Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Smoking In Stadiums. Your Thoughts?
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Barcelona are starting a campaign to discourage smoking at the stadium. They have already banned it in public passages throughout the stadium. From my understanding English clubs have already moved on this and it appears to have done well.

This was posted on another football site and was debated. I am a non-smoker so I really don't see much of a downside to this decision. I know if I was sitting near a smoker it would kill my enjoyment because my throat is sensitive to smoke and gets dry and sore near any kind of smoke.

Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Kill your enjoyment? If you're watching your favourite team at the stadium, who cares about smoke? It's in the open, anyway
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I used to be a smoker but never smoked at a football match, there was too much going on to be stopping for a cigarette!
Definitely ban it, its banned from all public places like restaurants and bars in Scotland and when I was a smoker I thought this would be shite having to go out in the rain for a smoke(I'm from Scotland it always rains here!) but turns out didn't really bother me and going home not stinking of stale smoke didn't bother me either, your there to watch football not breathe in other peoples smoke and its harmful to those around, I can't wait to take my kid to his first football match but i'd be a little apprehensive to go if I knew he'd be breathing in second hand smoke!
Fair enough if your old enough to decide for yourself but children go to football matches all the time and they certainly don't need this!
At the time I wasn't for it but now looking back I think it was a great move and other countries should and will follow suit!
Mate I've been going to matches since I was 6, and everyone smokes in the stadiums in Croatia. I really don't understand what the problem is. I like to smoke a few cigarettes when I'm watching the match, especially when I'm nervous, nothing wrong with that. It's a football match, not a sunday mass, for godssake!
There used to be smoking sections, so people who are not smoking don't need to be anywhere near the people that are!
You are always going to have a 50/50 argument with this because its still allowed in stadiums all over Europe, but here in Britain it has been banned for a while now and on the whole its been fine, you might get some cranky people during matches but I think people can go 90 mins without one, they just stuff there faces with a pie instead!
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
It's been banned for a while in England because Bradford City stadium was burnt down in 1985. A discarded cigarette and a dilapidated wooden stand, which had survived because the club did not have the money to replace it, were considered to have conspired to cause the worst disaster in the history of the Football League. I think that was probably the main reason and of course now smoking is banned everywhere anyway for health reasons......

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/11/n...

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_disaster...
Ak47gunner (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Hell its pretty much been banned in all public places in america.... Even some bars.... Ohhh the things that are wrong with our country
I think it's redicilous to ban smoking in stadiums.... Goddamn punks
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I actually agree with banning smoking from stadiums. I think it's just terrible, there are several other people in the stadium that are going to be breathing in all that second hand smoke and some of them are going to be the younger kids that come to watch the games
I can understand that some people find smoking irritating, but second hand smoke has to be one of the most ludicrous inventions ever. Please don't buy that crap about second hand smoke, I assure you it's nonsense. 20-30 years age people were smoking everywhere, even in hospitals, and no one complained about it, and now they bitch at you if you smoke in the open?! Thank God in Croatia we don't have this rule (yet), but if someone tried to make put out a cigarette, they would have to do it physically.

I don't see how you can say that second hand smoke is a made up thing. Everyone knows that there are numerous chemicals in cigarettes and that several of them are found in cigarette smoke.

It is a fact that second hand smoke is in fact real and harmful. I don't see how you can deny this
Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I'm not denying it occurs, what I meant was it's completely blown out of proportion. Phrases like ''second hand smoking kills" annoy the hell out of me. My point is that if you bring a kid to the match and someone near him is smoking, nothing is gonna' happen to him. He would have to inhale thousands of cigarettes before any effect would start to take place
Look I'm not trying to say anyone is going to get killed or anything but I'm sure loads of people will be irritated and if a lot of people do decide to smoke during a match the atmosphere will be terrible and everyone would just be coughing the entire match
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Must have been 5 years or more back, I was smoking in the old trafford concourse area, which is inside the ground to any of you familiar with the place.
Anyway this guy in a suit approached me and asked me would I mind putting the cigarette out?
I looked at him as if he had three heads, as there was others around me smoking, so I asked him why he had asked me?
He said he worked for the club, and they were just trying to gauge the fans reactions to a new non smoking policy within the ground, which they were introducing next season, even before the national smoking ban came in.
He said I didn't have to put the cigarette out if I didn't want to, as there main job was to make smokers aware of the following seasons no smoking policy.
I did put the cigarette out, and never lit another one in old trafford since.
I still love and enjoy a smoke, but surely you can do without one for 90 minutes.
So utd were one of the first clubs to bring in the no smoking policy
And I am pretty sure it is safe to say that the negative effects of this ban are fairly minimal?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I don't smoke cigarettes, bud I don't really mind being around people that do, I lot of my friends do. I could see that there is a tradition of people smoking at football matches, and I think cigarette smoke probably really isn't going to hurt you that bad if you are around, kids maybe more sensitive. So I am kind of neutral I could see both points of view, I surely think that it isn't too much to ask people to go 90 minutes without a cigarette, drink a beer or six if you are feeling in the need of consuming something
You can't bring your beer to your seat at old trafford, you must drink it in the concourse area, although they are selling it to you.
They will let you to your seat with, tea, coffee, soft drinks etc:, but not the alcohol.
Ok you can still watch the match on tv screens in the concourse area, but you might aswell sit in the house or the bar with a drink.... Lol
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I don't smoke and can't really see any downsides to the ban. Most public places have already banned smoking because many people don't like the smoke in the air (I know I don't it's hard to breathe in).

It's to discourage smoking as well, it's horrible for you
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I don't smoke, and whoever does (no hate fest), your hurting the others around ya! So don't hurt tens of thousands of people.    
For every cigarette I smoke, I'm harming myself, risk to others is minimal.
Tell me the same thing ayyam when you get your first car, your fumes WILL be killing 1, 000's, so why not ban cars? .... I don't drive
Never thought of it that way. Interesting argument
A VERY interesting argument mate, most of these anti smoking crew ALL drive big cars, but you don't hear me moaning, and trying to get them taken off the road.
Yeah your right Tony but even if I didn't drive i'd still use public transport such as planes and Trains, not buses though I hate buses!
As I said above its always going to be 50/50, I don't mind people smoking around me, I used to do it all the time and would not ask people not to do it just because I didn't, different story around children though but I think most people know not to smoke around kids!
Depending on how drunk I get I still sometimes have the odd one, been a while though!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I quit smoking ten years ago. Now it bothers me when others smoke. Lol. But I used to smoke like a chimney. Man, those days
I can't see this kind of a ban being lifted in the countries that impose them. What if the majority of the adults in the crowd came to a match all with cigarettes and were smoking? Now I know if there was one person sitting near you smoking nothing would happen to you but what if there were loads of them all smoking?
YounGunz (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Make a designated 'smokers stand'    Jobe done
SaHac (Hamburger SV) 3 years ago
This might just be me, but I think there are different ways of smoking. I don't smoke, but i've been around enough to notice the difference. There are.... Sort of conscious smokers who try not to smoother people around them and puff upwards etc. And there are more annoying people who just don't care at all and will tap the ash an inch from your face.

Jeez.

Just chew tobacco. No smoke!
Ha ha yeah I know what you mean, I had a mate who used to blow the smoke as far away from himself as he could, he didn't want to stink of smoke! Lol

Then you get the people that let the smoke roll up their face while they smoke, used to know a guy that constantly had a roll up stuck to his bottom lip, never really thought about it like that but there are many different types smokers!
That is a good point. It really makes a big difference when the smoker makes an effort to not affect the people around them

Kick4Life - changing lives through football