Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should The Pre-match Handshake Be Scrapped?!
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
The pre-game handshake is supposed to support this idea of sportsmanship but the fact that it is enforced instead of optional just really takes away the purpose so I would be in agreement with the removal of a pre-game handshake.

I don't think the FA would every identify this as a problem because they are stubborn donkeys and because the fact that clubs get money for every kid that comes out of the tunnel and walks beside the players.

The FA really handled the Terry-Ferdinand events with the poorest of judgement and instead of dealing with it professionally they just put the spotlight on the whole issue. The media is to blame as well.

The FA (all FA's big and small) need to get their heads out of their arses and deal with the bigger issue which is sportsmanship ON THE field because it seems no one but the fans care about that.

It might just be me but I feel that Football as a whole looks at American sports and always look for ways to differentiate from them instead of learning from them. No sport is perfect but I feel the American sports are much better managed and aren't stubborn to change when it is needed
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Just learned that Palermo's manager is the first casualty....

FA's should work on some kind of protection for managers so that a team like Palermo can't go through 15 managers in 3 seasons (slightly exaggerated)

Edit: it is actually 9 manager sackings in 3 seasons.
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
The mascot could still walk out onto the pitch get a photo taken with the captain of each side and walk off again, no need for the hand shake.

Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
It should most definetly be scrapped.
Rugby is a game looked upon as the model to all of us regarding sportsmanship, fairplay etc:, yet of all rugby union or rugby league don't have a pre match handshake, and the handshaking is left until after the match, and if theres someones hand you don't want to shake you just don't go near them, simple as that.
But with the evra/suarez and terry/ferdinand debacles the football has been forgotten in favour of wether someone has a meaningless handshake or not.
So let the headlines be about the game and not some handshake, its so stupid
Couldn't agree more Tony, the way it takes the focus off the game before it's even kicked off is rediculous!

How the guys up stairs at the FA can't see this is beyond me, they must like the controversies!
With all the news about John Terry and Ashley Cole being snubbed for handshakes at the weekend is this whole thing really necessary?!

I remember the days when the teams went out on the field lined up and played 90 minutes of football then shook hands on the way off the field congratulating each other on how well they did or did not play.

Internationals were the only time they lined up for handshakes once they had stood for each others anthems.

This thing about lining up and shaking hands before the match is now just a way for the media to make a mountain out of molehill, the Evra/Suarez, Terry/Bridge and now Terry/Ferdinand thing could have been completely avoided, but the English FA insist on it and this will continue to put players under the spotlight.

If this was scrapped Terry and Ferdinand could have walked off the field at the end of the match and just ignored each other and this whole thing would have probably blown over sooner, now it will continue to drag on because they insist on the pointless handshake before matches!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football