Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Next Liverpool Manager?
Jashank (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Now that the sacking of Dalglish is confirmed, who do you think should be the next manager? It will certainly be hard to get a top quality manager as the pressure at Liverpool is always at a high! Fans would be expecting a top quality manager or else sacking dalglish would not be justified.

Do you agree with the sacking? Why or Why not?

Who should be the next manager and why?

Personally, I think the sacking was justified because his investments haven't paid off and he has paid a lot of money for mediocre players. His handling of the Suarez saga wasn't the best either and his team selections haven't always been the best.

The next manager for me should be Rafa Benitez. Give him the money provided to dalglish and sufficient time and he will take Liverpool back to where they belong. He has been waiting a long time for a good opening and I know for sure he would love to be back.

Your thoughts?
Ikrau (Liverpool) 1 year ago
I know that Rafa is the obvious choice for a return, but we went with a sentimental candidate with KD and look how that turned out. I think we should go for Roberto Martinez, I like the way he utilizes players and look what he's done with Wigan and they are one of the smallest clubs in the EPL. Martinez has my vote
I really do not think Martinez is the ideal candidate for the job. We need someone who is proven at the top level and is able to handle pressure.coming into a big club gives someone a lot of pressure and if they don't get things right, its going to go down from there. Gettin Martinez would definetly be a step backward
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 1 year ago
How can we not pick Rafa benitez. Other then the great paisley and shankly I havent seen another manager with the same amount of desire to run liverpool football club. The squad still has the same structure to when he left. He has brought in so many good footballers and has came closest to winning the league in 20 years.

To me with the FULL support of the owners he can bring in more silverware then any other manager. I have been reading Rafa's blog for months now and he seems to be a great scout on players. I think he can make a few more stars at liverpool like he did a few years ago with torres, alonso etc.

Him and his wife still live in liverpool and he has already said he wants the liverpool job when kenny stands down as he knows he can do great things with the right support. I believe with the Full support of FSG he will be a huge success. (and the players love him!)
That is exactly my point. I feel like I just want to talk to John Henry on the phone and plead him and tell him Rafa is the man for the job and he is right there in merseyside waiting and waiting and waiting. I would literally LOVE if he came back. He is an amazing manager and with the backing of the owners he will definetly take LFC back where it belongs
That's the dream
Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
AVB is being talked about as a replacement on talksport radio as I type, and who knows?
Peteko 1 year ago
Rafa is not the same manager he was when he started with Liverpool. Somehow along the way he lost his magic.
I'd rather look for someone with a proven record but not a former manager. And not AVB.

However if Liverpool fans are en-masse calling for Rafa then so be it. It would be unfair for someone else to be brought and kept under pressure with Rafa living nearby. I think the second spell will end up in tears, but at least you'd be better prepared for a new start.

Its unfair to say it will end in tears before he even got the job don't you think
Oops double post
Peteko 1 year ago
I agree that it is unfair from his perspective, but that is how I see it. To me he exploited the anger of the fans towards the previous owners to escape his own responsibility about the state of the club. It was a bit dishonest from my point of view, although maybe human
Well he did make some mistakes an paid for it but I believe under a good management, he has all the right tools to succeed. But it looks like martinez is the man liverpool is going for. I would actually pick AVB over him
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Martinez would be interesting at the very least. Who knows though, still question marks over his head. He just manages to pull his team together at the end of the season. Imo, If you want someone similar to Martinez, Rogers and Lambert would be safer options. I have a feeling it will be Rijkaard though, dunno why
Peteko 1 year ago
They are talking to Martinez now
Peteko 1 year ago
Peteko 1 year ago
Wow, Guardiola in the horizon. Although he said he would take a year off
SKool (Arsenal) 1 year ago
How about Luis Van Gaal? I doubt Pep rumors are true, sicne he said he wants to have a year off
I really don't know.... For me the ideal candidate would be benitez. But I don't know what kind of a structure the americans are building at liverpool. He might just not like the structure
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
These are just dreams but I want Van Gaal Hidiink or Capello
I think hiddink will be a great choice. But I don't think they are even considering him. He is not someone whoz name has been taken in the media either. A top notch manager for sure
BeefCurtains (Limerick) 1 year ago
"Do you agree with the sacking? "

Absolutely. I'd rather take my chances on a random name from a telephone directory to be in charge of LFC than have Dullglish there a moment longer.

Who should be the next manager?

Not AVB and definitely not Fapello. Nor Avram Grant, Spam Saladslice, Alex Mcleish or any other bottom feeders of that ilk.

That said, Martinez is, at best, a decent choice. At worst, the best of a bad bunch though I personally think that his real managerial success will come to fruition in his homeland of Spain, possibly even as a future national team manager there.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football