Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Best Of The Rest
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
We all know how much these Messi v Ronaldo debates grinds on everyone's nerves but they are undoubtedly the world's 1st and 2nd best players respectively and probably will be for some time to come as their best years still lie ahead of them....

My question is who do you think is the 3rd best player in the world after these 2 machines of football?!

The candidates.........

Wayne Rooney.........Manchester United

Wayne is a good contender, is pretty consistent with Manchester United although he doesn't always display those talents for his country

This is by far his most memorable goal and was recently voted the best EPL goal

Neymar.........Santos
The man with the mohawk is currently one of the hottest prospects in football, but the fact he is unwilling to take his football to the european stage might just hamper his bid to be among the worlds best players, he is undoubtedly very skillful and extremely fast and has all the attributes to great wherever he plays, but has he done enough yet to be consider the best of the rest?

This was a crazy good hat-trick.........

Ribery............Bayern Munich
The French wizard really came out into the spotlight when Zidane retired I think, he carries teams to victory with his close control, dribbling skills and great vision, he also knows where the net is and has knocked in a few big goals. He is a player most managers would love to be able to call upon!

Arjen Robben.......Bayer Munich
Like his Bayern team mate he is also one of the pillars of Munich's success, he offers his team so much going forward and is always a threat to defenses when runs at them! But an injury hit career with Chelsea and Madrid has he done enough to be considered 'Best of the rest?!'

Juan Mata.........Chelsea
Mata has had a great season for Chelsea this year picking the player of the season for the club, and his passing and crossing ability has been one of the reason RDM has been able to turn Chelsea's season around, he was a clever player at Valencia but few can make the transition from La Liga to EPL successfully especially in their debut season! Does Mata get your vote?

Sergio Aguero.......Man City
Another explosive Argentinian, he is another that made the transition from La Liga to EPL with ease and has had an incredible debut season for City scoring 30 goals and rounded off by scoring that dramatic last minute goal to clinch the title for his new club!

Ok last but not least......

Robin Van Persie.........Arsenal
When the Gunners were struggling early on in the season RVP ground out results for them almost single handidly, he picked up the PFA player of the year award for his efforts and is undoubtedly the star for the Gunners, when he performs so do they and more often than not he does!

Ok that's all I'm gonna' post for now, please if you don't agree with any of my candidates post your own and a reason why they deserve to get the best of the rest award!

I haven't included any defenders or goalkeepers and they don't usually get the recognition they deserve so feel free to nominate them!
Bluesjose (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Wow.... I've never tot about this. While the top 2 pretty much picks itself, its not so clear cut for the 3rd. I know I'm not helping the purpose of this post but I can't really pick out a player to fill the 3rd spot but I can add a few more to the list: Ozil, Silva, Hazard, Hulk, Falcao
Liquidator (Chelsea) 1 year ago
I feel like you are focusing on players that play the no. 9 and no. 10 roles. Then, you should also include the two Spanish Davids, Villa and Silva
Yeah I know, I was just really making a start to the list, there are lots of players that deserve a mention that I haven't said yet, feel free to add players you think should be up there!
[account-removed] 1 year ago
These are some amazing players to start the list off with. I've always struggled with the concept of "best" players. In my view, the forward is only as good as his midfield, who're only as good as their defense, who're only as good as their GK. The same applies in reverse order. If the forward isn't doing his job harassing the defenders and forcing them to mark him with his off the ball movement, they get the chance to sit back and relax or counterattack. So how good is a player who's surrounded by people not in the same class as he is?

In this spirit, I'd like to add a few more names to the list, the not so obvious.

Roberto Soldado (Valencia): His positioning, his work ethics and his scoring rates really help propel Valencia to where it is. If he were in a "bigger" club, he'd certainly be starting for Spain at the Euros.

Antonio Di Natale (Udinese): Age hasn't tampered with his class both on and off the field. I doubt we'll see a player with that consistency with a team that isn't going to shatter any "best" pages. 3 seasons in a row with almost 30 goals per season. Absolutely outstanding player.

Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich): His class was finally recognized with the big move to Bayern, where he held an impressive record of 1000 minutes without conceding. Given the same rock solid defense of Real Madrid or Barcelona, I'd hate to go up against him.
Chargui (Arsenal) 1 year ago
I'm surprised no one mentionned Iniesta, Xavi, Ibrahimovic. They are the 3 names along with Rooney that pop to my mind if we're talking about the third best player in the world
Yeah that's my point, there are so many that could still be up there, if I mentioned every one of them what would there be left to talk about?! Lol

If I was to put forward a vote the 3rd best in my own eyes right now might be Aguero, was always an admirer of his footballing talents even before he joined City.

I just try to think of it as who would get the award if there was no Messi or Ronaldo, I think Aguero might just sneak it but, Xavi, Iniesta are likely candidates along with Ozil, Di Maria and a few others from the big 2 in the La Liga
BeefCurtains (Limerick) 1 year ago
Based on this last season, Rooney wasn't even the 3rd best in the EPL let alone the world. Vorm, Dempsey, Ben Arfa, Van Persie, etc all eclipse him. And when it comes to crunchtime in major international tournaments, he (just like the vast majority of the England team) always goes missing.

Although they had good seasons respectively, Aguero and Mata played very much within themselves, so I feel there's definitely more to come from them.

Ribery and Robben had the chance to show their 'world' class in the champions league Final against an ailing and aged team but they failed the test. Badly. On that basis alone, I don't think I could consider them 'Top 3' material.

The term 'World Class' has had its criteria soooo watered down and devalued in the last 15 years or so (and, of late, largely down to the English media and their tremendous overhyping of mediocre/rubbish English players following on the back of the 'EPL is the best league in the world' bullrawr).

Let's not forget that being a 'World Class' player entails taking a tournament by the scruff of the neck and completely owning it until the prize at the end is yours. Being a 'World Class' player means that your opponents fear your name appearing on the teamsheet. Being 'World Class' means actually winning something on the 'World' stage.

(.... And, no, John Terry doesn't count. That's a Bridge too far.)
Somere (Portmore Utd) 1 year ago
We are not talking about who had a better season we are discussing who is the third best player in the world. Do you really think Demsey, Ben Arfa or Vorm should be ranked as the 3rd best in the world? Yes Rooney goes missing in tournaments, but can you name one tournament that Messi or Ronaldo showed up in? If that's the case El hadji Diouf is the best player in the world because he grabbed world cup 2002 by the scruff of its neck, and people actually fears his name
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 1 year ago
Great post, BeefCurtains. Although I don't really agree with the very last point ("Being 'World Class' means actually winning something on the 'World' stage"), I think it's completely irrelevant and should not be a decisive factor when speaking of world class players. But for the rest, it totally hit the spot
"I think it's completely irrelevant and should not be a decisive factor when speaking of world class players. "

Well, let's just say that I come from a time when 'World Class' was measured by tangible and quantifiable WC trophies/medals.... And from a time when women had yet to discover what a 'Brazilian' really was.

*drifts into a 'bush' filled reverie*
So George Weah was never world class? Luis Figo? Johan Cruyff? Roberto Baggio? Pavel Nedved?
Double post
(God bless Thee, Edit button, and all who sail on you.)
To be honest I don't think there is such thing as a third best player. You have Messi, Ronaldo and then there is The Rest. We can try to make a point about which one of "The Rest" is better but at the end of the day you will realize that they all have qualities that will lift them and flaws that will drag them back. For example someone would make a point that RVP is the third best because he has been consistent over the past 2 seasons. Another person will make a point that Rooney has been more consistent over his career and although Rooney is younger he has more goals than RVP. But another might point out that RVP is more technically gifted than Rooney. But Rooney is more versatile than RVP.... And it goes on and on.
To end the debate I think I should be consider the 3rd best
How can their not be a 3rd best player?!

If you can have a 1st and 2nd then surely there has to a 3rd!

In 2006

1. Cannavarro
2. Zidane
3. Ronaldinho

In 2007
1. Kaka
2. Messi
3. Ronaldo

In 2008
1. Ronaldo
2. Messi
3. Torres

In 2009
1. Messi
2. Ronaldo
3. Xavi

Then it changed to the Balon d'Or.

So you see there is a 3rd placed played in each of these, so there can be a 3rd place here too!

In the Balon d'Or

1. Messi
2. Iniesta
3. Xavi

1. Messi
2. Ronaldo
3. Xavi

So there will be a 3rd placed player this year as well, that's really the point of this thread who do you think will be 3rd after the 'big 2'
Its very hard to decide. Ronaldo and Messi were exceptional maybe Juan Mata
Mata had a great season for Chelsea, but so did Gomez for Bayern only outscored by Messi in the champions league!
Alfrodo (Barcelona) 1 year ago
I realize there has to be a number 3 but I agree with Somere's initial point, which is that Messi and Ronaldo are so far above the rest that a rank order just doesn't do them justice. To clarify: In a horse race you take first, second, third etc. But it gives no information about just how far behind #3 was to #2. It could have been a fraction of a second, it could have been 10 minutes.

The only way to work around this problem is to use an interval scale and rate each player, sort of like how fifa12 does. Messi, for me, would be a 98. Ronaldo a 95. The next closest player would be Iniesta with 88. This type of system doesn't allow for that 'loss of information' like a rank order system does.

This conundrum reminds me of (forgive the childish reference) the Harry Potter world. With respect to wizards and witches you have Dumbledore and Voldemort who are practically gods. And then you have the rest that are vastly inferior and can't touch either of them. Snape is probably number three and he couldn't even take Nagini lmao. Of course, J. K. Rowling provides a glitch in the hogwartz matrix so that Harry has a chance of beating Voldy (spoiler alert: The stupid master of the wand be. S.). Everyone knows Voldy would have wiped Harry with his butt
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 1 year ago
Hulk
(Why is it that some posts have the reply bubble available and some do not? Anywho....)

@Somere: I lost interest in your post at "We are not talking about who had a better season we are discussing who is the third best player in the world. "

Unlike most, I have no problem at all in people disagreeing, etc (and, in fact, I welcome it) BUT when you pitch something so subsumed in it's own contradiction as what you have and then proceed to build your 'schtick' upon it, well...
I agree with Somere there, absolutely no contradiction there, on the contrary. A genuine question Beefcurtains: do you think that one season at top level is enough to be considered best, 2nd best or 3rd best?
I think not, excepting if you really nailed it (Ronaldo 2008 is the only exemple that comes to my mind recently). That's why I said earlier on this feed that Iniesta, Ibra, Xavi, Rooney are the first that pop to my mind, because they are here at top level for years now and still now amongst the top players in the world
(Genuinely lmao!)

Edit: Actually, rather than amuse myself watching you boys continue to make asses of yourselves, I will simply say re-read my very 1st post.

For example, no, I was not suggesting that the players named should be labelled "3rd best yadda yadda" and I wasn't stating they shouldn't. I clearly stated that for this year Rooney has been [in my opinion] outshone, so regardless of previous endeavours, he cannot be factored into the TC's equation.

This discussion has been arsed up by Somere's arrogant presupposition AND presumption. Idiocy such as "Do you really think that Demsey, Ben Arfa or Vorm should be ranked blah blah blah" and "do you think that one season at top level is enough to be considered best, 2nd best or 3rd best? I think not.... " misses the point by miles.

He (as well you, obviously) failed to latch onto the simple point I made.

Hopefully, now (without resorting to womanish 'blameshifting') you'll understand. If not, then there's no help for you.

And btw:

"So George Weah was never world class? Luis Figo? Johan Cruyff? Roberto Baggio? Pavel Nedved? "

In light of the fact that (with the exception of one) these players blew hot and cold/were inconsistent [for whatever reason] on a year to year basis really doesn't help your 'cause'.

>
Ok I give up, you don't want to discuss, you want to prove everybody wrong.
To say Weah, Nedved or Cruyff were inconsistent is total non-sense btw.
I was just saying some incredible players, "world class" players, have never won the world cup mainly because football is still a team sport. To say that a guy that has not won the WC can't be world class is a bit simple.... I could have added Raul, Eusebio, Beckham, Gerrard, etc.
See ya man
Lifeguard (Bayern München)(Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
If you're looking to find a third best player in the world I think some of the top goalkeepers in the world should also be considered. I mean, sure, they don't score as most of the mentioned people on this list, but they sure stop players from scoring - my top two goalkeepers would have to be Manuel Neuer and Iker Casillas. These two have to be the best in the world - not that there aren't others who come close. Neuer held Bayern in many of their games singlehandedly this season as Bayern's defence wasn't always a defensive stronghold.

And defensemen aren't usually considered the best players in the world either.... So then, by what standard are we judging players as "the best"? By their ability to score? I think that to aptly decide on a third best player some consideration has to be given to those who are on the other side of Ronaldo and Messi - and stop them from doing what they do best
I totally agree Paul, I was hoping someone would bring it up too, Keepers deserve as much credit for me as the attackers sometimes, Cech is another one who deserves a mention he has been so consistent for years now.

Good defenders that win games for you as well are difficult to come by, Puyol was one in his day as was Ferdinand, Maldini was another of those, I know they are not present day, do any of our present day defenders match up to those guys in their prime though?
"I was hoping someone would bring it up too, Keepers deserve as much credit.... "

Apparently someone already did.

Beef - I did see after writing this magneto mentioned Neuer, but it wasn't his whole argument so I left mine as it was, unedited
David Silva is got to be pretty high up that list after his performances at the Euro's so far I reckon, 3 assists and a goal in the 4-0 thrashing of Ireland is a pretty stand out performance!

Mario Gomez notching 3 goals so far too has done his case no harm, I wonder if after the Euro's we'll have a better indication of who should be right up there with the worlds best?

Should CR7 fall down that list at all, he has been pretty average so far, failing to carry his Portugal team mates to a single win yet and has not found the net yet either!
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 1 year ago
Iniesta of course. He's a permanent threat. His vision, tactical dribbling ability, passing, finishing and intelligence are top class. Plus, Iniesta can defend.... His positioning is remarkable when it comes to winning the ball back, he does that so well in order to prevent the opposition from coming out with the ball nice and quick. Which has often been vital for Spain/Barca.

Iniesta is a beast handsdown. I love David Silva but from an objective point of view Iniesta is definitely the best player regardless of Messi and Ronaldo

Kick4Life - changing lives through football