Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
So Who Is Going To Surprise Us This Year?
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
I gotta' go with Schalke 04 to upset the apple cart and play Barca for the Champions League title this year! With Raul and Boruc they have a real shot. Man United are playing very well right now but will they get their customary " gifts " or not?

I am not enthralled by Chelsea at all.... Real has the talent for sure and they now have the right leader in Jose, so they could do it.... The Spurs are just so happy to be there that they will wake up at some point and see the scoreboard and sigh....

My other pick has to be Shaktar! What a fun team to watch! So who do you think will surprise all of us?
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
I think you pretty much have it covered there, with regards to surprises - the only 2 teams left in the competition that would cause a major shock by winning the competition would be the aforementioned Schalke and Shaktar.

I suppose the real question should be "can anyone beat Barcelona? ", but I see that question has been posed a million times already
They can be beaten.... It's easy. Kidnap Messi.... Knee cap Xavi.... Poison Iniesta.... Maybe then...
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Lol at Reidscott

The drawing is on friday and let me tell you.... I want any team to face Barca except for Shaktar. They just feel very threatening right now
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
A Barca-Real finale would be epic if only because of Jose, but only an English team can stop Barca now
Hahahahahah.... Now that is funny.... Barca are so far in Real's head that after they score the 1st goal, CR9 will fake an injury to get the hell outta' there fast.... Could end up 7-0...
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
I got the feeling that we're gonna' have another Real v Barca clash in the champions league this year
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
I think Barca are going to suprise us this year. Lmao
You may be right.... If they manage to lose.... A lot of people would be very happy about that. I love Barca.... But one part of me would like to see Schalke or Spurs or Shaktar win it just because it is good to see those once every 20 years.... Something to remember and talk about. But this Barca side is better than the 08-09.... So prob not gonna' happen. Hell their bench would probably win the Italian and French cups!
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
That's exactly what I meant lool.
I would really like Schalke or Tottenham to make it,

Honestly at the begining of the year me and a buddy made a makeshift champions league tournament in FIFA 11, all the same teams in the champions league now, we went through all the group stages and Knock Outs, and believe it or not, (neither me or my bud are Hottspur fans), but they made it to the final and won. A sign? ? ? ? Maybe I dunno lol, but it was very interesting non the less
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I really feel that all favourites tags are tossed out the window. Many will argue that Barca are the favourites but we have to remember that they dominated Arsenal because they didn't seem to be up to the tactical challenge.

I really do think that Shahktar are going to do well because they will really benefit from their home leg. Their fans will add a 12th man onto the field and the weather itself could take a man away from their opponents. They are the team that everyone will have to do their homework on
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
It was 4-3! You cannot say the tactics were wrong
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
In the return leg can you say that they were right?
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Lol@they didn't seem to be up to the tactical challenge

Where'd you get that one from mate? Our tactics were to limit you guys to the wings while trying to get forward. We were doing our job because Barca had TWO shots on goal when it was 11 v 11. Your players are short and you don't often cross the ball. We didn't get forward very well as we missed Song and Walcott and there was no chance after the sending off. Barca's tactics were to try and draw us out by passing the ball around (their tactics in every game) or dive around to get the other team carded (as usual.) But our tactic was to be patient and when you came towards goal we were handling the numerous misplaced through balls. The only tactic for us left after the ridiculous sending off was to hold on and not concede too much.

Aaanyway, I feel Shaktar will come away with it this year. Shaktar and Chelsea at Wembley
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Our aim was to let you run yourselves ragged in the first half and hit you on the counter in the second (a tactic which worked wonders at emirates), so yes, the tactics in the 2nd leg were completely right. The sending off of RVP was unfortunate and you can make the arguement that if he was in Bendtners place, we would have gone through.

The fact is the tie was 4-3 and if Bendtner had put away his chance you were out. It was that close. A fact that alot of Barcelona fans fail to acknowledge.

And Shaktar FTW
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yeah, the tactics could have worked if RVP wasn't controversially sent off. Shaktar have done a great job in beating Roma in the last round and they are a team with the potential to cause a shock in the next round
Anirudhkitt (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
I do agree with some of your points but its not like defensively you did great. What I don't understand is if you have to complain about the referee, what about messi's penalty and disallowed goal in the first leg. Care to respond?
And they sometimes they can dive, so what? As if arsenal players have never dived

And here is your legend diving:

Please stop complaining about the referee
I think we did well defensively. Of course playing against a team as good as Barcelona, you'll have to make last-ditch tackles which is par for the course. I mean, it's not like we conceded 5 goals in one game without answer like Real Madrid right?

As for the diving and gamesmanship, of course I know every team does it to a certain extent but you can't honestly tell me, teams playing against Barcelona in the Nou Camp don't suffer from Barcelona players conning the ref.

With regards to the disallowed goal and the penalty, this is more proof of the incompetence of the referees. Just so you know, I don't only complain when the ref makes mistakes in our favour. The game should be free from controversial, incompetent decisions otherwise, can you really call it a competition?
Sounds fair to me because its your point of view. But honestly I doubt any one else would say that arsenal defended well. Of course I do agree that the gameplan against barcelona was good, but the execution was far from being competitive.

And yeah we capitulated at the camp nou, but what gives me hope for the future fixture is that we were not scared of attacking them and the 2 goals that knocked out our breath were defensive errors. Well what can I say, I was supporting arsenal in the match up and was disappointed. Hopefully we will learn something from these matches and act upon them
Yeah, it's true what you say about our execution being poor. Because whenever we intercepted the ball we quickly lost it again. I was more upset about our inability to get forward than the way we defended because we needed to score.... But after seeing both of the fixtures, I'm pretty sure Barcelona won't have an easy time getting to the final. In fact, I'm excepting a couple of big giants to fall in the next round, leaving Shaktar a clear run to Wembley. I'm hoping Eduardo scores a hat-trick against Barca
Well we will see in a couple of weeks time. Best of luck for the rest of your title challenge.

Btw, do you think that arsenal have a problem with their mentality? I mean that sometimes in big matches, or towards the end of the season they seem to capitulate. What do you make of all the criticism?
Well, there's no smoke without fire I think. Some players are too negative or appear unwilling to push beyond their physical limits and sacrifice everything for victory at times.

I also believe we have talented players but some of the players are a little pampered. My theory is most of the current players are around the same age so nobody can really shout at each other to perform. Or if they do it won't have an effect. It's kind of like being in a company where if your boss is the same age as you, he probably won't be able to intimidate you into doing your job properly should the necessity arise.

Also, because we need players to stay as long as possible at the club, they get good contracts from a young age. Gone are the days of low salaries for apprentices and so, gone are the days of playing and improving in order to get a better contract. It's rough because on the one hand, we don't want to be a "selling club" but on the other hand we don't want to promoting an environment where players do only just enough to get paid. So, it seems like the money is creating a malaise in some of the players.

That would explain capitulating in a game but as for the later stages of a season, we usually start off hot and sweaty but then injuries that crop up in November and December used to ultimately lay waste to our squad. This season, it seems like some of the key attacking players got their annual injury early in the season. Keeping my fingers crossed for our injured defenders though. Hopefully, we can carry on and give a good account of ourselves this year.

Best of luck to you too in your title challenge against the Blaugrana!
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think arsenal's victory was a symbol of hope, maybe they are the best, but they can be beaten
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Any team can be beaten. You just gotta' have the perfect trained players, like Milan! Lol just kidding
Preparation is Key!.... But sometimes luck or a poor decision by the ref could change the whole result. Anything can happen in football
Shaktar are going to have to do a lot of homework if they want to have any chance of eliminating barca
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
I wouldn't bet on Schalke, I think they've pretty much reached their limit by progressing to the quarters (I could be wrong though). Tottenham and Shakhtar stand a much better chance, at least judging by their convincing performances so far (minus the Spurs match vs Milan at the WHL, better teams would capitalize on that)
I disagree.... Spurs have some issues with defending.... They can be scored upon. Schalke has a much better D
I`m not seeing schalke beating Inter at this point. After a poor start this season, the nerazzuri are getting stronger these days. Eto`o, Sneijder, Zanetti, Maicon, Pazzini and Pandev are doing great. Against Lecce, Inter created many chances, and played well overall, but they`re quite sloppy at the back.
Seriously from what I`ve seen against Valencia, it`s gonna' be very difficult for Schalke defenders. Tough job for their new coach too
OOps.... Yu lose....
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
I have to say, those were some horribly wrong predictions of mine.... Good job sensing that Schalke could pull it off, Reid
Lol wow Congrats to Ralf Rangnick, what a result for the ex-Hoffenheim coach! He surely understands the game very well  
DiegoFrodo (Barcelona) 3 years ago
The Champions league after the group round is such a difficult tournament, played at the highest level (much higher than the world cup), and given that they are knock out rounds, and a small mistake can go as far as ending the season for a team, I think there cannot be real favorites. It feels almost as milimetric as Tennis by the final rounds
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
For me its either Manchester United and Real Madrid. Both of those teams are performing really well....comparing to Milan.... Anyways Manchester United has the MAN Rooney and Real has the curse breaker which is Benzema . They both are goal scorers and assist makers. Now the UEFA champions league has been extraordinary for now. The excitement will begin soon when Manchester United is against Real Madrid (If possible). Now that, I can predict, but later on if they can meet each other
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I will be surprise if Chelsea win it. As much as I want them to win it, they just are that strong attacking wise. Defensively, it's bad that Luiz is not able to play in the Champions League for Chelsea
I disagree, our attack is the only part of our team that isn't working. We have the best defence in the league, and Alex is back for champions league, honestly our champions league hopes are all on if our attack starts working again!
Dude I love your passion.... But Torres is still lost out there. Your D is great.... But what happened to the oh? If they start to score like last year they will make it.... If not.... See ya
I also think it would be kind of a surprise if we won the champions league this year barca are unstoppable
That's my point reid. If attack clicks, and yes I do have passion, but I aint blinded by it
Sam (Juventus) 3 years ago
Guess Chaconche had a nightmare about Shaktar and now it has become a reality.... They are a great attacking side and I believe they would have been a handful for any of the other teams in the draw but, just like Arsenal, they drew Barca at the worst of times
Sam once again is right. As much as I would love to see some fresh blood in the final.... Barca will win this. Their experience is just to much for the New Kids On The Block
It would take a miracle for shaktar to be in the semis, I think barca is going to beat them easily
I doubt schalke will progress much further and I think Inter have enough quality to eliminate them

Kick4Life - changing lives through football