Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should The MLS Be Included In The UEFA Champions League Tournament?
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 5 years ago
I'm not really a big MLS fan even though I live in Canada but the thought occured to me that if UEFA wants football to grow in North America that maybe they might try inluding a couple of the top teams from the MLS. I'm not entirely sure how it would unfold in regards to how many teams and how it would affect Europes top teams in qualifying for the tournament but I think this question has some legitimacy. Now I know that this question is going to recieve love and hate from footytubers but I will let the answer be up to you
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Getting european teams and MLS teams to fly half way round the globe weekly for competition? The only people still laughing will be the airlines. Anyway, its impossible. Uefa want nuts to do with MLS
Striker7 5 years ago
MLS teams should stick to the concacaf competitions along with FMF and Central American leagues, not because I think their level is inferior to most Euro teams, but for these reasons: For one, Andydelz is right, but in my opinion, he's only right about the trouble weekly trips. Second of all, I think MLS teams haven't played enough Euro teams one-on-one enough to see how competitive they are against the likes of them
Fidalgo10 (FC Porto) 5 years ago

Andydelz (AC Milan) 17 hours ago

"Getting european teams and MLS teams to fly half way round the globe weekly for competition? The only people still laughing will be the airlines. Anyway, its impossible. Uefa want nuts to do with MLS"

I'm gonna' have to quote mr andydelz he's pretty much hitting it on the head.... But its not that they don't want nothing to do with them cause money is money and some profit is always a profit, the UEFA champions league is clearly a european competition might as well have USA play in the euro's lool if MLS is in champions league lol....

In due time many players from europe will end their careers in the MLS. Steve Nash co-owner of the Vancouver White Caps has been quoted to say that one day maybe he'll get his good friend Thierry Henry to play for Vancouver. Due Time.... The days of old when the NPSL was a rich league, will one day come back to north america.... But which superstars will fill the seats now? Pele was then who now?
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
It would be interesting to compare American and European teams. But I say no. In Premiership, clubs in the big four is already almost 3 football games a week (league, FA Cup, European competitions) Imagine traveling to play in america (jet lag, schedule upheaval, how fans follow their team....)
The only possible meeting is for the world championship clubs
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Look at what UEFA stands for and think about this question you asked  Not being mean but...
I know what it stands for but the point has already been made that teams form Russia and other countries outside of Europe play in the tourney. And no worries about sounding mean dude just look at the some of the other comments posted on this thread. Some people just can't hold back from being rude
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
No, Russia is part of UEFA. Every team that's in the UEFA champions league is part of UEFA
I'm not unaware as to what UEFA stands for or which clubs play within UEFA. The whole idea behind this thread was to discuss the subject of UEFA experimenting with MLS clubs to help the growth of football in North America. This is all in the best interest of football fans around the world. When people think I posted this because I have no idea about the minor technicalities of UEFA rules and guidelines they are not getting the question. It is very simple. How does any sport grow without experimenting and expanding?
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
The idea is just idiotic and will never happen. Sorry just being blunt with you
Juno (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Well, the next best way to improve MLS level is to play in the liberatores(sp?) south american equivalent of Uefa champions league. Mexican teams can enter so I dun see why US cannot. Just like what USA did when it is international competition like Copa America
Keong (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Yup, that competition will boost the MLS tremendously if they can take part!
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
No.

Maybe in the world club cup or something, but heres why.

1. UEFA is the european organization, north america is like a sort of separate jurisdiction.
2. The skill level is not there. The mls is filled with players who never made it into europe, or couldn't play in europe anymore. Perhaps an all-star team of mls players could survive in the europa league.
3. If mls teams could play in Europe, why not south american, asian, and african teams?

I do agree that it would help the mls leaps and bounds if they had more interaction around the world. The preseason game between real madrid and TFC was unreal. Christiano Ronaldo, playing in toronto! Who'd have thought it!
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Exactly. They let mls team play in it and teams like boca juniors, corinthians, river plate, etc. Will want in on the money that comes with the champions league as well. Just doesn't work. Mls has its own champions league with south america
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Completely agree Riggs, by Definition MLS can't compete, it's UEFA (european).    And secondly the MLS would offer no serious competition.
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
You are absolutely right. Can not mix all the teams in the world if there is no identity.
World Cup of Clubs is the only tournament possible between the different clubs in different continent
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Well the biggest issue all the clubs would have is so much traveling and all the games wouldn't start the same time because timings are different everywhere. Plus Europeans teams are much more competitive than MLS. You already have clubs complaining when they go to Turkey or Russia and if you go to the US for a game on Wednesday, your going to be traveling for almost an entire day and will arrive back late on Thursday, your going to be jet lagged till Friday and then you have to start on Saturday in the morning. Would be very very tough
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
No offense, but this is perhaps one of the silliest questions that I read on footytube haha its the UEFA champions league so only European clubs should take part. The MLS are in concacaf, and take part in their champions league. Every region has there own champions league so why should the MLS be included in UEFA's? The MLS would get destroyed anyway, and it would be very embarrassing. No thanks. If the MLS want to play against a big European team then they need a team to win their tournament then go play them in the club world cup
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
What would people think about this idea:

We already have a world cup every four years (2010, 2014). We already have European (regional) championships in the years between (2012), hows about between those years (eg 2011, 2013), in the summertime, there is a tournament where each team that won their league from perhaps the top 8 or 16 footballing nations (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc) goes into a club-based world cup. Kind of like an International Champions League played in the off season? Man United, Barca, Wolfsburg

I know we have similar things running now, like the "World club championship" but it is a total joke of a tournament and something any team should be embarrassed to enter.

Would this be too many games for a player?
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I think players deserve breaks from time to time and to take away one of the few they get just wouldnt work. The MLS schedule would aslo have to be taken into consideration. There simply wouldnt be enough time to do this as great as it would be to watch
SCBlue (Chelsea) 5 years ago
BlueSkies is right mate, listen I'm all for footy growing here in the States. It kills me to watch the MLS as there just isn't the talent needed to even groom a national team of any consistent quality.

The summer preseason tours of the US by major European teams is great. The European teams get a nice knock around as a warm up, the MLS teams get to play against true quality (despite the lack of urgency from the major clubs) and the American supporters get to see the true football giants play live and in person.

Besides as it's been said 100x before the MLS would be humiliated. Hell we can't even win our OWN champions league, what's to say we would even win a GAME against top European talent in games that were of any importance
Fidalgo10 (FC Porto) 5 years ago
I like this idea but I'm gonna' have to agree that it would just be too much.... With all the club league matches, national cups, international friendlies club and nation friendlies tournies andddddd publicity anddd time for their real life I dunno how wed get the best out of our players if they were run down....

Althooo that would be sweet to see lol I say that cause porto has dominated the portguese liga since the early 80's lolol. I wouldnt have to worry about qualification I just gotta' hope the league makes the cut lolol very questionable just like my grammar lol....
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I do really like this idea. It would be tough for the players, but it could be somehow integrated with the whole club world cup but every two years and on a larger scale. It wouldn't be terrible for top clubs to play in, as most have largely untested players that could play in the majority of these matches. I'd love to see it all the same
Jeroen (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I like the idea as well (actually though of something similar a couple of years ago), but players have been (rightfully) complaining about the great number of games already. Adding more competitions will just lower the high standards as they'll simply be unfit for the majority of the games
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Should chelsea61 be checked for any sort of brain matter?
That's funny and no I'm not reterded just posing a question that seems to have had quite a few responses. The question has already been put forth about the legitimacy of the MLS on the world stage and obviously a majority of footytubers think its at the bottom of the world in terms of talent. So why shouldn't they be included in a world wide tournament it would certainly drive the owners of the MLS teams to search harder and spend more money on talent thus improving the quality of the league and popularity of the sport
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
They should be in worldwide tournaments. Heres how it works though. Great players come from all places. Namely south america and europe Then the big european teams (who have the most money) buy all the best players. Most people watch the big teams because they have the best players, and the most money. Consequently they win the most games and are the most famous and the cycle continues. UEFA champions league is very much a worldwide tournament already, there are all the best players from all around the world in it!
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
MLS clubs have a salary cap, don't they? They will never be able to compete with any top league in Europe until they get rid of that for a start.

No MLS team will be on a par with even a mediocre Premiership side or a the foreseeable future so to expect them to go up against the cream of Europe is out of the question
I don't know much about the MLS like if they have a sallary cap or what. But didn't the L. A. Galaxy sign David Beckham for some crazy amount of money like 250 million dollars?
Yeah but I'm sure each club is permitted one player that doesn't come under the wage cap. They can pay one player whatever they feel, basically!
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
Yea, salt is right. The MLS has a salary cap and each team had the opportunity to sign a designated player that can earn millions of dollars with only $415, 000 going into the teams salary.
P. S. Chelsea61 the UEFA champions league is not a worldwide tournament. If your not part of UEFA you can't compete in it. If they want to be in a worldwide tournament then they have to win the concacaf champions league
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Yea what I was saying that UEFA is only for europe but if you mean world wide comps why not. Don't think they would do particularly well but still why not?

And don't MLS have like similar to A-league with a "marque" player who can get paid more then everyone else.

Also MLS may be improving rapidly but they are technically still s**t compared to european clubs
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 5 years ago
Sorry but No!  Uefa = Europe, not North America...
SP8884 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
MLS have their own version of champions league.... If they cannot dominate that then what's the point of even attempting to play in UEFA champions league.... If they truly want to be up against the best they can get their opportunity in the annual World Club Cup in Japan
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
UEFA stands for Union of European Football Associations, MLS stands for Major League Soccer, they don't even call it football, I don't think the MLS would fit in haha. Besides, like other people have said there is a concacaf Champions League and MLS teams rarely even win that, they are usually knocked off by teams from La Liga Mexicana
Ltm017 5 years ago
No I agree with everyone else. It would be kind of weird. Plus yeah it is for Europe so it really wouldn't make sense but men.... Some people don't have to be so mean about it
Don't worry my feelings aren't hurt or anything like that its just a question I thought might stir up some controversy and so it has. I knew the moment I hit enter that this subject would bring more hate than love. Just look at any of the other posts involving the MLS. Most people see it as a bush league that has no merit in world football and I myself live in Canada but have no affinity for the MLS. I also was unhappy when the league was founded and they decided to call it Major League Soccer. The word makes my skin crawl. Even if UEFA decided to experiment by adding a couple of teams from outside Europe in the Champions League tournament I'm under no illusion as to how good the teams that play in Europe are. They're best in the world. I just thought I would pose the question to see how open to the subject footytubers were
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I think everyone hit the nail on the head with this one.
1. Impractical - flights will be ridiculous and pretty expensive when everything adds up
2. UEFA - Union of European Football Associations, so having a concacaf team to play in that defeats its purpose.... That's why there is a concacaf Champions League.
3. If hypothetically, UEFA allows MLS to play in the UEFA Champions League, then the other Federations like conmebol (South America) and AFC (Asia) among others will want to join even though they already have the Copa Libertadores and Asian Champions League.
4. Even if MLS teams were allowed, they would get whooped on for a lack of better words
5. MLS wouldn't generate a big enough increase revenue for UEFA compared to the costs of including them for them to accept it.
6. I will guarantee that none of us will see an MLS team in the UEFA Champions League during our lifetime in its current format. The World Club Cup will probably be the only competition that will include all the Federations under FIFA for the time being.
7. Similar argument as my 3rd point, but you aren't going to have the USA competing at EURO 2012 or whatever year because USA has its own federation. That's why they play in the Gold Cup and Copa America sometimes.

Sorry Chelsea61, this question was meant to get you ridiculed sorta
I knew before I posted that this topic was a loaded question. The reason I asked was more to pick the brains of fellow footytubers. Beleive me I know that the logistics of having teams from all over the world compete is impractical to say the least. The subject has certainly stirred up some interesting comments though
Don't worry, Mate! I'm sure we all know that you had the best of intentions!

I certainly see the merit of a decent World Club Championship as the existing one doesn't really excite many people and I think that a bigger competition that encompasses more leagues would certainly spark more interest. It would be very tricky because there is always some league somewhere in the world that is being played so somebody would always have to miss out. But I think you were certainly right to pose some form of question about this! A more level playing field may appear in years to come but for now it's all just a wonderful dream!
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
That would be really weird to have MlS included in the UEFA champions league.... It just not belongs there
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think definately not, it is a european competition, it makes no sense to fly half way round the world to play one game. The way that mls teams can compete against european teams is in the club world championship at the end of every season. I think that this tournement should become bigger and include more teams, it would make participating alot more worthy if there were loads of teams in it. At the moment there is only like 8-10 teams who participate.
But yeah, no mls in the uefa(european) champions league it just wouldnt make sense
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Mr. Chelsea61,

Even though you make a very valid point in saying that the addition of MLS teams to the UEFA would give the league a boost, I still don't agree with the fact that they should just be given free opportunities to the cup for many reasons.

The more obvious reason, and less important one, is that this competition is strictly a European competition. This leads me to the main reason: if you are going to add more teams from other continents, I can think of atleast 5 other country leagues outside Europe that offer much better and more competitive football and definitely deserve a spot more than MLS teams. Simply put, MLS shouldn't just get a free pass to the UEFA just so they can get better.

Finally, it is entirely up to the MLS and MLS team owners to revive the sport in north America, it is not the European soccer's duty. I live in Canada as well, and I would LOVE to see the MLS and football become a popular sport here

Kick4Life - changing lives through football