Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Footytube Podcast
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
We are looking to start producing a couple of podcasts a week. To this end we have produced a pilot episode which you can find here:

Some technical issues aside and the need to add a jingle or two please give it a listen and provide us with constructive feedback*

*constructive feedback does not include mentioning my mother, questioning my sexuality or declaring my love of farm animals.

Music is 'Fear of Losing' by The Alaskan Pipeline.
http://www.thealaskanpipeline.com/ap2/
Liquidator (Chelsea) 1 year ago
This is some fantastic stuff! I'm so glad this is being done, and it will really keep people wanting to learn more and contribute their two cents to the weekend's goings on. Matt and Araz are a very easy listen, which is always a very good place to start.

A few suggestions are:
1) A soft outline for the contents of the podcast could be included up front. It could be a double edged sword, in that it could turn listeners away if they don't think the topic they want covered, isn't covered, but I think it'll make for a better podcast. Essentially, it could just be a simple soft roundup of the week/fortnight.

2) The initial section of this podcast was a bit too fragmented, and made it difficult for me to formulate an opinion or provoke thought on an individual topic. I think that was because it went a wee bit too fast, and switched topics too quickly. But, that could be me being slow.

3) A 'media roundup' section could be included towards the end, with a discussion on these opinion-based pieces, with more opinion. Should be fun.

4) A quick summary of other European leagues, important Internationals, and if this is EPL based, then a couple of references to events in the Championship, with regards to the teams most likely to break into the EPL for next season. But, this could be something that could come into play towards the end of the season.

I felt the length of the podcast was absolutely nailed down perfect. Just enough as things start, leaving the listener wanting for more. I'm sure it'll get longer as people start tuning in.

Honestly, I'd like to reiterate about how good an idea this is. I really hope you guys get it off the ground, and run with it
Ltm017 1 year ago
Well they did have an outline in the beginning, it went like this:

1) Saturday matches
2) Situation with Nigel Adkins
3) Sunday Matches: Specifically Chelsea vs. Arsenal and Tottenham vs. Manchester United

So I don’t think it was really a problem there. However, I do feel the jump between sections didn't flow, and the situation with Adkins should have been discussed first then the weekend matches after.

I completely agree with Liquidator about the podcast being a bit fragmented. I didn't care one way or another about what was being said in the beginning. I think a big problem with the start of the podcast is that you switched topics way to fast and you didn't sound very engaging. Approximately 5-7 is spent on Saturday matches and the Nigel Adkins situation, and then it went straight into Sunday matches.

You can start the podcast with a highlight of the “Biggest news of the week in the epl” (if just for the EPL), which in this case it would have been the sacking of Nigel Adkins. Make this section about 7-10 minutes long (if not longer) and give the audience more information regardless of what we know or don’t know about the situation.

Loved the idea of hearing what fans on the forums are saying, I again agree with Liquidator, this fan section should be at the end because you reverted to talking about United and the EPL. It would be better if you end one section before moving to another, rather than jump back and forth between the two.

So basically:

1) Biggest news of the week in the EPL
2) Talk about matches, tactics, and players
3) Fan comments and opinions

I think it was done before, and you might already be thinking about it, but it would be nice if a fan could come on the podcast to discuss their thoughts on the matches. If there is a big match, for instance a Chelsea vs. Manchester United match, it would be nice to have a fan from one or both of the teams come on to share their thoughts on the game.

Overall, I think the longer you both spoke, the better it became and I really enjoyed it. Personally, I laughed a few times and I liked that no club was exempt from criticism. The more opinions the better it gets, it gives people something to talk about, even if no one agrees with you
ScouserDan (Liverpool) 1 year ago
I think this Football podcast idea for footytube is a brilliant one. Liquidator and LTM went over a few things that I was going to point out. Just a few other things I would add (without trying to sound like a knob lol)

1. Always maintain a constant distance between your mouth and the microphone [~3"] so that the sound levels do not vary during the recording process. Just for future use with other people talking on the podcast. You lads did fine throughout the podcast, volume level seemed steady through the 45 minutes.

2. Like LTM said it would be fitting to start with general news in the EPL (managers sacked, players dropped, potential transfers, injury updates etc) I like that you read off some fans comments from the various forums. I'd agree with LTM in that aspect to maybe save that for the end of it.

3. When wrapping up the podcast, quickly just go over the things that were discussed and what topics/discussions will be talked about for next week. I think the more people getting involved with the Podcast the quicker it can get lifted off of the ground. Different opinions from different fans (whether in the EPL, Championship, or abroad like Bundesliga, La Liga ETC) will interest many fans.

Anyways great idea from the footytube moderators, I will tell people on the Liverpool forum and have them spread the word! Cheers

~ Dan

[account-removed] 1 year ago
Excellent feedback, everyone! We'll certainly keep it in mind as we take things forward
Joeymac (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Just to add my two cents.

In the US, there's definitely sports talk radio, but obviously, football is not a topic of conversation on these radio shows. So from a perspective from someone like me, this is a great way to get a 'radio show' feel with tactical analysis, current news, and varying viewpoints from the podcast hosts. It's not something I usually hear where I live, so thumbs up for that.

As far as suggestions, you know, I'm sure technical stuff will get worked out, and so will the flow as you get more and more acquainted with it. I don't really have too much that I'd add to it. Maybe adding a predictions section for upcoming fixtures near the end of the show would heighten interest for next week, and you can keep up with predictions throughout the season? (Couldn't listen to the entire podcast, so if there's anything in there that I've suggested, I apologize).

I love the idea of getting users involved in whatever way, especially with comments from the forums. I'll just reiterate what the lads above me are saying, they've got some good criticism haha.

As for me, I like this idea, and look forward to seeing where you can go with it! Job well done
Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
I can't see a reason why dreamfooty and predictofooty don't get a mention each week, have a little chat about the top 3 in each compo etc:
Again giving users a mention, and as I said before, everyone loves a mention.... Lol
Plus it would be advertising especially for predictofooty which I think a lot of users have overlooked, and I prefer it to dreamfooty
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 1 year ago
Thanks for all the feedback folks, please do keep it coming. We're open to all your suggestions
Prophet88 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
That was a good podcast Araz, I wanted to leave a feedback but after reading some comments on here most of it is well covered. If all things considered are ironed out and everything goes well we could broadcast it on Itunes.

Oh and I hope you win your "Sizable" bet!
Jujex (Manchester United) 1 year ago
It stops every 2 minutes when I listened to it. I had to manually bring it to where it was.
Could something be wrong with the player?
The podcast itself great job.

LeDerp (Footytube Moderator) 1 year ago
No problems here mate. Might be your internet or computer or browser related problem
I have added a download link in case anyone else is experiencing issues
Jujex (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Problem fixed. Thanks
CheMaradona 1 year ago
Freaking finally we have footytube channel with some news, I think this is a brilliant idea and I can only imagine it will get better with time. Props to the staff for having good opinions and sharing information as unbiased and as intelligent as possible.

-I think there should be a link to this on every page so its easier to find than having mods sharing the link on pages.
-I understand this is a UK site but it would be nice to have a section or a different podcast for the other leagues as this site is global at this point
-Wondering why footytube decided to go with podcast and not a youtube channel since then maybe we can get some highlights and faces to go with it. I'm guessing the copyright laws would be a bit hard to get around so I get it.
-There should be a list of at what times the topics change so it will be easier to find what you actually want to listen. I for example wanted to hear about sundays games first so I had a bit of a hard time finding that.

All in all this is a fantastic idea and you guys did a formidable job and I can't wait to see the progress.

[account-removed] 1 year ago
Cheers for the feedback. CheMaradona. Just would like to point out that other leagues are going to feature as time goes on. We agree the site is global, and we're not intending to leave any of the major leagues behind. Do bear with us as we get our bearings together
CheMaradona 1 year ago
Sweet! I can't wait for my sweet sweet Barca to get in on the podcasts
Tony (footytube staff) 1 year ago
It is a uk site mate, but I would say very few of our members are british.
As I am sure you know we are massive in india and throughout asia and further afield, and as magneto said, there is plans for the other major leagues, its all looking up
Jeroen (Barcelona) 1 year ago
This is great! Even though there are a few things that can be improved, this is great listening food while doing chores. Magneto told me a bit about podcasts about the Bundesliga coming up, and I'm eagerly awaiting those too
CheMaradona 1 year ago
Oh one more thing,    It doesn't seem to work on FireFox for some reason, but it works very well on Chrome. Just a headsup to peeps.
RedFace (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Great pilot lads. Keep it up!
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Looks/Sounds great lads! Keep it up consistently, that's all I can say!
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
I listened to the podcast twice. The first time it was in the background and I wasn't really concentrating nor to be honest very interested in a pure EPL podcast. I probably wouldn't listen to a pure EPL podcast but I went through it a 2nd time so I could provide some thoughts on it.

In my second listen I enjoyed it from the standpoint of a fan which watched the highlights but didn't watch any of the matches.

I enjoyed the parts which talked about the tactics of the teams. It is great when you were in a position like me and only watched the highlights. I particularly liked the analysis on United and Spurs tactics and why you guys thought why Spurs did so well against United. You guys did a good job summarizing the games as well. My one criticism is how much time you spent talking about the two penalty incidents, especially when you started to talk about "morals" and that things were just going around in circles and you definitely dragged that out for too long.

Another issue which really bothered me when listening to it was the knowledge surrounding Pochettino. I understand that this is an EPL podcast and most EPL people don't know much about other leagues but Pochettino was La Liga's longest serving manager until he was sacked. He spent a large part of his career playing at the highest level of football. Not just that but he is the new manager of Southampton. Even a quick google search would have prepared you much better so you could talk more about it. Also, not being able to pronounce his name kind of bothered me since it was a podcast. It kind of loses its professionalism in my opinion when you aren't pronouncing names properly.

Another part which I liked was the jokes. Probably the most important part about a podcast imo as it provides its own personality through them. I think the execution of the jokes could be a bit better as a couple times you guys ended up having to explain the joke a little bit.

Although I said a couple of negative things, I did enjoy it. I'll look forward to future ones for sure, particularly the ones covering the other leagues

Thanks for the feedback, I will endeavour to work on my pronunciations also we were not trying to be flippant about Pochettino's career simply that coming to a Prem side very few people outside of Spain had heard of him and we were just trying to convey the sudden and unexpected nature of his appointment. I also find it shocking to hear he was the longest serving Manager after a mere 3 years
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Haha yeah, longest serving at 3 years is just ridiculous. Managers need more time these days. But really.... La Liga isn't that bad. Emery was at his post for a while, so was Laudrup, Simeone right now will be there for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, I do understand what you mean, but it might not be such a shock if you mentioned that he was mentioned heavily about taking over for Real Madrid eventually last year because he did such a great job with Espanyol. The problem though is Espanyol sold 5 or 6 of their starters and he had to rebuild with almost nothing
Zilch (Footytube Moderator) 1 year ago
After reading all the feedback I firstly must say thanks for the excellent feedback and the hugely positive response this is getting. But I also want to really stress for those not really interested in the EPL that this is just at the embryonic stage at this point. We are still working out kinks, throwing around ideas etc but as Magneto said, we do not intend to leave out any of the major leagues, we merely wish to concentrate our experimental phase on the league that we can best cover and is the most popular on footytube. As the idea blossoms and gains more interest you can be sure that we will expand and effectively cover all the leagues using people who are most knowledgeable to ensure our podcasts are both entertaining and informative

Kick4Life - changing lives through football