of man utd for me, I have always said he is the MOST important player at the club, not the best, the MOST important, because when darren fletcher plays, utd seem to do well, and when he's missing you can see the cracks in midfield.
The guys all over the pitch, he's getting to the point he's up there with roy keane to be honest, the lad makes such a difference to utd
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I completly agree with you that he is an amazingly underated player for united, and am glad to see that over the last few years he has improved a lot and more first team football has come his way because of it
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
Is he unsung I'm not sure i've been hearing a lot from United fans saying how good he has been this season
He is in the Team of the year that's not unsung hero material.  Nani has popped up to score some important goals, could he be the unsung hero?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Pepe Riena!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Clarence Seedorf for Milan.
One of the most important player for the team, but his work go usually unnoticed. Everyone would have seen his final minute goals against Man Utd, and now recently against Chievo(the goal that has kept the my Rossoneri still on the track!). He is that kind of player, who can come of from the bench anytime, and put in a wonderful performance. Love the morale and commitment.
And also, he plays as an AMF for Milan, still comes back often to make tackles and win challenges.
Hard worker, and a real work horse.

Juninho02 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Alex is Chelsea's unseen hero. He can be a great player if give more time on the pitch. He did a great role against Liverpool in the Champions League quater-finals in 09. Joe Cole is also an unseen hero that doesn't get more time on the pitch
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Leighton Baines for me. He is an ultimate left-back, his overlapping skills is great, his crossing is sublime, his distribution on free-kicks is just marvellous, and he is our best penalty taker. I will definitely put him as the starting left-back for the England squad if Cole and Bridge isn't in it.

Howard is another one, great keeper, his spell in Manchester United is horrible but after he came to Everton, he has been our saviour for most of the time. From the confederation cup last year, we can see him saving shots after shots and saving United States' asses and he is voted as the goalkeeper of the competition.

I don't see anybody mentioning about this two much. People have been talking about Arteta, Jagielka and Saha. But it's this two that makes our club as consistent as it is. When those players like Arteta, Jagielka and Saha have been injured, it's them who stays fit and work their asses off. They are the unsung heroes for me
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Couldn't agree more on Tim Howard, I regularly watch Everton matches in footytube, and I have never seen him under-perform.
Great keeper
Baines has had a great year still weak defensively though, Howard has been great,
Landon Donovan and Pienaar have been heroes me thinks alon with Rodwell
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Lol I was thinking about doing this topic, but it seems you've got there before me. I think Gabby Aghbonlahor is unsung, most of the time. And that Boaz Myhill from Hull, he is a really good keeper. And also Hiralio Gomes from Tottenham, though many people think he is sung
Gotta' say, mikel has come in to fill in for essien brilliantly and I don't think people have realized just how good he has done. He's certainly come a long way over the past few seasons
Gareth Bale has put in some superb performances for Spurs this year after a tragic start to his Tottenham career. Same goes for their keeper Gomes. Surely time they got recognition?
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Park Fletcher Malouda Benayoun Reina Lloris Mascherano
VanPersie (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Song for arsenal he has a tireless job of defending and attacking the flacsk for arsenal I think he is very underated. If you watch him he is always just running back and foward up that flank. But is overall Benayoun is the biggest one he puts in so much unrecognised work for liverpool
Great point about song. Alot of people critisize him but really, he has become one of the worlds top defensive midfielders in my eyes
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
He's been your player of the season. Cesc is injured to much
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Nothing he can help and aren't you a 'Pool fan?
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Song definitely has been key to Arsenal's champions league qualification for next season. I'm glad he made such a big impact this season so hopefully he can improve even more which would be great.

Benayoun has been a real inspiration for Liverpool too, getting crucial goals and setting up more as well. Great season for him.

Park Ji Sung was also spectacular for Man UTD this season.

By the way.... This is a great topic
Big9al (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
Arsenal = fabianski
Manchester United = park ji sung
Liverpool = yossi benayoun
Chelsea = deco
Manchester city = roque santa cruz
Tottenham = benoit assou-ekotto
Aston villa = brad friedel
Really, Flappianski? Not sure about that one, mate. If anyone it's between Eboue and Song
Yea fabianski has been terrible for arsenal. I still say mannone should be ahead of him in the pecking order. Santa cruz also doesn't get enough playing time to be considered a hero at all, let alone an unsung hero. The rest I agree with though
I agree with them all except Fabianski and Santa Cruz
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I think Song for Arsenal, but I do agree with Santa Cruz. I watched him play against North Korea today, and he played well. He is a great player with a great attitude...
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
Agree on Benayoun and Park ji Sung. Great players, yet modest and truly composed personalities
Change the title to 'UnSong Heroes' and /thread

Kick4Life - changing lives through football