Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Shhhhhhh It's Olympic Football
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Well that was weird.

After being starved of football for what seems like an eternity I approached my sofa last night with a hop and a skip in my step to settle down and enjoy the opening Team GB match against Senegal. There was Lineker, Hanson and Robbie 'cause I'm worth it' Savage doing the punditry we had player interviews and the required "can we win gold" hype (short answer 'no'). Out came the players to a fanfare (and the right flags), national anthems were sung, the stadium was full to the rafters and the game kicked off....

It was at this point it became clear something was wrong, I checked the sound settings on my TV and the cabling everything was fine there but why could I not hear the crowd?

Never in history have so many people been so quiet for so long. It was very odd no one knew what to do, then finally there was some reaction from the crowd, a negative reaction but a reaction none the less, a giant boo rang out. The commentators were confused why were the home crowd booing Bellamy? What had he done? Was it Manchester faithful getting on to a Liverpool player?

Nope, none of that in fact Bellamy had done nothing wrong, the crowd did not hate him he was just unlucky enough to be in possession when a Mexican Wave broke down in the crowd. That is right the biggest reaction during the first competitive Team GB match in 60(?) odd years was aimed at the lack of people standing up and then sitting down again.

The slightly dull match did not help get the crowd onside but that did not answer why this crowd was so quiet. I can only guess it was a mixture of people being there who simply had been randomly assigned tickets; The fact that 'GB' is hard to work into a song/chant; Fans finding it hard to support players they would normally oppose during a standard international. It is hard to say.

One thing is for certain Stuart Pearce's men will not be able to count on the usual boost a home team gets, which is a shame.
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Lol I think you nailed it in the title. It's olympic football…'nuff said. I certainly won't be buying a ticket.

I can't wait for the Prem to start with some real action and real fans again
Northgreen (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Hahahaha
Vishal024 (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Excellent, well written
Calskii (Manchester United) 2 years ago
LOl, if you ask me gbr had alot of ball but didn't use it!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football