Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should The Ireland V France Match Be Replayed?
Lukas (Chelsea) 5 years ago
The same thing happened in 2005 and it was replayed but as fifa is literually france I don't think it will happen fair play my arse
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
It is impossible to re playing a game. If this happens. Each of the next decision will be discussed. Each error arbitration will be replayed? If fifa replay the match, everybody will appeal. Penalty not whistled for want violent goals that crosses the line.
You just accepted arbitration and all this video would not have happened
Midssi10 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Agree.... It should never be a replay. The only thing is the referee should never allowed a goal when it was in ambiguity. If there is ambiguity, the ref should've asked his assistants, a few players, than only come to a decision whether the goal is given or not. Its that simple
There was a lot of games replay looooool

Then we must replay Argentina - England quarter-final World Cup 1986 (hand maradona)

Australia must play again - italy eighth World Cup final in 2006 (there was no penalty on grosso)

It must replay Chelsea - Barcelona semi final champion's league (no penalty whistled)

It must replay France-South Korea World Cup 2006 (goal of viera who has crossed the line)
Mastro21 (Inter Milan) 5 years ago
Can somebody please tell me why everyone thinks grosso dives....
1. Their was no need for the australian to slide in that situation, what so ever! Lol
2. He turns his body into grosso's legs.... YES grosso goes down easily but what do you want him to do? The player is needlessly in his way. And finally!
3. Out of all your examples, the ref made the call in this game, he didn't miss it!
Mastro21 (Inter Milan) 5 years ago
But I still agree with you though, if you replay this game because of an error, what makes this game so special that it has to be relplayed compared to all other games...
In my opinion, a replay should only be played if:
1. Both of the teams requesting it, or
2. The team that won the game before, requesting a replay.

I think Arsene Wenger of Arsenal has done this before (I don't remember when). He actually requesting a replay even though his team has won the previous game
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
The reason people are calling for a replay here was because it happened less than a week ago. It was a blatent, horrible looking cheat that completely changed the game and almost everyone apart from the FFF and FIFA want a replay. It made France look like a nation of cheaters (which they are not), it made the French team look embarrassing (which they are not) and it just was a terrible, shameful way to win such an important hard fought match. That's why.

The fact you have to go back 23 years to the Hand of God goal to find something even comparable should explain exactly why the world was outraged about this
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
I think staring to replay games at this point would be dangerous. As we saw with the Eduardo suspension earlier this season it's so difficult to bring rules/punishments into effect during a season. Unless clubs know about the potential pitfalls of committing these acts during a game before the season starts they have every right to appeal and get every decision overturned.

There is no real precedent for this kind of thing, either. The Bahrain - Uzbekistan that the first post in this thread alludes to was a technical error by the officials and not simply a case of "missing" a handball.

I'm disgusted with the way Ireland have been knocked out but starting to replay a match because of this kind of thing could well lead the game down a slippery slope. All we'll get is a potential ban for Henry (which will inevitably be overturned on appeal!) that will expire before the World Cup kicks off and all the tired old arguments about video technology. As long as we have the elderly men of FIFA in charge of our sport we'll remain rooted in the past technologically speaking. The entire organisation would need an overhaul in order to spark any radical changes and there's no way that will happen.

We are stuck with yet another blot on the copybook of football
You are absolutely right salt. If you replay this game. Each club, each country may apply to replay a game for stupid things. They will refer to France - Republic of Ireland and ask that we apply the same penalty. Is the end of football.
You just turn the video on the arbitration issue phases
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Franboy, the end of football is yet occurring. World famous players cheat and then exult like nothing has happened. That's not sport anymore.

I find your attempts to make people accept this result quite unuseful and hurting. This match won't be repeated, but this won't solve anything. France will have a bad time at the world cup, as anyone will remember how they qualified. So, in such an embarassing situation, I would rather not talk for a while
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 5 years ago
In an ideal world, given the exceptional situation (world cup playoff) and the absolute parity between the teams, the match should be repeated in a neutral field. Anyway, I perfectly understand the danger coming from such a decision: from that moment, any arbitral error would be officially contested and anyone would ask to repeat matches for any reason, often ridiculous.
This happens because we are very far from living in the best of all possible worlds, as some idiots used to say.

But there is another way.
If the French federation asked to repeat the game together with the Irish one, FIFA could simply allow the repetition. No precedent would be created, since FIFA would not impose anything, but simply accept a joint decision by BOTH federations. So the exceptionality of the situation would be preserved, and France would regain its reputation.

But these are useless words, they will never do it....
Fair play my arse, as the first guy said.
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
You pretty much summed up anything I could write here but you did it in a more elegant and tactful way than I probably could right about now
Same opinion. But will the France do it? BIG question
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
No then all teams that suffers this kind of things will want a replay
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
I hope the match would be replayed in a neutral stadium. But somehow Blatter and Platini won't do that. Like, which French would want a confirmed win to just slip out of their hands? Ireland pretty much got punished for not finishing their chances, especially the Duff 1 v 1 with the goalkeeper and yet he shoot the ball straight to Lloris
The game will not be replayed.  If it was to be replayed. Why play the meeting in a neutral stadium?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
According to Graham Poll on Sky News this morning there is no chance of the game being replayed due to the fact that the hand ball was missed and not an incorrect decision.

Games cannot be replayed or decisions overturned if something has simply just not been seen, had for example, the ref seen the hand ball in the box and awarded a throw in or something (stupid example but you know with refs like Graham '3 cards' Poll about anything is possible) then the decision is illegal and a replay is called.

This has happened in the past when a replay was called due to a ref giving an indirect free kick after encroachment on a penalty instead of ordering a retake.

In fact as I type this FIFA have announced the game cannot and will not be replayed.

I feel for the Irish team and it's fans and will miss them in the finals
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
FIFA have dashed the Republic of Ireland's hopes replaying their World Cup qualifying play-off with France.

The world governing body ruled that the result cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed.

Fifa said in a statement: "fifa has today 20 November 2009 replied to the request made by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) to replay the 2010 FIFA World Cup play-off match held on 18 November 2009 between France and the Republic of Ireland in Paris.

"In the reply, FIFA states that the result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed. As is clearly mentioned in the Laws of the Game, during matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final. "

The FIFA source said: "There is no way the game can replayed"
Aliko (Barcelona) 5 years ago
And this is the right thing.... Decisions are to be made in the 90 min of the gameplay and not after the game ended!
Reyhan37 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Please see my topic, "Contact fifa" posted in The Stands. Why don't we, the fans, do something about this rather than just talk about it amongst ourselves?
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Human error is part of life and it has always been part of football.

This sucks for Ireland, but it's the way it goes sometimes. You can't replay it
Tony (footytube staff) 5 years ago
I don't agree the way france won, but I don't think a replay would solve anything, we would be having replays every week.... Lol, best thing to do is learn from it, and move on, but don't brush it under the carpet, do something about it now, to save the irelands of the future
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yeah tony defintly agree with you if they let this game replay it would be a major choas between fifa and the countries and also the clubs. Then clubs are going to do the same with diving ask to play a replay this not the way it works henry should have known better
Lukas (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yeah but the world cup is different
Gomlee (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Won't happen, it would be fair to do so but the people higher up won't let a smaller nation have a chance at a rematch. France is through.... Deal with it. Tough luck it has to be said, henry deserves a ban
Amicodinessuno (Inter Milan) 5 years ago
If ireland would have just put one of their many chances they had before and after the 1-0 away there would be no need for this discussion.
Hopp schwiiz
Samicel (Barcelona) 5 years ago
People, what in the world are we talking here? Why do you guys pity Ireland so BAD? They had many, many, many chances to win that game. They got lazy and content with a 1-0 win instead of going and kicking France's lil behind! So, now they want a replay? Right, like that's EVER gona happen. As some of you have said, they had 90 min to score plenty of goals, had enormous chances to do that, yet they didn't take advantage of them. Pity? Heck no! I'm glad France went on. They proved that they fought to the end. Hand-ball or not, they worked their butts off and they deserve to go through. Ireland should just learn from this experience and not let chances just slip through their fingers like that. Maybe in 5 years...
Lytsdb (Barcelona) 5 years ago
We are not talking about some puny club in the county here, it deals with nations and national football associations. While, I don't think a replay is possible (unfortunately) because of the endless repercussions it could have.... I firmly believe that the player responsible and the officials who have brought this shameful calamity on the game should not go unpunished

Kick4Life - changing lives through football