Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Di Matteo Question...
Eric (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Abramovich cannot afford to keep spending on managers. But really, Chelsea had no business winning that Champion's League final. Bayern didn't step to the occasion and Chelsea took it down, courtesy of Drogba who deserves the title. Really, though, if you don't want to keep offering sack fulls of money to managers, you have to show a little good faith in that you should keep Di Matteo around. If you don't keep him on board, what does that say to the rest of the managerial field? Ok I'll sign up, but I'm going to want a fantastic severance package for when you inevitably fire me halfway through the season. I mean it's crazy. Who's going to want the job if you're just going to be fire regardless of the record you produce? Obviously if a manager comes in and takes the EPL and does well in the champions league, you have to think that he'll be good to go. But really this is a team in transition, and yes I do recognize how absurd it is to refer to the team that has just won the champions league as a transition team, and there are going to be some growing pains. We'll see. Looks as if Roman may keep him on. It's almost like he didn't want them to take the champions league so he would have no issue firing Di Matteo. Such a strange man
BeefCurtains (Limerick) 1 year ago
Many people are forgetting that Di Matteo was manager at WBA in the EPL, was sacked because he couldn't stop the rot, was turned down by Birmingham and then took a step down to become an Asst Manager. These facts will not be lost on Abramovic
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 1 year ago
I thought he promoted West Brom back to the EPL. Depends if you wanna see the bottle half full or half empty
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
He should get it. Won the champions league and FA cup
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
There have been mediocre managers that have won said titles
He has won the champions league for you guys. Mourinho hiddink and scolari have not done that
What now?
Peteko 1 year ago
I think AVB was not a good match to Roman, unlike Di Matteo and Ancelotti who are such cool dudes.
They understand what others can't. There should not be any "clean house" action. Why make drastic changes when you have such a good crop of players, even if they are aging and their ego is gigantic.
I'd rather see a natural transition with younger and older players competing based on form and performance. If Terry can play better than younger alternatives, until the age of 45 while still shagging any unsuspecting mate's girlfriend then let him.
Yes, he is a prick and I wouldn't shake his hand, but unless I see a better defender wearing the blue shirt, I'd rather have him out there
Di Matteo should be allowed the Chelsea job. He has been so excellent so far. Beat Barca and won the FA cup what else do you wnt
We know the qualities of a good manager are made up by both technical/tactical ability and, how can I say, ‘power of the human heart’. Roby is capable of both. I like to think that even if the remaining targets are not achieved Di Matteo proved more than enough. I understand Chelsea will go through changes, and then why not rely on the current manager, who already knows the players and the club and is in a better position to revamp the team based on what is already there, rather than bring in yet another manager to start things from scratch. And in view of the Financial Fair play, Roby seems good quality for the money as well
Eric (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Well, well. This is a situation, I think all of us can relate, that I didn't think we'd have here. Di Matteo's Chelsea have made it through Barcelona into the Champion's League final. I think, thanks largely to Barcelona's attacking hubris. Did Pep ever consider giving Chelsea a little time on the ball to stretch them, then take over and counter? That's another topic altogether.

Let's say you're Abramovich, temper and managerial flip-flopper and all. Is Di Matteo your man for next season based on his performance with what he was left with? What if he goes on to win the Champion's League? You're practically obligated to keep him on if he wins, as this is the standard you set for all previous managers (and lets face it, more talented managers). What do you do? You probably fire him regardless huh? That's what I think will happen. Di Matteo hasn't excatly had a rough spell of things in the EPL, but his record in the Champion's League is hard to deny.... Somehow. I think it's safe to say that Chelsea rode their luck on a razors edge and perhaps the Footy Gods took pity on them. They sure as hell deserved a little luck for the '09 semifinal against Barca. It's hard to argue that Di Matteo got his tactics wrong.... Though it's not like they were a dominant force. It was certainly admirable defending and all, but really Barcelona should have won the tie 7-3 at least. That is if Messi hits his penalties and they can actually score when they should. Did Di Matteo actually catch Barca in a funk? Did he luck out into getting put into the position of appearing to orchestrate the downfall of Barcelona (over TWO legs)? Or did he really make it happen with inspiration, team selection, and tactics? Do you keep him on as your manager?

Here's the problem: the next manager is the guy who is going to have to clean the house of an ever-aging squad. I'm not saying that Di Matteo can't do it properly, but.... Ok I am saying that. Or at least questioning that. Is he the guy to continue the rebirth of this Chelsea squad? Does that matter? If Abramovich fires him, how in the hell does he find a willing replacement? If winning the Champion's League (or reaching the finals) against all odds isn't good enough then what is? I suppose that the fat paycheck will help lure anyone over to Chelsea (not to mention the severance package). How many more can he even afford to fire with Financial Fair play coming into effect? On that note, I'll open the floor.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football