Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should UEFA Impose A Salary Cap?
Lifeguard 1 year ago
Teams such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, and Manchester City, all have big name, big price tag players on them, which keep them top ranked year after year. Some years you wish a no name team would win it all, and upset some of the big teams. But that looks as if it could never happen. Realistically. Unless.... Suppose UEFA forced all teams to have a salary cap. Now, there are many ways this could work:
1. You could have a single salary cap for all teams, X amount of dollars, no more for any one team.
2. You could have a salary cap based on number of supporters and revenue, the more revenue and supporters you have, the larger your cap is by xx%.
3. You could also have a cap based on previous year's performance in your league

Supposing a cap could be implemented, would it work? Would more teams have a chance at winning their leagues and the Champions League if top teams were forced to cut good players to meet the salary cap? Would the leagues be more exciting due to more team equality of skill and therefore closer games with less predictable outcomes?
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
I don't think the cap would work. In all honesty it doesn't really work even in the American leagues which use it. NBA will have 8 teams out of the 30 which have a realistic chance of winning it while now it really seems to be 4 or 5 teams.

Another thing worth noting is the different tax systems in play which would make a 5 million player in England worth different than a 5 million player in Spain

NHL is a little better but we still see players with a strong preference to go to one of the "Originals" or a team in a big market.

MLS is a lot better but you still see these big name players only wanting to go to LA or NY although to be fair they don't necessarily live by these salary cap rules.

Uefa is just too big to enforce a rule like this and the clubs already have so much power as well.

Speaking from a Barcelona fan perspective I would really hate a salary cap, not because it would limit success but because we have so much home grown talent that we wouldn't be able to compete against other teams for their names.

If UEFA ever wanted to enforce some kind of thing like this I would hope they would so something like what MLS does with designated players and have a max amount count towards the cap, ie home grown players wages will only hold 50% against the cap. Another thing is that there must be limits to the amount of players a team is allowed to have and loaning out a non-home grown player would count towards that team limit.

So teams which like to buy several youngsters a year and then loan them out right after won't be able to do that as much.

I would also put a part in it where teams which change their managers often would suffer while the ones which have manager stability would benefit
Lifeguard 1 year ago
I like the idea of forcing teams to have more "homegrown talent" or even players from their schools that they run all the way from young to senior squad.

My other question then is, is there a way to make more teams competitive on the same level as top ranked teams, maybe without spending as much money?
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
Its tough to say since money is the key to everything in this sport.

Maybe there should be a system where every team has to pay a "competition fee" which depends on their standing from the previous season and that gets allocated out depending on previous season results. I think another thing which can be implemented is the league gets money for every transfer made.... A tax which varies depending on financial position which then gets distributed among the lower teams

Kick4Life - changing lives through football