Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Success Or Failure?
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
So the season is in its infancy and some teams are already in a position where they will expect to finish while others have much higher expectations than where they sit after less than a handful of games.

My question to the footytube community is what where would you draw the line for what is a successful season or one of failure and disappointment
For Barca, keeping in mind that it is Tito's first season and the personnel which we have I would rate failure as anything less than 2nd place in the league. I would consider pushing Madrid for La Liga until the last match day or two as a successful season in La Liga although it would be painful to see this 8 point lead slip away so easily.

In Copa del Rey, I really don't have many expectations because it is the trophy of least significance. I still feel that we should play every match to win but if the fixture was sandwiched between a champions league knockout match and a signature La Liga fixture I wouldn't have high expectations on the CdR fixture as long as the other two were good performances and victories.

Still I would hope for a semi-final berth for this competition.

The Champions League is probably the most difficult one to judge as the draws can be so unpredictable. With Barca being given a group stage without what I think most of us would consider top level competition I would expect to qualify by the 4th match and in the end win the group as well.

I'd say failure would be to fail at the quarter final stage but regardless of results I expect Barcelona to put out the product of football which we are known for
Borg (Manchester United) 2 years ago
What about your expectations for the Whitecaps?
They have already passed expectations. I wanted them to at least fight for a playoff spot. Pretty good goal for a team which finished dead last the year before. It just sucks that they have been really inconsistent. Start off strong.... Then faded off
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
For me mate nothing more than running away with the 3rd Division will do, we have players that should and still could be playing in the SPL so it should be a walk in the park, winning the league by less than at least 10 points is a failure! Lol

As for the cups, well I want to reach at least a final and the Semi-final in the other, winning one of the bigger cups would be a big bonus for us and it would give the team and the players the belief that we can still compete!

We find ourselves in an odd position and maybe it's taking a while to adjust to our surrounds but being a Rangers fan I still expect good things this season!
BeefCurtains (Limerick) 2 years ago
The very fact that this topic exists/question has been asked is, in itself, tacit confirmation that the only real relevant criterion for 'success' that should matter has been watered down, cheapened and denigrated to (the fallacious thus ultimately self-defeating) 'everyone's-a-winner' status.
Borg (Manchester United) 2 years ago
For me, we would need to win either the champions league or Premier League to consider the season successful. I've been wanting us to badly win the FA Cup for the past 3 seasons but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a priority anymore

Kick4Life - changing lives through football