Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Southamptons Nigel Adkins Sacked
Lifeguard (Bayern München)(Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Nigel Adkins deserves better. As an outside EPL fan looking in, I have enjoyed watching Southampton's style of play and thought they were doing fairly well under Adkins. What possessed the owners to sack him is beyond me...
Jerrold777 (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Oh my goodness back to back promotions and you get sacked, what a joke. He deserves a statue outside the stadium
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Honestly Matt, even if you got relegated Adkins should have kept his job, you guys overachieved coming to the PL in the first place, Honestly Adkins is such a legend for all he has done as manager, and to be treated like dirt is rather appalling, he had fixed his earlier mistakes and was doing well, he even masterclassed Rafa tactially
Rubin (Inter Milan) 1 year ago
Quite shocking indeed. Southampton is above the relegation zone and you can't expect much more than that from them as they are a newly promoted team. Now I hope they get relegated, so that the chairman learns a good lesson
Djbeltiburon (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Adkins didn't deserve the sack. Shame; the man looked like a clever bloke
RedFace (Manchester United) 1 year ago
It really is a shocking decision. After amazing back to back promotions, the objective is to stay up in the premier league. You are above the relegation zone and just picked up a great point away at stamford bridge.

I've lost a bit of respect for the club, actually its the chairman. I just hope adkins can find a club and much more importantly a chairman that can stick by him. I can only see this new appointment as a bad thing for the club
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
After a brilliant draw against Chelsea and settling into Premier League life well (7th in the form tables over the last 11 games). Nigel Adkins has been sacked to allow for the appointment of young coach Mauricio Pochettino.

Nigel Adkins took over the reigns at Southampton when the club was in League 1 and over saw promotion to the Championship after finishing second in the league. He then went on to steer the club to promotion in their first season in the championship confounding experts opinions.

A tough run of fixtures started life in the Premier League but the team still put in good performances against the current top two.

The fans have always been right behind Nigel even when certain quarters of the press started rumours of his impending dismissal.

To say the sacking has been a bit of shock is something of an understatement and I can only imagine that it will have a negative impact on the dressing room with most of the players having been with Adkins since league 1. There is even rumours that Mauricio Pochettino has a very basic grasp of English.

Southampton until recently always had a reputation of sticking with managers for the long term and I honestly thought we were going some way to winning that reputation back by getting behind Adkins for the long term that clearly is not the case.

I know little about Mauricio Pochettino save for what I have just read but I do know he like rafa at Chelsea will have to have an exceptional start to his career to win over the fans who will feel blindsided by this strange appointment

Kick4Life - changing lives through football