Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Footytube Modcast: Champions League
MuellersEleven (Bayern München) 1 year ago
Hey!
Would like to add 1 thing on the youth talent and the respective leagues.
Why is the Spanish and German youth lifting the leagues to were they are today?
The system. From early on the youth learns the systems which are played in the top teams Bayern, Barca, Dortmund, the national teams, the first as well as the youth teams and are early selected to best fit it! Whilst the english teams do not seem to have such a focus on one system, but instead if you look at ManU, chelsea etc and the national teams they vary stronger between 4-5-1, 4-4-2 and a defensive approach to the game vs a controlling offensive appoach and ultimately different player types ideal for the systems concerning size, speed (in full sprint vs acceleration), strength in the air, in the box, vs dribbling and so fourth.
Also ofc. The money. When you have rich foreign owners they will want their favorite players and superstars playing. The youth will have less chance to play for the respective team
Ltm017 1 year ago
Good job guys!

I really enjoyed this one, not because of content but because it was more free flowing. Like I was saying because it really works better when it sounds like you are just sitting around a table having a discussion about football. Also, I think it would be better to just go with the names you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable using a person's FT name rather than their real name go with that. If you are used to or more comfortable with their real name go with that. No one cares....

Thanks TBS I liked the little jabs you took and I think it was Thirteengoals who made the comment about Zilch.... Really funny there. Keep the jokes coming nothing wrong with throwing it out in the middle of the discussion it makes the discussion more enjoyable.

Mancini.... Smh I think he is the biggest reason for them not doing well at all.

The question of squad depth, I think that was the biggest problem for Malaga. They did bring in a few players in January, which they had to and fortunately were able to. Levante was also able to go far in EL too so I think some teams learn to manage.

You guys mentioned Germany v Italy and Bayern v Juventus. Bayern beat Juve but Italy beat Germany.

I was trying to understand what you guys were saying as the difference because the sound was going in and out. What was it age and complacency?

Hmmm I don't know about that.
MarquinhoACM (AC Milan) 1 year ago
That was probably me but I didn't really get my point across because I was getting a bit off topic and feeling rushed haha. Anyway what I was trying to say there is that previously for both Germany and Bayern Munich, it wasn't much as complacency or just choking in general, it's just they played opponents who were the favorites and generally a bit better. I had examples but I didn't have any notes down so never went properly through them:

Germany:
2002 World Cup - lost in final to Brazil
2004 Euros - lost in group stage
2006 World Cup - lost in semifinals to Italy
2008 Euros - lost in final to Spain
2010 World Cup - lost in semifinals to Spain
2012 Euros - lost in semifinals to Italy

With the exception of Euro 2004, Germany had just lost to teams that were slightly superior to them.

Bayern Munich:
09-10 Champions League - lost to Inter in the final
11-12 Champions League - lost to Chelsea in the final

I think these are the last two times Bayern have been in the finals since winning in 2001, and Inter were the better team in the final of 2010. Some could argue for Chelsea, but I think Bayern were just really unlucky to break down Chelsea's spirited efforts; they had plenty of chances to put the match away.

In reference to the Italy-Germany match (Euro 12) and the Bayern-Juve match, we can agree that both national teams were largely made up of these two teams. The difference for Juventus and Italy, though, was the creator and finisher in Cassano and Balotelli respectively. If we disregard the first leg of the tie (Juventus were no where near themselves that game), Juventus put up a good fight in the second leg in both the midfield and defence aspects of the game, but did not have the right finishers up top for a legitimate chance at a comeback, which is what they lacked from the national team that were able to outperform Germany. I don't entirely agree with complacency being the reason why, but Cloudst sort of made me agree to it

I don't have the average ages on me right now, but I believe that the average ages for both Germany and Bayern Munich at those times were significantly younger than most of the powerhouses, which could lead to inexperience, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Ltm017 1 year ago
"The difference for Juventus and Italy, though, was the creator and finisher in Cassano and Balotelli respectively. "

LOL I was thinking something similar to that. It would be something like saying the difference between the two club teams and the national teams is 3/4 players. That is why I wasn't too sure if it was complacency/age or just team dynamic. Although adding a couple younger players to either the national or club team can completely change things for better or worse.... Depending on the experience of the other players.

The difference between Germany/Bayern, Italy/Juventus and even Spain/Barcelona is about 3/4 players. You are right about Juventus though and I've always felt that was their biggest problem was finishing.

At least this is how I see...
Alfrodo (Barcelona) 1 year ago
I was excited to hear a podcast about the Champions League but the microphone quality is quite poor. Anytime someone says a word that starts with 'P' my ears feel like they are going to explode and the level of hissing and buzz is really distracting. I'd really like to listen to these podcasts but please get better mics!
Georgio (Bayern München) 1 year ago
Sluts
Cloudst 1 year ago
Love you too georgio ♥
Cloudst 1 year ago
In this modcast we discuss the Champions league games that took place, user questions and the Champion's League draw with predictions.

Music is 'Fear of Losing' by The Alaskan Pipeline.
http://www.thealaskanpipeline.com/ap2/
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Pop out window link is wrong. #fail
Zilch (Footytube Moderator) 1 year ago
Should be fixed soon mate
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Sorted

Kick4Life - changing lives through football