Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Should John Terry Remain As England Captain?
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I'm curious to know what the opinions are of Chelsea and England fans, should John Terry remain as their captain after allegedly having an affair with a former team mates partner. If Terry was to resign as captain who would you like to see step into his boots I. E. Gerrard, Ferdinand, Lampard, Rooney.... ...
Xminer (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Here are your options:

Rio ferdinand: The 31-year-old Manchester United defender has a conviction for drink driving and a number of bans for speeding. In June 2000 he was videoed in a booze-fuelled orgy, also involving Frank Lampard, in the Cypriot resort of Ayia Napa.

In 2003 he failed to attend a mandatory drug test and was banned for eight months.

Wayne rooney: In 2004 the Manchester United star, now 24, admitted to being 'young and foolish' after visiting prostitutes.

Frank lampard: Apart from the Ayia Napa incident, the Chelsea star, 31, was twice accused of cheating on his exfiancee Elen Rives.

After 9/11, he and team-mates including Terry were accused of drunkenly mocking American tourists at Heathrow.

Stevie2010 4 years ago
Xminer what would you do or what do you think will happen?
Carlo Ancelotti has done the right thing announcing he will not lose the Chelsea arm band.... In mind mind it all lies in Cappelo's hands, I think he is fairly wise, whatever he decides will be correct for the team.

If I was Terry I would briefly apologize to my team mates, and talk long and honestly with Cappelo. If Cappelo can get behind Terry to keep the Captaincy then there is no problem, the team will fall in line, Terry can captain and JOE can make another stab and getting to a WC final as if nothing happened.... Without the support and understanding of the coach, he will probably give up the captaincy because he will not be able to command those idealistic or hypocritical teammates who may not want to respect his command or be willing to leave his personal life off the field. In that case I say give it to Rooney, or Lampard.... Again a crime in my mind against Terry, as I am sure they have their own sins in the closet.

No question in mind after watching him play Burnley he is capable of playing football through the scandal as long as he has the support of his team....

I love John Terry and don't really care about the scandal, I feel bad that it happened, and I wish for his sake it hadn't, but, none the less, I still love watching him play.

Stevie2010 4 years ago
It has been hinted on the news today that there is more scandal to present it's self soon
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Hmm great question, based in recent form and history in leadership skills I would have to say Give it back to Becks.

I want everyone to be able to read the following and decide for themselves there response.

Last month, Terry was given a reminder of his responsibilities as captain from a senior member of England’s coaching team. It followed allegations, denied by the player, that he was paid £10, 000 ($18, 083) for offering a secret tour of Chelsea’s training ground.

In recent months he has endured a spate of humiliating headlines about his family members. His father Ted was filmed allegedly arranging to pass a Class A drug to an undercover reporter, while his mother, Sue, and Sue Poole, his mother-in-law, were cautioned for shoplifting after being caught with £800 worth of clothes and groceries from Tesco and Marks & Spencer.

And for the record, I like Jon Terry and I pray these things would shake him back into focus on football, cause he could very well be suspended or miss the games because of th legal action against him
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Shocking info mate if it is all true especially the stuff about his parents
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Honestly I don't know what to believe about these headlines. But really terry has been great as england captain, and as we all know, he is a natural born leader. He does great on the pitch and is an obvious starter for england as well. So when it comes to how things work on the field, I think we should leave the armband with terry. If we see that these headlines do affect his role and the amount of respect the other players have for him though, maybe then it would be a good decision to give it to someone else. For now though, leave the captain alone
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
My pick is only of course if Terry relinquishes the crown or us forced out of captaincy
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I think he will remain and will want to prove his worth and repair his off field reputation as he has let a lot of people down, but he will be even more determined on the field than he ever has before which was seen in yesterdays game when he got the winner
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I really would see Gerrard as the suitable captain for England's nationa team. He does his job at Liverpool very well and at the national team it wouldn't be that worse! Just give him this chance
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Yeah good call, my original choice when Becham stepped down was Gerrard (my favourite Liverpool player) but I would go for Rooney
PepeLePewPew (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I agree. Gerrard is the likely candidate, who always has the fighting spirit.

Regarding Terry, I think the captaincy should be decided by the team, because if the team still trusts him and believes in his captaincy abilities, he shouldn't be dismissed. If not, well then...
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
It would very likely be Wayne Rooney. He assumed the Captaincy in Englands last game against Brazil when Terry sat out due to an injury. England have many suitable players to take on the leadership role but I'm pretty sure it Won't be Beckham. He gave it up last WC after the responsibility seemed too stressfull due to Englands poor results in Germany
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I agree I would hand the arm band over to Wayne Rooney as he is at the top of his game at the moment and has matured as a person over the past few years, he is a born winner. I originally wanted Steven Gerrard to become the England captain when Becham stepped down
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think the key word when it comes to Wayne Rooney is maturity. It wasn't too long ago that he had a host of disciplinary problems, but over the last 2 years he's really calmed down. At this point, given his form and overall icon of English football, I think Rooney would be a great captain
Ltm017 4 years ago
I don't see what it is about Rooney.... I think if anything it should be Gerrard. Rooney still needs to grow up in some way even though he is at the top of his game.

Best player doesn't equal captain IMO
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Rooney has the problem of seeing red when games don't go his way, both in an anger sense and in a ref's card way. If your captain is sprinting around throwing his arms at the ref or punching the corner flag with frustration, the rest of the team will fall apart. Give the armband to someone with a level head
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Hi Ant
I think that side of his game would improve with the added responsibility, but I think he might need to wait a while as John Terry will probably remain as Captain, I know England is a bigger international team than Scotland but the SFA made an example of Barry Ferguson when they stripped him of the captaincy and banned him from representing Scotland this was due to him having a laugh with the media. His ban is now lifted and the present manager can sellect him. How can players who work with John Terry trust him as he betrayed a team mate?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I can't see the problem with john terry carrying on as england captain, its as if he was the first person ever to indulge in this sort of behavior, let him without sin cast he first stone.... Lol.
It could pose a problem if terry and bridges our called up for the world cup.
But I think the f. A. Don't want to jeopardise englands chances of silverware for the sake of a shag.
If there is to be a replacement, I would plump for gerrard or ferdinand
I agree with Tony completely. And I'm not one to get all biblical but I like this quote. "Judge not lest yee be judged". Chelsea didn't judge him and he retained his place on the team and his role as team captian against Burnley today. He also scored the game winner. How do you like them apples?
Ltm017 4 years ago
All I'm saying is.... Everyone does something wrong once and awhile. People make mistake so I don't think all should fall down because he did something wrong.

But my thing is.... The affair thing is pretty close to home don't you think? How are you going do that to a teammate.... Wow....

Either way.... Everyone does something wrong once and people need should know that because you are in the public eye everything is two or three times worse than it would be if any one of us did it....
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Nobody is perfect so I think he should remain as England's manager because he always has been a good one and I don't think just by making one mistake we should start judging him and questioning his qualification as one...
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Hi Dsean if John Terry was to resign as captain who do you think should takeover from him? .
I don't think he will resign as he is a fighter he may offer his resignation to both club and country but I think it will be rejected by both parties and John Terry will play out of skin for club and country
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
@ Chelsea61, not to get all biblical but every heard of the 10 commandments? "You shall not commit adultery"
Wags, you gotta' luv em.... !
Ltm017 4 years ago
Well since you are quoting scriptures here let me point out. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your heart and Love thy neighbor as thyself these two are the greatest"

So therefore if you follow these two then it covers all the other ones you are talking about
Wheres the wags name in all of this? , I couldn't even tell you her name, bar she was married to wayne bridge.
Christ.... !.... You would think its a rape case, its all johns fault, well I'm sorry, but none of us know what went on, she could have taken advantage of him for all we know, could have been alcohol involved who knows? , we've all done stupid things through alcohol, but you can't blacken a guys name because of a bit of hows your father, who hasnt done it? .... Ahemmm.... I havent
In England there are 11 comandments. Number 11 being thou shalt not cost your country the Cup, and in fine print it says if the adultry rule and the Cup rule collide the Cup rule superceeds.
Is he not, arguably, one of the best Center backs in the world? Leave him alone...
Theshid (Liverpool) 4 years ago
John Terry must continue to be England's captain, people got to let people's private live alone on the pitch you can say any bad things about the man he's always been very professional. Anyway it's very rare to see a great player who doesn't makes any mistake. He's a man like all of us. If he no longer captain I think that can truly affect him , he always did his job let him be
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I think he will remain in his position and will be more determined than ever on the field as was proved yesterday with his winner, he has a lot of work to do off the field to repair his reputation though
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Either give it back to Beckham or hand it to Gerrard. Beckham has shown time and time again how much of a professional he really is. Gerrard would be a good inspiration for the team. If Terry really did have an affair then that should eliminate one from captaincy. A captain is supposed to lead by example and clearly Terry can't get riches and fortunes out of his head. No one wants their captain to be corrupt, they want them to be noble
Stevie2010 4 years ago
It would be wonderfull for Becham to retire from International football holding up the World Cup but he wants to be around for a good few years yet, Rooney is without doubt going to be a permanent fixture in Englands team for many years and I think if and only if John Terry resigned then Rooney should start his reign. Gerrard is a perfect replacement for John Terry but he won't be here as long as Rooney. Having said all that I think John Terry will remain as the Chelsea and England captain
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'd give Rooney a shot, he's bound to be captain at some point and he's definitely come of age recently. If not Rooney then Stevie G for sure
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I agree mate but I think John Terry will remain the Chelsea and England captain
Jumpking (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Stevie G deserves it more than rooney I think at least until he retires
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I would welcome that
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
He should. His personal life isn't really meant to have any part in his football life. All we need to know is that he is as great defender and that's why he's captain and just because of this he should stay.

If he was to resign or be stripped of the armband, I think Gerrard would be my first choice for the band. Then lampard, rooney and not really ferdinand, I don't think he has had a good enough seasson to be awarded something like this because his fellow centre back has had problems with his affairs and his wife and all that blahdy blah that I'm not bothered with
Stevie2010 4 years ago
It's all about respect Yogan, how can you respect a captain who has betrayed a team mate, captains are ment to set an example in the way they play and conduct themselves both on and off the park, The captain of England is the captain 24/7 not just for 90mins.
But he will remain as England captain at least for the duration of the World Cup
Devang (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Terry needs to apologize and that's it. These people are professionals. They don't have to be chummy to play well together. I'm not sure that Terry is such a great captain, but I think that if the players respect him, it's because of how he defends, how he understands the game, and how he gives 100% for 90 minutes. I don't think that respect for him is based on who he is and isn't screwing.
Besides, Wayne Bridge's girlfriend is just as much a villain here as John Terry. Maybe the fact that Terry demonstrated to Bridge just was a slut she was should be seen as a favor
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Nice one mate I have to point out that she wasn't his girl friend she is his wife lol
Jumpking (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Since when is being human a serious issue? JT is a class act and I'm sure there is waaaay more to this adultery story that meets the eye. Probably just journo BS that blew it out of proportion. And since when is a person held accountable for their families actions? I say he keeps the capt's badge, he deserves it as a player
Or the case of? .... A bridge too far? .... Lol
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Hey Jumpking he will keep the arm band.
Tony lol nice one.
I wonder what would happen if the England manager messed around with one of the English WAGS would he keep his job? Would he still have the respect within the dressing room?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
What I am wondering is not so much how this will effect Terry's position in the England squad but how will it effect Wayne Bridge's.

There is a worrying trend in football where the more talented a player is the more their indiscretions are overlooked.

Wayne has been on the fringes of the England squad since his days at Southampton it is only the fact that Ashely Cole's more attacking nature is favoured that he hasn't been a regular starter. This was the case not only for England but also when he was at Chelsea.

There can be no way they can ever play in the same side again which surely will but the end to Wayne's England career until Terry is no longer one of the first names one the sheet.

As for the captaincy if Terry does give it up the popular suggestions here are Gerrard,Rooney or Lampard. Lets have a look at those candidates.

Rooney: There is no doubting the boys passion but he is still likely to get a bit heated when things aren't going his way. As a role model and a moral compass he is wanting a bit after admitting using a prostitute (The old granny remember Link: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/358... ).

Gerrard: On the pitch I don't think you could get a better captain for Liverpool he basically drags the team along. As for off the pitch he has recently had to goto trial for hitting someone. Although found not guilty on the grounds of self defence there are thoughts he got off lightly.

Lampard: Would make a very good captain only reason he isn't is probably due to the strength of Terry and Gerrard. However if Terry cannot be captain due to an extra marital affair then that also rules out Lampard who cheated on his ex fiancee (Link: www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/177603/Bed-card-for-... obviously it's the news of the world so take with a pinch if salt but the story remains uncontested)
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Hi Matt
You stated some good points there, the life of a footballer lol, yeah there seems to be skeletons in everyones cupboard and no one seems to be squeaky clean, Rooney wasn't Man Utd's Captain, Rooney wasn't the England Captain, Rooney wasn't married, Rooney never screwed a team mates wife big difference mate, How can you trust a captain who screwed a team mates wife, I certainly couldn't but I think he will remain as the Chelsea & England Captain an Wayne Bridges England career is over
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
Rooney was engaged at the time, no he wasn't captain but if we are judging these players moral fiber than surely the past is important.

Yes I agree having an affair with a mates wife is disgusting but I don't know if my wife would see much difference if I went and hired a granny for a shag
Stevie2010 4 years ago
My girl friend would give me the boot and would loose all respect for me.  Rooney was young and naieve (if that's how its spelt lol).
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Looks like Terry will be in the headlines for a while now, leading up to the world cup. As a supporter of CFC, I'll be the first to admit that its embarrassing to put it mildly and there won't be too many excuses made from sensible folk. What's obvious though, is that the media and tabloids alike are pushing sensationalism to new heights. I'm fairly convinced the task of being captain is fast becoming irrelevant in the England squad, other than press-gatherings and photoshoots. The first team has a group of players that are all mentally tough and/or have been long enough in the squad to know what's to be done at any given junction in the match. Terry was handpicked by Mclaren and Capello because he was the guy with the most characteristics as a captain(many might say no, but that's not the arguement here)in a team containing Gerrard, Rio F, Rooney, Lampard etc. The judge who overruled that super-injunction said Terry is a "robust personality" and should be able to deal with it. He is by far the best CB England have today, the captain as well. If they strip him off his captaincy just for this reason, may as well go the entire length and push him out of the squad. If Wayne Bridge really is pissed off(for good reason too), he won't want to stop at Terry losing his armband, he'd want him out altogether.

All this talk about the rest of the English squad losing respect for him, is that really the case? They all probably knew of the kind of guy he was anyway. It's not obtuse for them to figure out since many have been on the same boat and money along with girls throwing themselves at the glorified frat boys makes a footballer happy in the pants. It's not even entirely surprising to hear this about Terry, is it? There has been quite a history behind his exploits off the field. It's the way he has always been and despite that lets his football do the talking on the pitch, while being an impressive leader on it. Wouldn't surprise me one bit of he stayed the captain of the country.

At the end of the day, here's what should and probably could happen. Terry acknowledging what he did was stupid and wrong, always pays to be apologetic if its really meant that way. Terry and his wife talking about this, among themselves in their mansion. Bridge and the mother of his child, talking about this in the other mansion. Terry going over to Bridge's house to apologise and letting him take 3 free shots. Preferably two in the nuts, well deserved
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Or they go the full hog and do a celebrity wife swap lol
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
If they where to Kick Terry out of the captain position I would want Gerrard to have a go. He deserves the armband after all these years - I would like to see him become captain before he retires. So I'd Give him a go for a while, Rooney's time will come he should get it in the future
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I can't argue with that Kaden Rooney's time will come, I was watchin Sky Sports this morning and it seems like the FA are going to have a meeting with John Terry

Kick4Life - changing lives through football