Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Great Beckham Is Done...Thoughts On His Career
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
David Beckham. Is Done. No more World Cups....And most probably in the very end of his storied career. Even when he comes back it will never be the same.

Video: The injury that ended it all

The man has been written about and argued about more than any other modern footballer. He has done some incredible things on the and off the pitch. He has made some very good and very bad decisions as well. Some hate him and some love him like no other.

When you listen to him speak...He is soft and unassuming. When you watch him play he is intense and sometimes brutal. He has always played to the best of his talent and I never did see him tank or slack or give up. His crosses and passes and kicks are the stuff of legend and will no doubt be the things we will always remember him by....That unbelievable " bend ".

His commitment to the game we all love will never be questioned either. Yes he went to America riding on a wave of expectation that was never really met....And even though he took LA to the finale...Many in America think he is a waste of time and money. When he came back last year...He was hated by his own fans. They screamed at him and threw stuff at him and brought rude signs to the games and said even ruder things about his wife. And he took it...Got pissed a little at Landon's book....But I watched him change the entire circus around from jeers to cheers in a few months. He did that by staying cool and playing very hard. At the end of games he was spent....And he was tired. It showed in the final with Real SL....But he still made the kicks over and over and his kick at the end he made as well....This loss had zero to do with Becks and everything to do with LA not being able to take advantage of his deliveries.

Even at the end he showed respect for the very same fans that hated him only a few months before. That is class with a capital [C.] My thoughts on Becks have been spread around footytube before. I respect him and consider him one of the best ever mids to play the sport....And a quiet but effective ambassador for the game all over the world. His work off the field is notable and is spreading good will and good practices with kids. I will never fault him for his media exploits and overkill. Give the guy a break....If you listen to Becks you will hear a simple man with simple desires that also likes to be open to new ideas. Big Ego? Yeah sure. Big heart? You bet.

England will miss Becks this year because he would have brought a certain attitude to the pitch. The one thing you need to know about David is this: His love of his country and his Man Utd is set in stone. He has made a huge contribution to football worldwide in terms of making it cool to be a football player and fan.

I went out to my local footy fields today and kicked some balls in the nets. I laced up my Predator silver/ gold striped Turf boots....And bent every one of them....Damn that felt good. I for one will miss Becks playing for England.

Video: Becks the Free Kick Master

What are your thoughts?

This blog post was submitted by a footytube member and does not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of footytube and its partners
Funny how these things happen.... My dad climbed poles for years as a power lineman (with spikes attached to your ankles).... And one day he stepped down from a small ladder at home and tore his knee up that took 3 minths to heal. An athlete's greatest fear is an injury like this.... They play so hard and can never think about it because it would hamper their performance.... Then after it happens it is impossible to not think about it. Thanks for the vids
FutureMUplayer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
That sucks, I really wanted to see him as a member of the WC, but now its almost impossible, when you are at the age of 30 and more you legs are not that flexible and ready for those moves so playing in the highest level over 30 is something special guys
Booba (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
Shame  I like that man
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
That's probably one of or the worst game in his career now. He's worked so hard for 4 years basically, and he gets kicked in the face, and tears his Achilles tendon.... That's a terrible way to go.

And while I do agree it's very practical for him to go now, will he? He'll finish out his contract with the Galaxy for sure, but I am not convinced he's going to just up and quit. He's got a brand to think about, and he still genuinely loves the game.

That, and while it is the practical decision.... Since when did Becks make practical decisions? Besides, look at how so many star players fitness has digressed over the years. Becks is pretty consistent about keeping fit, and has been at this level for longer than most players this decade. I wouldn't be surprised if he toyed with the idea of kicking it around until 2014. That'd be something....

I'm not sure I would chisel the epitaph of his career just yet, though.

Here's a link to the injury just because I was going to post this topic if no one else had haha- Link: sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_experts/post/Davi... ;_ylt=AlDAJOZFYr_4kpZezof5fLwmw7YF?urn=sow,227872

Edit: And the word is that he will miss more like 3 months as opposed to 6. - Link: sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news ;_ylt=AuC8KNYAcTMNVxpD.0yXzfsmw7YF?slug=goal-davidbeckhamtearsachilleste&prov=goal&type=lgns
Don't think he will go just yet. He will make a comeback in America for sure. Interms of WC.... He is done my friend. The game is too fast. He is not going to get faster in 4 years. Thanks for the post!
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't think Beckham will finish just yet. The guys that quit and don't rehab full tilt are the ones you see with a limp from never fully healing. I think He'll at least stay with the Galaxy for another year and try to return to form. I don't think there's a better place to be as far as good Doctors are concerned. L. A. Has lots of World class sports medicine centers. Has he made any official statements of retirement? If not then who can be sure?
My thought was he is done on the International Stage now. As far as playing in America or with Milan.... Yeah sure it is still there and he will make a comeback.... But lets be real about this.... He has lost speed and that is the real issue here.... I think he will play but if it becomes obvious that he cannot keep up and is a liability for any team he may be on.... He will hang it up. In no way will Becks hang around to sit on someones bench.... I do not think he will want to be some has- been guy that plays 20% of the time
See, though, I don't think he looks at it like that. Becks can provide a few things to a team, like AC Milan for example, that few other people can. His job at AC Milan has been mostly as a sub, and he has still managed to be successful. I don't think he's one to think he is a has-been that can't help a club out, because he can. The wealth of experience along with his amazing free kick and passing skills are still top-notch, and he knows he doesn't have to play like he used to to do that well.

Besides, what England will miss most is not his playing for ENG, but his leadership. He's one of the few players on England's roster that all the players can actually trust. He's an ideal senior member and was a trusted captain for a long time. Becks is too unpredictable to assume anything. Odds are good, he will call it in a few years, but I wouldn't limit the man...
I'm on the bus with Scooter There's just too much of a marketable product to be cast aside in David Beckham. Not to mention that he has remained relatively out of the Tabloids for his career. And a likely career in Broadcasting maybe? They will keep Beckham's face in football one way or another whether TV or Coaching and Management
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
"Not to mention that he has remained relatively out of the Tabloids for his career"
That must be the most incorrect comment ever written on footytube! One of the main reasons Ferguson let him go from Man United was that he was absolutely sick of the "media circus" surrounding him and his wife. They had papparazi following them everywhere, and then they'd sell the rights to any images of their private events (wedding etc) to the highest bidder
I did sorta chuckle at that....

I think what he meant was he kept out of the tabloids for the wrong reasons. Any coverage Becks got was typically positive, and even when there was negative stuff, he never had any issues with it. That and Becks didn't mind the media. He grew his brand from it. I don't feel sorry for Furgy for that reason. He was just smart enough to sell his face.
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Its heart braking. I was really looking forward to seeing him kick some argentinan butt in the world cup.

But seriousley. It is terrible, its the only thing he ever wanted to do, to play for england. Ever since he was a little kid in that little town of preston.

Hopefully he has a miracle recovery or milan train him so he can play for next world cup. I don't want him to go D:
Ossie (Liverpool) 4 years ago
You mean ever since he was a little kid in Leytonstone, London? He went on loan to Preston for a while from United
You mean in 2014? Maybe.... But I see a generational change in England footy.... Becks will be too old and no manager will use up a space to let him play. Don't see it
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wasent he in preston from the beggining? Ok I learn something new
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
This would appear to be a fatal blow for his World Cup career. 3 months is just too soon to comeback from an Achilles tear and at 34 years old 4 years to the next competition is a step too far.

Even without this injury it was starting to look a bit touch and go if he was going to be selected for the squad let alone get much match time.

Here is my all time best memory of Becks in an England shirt. If your English and you can watch this vid without the hair on your neck standing up you are either on the wrong site or suffer from a real bad case of alopecia.

Only two years until the European Championship though maybe we will see him there.
But at 38, the only modeling jobs he would be getting would be for Pampers? He might as well push for a WC spot.... Haha
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 4 years ago
That free kick was brilliant    It just had to be aggaint greece lol
Gomlee (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Now THAT is how it's done. Becks special
Ravish987 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Just came across this satirical article but makes me realize that he hasn't done good enough for England. He never played to his full potential. Still a good player though. Link: www.naklinews.com/2010/03/27/no-beckham-its-good-f...
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I think its a big blow to englands world cup to be honest, in my eyes he's the best right sided option they had, I'm not a big lover of the others, apart from swp.
I was at old trafford on wednesday night for the ac milan game, and he WAS their man of the match, and that was from the subs bench.
He got the loudest cheer of the night when he came on, and the utd fans chanted his name for a good few minutes when he came on.
But the guy is loved outside of old trafford as well, the madrid fans loved him, the ac milan fans loved him, although with ac milan he has been asked to play well out of position in the last few weeks, is it any wonder he didn't have a great game last night when he got injured.
But the whole milan team were crap on wednesday, and against chievo last night, so don't blame becks, they will be a worse team in his absence.
And just as an aside, how many other players had played for man utd, real madrid and ac milan?
I rest my case, get well soon becks, I would love to see him back, even if no one else does.
Nice post Ton.... When I see him later this year in San Jose against the Quakes I will give him a shout out for ya
Gomlee (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Sure hope he recovers and plays a few more years, must be a massive blow to pick up a injury so close to the WC and I strongly doubt he'll play in 2014, there will be plenty of other players to pick from and he will just be too slow and old to be a candidate. Such a shame.... England will miss his magic right foot in his absence, just his presence on the pitch and leadership qualities even if he isn't a regular starter is such a lethal weapon to have. He is a real warrior, always looking to help his team out and his crosses are still up there with the best in the buisness and nobody knows how to curl the ball like he does! Get well soon Becks you legend, was looking forward to seeing those classic crosses with Rooney at the end of it during the summer
Gerrardeight8 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Beck's "golden balls": a truly legendary English and world class footballer.... Truthfully, signifies (for me) the transition from an Anfield dominated Premiership to an Old Trafford exclusive empire for over a decade.... As upsetting and unsettling the change of power has been for Liverpool fans for the past few years has been its impossible for any single football fan to deny that he has been perhaps one of the best and most influential footballers in the modern game
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ah I wouldn't start him anyways, but the experience and things he brings to the team is essential. Also probably 10 percent of world cup viewers watch just to see Beckham .

Seriously though, For him to work as hard as he did, travel across oceans so he could be selected(or have a good chance) for the 2010 world cup which he so dearly wanted to play in, his last world cup. It's very sad.

Achilles Tendon's suck, not only did they get Matt they got Becks
Good points.... Think of the amount of people that have gotten into football because of his influence.... He deserves respect for that alone
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
But experience isn't much good sitting on the bench, he might as well be at home in his sarong.... Lol
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I'm so sorry for him. These injuries really do suck. I hope a rest will pay off for Euro 2012. Hopefully he'll of course still be playing then. He was so ahppy to be in the England squad and now this.... I'm still thriving over it, poor Becks, get well soon and play again!
Drakilla (Olympique Lyon) 4 years ago
One word: DAMN!
What was that? You mean Armani right...
Drakilla (Olympique Lyon) 4 years ago
I feel very sorry for him, he was just top class on the pitch
Ok got it.... Thanks!
I think from England's perspective the list just narrowed down some for the RM spot in the 4-4-2. This may be to Joe Coles benefit. Somewhat of a silver lining if it can be said?
NaijaBoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Beckham. Nuff said
I think if Beckham had made it to the squad, apart from hobbling on to take a free kick or zip a few balls 40 yards into the box, he didn't have a lot left to bring to the table. The expectation that he was a hero that would save Englands World cup was unrealistic, and it would have just ended in misery. Let someone younger, more mobile and with more desire have a chance.

By all means bring him as a coach or advisor, or just to motivate the players, but I for one am glad we won't be seeing the Beckham media circus and shots of "Posh" in the crowd, looking like a old leather bag full of antlers
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Lol, oh my God Ant how do you really feel about Posh? Please do not hold out this time let your true feelings show! LOL
SoviGuy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ant, more desire? Than becks?
Say what you want about his abilities now, but he was the only player for england worth watching in 2006, the only one performing anyway....
But more desire? He goes on loan, works his ass off year round and you say no desire?
Think that one through, sugar plum....
In the 1990s, yes, in the 2000's, yes, but now he knows he is in the winter of his career and that was proved when he went to play out the final year or two he had left in America. When he was advised that he might somehow make the England first eleven again, he realised he should play in Europe. He kind of left LA in the lurch though.

Of course he worked his ass off to try to get his place back - wouldn't you? I don't really call it desire, more self-preservation. Victoria makes sure everything Beckham does (including moving to LA) is done for the Beckhams, not anyone else.

Where was his desire when he hung his boots up and went to America?
His desire has always been to play his best.... And I can't fault him for taking some of the offers he has taken. As far as LA is concerned.... You have a point.... But LA sucked anyway and he knew it and so did they. The time he missed was not that important. He proved that after he came back and shaped the team up and put em on his back all the way to the last kick (which Golden Boy Landy missed!).... Why not go to America? What did he have in Europe? Man Utd did not want him.... Whay not take the offer and see what happens.... Maybe even help the MLS in the process. I think the problem was how he left not that he did.... If he had just explained his motives honestly and asked the fans to be patient.... But American fans do not understand European Footy at all so they saw it as being a traitor.... As far as desire on the pitch.... I ask you Ant is this desire or something else:

Last year LA is playing some nobody team in the middle of the season.... It's the second half and LA is ahead.... The ball is on the right side of the pitch and Becks has it and is advancing it.... Looking for a teammate to pass it to.... All of a sudden the defender comes up from behind and takes the ball away and leaves Becks on the pitch as well.... At that point Becks could have gotten up and followed the play, etc.... No big deal.... Everyone gets the ball taken away from them like a hundred times in a career.... Not David.... He gets up runs at top speed for at least 25 yrds, comes up behind the thief and takes the ball back with a deftness as sweet as can be.... The player is stunned.... Becks then goes the other way and makes a perfect cross to continue advancing.... Desire ir vanity? You make the call
Webbo (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Also if we remember, at the time.... When he accepted the LA deal he was on Capello's downside at Madrid, and IN spite of that he still remained true to Real, had signed the contract with LA and could have said.... 'hasta luego Madrid' but he stuck it out, so much so that Capello was forced to reinstall him in the starting 11 and won La Liga with a lot of Beck's passes and plays. Madrid wanted him to stay, contract had been signed in LA, he left and kept his word.

Point is, he is an important part of the squad, and he will be missed in sa2010
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
Reidscott, listen I understand what you are saying about American fans and their understanding of the game. I do however think they know sincerity when they see it. Can you Imagine Beckham in his ManU days saying to his team can you please send me on loan to Chelsea as they are currently in first place and I need to increase my chances of making the world cup squad. Imagine the reaction he would have gotten. Now I underestand the LA Galaxy is not nearly in the same universe as any EPL or Italian squad but one thing I know for sure is that while he surely helped himself he hurt American soccer by making the MLS look like idiots by not fulfilling his contract. He should have considered all of his options before inking the deal with the MLS. Remember the MLS owns the players contracts not the individual teams. As Ant said It was "All Good" when he signed with the MLS but as soon as people started whispering in his ear he quickly changed his mind an "bailed" big time.

I truely belive that Beckham will forever be considered a Football Legend. But I aslo belive that one of the truest test of a man is wether he keeps his promises and does what he says he will. So for me I will still respect him but not as much as I did before he came to the US
Wayne (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He'll be sorely missed.... Not only World Cup, but the Football community.    "It's another David Beckham Special"
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Ah. I've never been impressed with his technical skills. However, I've always admired him because he is almost always the hardest worker out on the pitch and it cannot be denied that he is a wonderful free kick taker. I do think England will miss him during the WC and I hope he is able to come back to play at least one more season. This would be such a terrible way to retire
87firas (Manchester United) 4 years ago
So sad.... David Becham is a legend !

Kick4Life - changing lives through football