Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Footytube Podcast : Is Suarez A Cheat?
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 5 months ago
The best player in the league usually gets hated on, nothing new!
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 5 months ago
This is it. If Chamakh dives nobody cares. The fact Suarez is a great player goes along with the hype. The press can do what they want with that hype.
In fact Balotelli, who was also a target of the English press, was mostly ignored until he had a phase he started scoring every game and then it was 6-1 day and so on.
Once the press start the hype they keep going.
I see all sort of players diving and nobody cares
XXEAXx (Liverpool) 5 months ago
What a pointless thread. Can someone show me the last time Suarez dived?
Azeal (Liverpool) 6 months ago
Long before Suarez, diving has became a trend in football.

I don't see your point at all, especially when Man UTD still keep players like Ryan Giggs around for what he did.... Pretty disgusting what he did -Sexing his own brother's wife, that's incest. Let's do a little back-tracking, before you say "No other player has dived so much.... " your brain must have been extremely weak or just failing since NANI & ashley young is still on Man U's payroll, aren't they? Remember a certain Ronaldive?

If Suarez was named JOHN smith or Terry Cantona, he'd be worship for his skills and work-rate
Fightillyoufall (Fifa 10") 5 months ago
We are not saying diving hasn't been in football long before.... In fact it still goes on everywhere.... Asia, Africa etc.... It just hurts me when someone as talented as suarez can result to such cheating(and when we say cheating we mean on the field. Stop using off the pitch matters to stupidly back up your claim.)

See. Ronaldo once wore the crown.... So did drogba, the whole barca squad achieved a feat no one can ever replicate and wore the group crown with busquets the king of kings but even I don't hate busquets now(my once most hated player)

The fact is today, Suarez is the worst cheater of this modern generation we are experiencing. Then I ask myself but why do I dislike him so much when vitually a lot of people dive. I guess its just down to his facial expressions and how he gives his all to diving. OMG those facial expressions. You would think he just blowed in the hole
Kayteo (Manchester United) 6 months ago
Suarez is absolutely the worst. There is no contest. No other player has dived so much he's admitted to it, bitten TWO players, deliberately handballed on the line and been suspended for racism.

And liverpool should bloody well be ashamed to have him on their payroll. But money is everything - and liverpool are so desperate for the champions league that they would employ the ku klux klan if it got them there.

Suarez is an example of how pathetic our generation is - being a good footballer is absolutely NO excuse for being racist, cheating or biting someone. And it's only the money that makes this excuse possible. A plumber who bit a client, made fun of their race and dumped the contents of your clogged toilet on your kitchen table wouldn't still be working, would he? But because suarez is a money maker all is forgiven!

Pathetic. Shame on liverpool and the FA
WELL SAID!
WELL SAID!
Azeal (Liverpool) 6 months ago
Is Henry a cheat? Is Maradona a cheat? Is Christiano Ronaldo a cheat? Is Young a cheat? Is Nani a cheat? Is Drogba a cheat? Is Pires a cheat? Is Pepe a cheat? Is Busquet a cheat? Is Giggs a cheat? Is Terry a cheat? Is FIFA a cheat?

To say Suarez is the worst.... You might need a prove. Suarez is living in a pretty nasty generation.

PS. Any Englishman who did what he did on the World Cup, would be considered a footballing genius; A patriot or some sort of local legend to say the least. He took the risk, took the punishment, and walk out a hero - Too bad Suarez is Uruguayan
See. Ronaldo was a cheat yoiung is 2nd to suarez, Busquets was the greatest in his time. Terry, maradona, henry had some moments but not consistent. Nothing compared to whiny face suarez
Fightillyoufall (Fifa 10") 6 months ago
Do dogs bark?    Silly question!    Worst cheater of his generation
Matt (Footytube Staff) 6 months ago
I was going to come on here and join the general swell of opinion that the media are to blame for blowing up an everyday event simply because the culprit is Suarez.

After reading all the comments I have however come to a different conclusion, the real culprit behind the microscope Suarez finds himself under is....

.... You!

Yep you right there reading this maybe thinking about making a comment, you are to blame. Here is why. This it the 31st footytube podcast there have been some very good ones and some pretty awful ones but one thing we pride ourselves on is not being swung by the media ensuring the opinions we put forward are our own and not regurgitated tabloid back page fillers. We get quite a lot of listeners to the podcast but very little feedback or comments on the posts.

Then I used a provocative title to the forum post and we get more comments then ever before both here and on the facebook post.

So you are to blame because you eat this stuff up, in some ways the more wrong we are the more chance we have of snagging your attention and getting your opinions. Despite this we will try to remain a fair and balanced podcast with a bit of messing around.

Next weeks podcast 'Is Moyes the Worst Man Utd Manager EVER!'....
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 6 months ago
Despite his great skills, Suarez is capable of losing his cool and doing something crazy on the pitch (since his early days in the Dutch league). We all know that.
Now, having earned a controversial penalty does not necessarily mean he`s a cheat/diver, because such situations occur in many football pitches really. Many footballers let themselves go down in order to earn a penalty, why? Simply because it really benefits the team in need of getting an important result/goal. Even legit players would end up falling on the ground in critical situations. That's just part of the game: ''B team got robbed by A Team following a debatable penalty''. There is no way back, you just have to deal with it and move on, although it's really frustrating. Even so, I firmly believe that prior to complaining about a suspicious penalty, the team should focus on doing everything to prevent this from happening.

I think calling him a cheat is quite predictable when you`re aware of his reputation
So is your point that if everyone is cheating then no one can be called a cheat?

I think several posts have touched on the real issue which is in fact if we all find diving to be a nasty side of the game then why are the rule makers not doing more to combat it? As much as I like the goal line decision system (the last major rule change) it only effects 1 game in a 100 whereas diving/buying a penalty is more like 1 in 5.
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 5 months ago
Obviously, purposely diving and getting away with a goal is wrong, no doubt. At the end of the day, there is no way back. If Football Federations were to officially come up with a viable method such as a post-incident video evidence for instance, then players wouldn't be tempted to dive or simulate an aggression. However, this would simply hamper the flow of the game (should that type of attitude become repetitive), which is not what we football fans want to experience both as spectators or as viewers. Referees have a split second to make a decision on a challenged player in the box; and should they get it wrong, then that's more likely due to human error (there are other various factors of course which influence refs' decisions).

I don't think 'cheater' is the right word in this context personally, since there isn't an official rule against diving. Taking prohibited substances by the Federation to enhance physical performances is definitely an act of cheating
Blu4eva (Chelsea) 6 months ago
I think people are going to have to get over this 'diving' thing. Unless the rules change drastically players are always going to look for contact and fall. When it comes off its fine and at other times they are going to embarass themselves
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 6 months ago
Agreed! I don't think there is much problem with taking the opportunity to open the door when a penalty comes knocking on it, that's part of a strikers job. If there is contact in box it's always going to be a close call but if there is no contact and a player goes down then that's simulation.

There are too many variables (like momentum, speed, point of contact, amount of contact, how much ball was won) that make it impossible to judge if the player could have stayed on his feet or not, that is always going to cause an argument because it's subjective.

With Suarez there was definitely contact, maybe he could have stayed on his feet, but IMO it was a penalty
DrakWlakers (Liverpool) 6 months ago
Typical English media bullshit.
How about when one of their own players dive like say Baines against WBA.

Mt1234 (Bolton Wanderers) 6 months ago
Seriously, I wouldn't venture there. Only Messi can be exempt from the conversation, and even he has went to ground a few times.

The better question:
Is the English media ignorant, hypocritical, and over-dramatic regarding domestic football?

Daily failure
Mt1234 (Bolton Wanderers) 6 months ago
Pinched this off @Matt's wall:     Link: youtu.be/6qUg8tAaStI
In the podcast we go on to ask if Suarez in fact is just a media scapegoat
Colinmc (Liverpool) 6 months ago
My god this is stupid (not this podcast, media in general). Sterling 'went down easy' in basically the same way the week before and I didn't see umpteen amount of articles about it and commentary. Really this is either 1. Xenophobia or 2. Taking on an easy target. Probably a bit of both.

Also, solid podcast
[account-removed] 6 months ago
He is a cheat
DrakWlakers (Liverpool) 6 months ago
Yeah just like Oscar and Ramirez

Kick4Life - changing lives through football